post #8191 of 17036 Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I realize that it's an ad; I watched the four little "making of"-like clips ("The Car Behind FilmSpeed", "The Concept Behind FilmSpeed", "The Vision Behind FilmSpeed" and "The Math Behind FilmSpeed"). Though cool in a way and probably not the world's most expensive ad, it just seems so...purposeless.

I think I completely missed the point. The entire time watching it I was thinking what the heck is this? They set up a bunch of pictures and film them from a car driving by at 100mph? I still don't get it.

It's just like when you put a bunch of still pictures in a book and they go through the pages fast and it looks like they move.

Of course I have no idea at all who was driving the car. Although I don't think it would have mattered who it was anyway.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 17036 Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It's just like when you put a bunch of still pictures in a book and they go through the pages fast and it looks like they move.

They created the world's largest zoetrope. It was just an attention grabbing stunt, but you'd think that they could come up with a better, more meaningful one. Whatever; as Captain Gregg points out, it did grab our attention. Of course, we're people who were fully aware of Forza 5 before seeing this, so its kind of wasted on us.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #8193 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Arstechnica has a good article on the new dash:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/xbox-one-interface-a-clean-slate-inspired-by-windows-8/

At the Tokyo Game Show this week, Microsoft showed off an early demo of the Xbox One's revamped user interface. The demo was behind closed doors and the live beta testing code being shown was "not even close to final," according to Microsoft Director of Product Planning Albert Penello.

Rather than explicitly separating features into different tabs as on the Xbox 360, the menu is now a grid of square and rectangular items that scrolls as a continuous horizontal line. It's a setup that will be immediately comfortable to anyone who has used Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8, and the explicit similarities are designed to provide "familiarity" to many users, Penello said.

In general, the top level of the Xbox One menu feels a lot less cluttered than the Xbox 360's dashboard.

Multitasking

There is no more pop-up "Xbox guide" when you tap the Xbox button on the controller, either. The system instead pops right back to the home screen, where your current app or game can be seen still running, live, in a large rectangular box. That app will continue running in the background even when you open up another; the system can handle up to four apps and one game running in active memory before it needs to start shutting stuff down.

Aside from quick switching, Xbox One also allows for more active multitasking—running Xbox Music in the background while playing a game, for instance, or "snapping" an app to a thin column on the side of the screen, Windows 8-style. In the latter case, the primary game screen becomes letterboxed in the larger area, which could get annoying when used for a long time. I can see snapping being useful for quick functions like starting a gameplay recording or calling up a check of your friends list without actually interrupting the game.

Getting around

Though Penello was holding a controller, he mostly used voice commands to do everything from opening apps to snapping them to the side. He had to repeat himself once, but for the most part the Kinect microphone understood him quickly and accurately, at least in the somewhat idealized demo environment.

The Xbox One UI also supports Kinect-based hand gestures, of course, which seem much more streamlined and integrated than on the Xbox 360. You wave your open-palmed hand in front of the screen to get a little pointer icon that creates a gentle highlighting effect over whatever option is underneath it. Close your hand into a fist to grab the interface and drag it left or right, or push your palm forward to gently select an option, as if you were pushing an oversized button. The additional sensitivity of the new Kinect seems put to good use here, though I'm still not sure I'd want to hold my arm up to control the system for extended periods of time.

Microsoft also showed off how the Kinect will use an IR blast to control the volume of the TV or basic controls like play, pause, and fast forward on a DVR. Though the IR blaster is on the front face of the Kinect, the signal bounced off the walls and back to the TV behind it when Penello said "Xbox Mute" in our demo. I have to admit, I can see using that particular feature a lot rather than fumbling around for a TV remote while holding an Xbox controller.

And then there was a blurb on how Microsoft decided not to store your Kinect facial recognition in the cloud:

Portable settings, local facial recognition

Penello made special note during our demo that we were running on a box that Microsoft happened to have lying around in Japan, yet all of his personal settings were easily accessible through the cloud. Everything from his Gamertag and friend notifications to his pinned favorites, saved games, and purchased apps were automatically downloaded onto the new machine in the background. All he needed to do was log in with a Microsoft Live ID—there was no lengthy "recover profile" download like the one required on the Xbox 360, he said.

