AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0B 1ob1aw View Post

What about the Yellow one?

I have heard some rumors...top secret hand held device most likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Cool scenario I thought about over the weekend. The Xbox One not only signs into your profile based so it gets your personal settings, but there are standard guest modes. Lets say there is a "gamer" guest mode that will boot up and show primarily games. Or you could have a mother-in-law (for lack of a better word) where it automatically shows only the television apps to help simplify the interface for the technology novices out there.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Cool scenario I thought about over the weekend. The Xbox One not only signs into your profile based so it gets your personal settings, but there are standard guest modes. Lets say there is a "gamer" guest mode that will boot up and show primarily games. Or you could have a mother-in-law (for lack of a better word) where it automatically shows only the television apps to help simplify the interface for the technology novices out there.
You'd have to be pretty optimistic to think that MS can pull that off.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

Well it's obvious they from the world of failed economies..................here's for just one of their arguments - which garnered more book sales used books or e-books (where it's just a license)? Same old horse droppings when the music industry was ranting about online sales, or individual songs instead of albums - how are they doing? Hmmm, just fine.

Um. Ebooks are dirt cheap and MP3's are 0.99 cents. Both also have very weak DRM that can be stripped with 10 seconds on google,so they;re not entierly similar.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that digital content licenses that are sold at realistic prices are bad or won't sell. The problem is game publishers and some dev's continue to repeat the lie that they're losing out on new games sales from the secondary market, which isn't true, and which infers that they won’t be pricing digital licenses at digital license prices.

Might I suggest, you from the world of failed economies? Because everything they said is pretty much econ 101 of how markets work.
Don't respect the guys opinion all that much. He interpreted facts thru some cynical prism, and then made naked assertions about it.
One example:
"We've listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it." That phrase - 'listened to the feedback' - is corporate code for 'counted the receipts'. In other words, Online Pass may simply have been retired because it didn't make money.

Really? A business stopped a practice because it wasn't making money? Shocking! Is this guy Sherlock Holmes? Hate to break it to this guy, but receipts ARE FEEDBACK. Pretty much the only form that really counts. It's the purest form of feedback(as far as businesses are concerned) for that matter. Exactly what the hell did he think they were gonna make the decision based on, good vibes?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Don't respect the guys opinion all that much. He interpreted facts thru some cynical prism, and then made naked assertions about it.
One example:
"We've listened to the feedback and decided to do away with it." That phrase - 'listened to the feedback' - is corporate code for 'counted the receipts'. In other words, Online Pass may simply have been retired because it didn't make money.

Really? A business stopped a practice because it wasn't making money? Shocking! Is this guy Sherlock Holmes? Hate to break it to this guy, but receipts ARE FEEDBACK. Pretty much the only form that really counts. It's the purest form of feedback(as far as businesses are concerned) for that matter. Exactly what the hell did he think they were gonna make the decision based on, good vibes?

He came to the same conclusion you did about the feedback What is your argument?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 587
any fellow AVS'ers in the area? still hoping to swing an E3 pass like last year (hoping my friend comes through again). if not, this seems like a good easy way to get up close and personal with the One. still having a smidge of hope to win the Microsoft presser invite. Last time they gave out the 360-S to everybody. Not expecting to get a free next-gen console, but free is free. smile.gif

http://majornelson.com/2013/06/03/xbox-meet-up-in-los-angeles/

If you are in the Southern California area, we’ve got a special Xbox Community meet up scheduled for Monday, June 10th at the Microsoft Store in Century City. Join me and members of the Xbox team as we show off Xbox One to the public for the first time. Plus we’ll also have hands-on time with the new Xbox One controller.

I may have one or two other surprises there as well wink.gif

Where: The Microsoft Store, Westfield Century City in Los Angeles (Directions)
When: Monday, June 10th from 7:30pm – 9:00pm
Why: Come meet members of the Xbox team and see the Xbox One with your own eyes, plus take the Xbox One controller for a spin and see (and feel) for yourself the improvements we’ve made to one of the best controllers in gaming.

The event is free and open to the public but we expect a crowd, so I recommend getting there there early.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

is this a joke post? can't tell if you are being sarcastic? Respect? is MS a religion now? didn't know we had to show respect to companies?? For the record i am buying all 3 consoles, but come on it is a stupid name, it is really not that serious... a shortened version of the name is far from "giving the finger".. My friends joke about my name all the time and i know them personally and i don't get offended, i have been called Benji, ben dover, etc.. i have yet to start a fight over it or even get upset, they are all still my friends...

