PLAY ANY VIDEO ON 360 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Was this Helpful?
Yes, of course. I couldnt get the xbox to play HD without a pain in the Arse. 1 100.00%
No, i already knew that. 0 0%
No, but i didnt know that it could be so easy with avidemux 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've been around reading a while but never shared anything, I have a couple things for everyone today. the first one is this:D

biggrin.gifHOW TO PLAY ANY VIDEO ON 360biggrin.gif

I've read A LOT about what to do when attempting this, and let me tell you 99% of it, is BULL****.
I bring a simple solution, although it took me months of trying to finally find what works.
Also, was the concern of streaming HD MKVs to the 360, which, as I read it, can be done via windows media center, and divx media server, as I have windows 8 home, I do not have media center.
And for all those that don't want to mess with that crap.
Here is a couple known facts that go overlooks quite often
The 360 can decode upto 1080p, it can handle AVIs, MP4, maybe some other formats, I have not tried.
But it cant do MKV. I was at a loss as to why. as ALMOST ALL MKV's codecs are AVC. which is the same as MP4,ever heard of H264, same thing. so the video is fine, we don't need to convert that.
So we look at the audio. Most MKV's have 6channel audio.
and upon playing multiple mp4 and mkv on the 360,none working, I noticed that they all were 6 channel, so maybe it was that.
so I open up AVIDEMUX, I throw in a MKV 1080p 20GB copy of The hobbit. you read that right, 20GB
I put the video conversion on copy stream, and the audio I convert to AAC, and here is the important part, remix the channels to stereo.
on output format I chose MP4 cuz AVC is also MP4 compatable. they key here, is to copy your video stream as to not lose quality and time.
now this took a minute cuz of the 20GB file, but with most episodes that come out in 720p mkv, it takes like 2 to 3 minutes to convert the audio.
so I throw that file into my shared videos folder. and then on the xbox; BAMN IM WATCHING IT IN FULL GLORY AND IT TOOK LESS THAN THE TIME I SPEND RESEARCHING IT lol
so there you are my friends, hope everyone enjoys this. look for my next post where I give a tutorial on how to interpolate the motion of your videos on the fly. Giving you a more "reality" look to shows. I know most people know about this here, but I have some stuff I haven't read on here. and maybe it will help someone cuz I know it took me forever to figure out how to set this up lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaco View Post

The 360 can decode upto 1080p, it can handle AVIs, MP4, maybe some other formats, I have not tried.
But it cant do MKV. I was at a loss as to why. as ALMOST ALL MKV's codecs are AVC. which is the same as MP4,ever heard of H264, same thing. so the video is fine, we don't need to convert that.
Microsoft thinks some codecs exist for piracy, so they refuse to support them. The ease with which the evil codecs can be brought into the light of MP4 shows that Microsoft's lack of cooperation is not getting them anywhere. Not that Microsoft will change...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #3 of 5 Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I bought an AppleTV & a Samsung TV. Problem solved. If the Sammy doesn't play it the ATV will.
Add Handbrake and everything works.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
neither the appletv nor the samsung tv play mkv files natively. if you're going to the trouble of converting them, then you can include any players out there. better to get a dedicated player that supports MKV that's the size of the a deck of cards like the WD TV devices or the countless number of chinese devices.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 AM

Liked: 93
"nor the samsung tv play mkv files natively"

My Samsung 64D550 from last year plays mkv just fine, thanks.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page