The one exception to this rule is the Xbox One's Kinect facial recognition features, which can be use to automatically log players in to their Xbox Live accounts. That data is stored locally on each machine and is not transferable via the cloud, a decision that Penello said was much debated inside Microsoft.

"We're about 50/50 on that, and we decided to take the more conservative course," he said. "We've had a lot of people ask us if we can do that. We also know that a lot of people are concerned with privacy, we hear the jokes, so we don't actually store any of your personal physical information in the cloud—that is stored locally on the console… We know that some people have asked for that, but we don't do it."
post #8194 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They created the world's largest zoetrope. It was just an attention grabbing stunt, but you'd think that they could come up with a better, more meaningful one. Whatever; as Captain Gregg points out, it did grab our attention. Of course, we're people who were fully aware of Forza 5 before seeing this, so its kind of wasted on us.

the first thing I thought of was the old flip books we did as little kids where you draw a slightly different picture and then flip through the pages for the animation. ahh... good memories.
post #8195 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/xbox-one-interface-a-clean-slate-inspired-by-windows-8/

There is no more pop-up "Xbox guide" when you tap the Xbox button on the controller, either. The system instead pops right back to the home screen, where your current app or game can be seen still running, live, in a large rectangular box. That app will continue running in the background even when you open up another; the system can handle up to four apps and one game running in active memory before it needs to start shutting stuff down.

Aside from quick switching, Xbox One also allows for more active multitasking—running Xbox Music in the background while playing a game, for instance, or "snapping" an app to a thin column on the side of the screen, Windows 8-style. In the latter case, the primary game screen becomes letterboxed in the larger area, which

it."

One of my favorite features of 360 was , multiplayer aside, being able to hit the guide button anywhere to pause the game. It was especially good in long movies when the phone rang.

So 4 apps

1. Music
2. Skype/private chat
3. Fantasy sports rooster
4.?
post #8196 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

At least they're trying to explain their design approach, though the same people whining that they didn't before are now whining that they shouldn't have had to. It won't matter for the people with the PC mindset who seem to think this is all straight-forward, but I imagine stat-whores have already made up their minds which way they're going anyway. Looking forward to seeing the Xbox One in person when I get mine, specs be damned!
onlysublime and mboojigga like this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #8197 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer View Post

...3. Fantasy sports rooster...

post #8198 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-the-xbox-one-architects

At least they're trying to explain their design approach, though the same people whining that they didn't before are now whining that they shouldn't have had to. It won't matter for the people with the PC mindset who seem to think this is all straight-forward, but I imagine stat-whores have already made up their minds which way they're going anyway. Looking forward to seeing the Xbox One in person when I get mine, specs be damned!

Interesting stuff. Nothing revelatory in there though, just more of the same.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8199 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I saw this stat posted, and I thought it was interesting.
Quote:
Microsoft revealed today that 42 percent of Xbox Live subscribers watch 30 hours of movie and TV content each month and that 40 percent of the Xbox Live audience are women, according to Microsoft chief operating officer Kevin Turner. The executive was speaking onstage today during Microsoft’s annual financial-analysts meeting.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/19/microsoft-coo-40-percent-of-xbox-live-audience-are-female/
post #8200 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Multitasking

Aside from quick switching, Xbox One also allows for more active multitasking—running Xbox Music in the background while playing a game, for instance, or "snapping" an app to a thin column on the side of the screen, Windows 8-style. In the latter case, the primary game screen becomes letterboxed in the larger area, which could get annoying when used for a long time. I can see snapping being useful for quick functions like starting a gameplay recording or calling up a check of your friends list without actually interrupting the game.

I find this bit interesting because I thought I read that Xbox music would not run in the background.
post #8201 of 17036 Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If the network music services can't run in the background replacing game music like the 360's system music player it will be a travesty. It's a feature that I really wanted on the 360; there's no way I was going to use a device which draws as much power as an Xbox just to stream network music, so those players were completely useless on the 360.

"
" -- hookbill
post #8202 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the only thing I found useful from the Destructoid write up of the dashboard preview.
Quote:
The Xbox One can run four apps at the same time in the background. Switching between them is not unlike how it would work on your mobile phone. It's instant. Hitting the X button on the controller takes you back to your home screen, where you'll see four boxes that represent the apps or games running. Pick from any of them to jump right in.

