Forum Jump: 
 183Likes

post #7021 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 687
any idea on when they will announce release date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

I'm guessing PAX. It's barely over a week away.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #7023 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Seriously, Its getting a little annoying. They must be starting every interview at Gamescom with "No release date Questions"
benjamin-benjami likes this.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #7024 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I never used a racing wheel with a clutch before. I always wondered in these games...if you don't launch right, do you stall or fry your clutch? What if you shift into 2nd by mistake while doing 120? Do you even need to rev match when downshifting?

you can't mess up shifting with video game wheels from the few that I've played. you can't feel the friction point. you can't feel the grab as you're raising the pedal. you'll never have the n00b lurching as they're learning a stick. it's a video game. you push in the clutch and shift. I've never stalled in any console racer.

On my old Nissan, when I'm doing a quick 2-3 shift during hard acceleration, I'd occasionally let go of the clutch prematurely before I was fully shifted into 3rd and I'd get the clack-clack-clack. That has never happened in a video game.
post #7025 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

Seriously, Its getting a little annoying. They must be starting every interview at Gamescom with "No release date Questions"

My guess is they are daily weighing the number of consoles they're going to have vs how late they can possibly launch in Nov. They're keeping an eye on those production number and logistics and trying to find the best date.

Which can be annoying for us now.
post #7026 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

you can't mess up shifting with video game wheels from the few that I've played. you can't feel the friction point. you can't feel the grab as you're raising the pedal. you'll never have the n00b lurching as they're learning a stick. it's a video game. you push in the clutch and shift. I've never stalled in any console racer.

On my old Nissan, when I'm doing a quick 2-3 shift during hard acceleration, I'd occasionally let go of the clutch prematurely before I was fully shifted into 3rd and I'd get the clack-clack-clack. That has never happened in a video game.

Ahh, there's no fun in that then.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #7027 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Ahh, there's no fun in that then.

It would not only realistic but strategic if they did have real manual transmission behavior. Just a few months ago, a guy lost in a NASCAR race because of a missed shift. Real shifting would be unfair for the majority of kids though who have never driven a car and don't know how it really feels.

http://racing.quickenloans.com/2013/03/11/race-recap-newman-misses-shift-loses-engine-at-las-vegas/

On the subsequent restart, the field stacked up, and Newman missed a shift as he attempted to get up to speed. Unfortunately, the damage from the missed shift resulted in engine failure, and Newman was eliminated from competition.

“I missed a shift,” Newman said. “I missed the shift because of the restart, but that’s my responsibility, not those guys in front of me. It was a disappointing day for the Quicken Loans team. It’s entirely on me. I could point fingers at the final restart, but it was still my fault.”
post #7028 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:

A few things there:

That only really addresses how hUMA relates to "megatexturing", which doesn't sound to me as big of a deal as what hUMA would do for GPGPU.

Beyond that it just sounds like a distinction without a difference. On PS4, the GPU can't address anything but physical memory, so the gane itself has to manage getting the right textures from disk to memory. Just like it is now with texture streaming on current gen, it's automated. On X1, GPU can address virtual memory, so the game has no idea whether or not it's in physical memory. When it requests it, the OS automatically manages getting the texture from disk to memory. Whether or not it's the OS or the game itself managing it, it's basically the same process.

I'm stoked to see them using the esram as an L3 cache and virtual memory in the OS though....looking more and more like we're gonna see more powerful console revisions as time marches on.

Hummus?

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #7029 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

the full showcase event at Gamescom...
post #7030 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Boy it would be nice if it integrated with Zantech's IR gear. That would give me the most compelling reason to buy it. No more complaints from the spousal unit about the remote control situation. She could tell it what she wants it to do. She excels at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

So, the Kinect has a ton of IR transmitters in it. The main way that it will control things is that the Kinect will send out the IR signal in all directions, and then it'll bounce off walls to end up back at your components.

However, if that doesn't work for you, the other option is going to be a wire that has an IR transmitter on the end of it. You plug that into the back of the One, and then you could then tape directly in front of the IR receiver for whatever device you want to control.

I haven't heard anything about HDMI-CEC, though that doesn't mean it's included.

That means that you say things like "Xbox On" and the Xbox system knows to power on other components. Or another example given was "Xbox Volume Up" can tell your receiver or TV to turn up the volume.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #7031 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

even though i will buy all 3 consoles, the issue is which console will be my "main" console (the one i buy multiplatform games on, pay for online, etc..) i was dead set on PS4, but now i am pretty sure it will be Xb1, the dedicated servers for COD (and hopefully other games), titanfall, how much i love the controller, how many of my friends are going to stay with xbox, etc.. is going to make me switch to xb1, and i feel kind of dirty right now!
Jeremy Anderson likes this.
post #7032 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

it's so far looking like the Wired FAQ is more correct than many people thought:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/22/xbox-one-faq

Will Xbox One use dedicated servers for multiplayer games?

