post #7202 of 16811 Old 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Is that going on in Vegas this weekend?
I think it was just today. At least the offerings for the general public was just today though GameStop may have general meetings and such throughout the week.
post #7203 of 16811 Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Wow, if true, this would be awesome, I would never purchase a disc based game again:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/microsoft-may-be-considering-a-digital-game-resale-marketplace

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #7204 of 16811 Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Wow, if true, this would be awesome, I would never purchase a disc based game again:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/microsoft-may-be-considering-a-digital-game-resale-marketplace

Now thats innovation! And without the crappy consumer stance nuking physical disc ownership was.

If you want to do a hard sell on the benefits of digital, that's how you do it as a leader.
post #7205 of 16811 Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Now thats innovation! And without the crappy consumer stance nuking physical disc ownership was.

If you want to do a hard sell on the benefits of digital, that's how you do it as a leader.
Yeah... I still miss being able to buy a disc and convert to digital licensing so I don't have to download. If they had explained it better from the get-go, maybe we'd still have that.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #7206 of 16811 Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Yeah... I still miss being able to buy a disc and convert to digital licensing so I don't have to download. If they had explained it better from the get-go, maybe we'd still have that.

There's ways to get the best of both worlds if they want to. Margins won't be as large for them as they possibly could, but with a feature like that while retaining physical ownership they'd be sitting pretty and could make up in volume of sales.

As we all said digital isn't the problem. Just the way they went about it which seemed entirely beneficial to them and a very small minority that didn't care about the limitations.
post #7207 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
This is terrible for their retail partners unless there are ways to protect them. Why would you ever buy new when you can buy used digitally unless you just want a disc or can wait until the game is eligible for resale? If this is true then that's pretty incredible and justifies my decision to go all digital this coming gen. We definitely need to hear more about this and this would in my opinion go a long way towards making the One a first choice for many. Requiring Gold will irk some people but I guess it builds value in it for MS.
post #7208 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

This is terrible for their retail partners unless there are ways to protect them. Why would you ever buy new when you can buy used digitally unless you just want a disc or can wait until the game is eligible for resale? If this is true then that's pretty incredible and justifies my decision to go all digital this coming gen. We definitely need to hear more about this and this would in my opinion go a long way towards making the One a first choice for many. Requiring Gold will irk some people but I guess it builds value in it for MS.

you are right, it would kill retail.. trading in the main reason i won't buy digital..
post #7209 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
You can already trade in some digital games on greenmangaming. You get instant store credit, but it's not as much as you'd want most of the time.

A resale marketplace where people get to trade games with each other while just paying a small fee is a little far fetched for now. I dunno if I'd even want it, it would just accelerate the trend towards games as a service and free to play. It's a nice thought though, that we could resell digital games and not lose anything in the process. It's another one of those "be careful what you wish for" kind of things.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #7210 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I understand the concern with the digital games.

I will probably buy all my games digitally as that is currently what I do anyways on my PC.

What they should do though, when they are taking a game off their servers, is send out an update that allows the players to host servers on their own systems kinda like how Call of Duty worked on consoles in the last gen. This would make the game no longer a service and keep everyone happy.

As far as cutting out the retailers, I understand that concern as well, especially if you work in that sector. However, with the industry supposedly suffering losses like it has in the last couple years the best way to survive is to cut out the middle man. This allows the publishers to cut costs of their games but still bring in more money.

Time will tell but with the way technology is going the marketplace is changing drastically.

Heck, just look at the music industry.

You went from radio to everyone just buying music they like and listening to their ipods all the time now we have huge music services like slacker/pandora/spotify. I never buy digital music anymore.

On the flip side you are seeing a growing trend of people buying more analog music and the sales of vinyl are up....just crazy...technology went so far that now we are embracing an old format....

So who knows where the game industry is going....
emartins and TeflonSoul like this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #7211 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Out of the 13 launch countries only 5 will have voice commands at launch.

From MS's Get the Facts page.

"Xbox voice commands will not be available in all markets on the product release date. Voice commands will be available at launch in US, UK, CA, FR, and DE."
post #7212 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Doesn’t that kinda fly in the face of the (PR) excuse that kinect regionalization is the reason for the reduced release schedule? They’ll still be releasing systems that are not yet kinect regionalized in some countries.

NBD, but marketing needs to cut the crap. At the least get the messaging consistent across the board so both hands got their stories straight.
freemeat likes this.
post #7213 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah that always seemed like a somewhat flimsy excuse. If you won't have the supply to launch in 21 countries just say so. Anything though for companies to not appear weak.
freemeat likes this.
post #7214 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess the next obvious questions would be for the people in the majority of the countries that buy the console as to when they will actually be able to use Kinect's functionality? I wonder how MS will package it, will it have a disclaimer indicating that a major feature on the peripheral doesn't work?