While you can run multiple apps, only one game can be run at one time. Switching games is really easy, though. A voice command will have your current game shut down in 10 seconds, ready to load another.

The apps you have loaded can be snapped to the side of the screen, keeping them visible while you do other things. Imagine having a FAQ pulled up in Internet Explorer while playing a dungeon crawler, or Xbox Music running while you check up on your friends list. For game capture, pinning will be especially handy.

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-interface-is-clean-uncluttered-262315.phtml
onlysublime likes this.
post #8203 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Did anyone see the Penello tweet mentioning that running another console into the Xb1's hdmi input was not ideal for gaming because of the input lag it introduces? Not that I was planning on it, but it kind of suck for the people that wanted to run their 360 through the one. I'm not sure why this would cause issues other than possibly the way they are handling that input as an "app" in the hypervisor.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #8204 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Maybe he said it so people wouldnt connect a PS4 into it.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
post #8205 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Did anyone see the Penello tweet mentioning that running another console into the Xb1's hdmi input was not ideal for gaming because of the input lag it introduces? Not that I was planning on it, but it kind of suck for the people that wanted to run their 360 through the one. I'm not sure why this would cause issues other than possibly the way they are handling that input as an "app" in the hypervisor.

Well, that's too bad. I was hoping with everything handled by dedicated processors it would be quick. I figured it would do nothing more than decode the HDMI, send it to the compositor/shape and spit it right back out with minimal processing.

I guess since it was never intended for real time applications to begin with, they didn't put a premium on speed. I'm a little concerned that they're going to screw up the image quality of anything running through there now.

post #8206 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
It's really designed for a cable box isn't it? That image quality is only so good any way.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8207 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It's really designed for a cable box isn't it? That image quality is only so good any way.

Yeah, that's the initial intent at least. They just have a history of not getting the blacks right, but I can see them messing up a whole lot more of that now.

I think the reason for the added delay is that their scaler/compositor only supports 3 layers. 2 are used by a running game, leaving only one for the apps. Meaning they'd have to read the entire image into the GPU and run any sort of UI on there. If the compositor had another layer, they could have just run the UI on that layer while cleanly and quickly passing the actual signal through.

post #8208 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I know my Onkyo (a terribly old and bad AVR) added enough latency to ruin Guitar Hero/Rock Band and other latency-senstive games. And I had more lag over HDMI than with component.

That said, I'm going to try out the 360 on the One. I think the tweet is to partially downplay the idea of hooking a Playstation to an Xbox. smile.gif
post #8209 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:

I know my Onkyo (a terribly old and bad AVR) added enough latency to ruin Guitar Hero/Rock Band and other latency-senstive games. And I had more lag over HDMI than with component.

That said, I'm going to try out the 360 on the One. I think the tweet is to partially downplay the idea of hooking a Playstation to an Xbox. smile.gif

On my Onkyo 804 "Stereo" mode has noticeable latency in the audio but when I switch to Pure/Direct it outputs to the speakers faster and in sync as if I just ran the system directly to the tv speakers. I initially figured it out due to having the tv speakers on and receive on at the same time, hearing the delayed sound from speaker, where as with Pure/Direct it isn't there. A shame because my Sub isn't wired to run during Pure/Direct mode (I can probably find a way to do it).

I never thought about component versus HDMI. I wonder if HDMI versus Optical for sound is different as well (I'm running optical as my HDMI in no longer works (I'm running a 2.1 so it really doesn't matter for lossless)and still get the delay on "stereo" mode).
post #8210 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what Albert Penello said on Reddit
Quote:
To be clear - I don't have the final latency numbers. For video, it's irrelevant since there is no interaction. The video plays just as you would expect. Remember - your video goes in, it's passed through, and it comes out. You only see the part that comes out, so there is effectively no latency.

However, For gaming, that few milliseconds becomes more noticeable since you have an input device, like a controller. For certain gaming scenarios, that could be a deal-killer. Others may not notice it.

What's funny (I posted this on GAF) was that this wasn't even something I brought up in the interview. A question was asked from a reporter, which I quickly answered. This then became news, even though it's been disclosed previously.

