post #451 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

confused.gif What about using XBOne with a DVR? I began watching time shifted TV content almost thirty years ago. It's 2013 now. I don't watch live TV. Why would I even want to?

X1 could be awesome if it WAS the dvr

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Are you talking about just voice gestures that access the existing box with the capability or the ONE having its own DVR capability?

I think having a cablecard tuner and handling everything natively would be the best solution. But in lieu of that, if it can't at least control the DVR in your cable box, the whole concept is pointless. If its going to be the one box, it needs to do *everything*. If anyone ever needs to touch their cable remote ever again, it's a complete failure in integrating TV IMO. Without some sort of DVR solution, it's a half assed solution.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #453 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I thought I read somewhere that for some cable boxes there was going to be some sort of app that you could use to control it via the Xbox One, or that was the plan in the future...
post #454 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
It most likely will have access to DVR capability commands. They spread this information out over time the system isn't coming out for months. This video was done back in may during the conference. The woman did say it is a build she did say they have more to show off. Don't see how that is any different than for example Sony talking about features will will later hear that we have no clue is being offered. E3 is next week.

The 5.0 is here
post #455 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

It most likely will have access to DVR capability commands. They spread this information out over time the system isn't coming out for months. This video was done back in may during the conference. The woman did say it is a build she did say they have more to show off. Don't see how that is any different than for example Sony talking about features will will later hear that we have no clue is being offered. E3 is next week.

They're not talking about the feature at all, that's the problem. It's one thing if they're saying wait till e3 for games, or that they'll talk about their plans for used games in the future, or even that they plan to integrate DVR, but it's not functional yet....they haven't even acknowledged any DVR features at all.

Basically all they've talked about is TV, and they left out the most important part....the way people actually watch TV in 2013. Its not a minor feature, its completely fundamental. If it can control DVR, where's the harm in mentioning that? Is that to supposed to be some big stage reveal?

My best guess is that actually getting DVR to work over CEC and play nice with cable boxes is a complete PITA, and that it won't work for anyone with the IR blaster. Getting it to work with cablecard is probably a nightmare as they'd need to validate it with every cableco. I bet the feature is in total limbo for launch, which is why they haven't mentioned it.

If they release this system without DVR it will be a joke that undercuts their whole "one box" message. It'd be like the PS3 launching with a bluray drive and no movie support.

post #456 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 516
They should develop an HDMI/CEC controllable box with a CableCARD tuner as an accessory; basically a tuner and HDD, with no UI other than the One.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #457 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I did a little googling and came up with this:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

Straight from the horses mouth:
Quote:
"Xbox One does not provide any built-in DVR capabilities, but on your Xbox One console you will be able to access and use your cable or satellite set-top box DVR service via HDMI pass-through," they explained.

So looks you'll still need your cable remote, and you'll still need to use the cable box interface to get any DVR functionality. Why even bother with the Xbox TV interface at all then?
ThumperII likes this.

post #458 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

So looks you'll still need your cable remote, and you'll still need to use the cable box interface to get any DVR functionality. Why even bother with the Xbox TV interface at all then?

It has an IR blaster to stick on the sensor of your cable or satellite box. One assumes that it will know remote codes for a large variety of devices. One wonders if it can control boxes with HDMI/CEC which are capable of responding to commands that way; IR blasters aren't always the most reliable things. (Though I used several devices back in the day for which they worked well enough; Microsoft TV, VideoGuide, etc).

post #459 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

I did a little googling and came up with this:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/79306/xbox-one-does-not-provide-any-built-in-dvr-capabilities

Straight from the horses mouth:

That you can leave your Xbox One on and still watch cable/satellite excites some people for some reason. Look back in the older thread that for some strange reason got locked. Nobody could really pinpoint just why they wanted it, especially in the form as it stands now where it's not replacing a thing, but some people still want it.

Some people just like their gadgets to intermingle and be integrated. I guess it doesn't actually have to offer any substantial benefit to accomplish that to interest them. Just the fact that it's being routed through their Xbox One is enough for them.
post #460 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

...in the form as it stands now where it's not replacing a thing, but some people still want it.

It replaces other forums of controlling your TV tuner. You can do cute things like say, "Xbox, let's watch the Chargers game" (or some such) and it'll do the rest. You can watch TV while making Skype calls. This would have appeal to some people.

post #461 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You can watch TV while making Skype calls.

