post #8911 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Do you believe that the majority of users of Xbox 360 and PS3 don't use them to play video games? Or don't use them to play "serious" non-arcade games? So what platform do "so called gamers" use? Certainly only a minuscule minority of home PC users play "serious" video games on them.

Not sure about the PS3 figures except that last I heard was that the PS3 was the number one Netflix streaming device. And in 2012 it was announced that more people use the 360 for online entertainment than gaming.

Which I would think would be what all systems would strive for. Since there is more money to be made from a broader market than a narrow one. So the more people that use your system the better. Games alone won't get you there.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
This explains why Microsoft still has free apps behind a paywall..

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-changing-xbox-live-terms-of-use/1100-6415826/
Quote:
Microsoft has announced an update for its Xbox Live Terms of Use (TOU) that covers what data the company can share with partners that publish applications, like ESPN or Netflix, that require a separate user account.

"If you choose to link this account with your Xbox Live account, we confirm key data points across the accounts by sharing data such as your name, address, email address, and date of birth with the partner," Microsoft said. "In this TOU update, customers agree to allow Microsoft to share this information in this manner."

You don't do this 3 weeks before a Launch and expect good reactions.
post #8913 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Interesting take away on the "battlefield 4 ps4 vs XO" video from a credible independent source

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/10/29/battlefield-4-on-xbox-one-vs-ps4-no-discernible-difference/

I know this is a forum where visuals matter to the nth degree, but I think this is what average gamers see including myself.
post #8914 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

Interesting take away on the "battlefield 4 ps4 vs XO" video from a credible independent source

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/10/29/battlefield-4-on-xbox-one-vs-ps4-no-discernible-difference/

I know this is a forum where visuals matter to the nth degree, but I think this is what average gamers see including myself.

Pretty much.

As Erik Kain reminds us, one version of this game does handily trump the others — PC. People that care deeply about the details of graphics play gaming PCs, and that’s all there is to it. Such minutiae do not impact the console market.
Kimeran likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #8915 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Pretty much.

As Erik Kain reminds us, one version of this game does handily trump the others — PC. People that care deeply about the details of graphics play gaming PCs, and that’s all there is to it. Such minutiae do not impact the console market.

If only it were that simple.  I care deeply about the detail of graphics, but I care even more deeply about being able to play with friends.  For single player games, PC all the way.  I'm honestly a little annoyed that I need to buy a console at all to play with other console gamers, games should be games. Maybe one day we'll get to the point where anyone can play with anyone, the only sane restriction being that mouse/kb and controller can't mix. 

Jonny5nz likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8916 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 170
you can't go "full PC" though.

Never go "Full PC"

always remember.... Red Dead Redemption
pcweber111 likes this.
post #8917 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-changing-xbox-live-terms-of-use/1100-6415826/

What is the big deal? They already have the same info about me that MS has.
pennhunter and mboojigga like this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8918 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I agree it's a non-story, I can't think of an 360 app that didn't require that information. Even AVS has that information if you register.

Live Gamertags: PennHunter, world builder and aNUNandHERdog.
PSN: pennhunter
post #8919 of 17602 Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If only it were that simple.  I care deeply about the detail of graphics, but I care even more deeply about being able to play with friends.  For single player games, PC all the way.  I'm honestly a little annoyed that I need to buy a console at all to play with other console gamers, games should be games. Maybe one day we'll get to the point where anyone can play with anyone, the only sane restriction being that mouse/kb and controller can't mix. 
I have a friend who refuses to play with the mouse/kb on battlefield and uses only the 360 controller on his PC. He does pretty good with it so I say use what equipment you want to use and game with everyone! I agree though it would be nice if we could use whichever system and still play online together though.
TeflonSoul likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #8920 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
The Jackfrags review of bf4 on ps4 and xb1 states that both versions run at 60fps. A recent digital foundry video makes it seem like both versions dip between 30 and 50 FPS. What's the deal

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #8921 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is...The Xbox1 didn't output correctly and that made those screen shots look better? Sounds like a happy accident to me. It's like the people saw it and were like, "this looks different, there's more contrast and for some reason the colors are more saturated--and that somehow makes it look better...that's a problem". That's like me accidentally putting bbq sauce on my french fries because the bottle was labeled incorrectly--but I end up liking the bbq sauce more than ketchup...do I complain to the restaurant manager?

I'm not saying that the issue with the output shouldn't be fixed, but maybe the lesson to be learned here is that this game looks better with limited, and more saturated, color?