I can't help but think that some of the people on here are MSFT PR trying to do damage control. But, really. It's a video game console. It's serious business...

Now, be respectful of the XBone and the 4play. Bow down, pray to it. Worship the XBone.
Bikerduck and sirjonsnow like this.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The original Xbox and the Xbox 360 have given me years of fun gaming and entertainment, and I expect the Xbox One to be just as fun. I give props to Microsoft for thinking outside the square and trying to do something different. I give respect to those that earn it, and in my eyes Microsoft have. This forum is for discussion about the Xbox One, let's be adults about it. There are plenty of other website forums where you can talk with other immature juveniles about the 'xbone'.
pcweber111 likes this.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Bungie was at the PS4 reveal, almost as big of a deal as when Valve was at Sony's E3 show.

They're also a keynote at Sonys E3 this year.

As for names the number 4 is terrible luck in Japanese. Sony was smart and kept it for their international brand, but has anyone heard if it's changed in the home market? I wouldn't be surprised, because as stupid as a brand name is, it's one thing Sony (and the Japanese in general) tends to really be a stickler at.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Because if you really don't care about the Xbox One then you should post somewhere else. I feel like everytime someone writes "xbone" they are giving the finger to Microsoft. Show some respect.

Holy crap, you just showed enough respect for all of us. You sir are XB1 helluva a customer for sure.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player
Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 832
All I know for sure, is MS is going to have a much, much, much better conference this E3.

(assuming they tone down the needless anti-consumer DRM policies)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post

I can't help but think that some of the people on here are MSFT PR trying to do damage control. But, really. It's a video game console. It's serious business...

Now, be respectful of the XBone and the 4play. Bow down, pray to it. Worship the XBone.

AVS does get plants, I outed a Panasonic plant during the rising black disaster, but I feel most are just fanboys, being a regular on gamefaqs has shown me just how over protective people can be over a name and a plastic box.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I guess that'll be one great thing about bundling a camera in every box....no more entering codes. Every card should hopefully come with some QR code that you can scan with kinect, or even a smartphone.

That is something I can actually be onboard with, involving the kinect.

Ok first check mark done. The rest are all x's still.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:

AVS does get plants, I outed a Panasonic plant during the rising black disaster, but I feel most are just fanboys, being a regular on gamefaqs has shown me just how over protective people can be over a name and a plastic box.

Any of the guys here that are pretty firmly on the X1s side have been around for long enough that I hardly think they're plants.

OTOH, if some new poster came in and was a little too eloquent in their defense....yeah, I'd be real suspicious.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 06-03-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:

Any of the guys here that are pretty firmly on the X1s side have been around for long enough that I hardly think they're plants.

OTOH, if some new poster came in and was a little too eloquent in their defense....yeah, I'd be real suspicious.
Sometime plants are sleepers, on the site just often enough to not be too untrustworthy. They are there just in case they need to help with damage control. AVS is a technical site, so it does attract these people.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227535/when-did-you-notice-the-bad-black-levels

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:

The original Xbox and the Xbox 360 have given me years of fun gaming and entertainment, and I expect the Xbox One to be just as fun. I give props to Microsoft for thinking outside the square and trying to do something different. I give respect to those that earn it, and in my eyes Microsoft have. This forum is for discussion about the Xbox One, let's be adults about it. There are plenty of other website forums where you can talk with other immature juveniles about the 'xbone'.

If Microsoft was a restaurant and you got 2 good sandwiches from them, the third one they gave you crap in a bun. But they earned your respect on the first two, so you will still pay for and eat it.

I bought the original xbox day one, had xbox live day 1, got a 360 a little later than day 1. Bought a second one, both still work. Other than the horrible new UI the 360 has, I have enjoyed my time with both systems. I have payed my hard earned, or hardly earned, money for their products. Why don't I have the leeway to make fun of a system that has, so far, missed on so many counts. Comparing the xbone to the OG xbox and 360, this thing is hardly in the same league.