We can already do this though, how many people have a smartphone or a tablet. Apple has already demonstrated that for most people multitasking is not needed if even undesirable for many people
post #462 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 231
If I may take a sideways view...The following articles from CNet are of interest for several reasons:
  1. Halo 3.5 on Win8 is a very big deal. Especailly at $6.99! Perhaps a test run for MS to tag in their convergent products critical Path that includes XB1. Could also indicate that the rumors about the Halo 2/3 redo by Saber Interactive could be done for XB1...360...and Win8PC. It'll be interesting to see if they bring this up at E3
  2. The analyst's price points seem like home runs if they are true for both consoles. But especially XB1 since it will include Kinect 2.0 as part of the package
  3. The Intel article is intriguing because it is forecasting the real direction of Next Generation...which is Augmented Reality(AR) and Virtual Reality (VR). Both are expected to arrive on steroids in 2014-15 with Oculus Rift (OR). OR is being developed initially for PC gaming. But I bet MS has more than a glancing look at it with their convergenc/.multimedia strategy (Win8 and XB1/XPhone (WinP8)/etc.

If MS can just extract itself from all of the negative conversation it put itself into next week...It has a very compelling story to talk about. I think they are headed in the perfect direction...while driving toward it the wrong way (backwards/reverse). They should be communicating nothing except liberating and freeing gamers up in multiple platforms instead of restricting them and their choices. IMHO I think they will get it eventually. And make XB1 much more open from a consumer perspective. Because if they don't...it will be a colossal bust in the marketplace.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57587568-75/halo-to-hit-windows-8-and-windows-phone-8-in-july/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57587456-75/analyst-xbox-one-to-cost-$399-playstation-4-priced-at-$349/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57587699-76/intel-creates-$100-million-fund-for-perceptual-computing/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title
post #463 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

That you can leave your Xbox One on and still watch cable/satellite excites some people for some reason. Look back in the older thread that for some strange reason got locked. Nobody could really pinpoint just why they wanted it, especially in the form as it stands now where it's not replacing a thing, but some people still want it.

Some people just like their gadgets to intermingle and be integrated. I guess it doesn't actually have to offer any substantial benefit to accomplish that to interest them. Just the fact that it's being routed through their Xbox One is enough for them.

Well, windows media center is about 10000x better an interface than the best cable box, which are universally atrocious. This had the potential to be the next version of it, now that WMC is on ice. Simply never having to use your cable box interface has huge appeal, and even though I'm not really into TV or Sports, it looked like a complete and pretty slick solution to bring everything together. Without DVR it's a total joke....that's why they tap danced around it during the reveal, and put special emphasis on "Live TV".
ThumperII and Bikerduck like this.

post #464 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

We can already do this though, how many people have a smartphone or a tablet. Apple has already demonstrated that for most people multitasking is not needed if even undesirable for many people

If I am multitasking I'd much rather do it with an ipad or a smartphone than what they've shown. I thought that's why they created smartglass.
post #465 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

A video feed with the script on it in front of him would help with the timing.

Yes, they all use teleprompters. I saw one video that had very different gestures and Kinect timing leading to speculation that the Kinect part was pre recorded.
post #466 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Here is a different point of view.

Who wants a cable box extension that pulls 100w or more? My 70" TV doesn't pull that much.
ThumperII and Bikerduck like this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #467 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

If I am multitasking I'd much rather do it with an ipad or a smartphone than what they've shown. I thought that's why they created smartglass.

They created Smartglass to multitask while you ae multitasking on the Xbone. This generation will require a negative attention span.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #468 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

He is a different point of view.

Who wants a cable box extension that pulls 100w or more? My 70" TV doesn't pull that much.

I doubt it'll pull anywhere near that in non-game mode. Probably 20W max, and less than 5W in sleep mode.

post #469 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How about a box that has one power cord and one connection for your DSL or cable modem. That one box will be your modem, router, wireless, tuner. Or even have speaker connections for your 7.1. I'm sure the box would be large. But I'll take it over the mess behind my tv now.
post #470 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly 
Halo 3.5 on Win8 is a very big deal. Especailly at $6.99! Perhaps a test run for MS to tag in their convergent products critical Path that includes XB1. Could also indicate that the rumors about the Halo 2/3 redo by Saber Interactive could be done for XB1...360...and Win8PC. It'll be interesting to see if they bring this up at E3
ecause if they don't...it will be a colossal bust in the marketplace.

I don't think Halo Spartan Assault has anything to do with what Xbone pricing will be at all. It's being released on those platforms only in a effort to improve sales of those floundering disasters.

One thing that annoys me so much about the Xbone, is that they're trying to make it so similar to Windows 8 and taking a similar marketing approach.
post #471 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I like the look of my DirecTV DVR guide much better then that Xbox One guide. I hate how there is no pip window showing what is currently on in the XBone guide.

I also agree that if you have to touch your DVR remote for anything it is a XBone fail. I'm a Harmony remote user and I'm curious about how it will function with the XBone. Since you won't have to switch activities between TV and gaming, how do you program, let's say, the play button. Do you program it for the XBone's play command or your DVRs? Can you even use a Harmony remote with the XBone?

