PGR 5? Launch title for Next-Box? Possible Mid-May announcement?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
May 21st cannot come soon enough! PGR5 on the NexBox is pretty much the stuff my dreams are made of!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/08/next-gen-xbox-getting-project-gotham-racing-reboot/

Lucid Games, the UK independent studio formed by former Bizarre Creations staff in 2011, is teasing "mid-May" news of some kind, a window that happens to match up with the expected May 21 reveal of the next Xbox. A recent status update on the studio's Facebook page reads: "So yeah, Mid-May will be interesting for the studio. We have some exciting updates coming. Stay tuned!"

On the same day, Lucid Games re-posted the above image, first published earlier this year. It clearly hints at a 2013 racing game set in London. Given the studio's origins and the timing, it's not a giant leap to say we may be looking at a new Project Gotham Racing game.

Rumors of a return for PGR go as far back as 2010, when, according to a Develop source, it emerged Microsoft was looking for a European developer to take on the series.

When approached, a Lucid Games spokesperson told us he "can't say anything at the moment."

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I freaking loved the PGR games this generation. A new one would be a day one buyer for me.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 57 Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Forza is an awesome sim, but I never had more fun with a driving game than I did with PGR, especially PGR 2 on Xbox and Metropolis Street Racer (Dreamcast) before that!!!

I'm in...I do hope that my Fanatec wheel will work with the next gen consoles, or hope that Fanatec will be able to release a bluetooth dongle that will let it work with the consoles (can't recall if the PS3 dongle was bluetooth or not). Not looking to dump another $500 on a wheel/pedal setup anytime soon!

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #4 of 57 Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I'm in on two conditions- One- the next PGR has to feel like PGR2. PGR3 and 4 were pretty much shallow eye candy, whereas PGR2 felt like an ultra challenging, yet fun full on arcade racing game. Two- Make sure that owners of the currently available Fanatec wheels can use them on the next gen consoles.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #5 of 57 Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
PGR 1 is still my favourite. I would love a new PGR, NFS is seeming more and more pointless with every iteration.
post #6 of 57 Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I'm surprised people would want to wear out a fairly pricey mid-range wheel like a Fanatec with an arcade racer but I hope it works out. Doing something like the cone challenges with a wheel though is going to be harsh on your equipment and probably will increase your difficulty.

Glad to see PGR hopefully making a comeback. I too hope for a return to the physics of PGR2. I also hope the car variety is similar instead of focusing on million dollar sportscars like PGR3 did. I liked how PGR2 had a little bit of everything.

The most fun in PGR2's online mode was in lower car classes where you could focus more on racing and finesse. With some of the faster cars, you really had to pace yourself and be careful on some of the tight and narrow courses.

But with a low end vehicle, it was all about racing your opponents.
post #7 of 57 Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
If they could capture lightning in a bottle again and give us a worthy follow up to PGR2 I'd be more than pleased. I like Forza, don't get me wrong, and Horizon is an excellent game, but I yearn for PGR2.

post #8 of 57 Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I'm surprised people would want to wear out a fairly pricey mid-range wheel like a Fanatec with an arcade racer but I hope it works out. Doing something like the cone challenges with a wheel though is going to be harsh on your equipment and probably will increase your difficulty.

Glad to see PGR hopefully making a comeback. I too hope for a return to the physics of PGR2. I also hope the car variety is similar instead of focusing on million dollar sportscars like PGR3 did. I liked how PGR2 had a little bit of everything.

The most fun in PGR2's online mode was in lower car classes where you could focus more on racing and finesse. With some of the faster cars, you really had to pace yourself and be careful on some of the tight and narrow courses.

But with a low end vehicle, it was all about racing your opponents.

I like using the PWTS wheel for all racing games where a manual transmission is an option. It would be nice to use it with PGR but I definitely hope I can for Forza 5. May not be able to though if Microsoft dumps the 2.4GHz wireless tech in favor of something else proprietary. If they go with bluetooth hopefully I can still use the BT adapter it came with for the PS3.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #9 of 57 Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have a bad feeling about my Fanatec compatibility for the next Xbox. It can hook up via USB or possibly bluetooth, but if they decide to block all old controllers, I doubt they'll make an exception.