These two consoles are too close to each other, as far as their capabilities go--not much room for bragging rights...I'll probably end up getting the R9 290x and putting it in my HTPC, and then taking the 6970 out of there and crossfiring it with this computer's 6950...the only way I can see myself getting a console version of a game that's supposed to be graphically intense, when there's also a pc version, is if the the Xbox1 version also has some cool kinect gimmicks.

thread closed
post #8922 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Earlier this month MS made the comment "We do not collect information to share or sell. You are fully in control of your personal data. Your privacy is important to us." What happened between then and now ?

They are rolling out the update this week so I'll give it a good read and I'll also be on the lookout for any updated TOS from any of the apps like netflix.

The thing I am worried about is that MS and Netflix and others say they do not "Sell" your information and if I agree to let them give my information to Netflix and Netflix gives your Information to Microsoft then that given information can be sold at will since it is not subject to the "Will not sell" clause from each vendor unless it is covered in the new TOS.

Again I'll wait to see how this is worded in the new TOS. So hopefully you guys don't just blindly agree when you get a new TOS.

You do remember what happened in South Park with the new Apple TOS. We don't need any centipedes.... smile.gif
post #8923 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is...The Xbox1 didn't output correctly and that made those screen shots look better? Sounds like a happy accident to me. It's like the people saw it and were like, "this looks different, there's more contrast and for some reason the colors are more saturated--and that somehow makes it look better...that's a problem". That's like me accidentally putting bbq sauce on my french fries because the bottle was labeled incorrectly--but I end up liking the bbq sauce more than ketchup...do I complain to the restaurant manager?

I'm not saying that the issue with the output shouldn't be fixed, but maybe the lesson to be learned here is that this game looks better with limited, and more saturated, color?

These two consoles are too close to each other, as far as their capabilities go--not much room for bragging rights...I'll probably end up getting the R9 290x and putting it in my HTPC, and then taking the 6970 out of there and crossfiring it with this computer's 6950...the only way I can see myself getting a console version of a game that's supposed to be graphically intense, when there's also a pc version, is if the the Xbox1 version also has some cool kinect gimmicks.

On a TV set up properly, the PS4/PC version would look a lot more like the X1 pics you saw on your monitor, while the X1 version would be so dark it'll be unplayable.

post #8924 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

you can't go "full PC" though.

Never go "Full PC"

always remember.... Red Dead Redemption

Hence the reason why I still have consoles. Unfortunately there are games I can't get on the PC that I want to play, this being among them. Shame we never got a PC port I can only imagine how much cleaner it'd look.
post #8925 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

I remember when the last gen consoles coming out that there was some talk about cross platform gaming. Atleast between 360 and PC but that obviously never came into existence.

Now though Project Spark can be played on Windows 8 and X1 with atleast level creation being something that can be shared between the two. So maybe one day we will get there.

I doubt that we will see PC-PS4 crossplatform gaming simply because the OS is so different. But I wouldnt be suprised if they could allow it with the X1 and PC....they just dont open it up.

Hence the reason I am a PC gamer as all my friends game on PC and now with the Steam Controller coming out I think you will start to see more who really care about graphics moving to the Steam Machines and such.

However I think there will be two big "features" that will make people decide.

I think the Steam Machine will be more of a "powerhouse" in terms of graphics and possibly load times depending on the HDD that is in the unit

Then I think consoles will have the "experience" because you have the Kinect, the TV integration, split screen gaming, etc.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #8926 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I doubt that we will see PC-PS4 crossplatform gaming simply because the OS is so different. .

Warframe was already announced that it would be crossplatform for the PS4 and PC

I believe the main issues others have with cross platform play is that when they push updates they need to do so across all platforms at the same time which means extensive inter-platform testing.

Most of the developers just don't have the time to spare. So it isn't a matter of can they do it as much as they don't have the time to support it.
post #8927 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

Okay... How does that explain why the apps are behind a paywall... or cause negative reactions? They're sharing data for verification that the other party presumably already has for security purposes to link accounts when YOU initiate account linking. Given the apps system on Xbox One and the way the system is context sensitive, I don't see a problem with a little security checking. Maybe I'm not understanding the problem here...
pennhunter likes this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #8928 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
GOD!!!

I love pre-launch speculation discussion!!!!

And seriously, Am I the only one who doesn't have personal info tied to my 360? I have a generic email address a generic age etc... I do not tie in to facebook.

The only thing I have that could be linked to me is a credit card. If they give that info away, my guess is that would get them into real trouble.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #8929 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Warframe was already announced that it would be crossplatform for the PS4 and PC

I believe the main issues others have with cross platform play is that when they push updates they need to do so across all platforms at the same time which means extensive inter-platform testing.

Most of the developers just don't have the time to spare. So it isn't a matter of can they do it as much as they don't have the time to support it.

Hey cool! I had not seen that news. I dont play Warframe but I know some who do.

post #8930 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

GOD!!!