Of course, if I get an XBone, I've already decided that I will not hook up my DVR it.

The pushing if Skype is funny to me, like it is some new idea to Skype will watching TV. I'm currently watching the Braves game, my iPhone is sitting next to me, my laptop is on the other side and I'm typing this on my iPad. If I wanted to Skype I think I have it covered and I don't even have an XBone.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #472 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I like the look of my DirecTV DVR guide much better then that Xbox One guide. I hate how there is no pip window showing what is currently on in the XBone guide.

I also agree that if you have to touch your DVR remote for anything it is a XBone fail. I'm a Harmony remote user and I'm curious about how it will function with the XBone. Since you won't have to switch activities between TV and gaming, how do you program, let's say, the play button. Do you program it for the XBone's play command or your DVRs? Can you even use a Harmony remote with the XBone?

Of course, if I get an XBone, I've already decided that I will not hook up my DVR it.

The pushing if Skype is funny to me, like it is some new idea to Skype will watching TV. I'm currently watching the Braves game, my iPhone is sitting next to me, my laptop is on the other side and I'm typing this on my iPad. If I wanted to Skype I think I have it covered and I don't even have an XBone.

Kind of a moot question...if it doesnt support DVR, it doesnt have a play command anyway.

I know it has an IR out, but I don't remember seeing anything about an IR sensor for remotes.

post #473 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 691
post #474 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kind of a moot question...if it doesnt support DVR, it doesnt have a play command anyway.

I know it has an IR out, but I don't remember seeing anything about an IR sensor for remotes.

Your voice is your remote! Everyone is forgetting that anything but a voice interface is now passe and so last century. Get with it folks!!!
post #475 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

wow, they really are taking the TV thing serious..
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/04/microsoft-ceo-takes-xbox-one-to-hollywood

also article about this thread smile.gif
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-average-gamers-become-obsessive-fanboys/

MS will have to heavily subsidize the content. What motivation is there for studios to limit their audience to the subset of people that own Xbones? MS is not selling anything new, they are just trying to supplant laptops and tablets in the living room. This makes since since their real competition is Google and Apple.
post #476 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
An awful lot of us owned all three last generation consoles around here, myself included. So I think there's a lot more fairness at play on these forums than at many other places associated with the hobby. Beyond the occasional person that screams for the moderators while yelling out system war in some threads around here when people mention something about the equivalent on the competition in the logical course of discussion, it's pretty even mannered around here with most sticking to facts or at least widely held opinions that have a reasonable basis for existing.

That it's not all peaches and cream for the Xbox One with criticism and concern dominating discussion even around here among our tech savvy users, an older audience, and with more neutrality, I think that should be raising alarm bells back at Microsoft. Disregarding the PS3 being the superior media machine for several years until Microsoft's focus on streaming kind of evened things up a bit, the discussion around here has seemed to be pretty much 50/50 with the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

We have an awful lot of Xbox fans around here. It's not fanboys being awakened that are filling threads here with what some of you view as unnecessary negativity. It's people like myself that have stuck with the Xbox and Xbox 360 as their primary consoles the last two generations (Despite being a classic gaming fan and also owning a Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, PS3, and Wii).
post #477 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It has an IR blaster to stick on the sensor of your cable or satellite box. One assumes that it will know remote codes for a large variety of devices. One wonders if it can control boxes with HDMI/CEC which are capable of responding to commands that way; IR blasters aren't always the most reliable things. (Though I used several devices back in the day for which they worked well enough; Microsoft TV, VideoGuide, etc).

Hopefully it won't go that route of actually having to stick an IR sensor on the STB. Hopefully it will work like the new Slingboxes and just flood the room with IR so there is no need on sticking a sensor on the actual device like it's still the 20th century.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #478 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493

man, that controller looks so good in macro zoom... i'm wondering how long that ridges/edge will last. the sticks on my main controller which i've beaten up daily over 3+ years has lost the dotted bumps and have rounded.
post #479 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

Your voice is your remote! Everyone is forgetting that anything but a voice interface is now passe and so last century. Get with it folks!!!

"Xbox, play the knicks game from last night."

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.....

Too bad there's no voice command to bring your remote to you. I guess that's what kids are for.....at least that's what I was for when I was a kid. :P

post #480 of 16905 Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:

"Xbox, play the knicks game from last night."

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.....

Too bad there's no voice command to bring your remote to you. I guess that's what kids are for.....at least that's what I was for when I was a kid. :P

biggrin.gif
We were there to move the antenna outside. When my dad wanted to watch the stations from Baltimore, instead of DC, we went out side to turn move the pole that the antenna was on so it was pointed toward Baltimore. I don't remember us having remotes for our TVs back in the early 70's though.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page