post #9361 of 17038 Old 11-07-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

I get that people want to minimize the cost of doing whatever it is they do, or that they've got an eco-reason for reducing power consumption, but it all does sound sorta ridiculous in the context of home theater video gaming. First world problem right? How many kW-hrs do we all use checking out AVSforum per year? biggrin.gif

I don't mean to be an "eco-Nazi" but every little bit helps. Millions of people will be using these boxes in the United States alone. Imagine how much extra fossil fuel will be burned to create electricity for millions of people running both their cable or satellite STBs and their Xbox Ones just to watch television programs which could just as easily be watched with just the tuner STB. My original comment was about that and had nothing to do with the "Xbox On" standby mode power consumption, though that is a concern as well.

There's been enough chatter about this. Let's just let it go. No one's going to change my opinion and most people are apathetic about the issue. On the other hand there are people who are much more serious about it than I am, placing devices on their equipment to completely cut their power when they're not in use, disabling their ability to be turned on by remote at all.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 17038 Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUHSr8sfaw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUw7FkXsC00lH2v2yB5LQoYA

Great DR3 Gameplay
pennhunter likes this.
post #9363 of 17038 Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't mean to be an "eco-Nazi" but every little bit helps. Millions of people will be using these boxes in the United States alone. Imagine how much extra fossil fuel will be burned to create electricity for millions of people running both their cable or satellite STBs

my eco footprint must drive you crazy. two of my PCs run 24/7. not even true sleep mode. HDDs are always running. and besides, all the consoles in existence still have a smaller footprint than PCs since PCs vastly outnumber consoles.
pennhunter likes this.
post #9364 of 17038 Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

HDDs are always running. and besides, all the consoles in existence still have a smaller footprint than PCs since PCs vastly outnumber consoles.

I put mine in "sleep mode" and many PCs get powered down completely and rebooted when people want to use them.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #9365 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

You know, I was just thinking... is it just me or do is there still a ton of information that we simply don't know about the system, considering that it's coming out in a little over two weeks? I mean, pretty much any non-gaming functionality is still a giant unknown at this point. Nobody knows which cable (or satellite) boxes it'll work with, which video streaming apps will be there at launch, or which features will be there for connecting to Windows 8.1 (we know about DLNA, but will the One retain the "Play on Xbox" option for Xbox Music and Video? and will it maybe support Miracast like 8.1 does?).

Again, maybe it's just me, but it seems a little crazy how many questions there still are at this point.
I'm with you. It seems this close to the wire we ought to know more of the fine print. I'd like to see the DLNA piece in action. Which codecs will the XB1 support? Which audio formats can you stream? I'm not a fan of playing "I have a secret".

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy...
post #9366 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
A demo of the new Dashboard including switching, the guide, and switching users. I thought it was really awesome what they are capable of doing.
post #9367 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is the list of the first wave of entertainment apps for the Xbox One. You can find more apps for different countries in the link below.

United States
• Amazon Instant Video
• Crackle
• CWTV
• ESPN
• FOX NOW
• FXNOW
• HBO GO (coming soon)
• Hulu Plus
• Machinima
• MUZU TV
• Netflix
• Redbox Instant by Verizon
• Target Ticket
• TED
• The NFL on Xbox One
• Twitch
• Univision Deportes
• Verizon FiOS TV
• VUDU

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/8/5080210/xbox-one-apps-for-tv-and-entertainment-revealed
onlysublime likes this.
post #9368 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Here is the list of the first wave of entertainment apps for the Xbox One. You can find more apps for different countries in the link below.

United States
• Amazon Instant Video
• Crackle
• CWTV
• ESPN
• FOX NOW
• FXNOW
• HBO GO (coming soon)
• Hulu Plus
• Machinima
• MUZU TV
• Netflix
• Target Ticket
• TED
• The NFL on Xbox One
• Twitch
• Univision Deportes
• Verizon FiOS TV
• VUDU

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/8/5080210/xbox-one-apps-for-tv-and-entertainment-revealed

Dang I am going to raise hell at work about why Xfinity isn't ready at launch biggrin.gif. At least HBO Go is coming soon.

The 5.0 is here
post #9369 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

IGN has their own video walk through of the new dashboard.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/08/xbox-one-dashboard-walkthrough
onlysublime likes this.
post #9370 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I think they are gun shy about releasing any non gaming information after that initial,unwarranted, uproar.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY GAMES!!! Hey where's all my old features?
beach scrub likes this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #9371 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A demo of the new Dashboard including switching, the guide, and switching users. I thought it was really awesome what they are capable of doing.

So fast and fluid I can't wait.

The 5.0 is here
post #9372 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Great video, thanks for sharing that. I was on the fence, but I'm sold now. Was it me or did dude suck at Forza?

It's really cool to see Microsoft finally acknowledge and even utilize the Xbox brand as the focal point in their ecosystem, finally. Apple has always been a walled garden in regards to their gear working together really well. Microsoft always appeared to be several walled gardens connected to each other, that didn't even acknowledge the others existed. This true unified ecosystem lead by windows 8 and Xbox could prove very valuable to Microsoft during the life span of this generation.

Of course there may be trade offs but I'm to the point of wanting my gear to have seamless integration regardless of brand and OS. Microsoft is getting that concept and taking action on it. It's not about all graphics and frames/second, it's about pulling services together to enrich lives. To me the Xbox One inspires that.