Just funny how news travels.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1mxe4v/playing_ps4_through_the_xbox_one_wont_be_a_great/
post #8211 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/430512/xbox-one-game-dvr-clips-only-shareable-on-xbox-live-at-launch/
Quote:

Xbox One game DVR clips only shareable on Xbox Live at launch
Captured video will be shareable on YouTube and Facebook in 2014

Gameplay footage captured using Xbox One's DVR functionality will only be shareable on Xbox Live at launch.

During a Tokyo Game Show demonstration, Xbox One head of product planning Albert Penello told Destructoid that gameplay footage will be shareable on social networks like YouTube and Facebook some time next year.

Xbox One will automatically record five minutes of gameplay. DVR functionality will play back at a fixed 30 frames per second in 720p resolution, irrespective of the game's native settings.

Xbox One owners will require an Xbox Live Gold subscription if they want to make use of the console's game DVR functionality.

PS4 will continually record 15 minutes of gameplay data in the background for users to capture and publish online.

Recorded PS4 data can be brought up using the DualShock 4's Share button, allowing players to edit and crop footage and share it across social networks via Ustream.

PS4 owners won't require a PlayStation Plus subscription to use the console's video capture features.
post #8212 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I'm going to try out the 360 on the One. I think the tweet is to partially downplay the idea of hooking a Playstation to an Xbox. smile.gif

What ? Are you serious ? If you have any average HDTV your input lag is already 30-45 ms, adding any more lag could definitely be an issue.

This will be something that gets tested by numerous sources after launch, so it'll be interesting to see exactly how much lag the XBone introduces.

I don't know why the hell you'd want to plug a console into a console anyway.
post #8213 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gregg View Post

What ? Are you serious ? If you have any average HDTV your input lag is already 30-45 ms, adding any more lag could definitely be an issue.

This will be something that gets tested by numerous sources after launch, so it'll be interesting to see exactly how much lag the XBone introduces.

So you can be signed into both networks at once. You'd be able to get XBL party invites while you're playing a PS4 game.

post #8214 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gregg View Post

I'm going to plug a 360 into an Xbox One and then into another Xbox One... because INCEPTION! tongue.gif

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #8215 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

I'm going to plug a 360 into an Xbox One and then into another Xbox One... because INCEPTION! tongue.gif

Oh yeah!? Well I'm going to plug my Xbox One into itself. Infinite recursion!!!!

Just think what will happen when Xbox One can harness the power of Xbox One can harness the power of Xbox One can harness the power of Xbox One

Exception: Stack Overflow! Out of Memory!

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #8216 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully the added lag is only there if you use a running Xbox One to display the video and that it provide passive pass-through when in the "Off" state. I'd really like to run my Xbox through the Xbox One, which would minimize configuration trauma.

"
" -- hookbill
post #8217 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Hopefully the added lag is only there if you use a running Xbox One to display the video and that it provide passive pass-through when in the "Off" state. I'd really like to run my Xbox through the Xbox One, which would minimize configuration trauma.
Agreed. I really need my Pinball FX2 fix! Out of all the games that is the one that I would miss the most since it does not carry over.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #8218 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Click link for full article:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-23-xbox-one-our-long-term-vision-hasnt-changed-at-all
Quote:

Xbox One: "Our long term vision hasn't changed at all"

Microsoft's Phil Harrison discusses why there will be no indie games at the Xbox One launch, digital price parity and the cost of next-gen development

It's been a turbulent three months for the Xbox business. The unveiling of a new games console was fumbled badly with unpopular announcements and assumptions about consumer behaviour - a situation that benefited rival Sony as much as it harmed Microsoft. Since then, the company has u-turned on its original digital vision, shelving always-on requirements, cutting back Kinect functionality and opening up to used games. And it was slow to talk about its support for independent publishing on Xbox One, only revealing detailed plans last month at Gamescom while rival Sony had spent months publicly shaking hands and kissing the babies of indie game development.
post #8219 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

IGN is showing samples of the new 1080P gamertag pics...

Will we be able to import our own JPEG’s, etc. for use as Gamerpics?

WHITTEN: We are focused on building out a beautiful collection of 1080p gamerpics for our users on Xbox One. You’ll also be able to create full-body poses of your Avatar to use as a gamerpic. You’ll see us do much more here in the future. At launch, we expect to have 300 gamerpics to choose from. Here are three examples:

freemeat likes this.
post #8220 of 17036 Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The giant Sasquatch looks cool.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List