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #10 of 57 Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm pretty confident you can count on all your Xbox 360 controllers not being supported.
post #11 of 57 Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I thought Xbox One was using WiDi for its connectivity, not BT....???

Unlike some of you here, I loved PGR3 and PGR4.....PGR4 was somewhat unfinished, some bad issues inside some of the cockpits (not being able to see out of the Ferrari 599 I think was one of them, and some huge polygon gaps in other cockpits....but its one of the last racers that felt as goo din the cockpit as it did from behind the car. Sometimes I played cockpit as a racer, other times from 3rd person as a drifting/kudos game......but man the tracks were great, and the WEATHER was stupid fun. Hong Kong at night in driving rain? biggrin.gif Las Vegas in thick fog!? Canada in the snow? Awesome. And the bikes....yes I loved the bikes too, a great addition. PGR3 was the first game that made me go "oh my god that looks REAL" and some of the textures in that game are truly impressive, even today. I just remember when Gran Turismo 5 finally came out and everyone was going on about how amazing the London Track looked, and as soon as I bought it and raced London I realized the textures were all low rez and the buildings were practically flat polygons.....PGR3 which had come out years earlier looked much better. But I digress....that isn't a slam on GT5, its praise for the work they did with PGR3. Its too bad PT4 felt......not quite fully baked. Setting up a custom game was always a pain in the ass.

I loved PGR2 as well, but I hope they do NOT go back to making us race freakin' Mini's and Mazda Roadsters or SUV's again. Seriously, no NO! It was fine when PGR was trying to be a simulation-heavy arcade racer......but those days are passed and we have enough of those type of games. I absolutely don't want another Gran Turismo clone happening. LEt it stick to exotics, crazy power-sliding, drifting speed machines on full fantasy tracks...or since its next gen, why not make it open world like Horizon? And make it like other PGR 3 and 4 purchases was...it was very easy to buy a new car every few races, so you didn't have to do too much grinding. I'm terrified of the next Gran Turismo because I fear it will be more of the same....."Oh Good, I get to race the Mazda Miata and the Toyota Celica drift-crazy mobile from the late 70's again....10 times...to move up to...the Honda Civic......oh wait, Minis onlly in this series......oh now...5 doors only......oh look, now I have to race Segways!!!! =P ".

Hell I'll still gladly play PGR4 with anyone today......once I get re-used to the forgiving physics anyways.....with a wheel in cockpit mode....phew, great fun.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #12 of 57 Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

So because you didn't enjoy racing slower cars like the Mini or SUVs they shouldn't bring them back? Some of the best times I had with PGR2 was Last Man and King of the Hill and Cat and Mouse, both of which worked with the Mini or slower cars/SUVs. Here's a clue though: You don't have to use those slower cars. You can stick to the fast stuff while letting those of us who like variety do our thing too. What's so hard to understand about that?

post #13 of 57 Old 05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 178
News is out and no backwards compatibility with old controllers.
post #14 of 57 Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I've loved the PGR games,. And I've always disliked the Forza ones. I enjoyed PGR3 and PGR 4. So was there an announcement for PGR5 for the XBOne. If so that is another reason I really want to get a launch XBOne.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #15 of 57 Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Fanatec has stated that they are researching hardware upgrades to make the CSRs compatible with Xbox One.

/ 

post #16 of 57 Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

So because you didn't enjoy racing slower cars like the Mini or SUVs they shouldn't bring them back? Some of the best times I had with PGR2 was Last Man and King of the Hill and Cat and Mouse, both of which worked with the Mini or slower cars/SUVs. Here's a clue though: You don't have to use those slower cars. You can stick to the fast stuff while letting those of us who like variety do our thing too. What's so hard to understand about that?

