post #9991 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Really? The soundbar can't decode DTS? That is surprising. My first SOny soundbar decoded DTS, DD and 7.1 PCM. And my second SOny sound bar added the HD audio codecs to their decoding. And the SOny SOundbars I got were not expensive. Only between $200 and $250. I would have thought that all sound bars would have decoded at least DD and DTS. That is very surprising that is doesn't decode such an old legacy format.

Yeah, it's meant to decode just what a TV can output over optical - 2.0 PCM and DD 5.1. It's not a huge deal, because it's a stereo soundbar. But I noticed that on my 2.0 setup, when I let the TV decode the 5.1 and send stereo down to the receiver, it adds a nice virtual surround effect. When I go directly from the console to the receiver, or I set any console to output 2.0 directly, the sound is considerably more flat. So it can still be useful to send 5.1 down to a stereo device.

A minor issue for sure, the people who should really be outraged are the ones who rely on DD 5.1 for the headphones. I don't want to believe they left out DD 5.1 intentionally to screw everyone into upgrading, but it's still messed up. They're stuck with pure stereo until the X1 supports DD5.1 or they get a headset that supports DTS. 

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Looks like I may have lucked out for my friend and got a Day One Edition for him on Amazon. Their servers were getting hammered pretty good. Had troubles getting the orders to go through, but it looks like I got one. Have the order # and shippping selected and confirmation email. I think he owes me for this one.

I got one too... took awhile but it went through... I did have to bump the shipping to one day because the free 2 day w/Prime was showing 11/26 delivery. I probably could have left it and still would've gotten it on 11/22, but I didn't want to chance it.

I was also able to get one. Now the wait to see if it ships.

Sent from my Nexus 7

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9993 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

I got one too... took awhile but it went through... I did have to bump the shipping to one day because the free 2 day w/Prime was showing 11/26 delivery. I probably could have left it and still would've gotten it on 11/22, but I didn't want to chance it.
Yea i bumped to one day as well. I figured since he is paying for it why not wink.gif

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #9994 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post

I was also able to get one. Now the wait to see if it ships.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I got one too. It was strange though. It took a bunch of tries, and I eventually got an order to go through well after it said it wasn't available anymore by clicking on the link that normally shows other vendors, then selected Amazon. I received an order confirmation, so I guess I'm in. I'll wait for a shipping confirmation before I get too excited though.

So now I need to pick a game.... Thoughts?
post #9995 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeonunh View Post

I got one too. It was strange though. It took a bunch of tries, and I eventually got an order to go through well after it said it wasn't available anymore by clicking on the link that normally shows other vendors, then selected Amazon. I received an order confirmation, so I guess I'm in. I'll wait for a shipping confirmation before I get too excited though.

So now I need to pick a game.... Thoughts?
I think if we have order Numbers then we are good to go. As for game thoughts it all depends on what you are into it, but RYSE and Dead Rising 3 are on my must have list as is Forza 5. Killer Instinct I am getting as well.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #9996 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Forza 5 review up from IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/20/forza-motorsport-5-review

and from Eurogamer.net
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-forza-motorsport-5-review

EDIT No RYSE review yet. wondering if that is for tomorrow?

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #9997 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwhat View Post

Anybody second guessing their xbone launch decision? While the potential sounds awesome it just does not sound that ready now.

Not second guessing, but also not as excited today as I was this time last week.

I'm still enjoying the newness of the PS4, which has grown on me after the rough launch day. I was hoping the XB1 launch day would feel like a more complete TV/AV/Kinect/games experience, but now it sounds like it might have it's own set of frustrations. I'm debating whether to even bother with TV through the XB1 via Tivo - might be more trouble than it's worth.

btw, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a fantastic next-gen experience for those that like those type of games.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9998 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Not second guessing, but also not as excited today as I was this time last week.

I'm still enjoying the newness of the PS4, which has grown on me after the rough launch day. I was hoping the XB1 launch day would feel like a more complete TV/AV/Kinect/games experience, but now it sounds like it might have it's own set of frustrations. I'm debating whether to even bother with TV through the XB1 via Tivo - might be more trouble than it's worth.

btw, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a fantastic next-gen experience for those that like those type of games.

For me, it will still be worth running the tv through xb1 just for the fact that I can snap it/switch it with whatever I'm playing. I like being able to keep up with the hockey games while playing xbox. If It's easier to still use the remote to change the channels for now, so be it.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #9999 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

For me, it will still be worth running the tv through xb1 just for the fact that I can snap it/switch it with whatever I'm playing. I like being able to keep up with the hockey games while playing xbox. If It's easier to still use the remote to change the channels for now, so be it.

I guess for me it comes down to whether XB1 passes HDMI-IN while in standby. I've only heard speculation - no confirmation to either yes or no.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #10000 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It didn't take long for them to run out. I managed on my first try. I think it helped to have the one click option on. Until that very moment I was undecided if I was going next gen console. I have just finished (mostly) upgrading my computer for next gen gaming. I have been having trouble getting Assassins Creed: Black Flag to install and run thru that Uplay interface so that was my tipping point. Probably get an extra controller and a couple of games to start. Have wanted Ryse since I first heard about it but am unsure with what I read, although I mostly take those things with a grain of salt. I would get Forza but I want a wheel but may wait till I get a review of the Thrustmaster. $400 without the game is pretty steep so I may have to wait on racing games. Maybe get that Kinect game for the kids. And then there is the manner of headphones. I hate giving up the Astro's but I am so use to headphones for listening and chat, don't plan on going without.
post #10001 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This was also my experience with the PS4. I initially didn't care for it AT ALL, but slowly it has been worming it's way in with very subtle touches that make you think "Oh, that's kinda neat".

The PSN platform struck me as boring at first, but now has me thinking it's a refined minimalist experience.

I also was able to snag an Amazon pre-order this morning.

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
post #10002 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As the release day gets closer, I am regretting for not pre-ordering one. Now I may have to wait another month or two. frown.gif
post #10003 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Has anyone gotten a shipping confirmation from Amazon yet? I know it's early in the day, but I'm not going to relax until I get that email.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #10004 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post

Has anyone gotten a shipping confirmation from Amazon yet? I know it's early in the day, but I'm not going to relax until I get that email.

Not yet, on Amazon it still shows my order as Not Yet Shipped. Delivery date 11/22.

post #10005 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Forza 5 review up from IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/20/forza-motorsport-5-review

and from Eurogamer.net
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-forza-motorsport-5-review

EDIT No RYSE review yet. wondering if that is for tomorrow?

There is a RYSE review embargo until 1 day before launch so look for it tomorrow.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ryse-Reviews-Embargoed-Day-Xbox-One-Launches-60620.html
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
post #10006 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post

Not yet, on Amazon it still shows my order as Not Yet Shipped. Delivery date 11/22.

I have been watching it also.. I paid for the "one day shipping" hoping I might be lucky and get it Thursday.

Just learning..
post #10007 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So from all the reviews I have read, the xbox one doesnt output dolby digital via optical. This means 99% of people that game with headphones are out of luck , is this the case ? I have a pair of sennheiser pc360, with an astro 5.8 mixamp, from everything I have read, this wont work. Why would microsoft design the xbox one this way ? Is this patchable ? I cant imaging going back to gaming in 2.0 sound

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #10008 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Games finally have a defined standard (and it's the same as video, phew). From this day forth, the answer to the question "should I set it to RGB full or limited" has an unequivocal answer: limited. 

Microsoft apparently strongly suggests that here as well, though admittedly that could be to prevent confusion from people who don't know what it is:
Quote:
We highly recommend that you leave the color space setting set to TV (RGB Limited). RGB Limited is the broadcast standard for video content and is intended for use with televisions.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/adjust-display-settings

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #10009 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I was able to get a day one on amazon today, so now I just have to wait for the week to go by.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #10010 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Of course today they started the project on my condo building to replace all the siding. So now I'm not sure if UPS will drop off any packages with all the people walking around. Which will really suck if that's the case since I would not be able to get my XBOne until Monday since UPS does not have Saturday pickup from their facility.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #10011 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:

Yeah, the problem isn't with receivers, it's with other devices. Headset surround decoders like the mixamp don't support DTS. My TV can't decode DTS, nor can it decode 5.1 PCM. That really nice panasonic soundbar...also no DTS.

Presumably they're using DTS since it's 24bit, but come on....DD is an important standard they need to support.

So let me get this straight, if my soundbar decodes DTS, then I should be ok?

Everything sent from my xb1 will be encoded as DTS.... Even source audio from netflix that's in DD 5.1? And DD5.1 signals coming from my cable box?

If so that's, great, but I have a hard time believing the xb1 is changing DD5.1 signals to DTS then spitting that out via toslink

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #10012 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

...And DD5.1 signals coming from my cable box?...

No. Any input will be output in stereo.

XBOX
| PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #10013 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 415
My Xb1 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Cant wait to kill some zombies

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
post #10014 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

So let me get this straight, if my soundbar decodes DTS, then I should be ok?

Everything sent from my xb1 will be encoded as DTS.... Even source audio from netflix that's in DD 5.1? And DD5.1 signals coming from my cable box?

If so that's, great, but I have a hard time believing the xb1 is changing DD5.1 signals to DTS then spitting that out via toslink

Perhaps it can bitstream anything that's already encoded in dd5.1, but it apparently can't encode it in real time. Maybe it can re-encode it in DTS 5.1...I guess we'll find out soon. This is probably where that rumored downgrade from 5.1 to 2.0 for cable sources comes from.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #10015 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Someone posted a thread over at Astro forums about the DTS only optical output http://forums.astrogaming.com/showthread.php?44178-Astro-A40-and-Xbox-One

One of the Astro team members responded saying he would have them look into it.

Really sucks if I can't sound whore Ghosts on Xbone in surround sound with mixamp 2013 and PC360's, lol.

Xbox Live/PSN: bucwylde23

Daekwan: What makes a grown man want to be a troll like this?

coyote_5:

post #10016 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
My Xbox that is coming from the Microsoft store online is currently in transit per UPS. It left facility and is in Ontario, CA. Sad part is that it is only a 6 hour drive to get here, but will likely take 2 days overall.tongue.gif

My other Xbox that is coming from Amazon does not have any update. My suspicion is that it will be delivered same day as there is a large distribution center in Buckeye, AZ. That last time I got something that was launch day delivery, that is what happened. No shipping info till day of release, then in a span of a couple of hours, shipping notification and then delivery.

I guess its time to pick up some games, I think I will get COD, and Battlefield from Gamestop (I have my kids gift cards to use, lol). I think currently the best deals for launch games will be TrU. Given that dead rising is getting some decent reviews, I think I will get Ryse, Forza, Dead Rising to get the $50 gift card. I suspect that there will be some good deals come Black Friday, but I doubt any of these games will be more than $10 off anyways (unless Amazon does a buy 2 get 1 deal like the PS4 people got).

I was one of the lucky ones and got the game code that will unlock all characters for Killer Instinct.

Can't wait till Friday (I do have to work all day, but this works out perfectly as UPS usually delivers in the afternoon anyways).smile.gif

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #10017 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 11
I have one listed for sale on AVS if anyone is interested.

sCiEnt
post #10018 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone seen/done the current promo at Best Buy by trading in any working 360/PS3 for a $100 gift card? I got the email yesterday, and I see it on Joystiq. I went through their trade-in calculator, and it says like $10, but apparently through Saturday that doesn't apply; as long as it doesn't have a broken factory seal, is cracked or has water damage.

I originally planned on keeping my 360 along with a few games, if for nothing else to maybe use it as a streaming-only device, but I know me; I'm probably never going to turn it on again.

Opinions?

Xbox Live:
 | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID:
| Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #10019 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:

Perhaps it can bitstream anything that's already encoded in dd5.1, but it apparently can't encode it in real time. Maybe it can re-encode it in DTS 5.1...I guess we'll find out soon. This is probably where that rumored downgrade from 5.1 to 2.0 for cable sources comes from.

What a cluster****, the XB1 supoport site says something completely different:

http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/system/configure-audio-settings#784dc67ff1da4e9990028fc649c48b4c

Select either HDMI audio or Optical audio, and then select the digital input used by your audio system:

HDMI audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
5.1 uncompressed
7.1 uncompressed

Optical audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
5.1 compressed
7.1 uncompressed

Optical audio options

Off
Stereo uncompressed
5.1 compressed

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #10020 of 17036 Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 160
It sounds like they're just locking down the basics on the support site, and any current beta options might not be mentioned there? Who knows. Also, considering that optical audio doesn't support 7.1 LPCM, they probably want to remove that first erroneous entry for it there. biggrin.gif

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page