All the more reason to offer a less expensive sku without the peripheral packed in. I can't imagine people would be thrilled to pay for it with severely crippled functionality.
post #7215 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
To add it will be a simple firmware update and it could be just a few weeks after purchase. Hardly a deciding factor.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #7216 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm thinking with voice command being such an important part of the experience (according to MS) they needed to have their ducks in a row before launching what is in essence a crippled experience in those countries that it doesn't work in yet. The obvious answer is they want Kinect in the box no matter what and being in the US I don't really have room to complain as it all works right but if I was a potential customer and they offered me this incomplete experience with only "it's coming to your country sometime soon" as an assurance I'd be pretty pissed and would probably be more inclined to not purchase their product. MS needs to fix that and fast.
post #7217 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

And if it was these voice commands are the reason (not sure if that is the case or not) for not releasing in all initially planned countries. Why cut down the number of countries severely and then still release a crippled Kinect in some countries? Why not release to all initially planned countries and just have the others gimped as well? Maybe it is related to yield issues on the hardware or some other factor(s).
post #7218 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

To add it will be a simple firmware update and it could be just a few weeks after purchase. Hardly a deciding factor.

I wonder how the time table went with the original Kinect on the 360.
post #7219 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 35
I'd say the truth lies in the middle. Some manufacturing issues, some language optimization... they are probably picking their spots. Which populations have the highest percentage of English/supported language speaking people? Which markets are most important as far as sales? I'm sure it all goes into the decision.

It would be easier on everyone if they simply said so.
freemeat likes this.
post #7220 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Simple solution...learn to speak American.
mboojigga likes this.
post #7221 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdethloff View Post

Simple solution...learn to speak American.
[I.w.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/267002/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I thought Texans wanted to secede? wink.gif I guess that would still make you American though like our Canadian brothers.
post #7222 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

From a post at another forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Penello (Sr. Director - Product Management and Planning at Microsoft Corporation

Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation.
post #7223 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
No matter what they say, there will always be someone complaining. I'm just happy that new consoles are finally coming out after too many years.
post #7224 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 19
Following up on the guy who mentioned October 15th. It would be priceless for Microsoft to accept the 180 degree criticisms and float some trial ballons saying that it actually won't be released in November, and then drop the bombshell it is releasing in October. We could stream 360 or ps3 through the Xbox One until games release on Nov 5th. Now that would be a marketing scheme/swerve.

Won't happen presumably, but would be hilarious!
post #7225 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Savage View Post

Following up on the guy who mentioned October 15th. It would be priceless for Microsoft to accept the 180 degree criticisms and float some trial ballons saying that it actually won't be released in November, and then drop the bombshell it is releasing in October. We could stream 360 or ps3 through the Xbox One until games release on Nov 5th. Now that would be a marketing scheme/swerve.

Won't happen presumably, but would be hilarious!

Hah, So bump the release 1 month ahead for the 24% of countries where Kinect is working properly.
post #7226 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
That "Get the Facts" page went up some time ago; it wouldn't surprise me if "the facts" have changed without it being updated.

If they're going to release in some countries without Kinect voice commands they need to make that perfectly clear sooner rather than later.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7227 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

That "Get the Facts" page went up some time ago; it wouldn't surprise me if "the facts" have changed without it being updated.

If they're going to release in some countries without Kinect voice commands they need to make that perfectly clear sooner rather than later.

E3 was announcement of 21 launch countries.
In August they lowered it to 13 launch countries.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-confirmed-markets
Quote:
While we wish we could launch Xbox One simultaneously in these markets, there are many factors that determine the timing of specific market launches. This includes work to localize the Xbox One dash, incorporate additional voice and languages, and build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country.

When do you think it was updated to reflect that they only have voice commands working in 5 countries? Wouldn't previous facts shown a figure higher than 5?

Yes, they need to make it crystal clear. Especially at the retail front if they intend to sell units in countries without that functionality.
post #7228 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I thought Texans wanted to secede? wink.gif

Nah not all of us. smile.gif
post #7229 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
The information on that page is more up to date than I thought; it contains, "Xbox One does not require a Kinect to be plugged in for the system to function."

If it is true that they're only going to support voice commands in a few countries at launch they've chosen a very, very poor way to disclose that.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #7230 of 16811 Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

No matter what they say, there will always be someone complaining. I'm just happy that new consoles are finally coming out after too many years.

Why is everything a slight? People are just trying to figure out the plan, navigate the PR, and guess when this thing is going to get released.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page