The Mini's and slower car classes are in both PGR3 and PGR4, what I don't want is a return to the PGR2 formula where the game made me grind out numerous races in classes that prevented me from getting to, say, a Ferrari or Lambo until the last 1/3 of the game. I don't want PGR5 to feel the need to have to 'teach me how to race' again by jamming me in the type of routine that Gran Turismo and, to a lesser degree, PGR2 made me do. Do 5 races in a Mazda Miata, etc, etc. Then get to the mid point in the game and you're stuck having absolutely no choice but to race a half dozen races in an SUV........and if you didn't buy the Porche Cayanne then you'd spend most of your time losing to it every race. smile.gif

I don't want to begrudge any of you your cars smile.gif

I just don't want PGR5 to be another forza/gt in disguise. Its about Kudos, power-sliding, playable from either 1st person or 3rd person....that is what the PGR games are to me. That's why I loved 3 and 4. I loved PGR2 as well, but its single player was truly painful and I never went back to play it because I just completely stopped enjoying it. PGR3 I still played even after PGR4 came out, and its only the fact that its wheel support stinks that I don't still play it today..but still play PGR4.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #17 of 57 Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You'd be begrudging me cars though since unless the game automatically tunes your competitors to your car selection, you're forcing me into faster cars just to compete in the single player career. So I hope the variety and requirements return where you're tasked to race across a wide variety of types of vehicles on a wide selection of courses set around the world. And online multiplayer isn't any good because everyone picks the fastest car that they have available without fail. And the poor driving of online console owners means it's usually not worth the bother to race outside of one's friends list.

And as I recall, PGR3 didn't ship with slow cars but rather had a couple of options added after the fact to enable cat & mouse after criticism that that popular minigame that PGR2 fans created wasn't viable at first. The car selection afterwards was certainly still dominated by a huge margin by modern day supercars. And with at least one or the other, I played through much of it with the first car I bought. I think PGR4 since I've still yet to put a ton of time into PGR3 after all of these years. Didn't even need to upgrade to continue and I think I only ended up switching just for the sake of something different rather than needing extra performance.

I could've never done that with PGR2 and that's the way it should be. The series should be all about variety. There's plenty of games with a focus on the fastest cars possible. Shouldn't be stuck with racing Honda Civics in one of the two popular simcade racer/collectathon series out there to get some variety in physics types. Some of the most fun in PGR2 was where you could focus on the racing rather than just just keeping an eye out for the next turn since the guy that crashed the least in cars that can get to over 200mph in a few seconds was going to win in the tight city courses the series is famous for.

Not much racing when it's always down to the person that memorized the course the best coming out on top. It should be a factor and even an important factor at times, but balance is nice in a series that has always been about diversity. So I think a better compromise would be to mix it up a bit instead of starting out with the slowest car and progressing upwards in speeds. I'd be all for that since as I said three or four times in this post, what makes this series so much fun is the variety and I think mixing it up would just add to the formula.
post #18 of 57 Old 05-24-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

The Mini's and slower car classes are in both PGR3 and PGR4, what I don't want is a return to the PGR2 formula where the game made me grind out numerous races in classes that prevented me from getting to, say, a Ferrari or Lambo until the last 1/3 of the game. I don't want PGR5 to feel the need to have to 'teach me how to race' again by jamming me in the type of routine that Gran Turismo and, to a lesser degree, PGR2 made me do. Do 5 races in a Mazda Miata, etc, etc. Then get to the mid point in the game and you're stuck having absolutely no choice but to race a half dozen races in an SUV........and if you didn't buy the Porche Cayanne then you'd spend most of your time losing to it every race. smile.gif

I don't want to begrudge any of you your cars smile.gif

I just don't want PGR5 to be another forza/gt in disguise. Its about Kudos, power-sliding, playable from either 1st person or 3rd person....that is what the PGR games are to me. That's why I loved 3 and 4. I loved PGR2 as well, but its single player was truly painful and I never went back to play it because I just completely stopped enjoying it. PGR3 I still played even after PGR4 came out, and its only the fact that its wheel support stinks that I don't still play it today..but still play PGR4.

I get what you're saying but I have to disagree with it. I liked going from class to class, getting to experience different types of cars. You also weren't denied using the faster cars; you could race them online right from the get-go. You'd have to unlock a few in each class via single player but that's ok that's the way it's supposed to be. PGR3 and 4 to me took the fun out of the series. It was just all fast cars all the time (don't get me started on the bikes). That and Kudos were made pretty much meaningless which meant progressing online with your friends took a big hit (the online in 3 and 4 were a major step back from 2). I get that some people have a desire to just race fast cars and that's cool, there's nothing wrong with that. It just seems though that it could stand to reason that to experience a true car game you need to experience all types of cars. It's why Forza and GT are so great. You get a taste of what's out there all the way from slow pokes to rockets. Baby steps smile.gif

post #19 of 57 Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess we will agree to disagree.

I don't want a return to the PGR1 or PGR2 days at all, I loved PGR4...PGR3 I loved until PGR4 came out....so to me, building upon what PGR4 was would mean the perfect PGR5 experience. You can keep the short, tight tracks of PGR1 and the Dreamcast game that preceded it and the grinding of SUV levels and slow classes of PGR2, I have neither the time or patience for those 'trials' at this point in my life. I get that you guys like that, I just feel if I want that kind of experience, there are better games out now to do it in...the Gran Turismo or Forza series, for example.

Honestly, Forza Horizon...if you took away the open world part...is where PGR5 needs to be....at least for me.

post #20 of 57 Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

I think I might need to find my PGR4 disc and try it out again this weekend. Plus I need to find the racing wheel. I have no idea where I put that either.

post #21 of 57 Old 05-24-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I guess we will agree to disagree.

I don't want a return to the PGR1 or PGR2 days at all, I loved PGR4...PGR3 I loved until PGR4 came out....so to me, building upon what PGR4 was would mean the perfect PGR5 experience. You can keep the short, tight tracks of PGR1 and the Dreamcast game that preceded it and the grinding of SUV levels and slow classes of PGR2, I have neither the time or patience for those 'trials' at this point in my life. I get that you guys like that, I just feel if I want that kind of experience, there are better games out now to do it in...the Gran Turismo or Forza series, for example.

Honestly, Forza Horizon...if you took away the open world part...is where PGR5 needs to be....at least for me.

Horizon is a somewhat spiritual successor to PGR and I enjoy the open world to be honest. It's changed the way I look at racing games. I'd like to see what they could do with a PGR/Forza style traditional racing game but let us have an overworld to play around in.

post #22 of 57 Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
The bottom line is if the new PGR is more like 2 than it is 3/4, it'll make a lot more people happy and thus result in better sales. PGR2 is a legendary game in the XBOX library, while 3 and 4 are pretty much forgotten afterthoughts.

XBL GT: deathpallie
post #23 of 57 Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

I tried to play PGR4 this weekend but it was a ghost town. Instead I put in another racing game called BLUR. I forgot how much I liked Blur. I had not played it in almost three years. I remember I liked it much better than PGR or Forza. I just wish they would not have cancelled Blur2.

post #24 of 57 Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I tried to play PGR4 this weekend but it was a ghost town. Instead I put in another racing game called BLUR. I forgot how much I liked Blur. I had not played it in almost three years. I remember I liked it much better than PGR or Forza. I just wish they would not have cancelled Blur2.

Blur was typical BC greatness in the racing dept. but I don't think people cared enough about the Mario Kart-esqe gameplay to make it matter. I enjoyed it for what it was; the last racing game BC ever made. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post

The bottom line is if the new PGR is more like 2 than it is 3/4, it'll make a lot more people happy and thus result in better sales. PGR2 is a legendary game in the XBOX library, while 3 and 4 are pretty much forgotten afterthoughts.