PSN/XBL scrub175
post #9373 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

United States
• Amazon Instant Video
• Crackle
• CWTV
• ESPN
• FOX NOW
• FXNOW
• HBO GO (coming soon)
• Hulu Plus
• Machinima
• MUZU TV
• Netflix
• Target Ticket
• TED
• The NFL on Xbox One
• Twitch
• Univision Deportes
• Verizon FiOS TV
• VUDU

I just hope they don't have the audio issues that some apps still have on the 360 and PS4.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9374 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Dang I am going to raise hell at work about why Xfinity isn't ready at launch biggrin.gif. At least HBO Go is coming soon.

I was looking for the TWC app, but mostly I used that app so I would not have to switch inputs to watch tv. The Xbox One has that built in, but it is still nice to have another tv signal when I am recording two shows at once.
post #9375 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That looks really nice. I seemed like it was very fluid when they were switching back and forth.

post #9376 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was looking for the TWC app, but mostly I used that app so I would not have to switch inputs to watch tv. The Xbox One has that built in, but it is still nice to have another tv signal when I am recording two shows at once.

Now I get updates on my phone that I had a response to my post. Cool. Anyways I am going to upgrade to X1(Comcast) or wait on X2. I am about to move and right now nationwide X1 is in high demand so we haven't been able to set up new customers. Since I have the XB1 married with each cable box that should suffice. I am just used to going to my Xfinity, HBO, Hulu and Netflix on the 360 rather than switching inputs. But with this new feature in a way it will still be just like it is now.

The 5.0 is here
post #9377 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Yeah... that dashboard video is just SEXY. Loving how quickly everything works! This is probably the best thing they've shown as far as how smooth the experience will be for the end user. I seriously can't believe how quickly it recognized them both and was swapping between apps. They've managed to make their console move between things as fast as they have with Windows Phone, and that's awesome to me.
onlysublime and mboojigga like this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #9378 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1mfgds/using_direct_tv_with_the_xbox_one/cc9kjvt

Just a reminder what Major Nelson stated about providers working with the One.
RKRocha and onlysublime like this.

The 5.0 is here
post #9379 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Now I get updates on my phone that I had a response to my post. Cool. Anyways I am going to upgrade to X1(Comcast) or wait on X2. I am about to move and right now nationwide X1 is in high demand so we haven't been able to set up new customers. Since I have the XB1 married with each cable box that should suffice. I am just used to going to my Xfinity, HBO, Hulu and Netflix on the 360 rather than switching inputs. But with this new feature in a way it will still be just like it is now.

The X2 is just a software update, so with an X1 a software update makes it an X2. It isn't new hardware.

post #9380 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #9381 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The X2 is just a software update, so with an X1 a software update makes it an X2. It isn't new hardware.

I know the difference I work for Comcast biggrin.gif. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was waiting on hardware between the two. It will be a hardware upgrade for me from my current setup. Still kinks are being worked out with X1.

The 5.0 is here
post #9382 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

AppleMark

That is pretty cool.
onlysublime and pennhunter like this.

The 5.0 is here
post #9383 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Great video, thanks for sharing! cool.gif

I have both consoles pre-ordered, and each are going in different rooms. The PS4 will go in my small gaming room with a 1080p 46" TV (alas using TV speakers), but the Xbox One is going in the main TV viewing area with the 60" TV and 7.1 surround sound. My fingers are crossed that the XB1 will interface with a Tivo on or off via passthrough with no problems.

I'll probably game on the PS4 most of the time, but I'm actually looking forward to the Xbox One more - especially after watching that video!

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #9384 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

post #9385 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Heads up people! Staring today you can get hands on time with Forza 5 and the Xbox One controller at any of the Microsoft Store locations! biggrin.gif
onlysublime and pennhunter like this.
post #9386 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Man that dashboard video is mighty impressive. That's such a step up from what we have now that I can definitely see what they're trying to do here and I can't believe I'm saying this but if there's no OTA solution I might get Uverse again just to use the Xbox Guide (well for ESPN stuff mostly). I was sold on the system before but this just confirms what I was hoping it would be like. Very cool.

post #9387 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1mfgds/using_direct_tv_with_the_xbox_one/cc9kjvt

Just a reminder what Major Nelson stated about providers working with the One.
Well crap. Maybe the HD DVD player will stay on the Receiver now and the Direct TV will go through the One. Oh the choices wink.gif To bad the Xbone didn't have two HDMI inputs wink.gif

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #9388 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Microsoft confirmed that it can stream audio and video from Windows computers. Do you think it is possible that one can stream things from windows media center, ie live tv from OTA? My plan originally is to simply run my HTPC through the HDMI input of Xbox one. Hopefully using ir blaster on the kinect to change channels, but if not use Hippo Remote on my Iphone. However, if Microsoft says you can stream stuff from your computer, wouldn't it be easy to make an app for WMC or a third part app for WMC. Is this a pipe dream? I have read many threads regarding the death of WMC and its extenders, but I have a little hope from the smidgen of info above. Hear's hoping.
post #9389 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I know here in Canada they still haven't announced what if any TV companies (e.g. Bell, Telus, Shaw, Rogers, etc) and their associated cable boxes will be compatible with the Xbox One and their features.

We also get about half of the apps that you crazy U.S. folk get (gosh darn it!!!)

Guess I will just have to keep waiting to hear. It's my opinion that if we get the TV functionality it will be after launch. Heck, it took FOREVER for us to get nexflix and some of the more enjoyable entertainment apps.

Outtie

I don't have alot of posts since I joined AVS Forums in 2004. I mainly read the information in threads as a source of research material. - quoted from The Outcast in April 2007.
post #9390 of 17038 Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone find any details on the one's compatibility with Dish's Hopper DVR or Joey's depending on where I hook it up it would be using one of these devices.
I've heard the hopper will pass thru video but the one will not control it, anyone get anything definite on compatibility?
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page