The xbox brand and me are quickly diverging points of interest.
kjr39 and Bikerduck like this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sometime plants are sleepers, on the site just often enough to not be too untrustworthy. They are there just in case they need to help with damage control. AVS is a technical site, so it does attract these people.

I don't doubt that, but I'd think a plant would tend more on the side of emphasizing positives like "We didn't see games yet, I'm sure they're coming, but all this TV stuff is pretty cool!" rather than the dismissive "Just wait a few more days!" that we've been seeing.

If there are any plants reading this though, credit due for being subtle enough not to stand out....but the damage control you're attempting isn't really working. :P

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

If Microsoft was a restaurant and you got 2 good sandwiches from them, the third one they gave you crap in a bun. But they earned your respect on the first two, so you will still pay for and eat it.

I bought the original xbox day one, had xbox live day 1, got a 360 a little later than day 1. Bought a second one, both still work. Other than the horrible new UI the 360 has, I have enjoyed my time with both systems. I have payed my hard earned, or hardly earned, money for their products. Why don't I have the leeway to make fun of a system that has, so far, missed on so many counts. Comparing the xbone to the OG xbox and 360, this thing is hardly in the same league.

The xbox brand and me are quickly diverging points of interest.

If the X1 were the only console out there, I'd be pretty happy with the potential I can see from the specs, and from what I saw during the reveal, the UI looks pretty slick, and the games are obviously coming. Companies build loyalty by doing right by their customers, and MS did a pretty killer job with the 360, they've certainly earned a strong following. Likewise, I'd buy anything valve or blizzard puts out, sight unseen. I think that's the angle the MS and the MDF are coming from - as if the X1 is the only console out there that matters.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:

If the X1 were the only console out there, I'd be pretty happy with the potential I can see from the specs, and from what I saw during the reveal, the UI looks pretty slick, and the games are obviously coming. Companies build loyalty by doing right by their customers, and MS did a pretty killer job with the 360, they've certainly earned a strong following. Likewise, I'd buy anything valve or blizzard puts out, sight unseen. I think that's the angle the MS and the MDF are coming from - as if the X1 is the only console out there that matters.
I am so skeptical of valve that I wouldn't jump on anything of theirs. But on topic, I pride myself on not having brand loyalty. I will go with the best console.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you have said the same thing about the PS2 in 2005?

Also, why did the consoles just start using x86 now if it has been out since the '70s.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Also, why did the consoles just start using x86 now if it has been out since the '70s.

The original Xbox was x86--a nearly off-the-shelf Pentium 3, I think.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would you have said the same thing about the PS2 in 2005?

Sure. PS2 was an incredible console. Although, had I not been pretty hardcore into PCs back then, I'd still have liked what I saw in the PS3. However much of an overreach it may have been, and however difficult it may have been for developers, they were absolutely aiming for the sky with the PS3....I respect that, and I'm willing to pay for it. I'd love it if the PS4 packed twice the power that it does and retailed for $800, but thats just me. Still, I ended up primarily playing the 360 for the last few years, all my friends had already jumped on XBL, and the service was so excellent and easy to use (especially in a HT), that it completely won me over.
Quote:

Well, these arent the first consoles to use x86....the xbox 1, errr.....first xbox (sigh, thanks for making this confusing MS) used an x86 chip.

A few reasons they're going with x86 now, in no particular order. Thanks to AMD's acquisition of Ati a few years ago, APUs (combined CPU/GPU) are finally a thing, and that combination can really shine on a fixed platform like a console. AMD has made great strides in power efficiency, further making their APU desirable. Intel still beats AMD hands down on that front, but their GPUs cant match AMDs, and as far as I know, IBM has nothing to offer on that front. If IBM could offer as perfect a solution as AMD is offering, Sony very well might have stuck with PPC. MS has a secondary motive in bringing their platforms together, and Windows always has been x86. Not to mention, devs are very comfortable with x86.....if there ever was any consideration to stick with IBM like nintendo did, that alone might have tipped the scales.

Basically, between the low power CPU cores and the industry leading GPU on a single chip, alongside a robust supporting chipset....AMD has a complete solution at a price no one else could match, both MS and Sony could see that plain as day. It just happens to be x86.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The original Xbox was x86--a nearly off-the-shelf Pentium 3, I think.