I love pre-launch speculation discussion!!!!

And seriously, Am I the only one who doesn't have personal info tied to my 360? I have a generic email address a generic age etc... I do not tie in to facebook.

The only thing I have that could be linked to me is a credit card. If they give that info away, my guess is that would get them into real trouble.

I always am curious as to why people get so upset when one company says that they will share your information when so many have it available online for free.

I have no facebook or anything....but I do have LinkedIn which has my contact information. Why? Simple, when you are out of work it can make finding a job easier.

post #8931 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Maybe off topic a bit, Mods move it if necessary. I was wondering with a Windows operating system and games now being downloaded to your local hard drive (I'm assuming like steam), how likely do you guys think that people maybe able to mod games. I started playing mods of popular games (Total War being one of those) and have found them to be better than the original in most cases and offering more bang for your buck, say two or three variations of the same game.
post #8932 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I remember when the last gen consoles coming out that there was some talk about cross platform gaming. Atleast between 360 and PC but that obviously never came into existence.

Now though Project Spark can be played on Windows 8 and X1 with atleast level creation being something that can be shared between the two. So maybe one day we will get there.

I doubt that we will see PC-PS4 crossplatform gaming simply because the OS is so different. But I wouldnt be suprised if they could allow it with the X1 and PC....they just dont open it up.

Hence the reason I am a PC gamer as all my friends game on PC and now with the Steam Controller coming out I think you will start to see more who really care about graphics moving to the Steam Machines and such.

However I think there will be two big "features" that will make people decide.

I think the Steam Machine will be more of a "powerhouse" in terms of graphics and possibly load times depending on the HDD that is in the unit

Then I think consoles will have the "experience" because you have the Kinect, the TV integration, split screen gaming, etc.

MS has to walk a really fine line here...the last time they tried cross platform, IIRC you needed to be an XBL gold subscriber to take part on PC. That clearly didn't fly with PC gamers.

It remains to be seen whether or not they'll expect people to have XBL gold to play titanfall online on PC. If they do, PC gamers will flip out. If they don't, console gamers will ask why PC gets to use "the cloud" for free.

Should be fun to watch the fiasco unfold, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify the x1+gold sub for just one game.

post #8933 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 201
For anyone that doesn't have a preorder already, Gamestop, or at least the one in Colorado Springs I went to, is taking orders today for the standard edition that they say will be able to be picked up at launch.

I had a bit of a scare last night when I realized that I hadn't actually preordered through Amazon like I thought. Turns out I had put it in my cart (but not ordered) the morning of the day my house burned down in the CO forest fires. I think my wife must have then moved it to the "save for later" part and I thought I had preordered. Doh!

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #8934 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MS has to walk a really fine line here...the last time they tried cross platform, IIRC you needed to be an XBL gold subscriber to take part on PC. That clearly didn't fly with PC gamers.

It remains to be seen whether or not they'll expect people to have XBL gold to play titanfall online on PC. If they do, PC gamers will flip out. If they don't, console gamers will ask why PC gets to use "the cloud" for free.

Should be fun to watch the fiasco unfold, but I'm finding it increasingly hard to justify the x1+gold sub for just one game.

Is the PC version going to be using the cloud? I had not heard that and I was assuming that the cloud would not be available to PC gamers. This is obviously a BIG assumption on my part though.

post #8935 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is the PC version going to be using the cloud? I had not heard that and I was assuming that the cloud would not be available to PC gamers. This is obviously a BIG assumption on my part though.

Well someone's gotta host the dedicated servers, it's an integral part of the game.

post #8936 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post

Maybe off topic a bit, Mods move it if necessary. I was wondering with a Windows operating system and games now being downloaded to your local hard drive (I'm assuming like steam), how likely do you guys think that people maybe able to mod games. I started playing mods of popular games (Total War being one of those) and have found them to be better than the original in most cases and offering more bang for your buck, say two or three variations of the same game.

I think if they do allow mods it would have more to do with the back end changes to Xbox Live than the OS itself. I would say the chances are not that good, but if you look at Project Spark which is essentially mod everything the game you can see Microsoft is opening up their network to new ideas.
post #8937 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well someone's gotta host the dedicated servers, it's an integral part of the game.

Yes but I am thinking your normal server approach on PC where none of the computing tasks are offloaded to the "cloud" like Titanfall supposedly does.

post #8938 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 765
post #8939 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20

RIP XBone 2013-2013

j/k both preordered cool.gif

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #8940 of 17602 Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes but I am thinking your normal server approach on PC where none of the computing tasks are offloaded to the "cloud" like Titanfall supposedly does.

The only computing TF is offloading to the cloud are the bots, the same stuff dedicated servers have done since forever.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page