Yes, I totally agree.

post #25 of 57 Old 05-27-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Played PGR4 this weekend......there are still times when the in-cockpit graphics just blow me away.........or at least make me go "This is what happens when people give a **** about the games they make".......flying down the alleyways of New York with skyscrapers on either side, motion blur kicking in from inside the cockpit with a couple of other supercars around you jockeying for position.......crank the wheel and drift your way through a corner.....good times. smile.gif

I agree that Forza Horizon is in many ways the cousin to PGR.........if you take the steering off SIMULATION and put it on NORMAL you can play pretty well in 3rd person or 1st person with the joypad....simulation you want a wheel. "Normal" feels like PGR3/4, but the Horizon braking is more sim, less forgiving than PGR3/4.

But I still can't see why you guys want more cone-challenges and slower cars in the game with tiers you have to force yourself though, like in PGR2....but hey, whatever.

In the end if its another PGR game I'm going to buy it no matter what.

post #26 of 57 Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Cone challenges can go away since it's the time trials & racing action (And derivatives like last man standing) that attract me rather than the more gimmicky stuff. Even kudos can go away since I'm perfectly fine with how PGR2-4 were where you can basically ignore the entire kudos system if you desire and play it as a traditional racing game (Unlike how MSR and PGR1 were where it was much more important and focused on it)

As for the lower tiers, I simply didn't feel like I was being forced through them. I enjoyed the variety of car classes. Fun racing action doesn't equate to driving the fastest automobile possible. It's all about driving the vehicle you're in as fast as its limits allow.

And doing that was fun throughout PGR2's car classes. So I see no reason to want that variety not to be there since the 21st century supercars from companies like Ferrari and Lamborghini will surely also be there to scratch that itch.

Did Blur have any straight up racing in single player? I know there was a mode for it in multiplayer that turned off the powerups.
post #27 of 57 Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Leave the cone challenges & kudos system alone!

What I loved most about PGR is that it gave you other driving skills to work on besides beating the clock or coming in first. The "other" events required driving skill, but did not concentrate on turning the absolute fastest lap. There was nothing more fun than hanging the back end out on the Corvette & Ferrari in PGR 1 & 2. Really gave me a new appreciation for cars and the absolute fun (hoonage) you could have driving them. This is also very true in real life. As a C6 owner myself who doesnt have the time/money/effort for track days.. I have yet to put my 430hp car on a real racetrack to see what it or I am capable of.. that said there is still plenty of ways for me to enjoy driving my car (hoonage) without endangering others. Leaving some long black marks or powersliding the back end around empty backroads early in the morning is one of my absolute favourite things to do my car. Getting it sideways always puts a huge smile on a face and has pretty much guaranteed I will own a manual transmission, RWD, torquey V8 car.

FWIW.. I also liked working thru the slower cars to build up to the faster. It taught you to learn the fastest racing line around the track and really fine tuned your driving skill with the controller. A dedicated racing setup & wheel are already fine tuned and makes it easier to drive the most powerful cars without wrecking so much.. but how many people reallly have a dedicated racing rig. I understand what HeadRusch is saying and perhaps there should be a quicker route to access the top tier vehicles.. but you should still have to work your way thru the "A, B, C" licenses to complete "career" mode in the game. Also there should be an "arcade" mode that will let you use any car from the start.. should you so desire.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

post #28 of 57 Old 05-28-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah both options work for me. I understand the developer wants you to enjoy the whole game but casuals aren't gonna grind it out; if they can't get what they want they'll bail. You need those customers just as much as you do the diehards. Give both options, satisfy both parties, and you have a winning formula. The cone challenges were one of my most and least favorite event. Most favorite because I enjoyed the rewards for nailing them, least favorite because I can't count the number of times I'd have a ton of Kudos banked only to fail it because I slipped up at the end on one corner lol. What's the saying, PGR2 was the game you loved to hate? Ah memories...

post #29 of 57 Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Leave the cone challenges alone? No! Bring back the PGR2 cone challenges!

/ 

post #30 of 57 Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I liked the speed camera challenges.

What was different with the later cone challenges? I recall differences but not what they were off hand.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page