Yup. Pretty much every part in that box was nearly off the shelf.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I definitely favour the Xbox over the PS this generation, but I still have both. I'm sure I'll end up with both the Xbox One and the PS4. Both consoles have huge potential, but I'll probably get the Xbox One first due to the better multiplayer aspect this generation. But who knows, the PS4 graphics may blow the Xbox One out of the water due to the faster RAM. I am a bit of a graphics whore, so if that is the case, then I'll buy all multiplatform single player games for the PS4.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:

Yup. Pretty much every part in that box was nearly off the shelf.

Yeah. They had a lot of trouble shaking console gamer perception that it was just a PC masquerading as a console biggrin.gif. They intentionally refused to put a web browser in it for just that reason.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure. PS2 was an incredible console. Although, had I not been pretty hardcore into PCs back then, I'd still have liked what I saw in the PS3. However much of an overreach it may have been, and however difficult it may have been for developers, they were absolutely aiming for the sky with the PS3....I respect that, and I'm willing to pay for it. I'd love it if the PS4 packed twice the power that it does and retailed for $800, but thats just me. Still, I ended up primarily playing the 360 for the last few years, all my friends had already jumped on XBL, and the service was so excellent and easy to use (especially in a HT), that it completely won me over.
Well, these arent the first consoles to use x86....the xbox 1, errr.....first xbox (sigh, thanks for making this confusing MS) used an x86 chip.

A few reasons they're going with x86 now, in no particular order. Thanks to AMD's acquisition of Ati a few years ago, APUs (combined CPU/GPU) are finally a thing, and that combination can really shine on a fixed platform like a console. AMD has made great strides in power efficiency, further making their APU desirable. Intel still beats AMD hands down on that front, but their GPUs cant match AMDs, and as far as I know, IBM has nothing to offer on that front. If IBM could offer as perfect a solution as AMD is offering, Sony very well might have stuck with PPC. MS has a secondary motive in bringing their platforms together, and Windows always has been x86. Not to mention, devs are very comfortable with x86.....if there ever was any consideration to stick with IBM like nintendo did, that alone might have tipped the scales.

Basically, between the low power CPU cores and the industry leading GPU on a single chip, alongside a robust supporting chipset....AMD has a complete solution at a price no one else could match, both MS and Sony could see that plain as day. It just happens to be x86.

So AMD is the only one using x86?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I am so skeptical of valve that I wouldn't jump on anything of theirs. But on topic, I pride myself on not having brand loyalty. I will go with the best console.
This is probably brand loyalty, but since my gamerscore is carrying over then I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up the Xbox one. Between my son and I that is the one we will want the most and it mostly him driving it and not me so much which is fine. I'll try and get a new gaming Desktop since that is really where I am playing games at most of the time now, but I still like consoles for their exclusives. With that in mind I'll probably wait at least year and try and sneak a PS4 in the house (maybe). There are usually a few series of games that convince me to get a system to play, heck I might even convice my wife it was my daughter wanting it and not me..... As for steam I love their game sales smile.gif

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I definitely favour the Xbox over the PS this generation, but I still have both. I'm sure I'll end up with both the Xbox One and the PS4. Both consoles have huge potential, but I'll probably get the Xbox One first due to the better multiplayer aspect this generation. But who knows, the PS4 graphics may blow the Xbox One out of the water due to the faster RAM. I am a bit of a graphics whore, so if that is the case, then I'll buy all multiplatform single player games for the PS4.
Hey please don't shorten "Playstation 4" to "PS4". I take offense to that, have some respect for Sony would ya, they've earned it! rolleyes.gif
benjamin-benjami likes this.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So AMD is the only one using x86?

Nah, Intel is the creator of x86, AMD licenses it from Intel, both have been building chips based on it for decades. Although IIRC, AMD developed the 64-bit extension to x86, usually known as x64, which intel adopted as well.

If intel had a competitive GPU, I'm sure they'd have been a frontrunner for the next gen consoles. They're still lagging behind AMD, but catching up quickly. I wouldnt be surprised to see an entirely intel based console next next generation.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I think it deserves to be called the "xbone" until Microsoft has proven that they aren't trying to bone all of us gamers with a total assault on our god given right to sell, trade, swap, etc, etc...

(yeah, I know it's not a God given right. That's just a joke. Yes, I know technically we are only buying a license, and we don't own the game, yada yada yada)

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition