Fuse (demo and beyond) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I played the Fuse demo as Naya, since the wormhole weapon sounded cool. Turned out to be QUITE cool. Level 1 in the full game probably won't be as cool as Level 10 was, but as long as your team keeps picking you up, it should be alright. Had one retry since I didn't know I'd have to do some of the picking-up, but after that I kept an eye out.

I really HATE the enemies that take little/no damage except when hit in the backpack. Cloaking helps, but it's still annoying. I guess it's to make up for all the dudes that vanish into wormholes.

This is now another game I'd like to play next, in front of the stuff I wanted to play next then never finished because of the next next. They should outlaw good demos...

LIVE: mikepaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tried to keep playing Defiance earlier. Locked up my 360 for like the third time in two days. Decided I'd play Fuse for a while since I caved in and pre-ordered it. Ran into a bug fairly early on.

Walked into a room where helicopters were flying around outside a window, and all Naya could do was look at them. As I walked in their direction, she looked further up. When I walked right up to the window, the view started spinning. As it was a sort of cut-scene, buttons and other controls did nothing. A door off to the left could be opened and walked through, but only if I walked left while looking outside. Quit the game, restarted, and it was fixed. Nothing truly buggy since. My guess: there's an occasional "Hold Y to look" option for things you might want to focus on, and maybe it was triggered and got stuck.

Game play has a bit of swim to it, where your changes in direction seem a bit laggy. Didn't notice a normal/hard setting when I started, and options don't include a way to change it. It isn't ludicrously easy like the demo, and I've had a few deaths when unfair levels of damage keep knocking Naya down even in what seems to be cover.

Absolutely no help included in the box. Included pamphlet says "Select MANUAL from the main menu to access this game's digital manual". Personally, I like to hit the manual while actually playing. I guess paper cuts too deep into profits now.

Not worth the pre-order for the gameplay bonus I got. You win some, you lose some. Still like it, even when I feel Naya is being abused by an unfair game mechanic. "Unfair" is where you get knocked down all the time and are constantly crawling to your team for the shot of whatever makes you all better. Poor girl will have needle marks everywhere by the time I'm done...

post #3 of 13 Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What's with the reviews? Some of them are getting ludicrous.

Like these dudes. I can understand when a game is buggy, one picks on the fact that the bugs were left in. THESE guys find fault with stuff that just leaves me shaking my head. An explosion to put a hole in a wall doesn't harm the people standing next to it? Horror! The animation of the group jumping into a hole they had to cut in a floor has them doing it less-than-gracefully? Why look for petty crap to complain about if you aren't petty yourself?

Sorry. I realize I'm all alone in posting about this game which is a bad sign. Perhaps down the road, all you'd have to do to say a game is a disaster is mutter the word "Fuse", and wise game aficionados will nod in response. Meanwhile, the first 27 minutes or so of this video contain what I consider Unjustified Fuse Bashing, and it's probably important for warning people who are annoyed that, say, when you blow a hole in a wall the enemies don't all come running and kill you. According to these guys, they must be deaf or something, instead of it being a game mechanic you just go along with. After all, it IS a game...

post #4 of 13 Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did finally notice a way to play on Hard. To upgrade the characters I don't play, I've been quitting to the 'lobby' and accessing them through a menu instead of switching to them and doing it through their own menus.

As I back out through the menus, I noticed that Normal was displayed for the chapter, I guess, that I was working on. Normal could be changed to Easy or Hard.

Hard would probably make me swear even more at the game. Naya can't run. Or, if there's a way to make her run, it's not the semi-standard click left stick. Cloaking and getting behind enemies isn't something you should do at a normal pace, but that's what I end up doing. Really annoying when I see how much good getting behind enemies who are carrying impenetrable Fuse shields would be. Girl needs Wheaties or something.

Naya is at Level 22. The others are at 16. I am not sure the skill points I'm applying are being used by the AI characters. I upgraded the grenades to have 'Fuse tendrils', but if they throw any I can't tell in the firefights we end up having. No sign that I'll ever get an upgrade that lets me carry more than two grenades. Probably due to how decent they are once you add tendrils.

Any game I swear at while successfully moving forward is a good game. No swearing makes for a great game. I settle for good quite a lot...

post #5 of 13 Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never delved into the skill tree beyond what I could see, and so once I applied one point to the top left branch I saw that two extra grenades were eventually available. And now I have them. And if I ever get past the space battle, I'll use them often.

One game mechanic I've heard some complaints about is the boss you have to beat down three times before he's really beaten. Dragon's Dogma had it, but people liked DD so complaints were few. Well, the big dude I'm fighting has beaten us several times. By 'us', I mean my character is not the only one to die. AI characters who don't know to duck when laser beams of insta-death are about to be fired. That kind of stuff. And a bad day connecting to LIVE, which has cut off the boss fight twice now, since EA can't tolerate unmonitored gameplay. I swear that the disconnect waited both times for me to be in the third and, hopefully, last segment of the fight. Just cruel. What's even more cruel is that you start from the beginning each time.

Another, less noticeable if you are GOOD game mechanic, is that the XP you accumulate during a fight you have to restart is kept. So you get to add skills like extra grenades and whatnot and can possibly work your way past whatever keeps killing you. And once you activate your Fusion power and try (unsuccessfully) to kill the boss, you eventually earn enough XP to try it again. When I noticed it early in the game, I thought I might eventually use it to ramp up all the skills and sail through the game in God Mode. Hah. Then, I went into space...

post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I'm digging Fuse so far. Been playing with a couple of friends and Echelon is a blast!

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't played in a few days, focusing on some Defiance tasks. I think maybe Echelon would be good if it gets me extra XP to enable Fusion on all my characters. Around 5 levels for each will take a while, though...

post #8 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

I haven't played in a few days, focusing on some Defiance tasks. I think maybe Echelon would be good if it gets me extra XP to enable Fusion on all my characters. Around 5 levels for each will take a while, though...
Pffft... I went from level 12 to level 23 last night playing Echelon and unlocked Fusion for the guy with the crossbow. All my other characters are level 11 and I've never even played them (because you slowly rank up the other characters just by playing). I'm running a level 3 team perk that gives us +10% XP and my friend is running level 3 for extra fuse credits. You can rank up pretty fast if you're running with good people. You playing on Xbox Live?

post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Pffft... I went from level 12 to level 23 last night playing Echelon and unlocked Fusion for the guy with the crossbow. All my other characters are level 11 and I've never even played them (because you slowly rank up the other characters just by playing). I'm running a level 3 team perk that gives us +10% XP and my friend is running level 3 for extra fuse credits. You can rank up pretty fast if you're running with good people. You playing on Xbox Live?
Nope. I have an agenda to finish the game all on my own to start. That includes using only one character, Naya. Now, side Echelon missions to level up aren't part of the agenda so if I see a chance to join a group I'll take it...

post #10 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Nope. I have an agenda to finish the game all on my own to start. That includes using only one character, Naya. Now, side Echelon missions to level up aren't part of the agenda so if I see a chance to join a group I'll take it...
Why would you WANT to play this game solo when every single review says co-op is the way to play? tongue.gif

post #11 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Why would you WANT to play this game solo when every single review says co-op is the way to play? tongue.gif
Because that's the way I want to play it.

Solo means that I overcame the weaknesses that the reviews pointed out in the team AI. Solo means that *I* beat the game.

Then, I can go for the other Achievements that require more than one human...

post #12 of 13 Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dang it. So I went back to Fuse today due to the issues Defiance is/has been having, and I finally beat the boss. However, I didn't win without resorting to body switching, since being a Naya purist left me dying several times when nobody came to help. Switching may not have been the solution, but I didn't do so swell before I tried it. Biggest Help: Fusion became available late in the third stanza of the boss fight, and his health bar wasn't full.

Missed out on the Achievement for all missions done in Normal, though. I guess somewhere in my menuing I managed to change the difficulty. If they don't show a list that includes the missions and the difficulty, I'll have to try from the beginning. If I can keep the current level of the characters that'll be OK. If not, at least I know now that extra grenades are an early must.

Didn't notice until the end credits that Jennifer Hale did Naya. Just one more reason to use her...

post #13 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Already past the Russian boss fight on another Normal run. Managed to see three pieces of intel I missed the first time through. Haven't looked up locations yet to maintain a feeling of the need to go slowly.

Everybody can do Fusion now. That might make some battles a touch easier, although the characters I don't play take longer to gain XP so they'll take quite a while to recharge. As soon as the Normal Achievement pops, I plan on a restart on Hard, and if that goes OK then the even harder mode that gets an Achievement. The parts of the game that are just plain unfair, like lugging fuse around with it decaying, will decide if I ever get through the tougher levels alone. New friends may become a necessity but not right now...

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page