Yes. Microsoft has 300,000 servers in place for the Xbox One's launch and games are no longer hosted on a player's own Xbox console. If you've ever felt the frustration of a multiplayer match ending because the host switched their console off, prepare to be thankful it'll not happen anymore.
post #7033 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I know there is at least one member who posts videos up. Here is an opportunity to win an Xbox One.
Quote:
We are excited to announce the Upload Outreach Program, an effort to attract creative minds from around the world to become a major part of the Upload experience. Selected users will receive a brand new Xbox One, a
1- year Xbox Live Gold membership and a selection of launch titles *, and will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with the Upload team to see their content show up within the Upload experience.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:

Create a 1 minute video about any Xbox 360 or Xbox One game you love
Upload it to the web so we can see it (use Youtube, Vimeo, or any public website we can access)
Send us the link to uploadvideo@microsoft.com by September 15, 2013 18:59 ET

IF YOU’RE SELECTED:

We’ll notify you by email and you will receive:

An Xbox One
A 1-year Xbox Live Gold subscription
A selection of Xbox One Launch games*
The opportunity to collaborate with the Upload team

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/22/upload-outreach-program/
onlysublime likes this.
post #7034 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

even though i will buy all 3 consoles, the issue is which console will be my "main" console (the one i buy multiplatform games on, pay for online, etc..) i was dead set on PS4, but now i am pretty sure it will be Xb1, the dedicated servers for COD (and hopefully other games), titanfall, how much i love the controller, how many of my friends are going to stay with xbox, etc.. is going to make me switch to xb1, and i feel kind of dirty right now!

After all the 180s I'm almost on the fence again, but there's still a few things I need to see before it becomes my "main". More likely that I just don't have a primary system at all. They've turned it so far back around that I can actually see them taking the lead again.

post #7035 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
My bad Spid already posted.

The 5.0 is here
post #7036 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I'm getting the xb1 at launch. I had planned on getting hte PS4 also, but now that we are trying to sell our house and buy anhother, I've got to be a little more careful on my spending. I'll definitely have a both by middle of next year though. As far as my main console, I'll just let that sort itself out like I did every other generation. If you're getting both, no need to make that decision now.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #7037 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I'm getting the xb1 at launch. I had planned on getting hte PS4 also, but now that we are trying to sell our house and buy anhother, I've got to be a little more careful on my spending. I'll definitely have a both by middle of next year though. As far as my main console, I'll just let that sort itself out like I did every other generation. If you're getting both, no need to make that decision now.
I am probably going this way too. I will end up with the PS4, but with only having time on the weekend to game, I am thinking I will wait on the ps4 for now. That and the fact that I am not super impressed with anything other than Infamous, and that won't be out for awhile.

post #7038 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

but the issue is since you have to pay to play online, you have to make a decision..
post #7039 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
I'm not really impressed with either of them and am becoming more and more likely to just skip them both at launch.

Xbox is out until someone comes out with a cl2 or 3 rated 30 ft extension cable for kinect and PS4 just doesn't have anything that's a must have at launch. I'll let things play themselves out and then jump in. Owning both consoles was a waste this gen outside of blu ray and a couple of titles.

On top of that, launch software is made to hit a moving target and is never that great. My must have games of the fall will all be on pc and will probably run better that way.
post #7040 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 116
Quote:

but the issue is since you have to pay to play online, you have to make a decision..

I don't see how this is an issue, unless you only were planning to pay for one of the services (XBL or PS+).... You can't play online for either console for free....

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #7041 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Owning both consoles was a waste this gen outside of blu ray and a couple of titles.
Yeah, I tend to agree here. I got no value out of LIVE except for access to Fez. #flameshield
post #7042 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Yeah, I tend to agree here. I got no value out of LIVE except for access to Fez. #flameshield
If they give us dedicated servers, then I see a huge value in Live. Hopefully they will continue the games with gold on the new console and that will just add to it.

post #7043 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

If they give us dedicated servers, then I see a huge value in Live. Hopefully they will continue the games with gold on the new console and that will just add to it.
Yeah PS+ is really cool I just don't do multiplayer although Destiny is looking awesome. Hopefully no one takes that as a derogatory towards the platform. I own both and threw money both places but probably won't this gen. I'm locked into PC for now followed by PS4 mid next 2014 then Xbox by first price drop. My kid comes up enough to warrant a console in that time also but in the interest of a proper education I may ebay a SNES for her or stealth some emulation her way.
post #7044 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

I don't see how this is an issue, unless you only were planning to pay for one of the services (XBL or PS+).... You can't play online for either console for free....

i know that is my point... pretty much all i do is play online... so i do have to choose which service to use..
post #7045 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

Xbox is out until someone comes out with a cl2 or 3 rated 30 ft extension cable for kinect

i don't care if it's cl2/3 rated, but has it been revealed whether there will be extension cables available for kinect, so it can be placed in front of the theater?

i try to keep tabs on thread but haven't seen that confirmed yet.

- Chris
post #7046 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

i don't care if it's cl2/3 rated, but has it been revealed whether there will be extension cables available for kinect, so it can be placed in front of the theater?

i try to keep tabs on thread but haven't seen that confirmed yet.

Someone earlier talked to an xbox guy about it and there was nothing yet.
post #7047 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i know that is my point... pretty much all i do is play online... so i do have to choose which service to use..

It burns me to pay for XBL since I dont feel like I'm getting my money's worth anymore, but I'm prob gonna keep sending them more of my money anyway.

post #7048 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It burns me to pay for XBL since I dont feel like I'm getting my money's worth anymore, but I'm prob gonna keep sending them more of my money anyway.
For this generation, I have no problem with it. When I play stuff, I am almost always in a party with 5-7 of my friends just chatting about whatever. That alone makes the $3 a month worth it. Now if they can give me dedicated servers and possibly newer games if they continue the free games initiative, then I will be just fine with it.

post #7049 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Anyone know if the downloaded games on the 360 that you've bought can be re-downloaded on the Xbox One if it's the same Live account?
post #7050 of 16900 Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Anyone know if the downloaded games on the 360 that you've bought can be re-downloaded on the Xbox One if it's the same Live account?

Since you cannot run them on the Xbox One I feel certain that you can't download them onto it. Why would you want to?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page