The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 367 - AVS Forum
First ... 365  366  367 368  369  ... Last
Xbox Area > The Official Xbox One thread...
jhoff80's Avatar jhoff80 10:56 AM 11-26-2013
Wow, I can't believe they got rid of (or forgot) the system-wide controls profiles. I always set the Y-axis on look to be inverted, and it was great to never have to change that on the 360. It knew when I was logged in that all games needed to do that.

The One goes back to per-game controls, meaning I have to change the settings on every game I want to run. If I wanted that, I'd play games on the PC :P (which I still plan on doing anyway).

Also, there's a calibration tool built in to the system dashboard. So it's reasonable to expect game developers to use that as a baseline, right? So how come when I load Dead Rising 3, the first thing it does is a gamma pattern, and the default is two clicks too low? You'd think that they'd default to what makes it work for the people who calibrated via the dashboard, wouldn't you?

Anyway, the OS really does feel like the future in many ways. They need to put out another update fast though, because the future is currently really laggy. :P

One last omission I don't quite understand... Why exactly can't the system learn my IR codes if my receiver isn't in their database? It makes the Xbox On function useless for me. (Well that, and the fact that Xbox On also confuses my Harmony).

Beeron's Avatar Beeron 11:09 AM 11-26-2013
Just a tip for those having trouble with the system not finding your receiver, try typing in the complete model name. At first when I was setting everything up, it asked for my receiver name and to just enter the first few letters (I have a Denon AvR 2112CI). I entered "Denon" and there were tons of models that the Xbox found, but none that were my exact model. On a whim, I decided to try and enter the entire model name, numbers and all, and it immediately showed up. Everything is working perfectly.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:12 AM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Mine is the opposite...unless I scream at it, it never does what I want it to. After using it for a few days I've just come to accept that the kinect detracts more from my experience than enriches it. So right now I'm trying to pawn off that piece of junk on eBay, if I can get a solid $200 for it I'll be perfectly happy with my $300 kinect-less Xbox one, which is what I consider the base console to be worth. Any less than that and I'll probably just return it and cross my fingers for a kinect free bundle in the future.

Did you set up Kinect with the volume level on the receiver way up? During the setup process the volume needs to be much lounder than normal. I know with my XBOne, once the Kinect was setup i can have the volume on the receiver up and in a normal voice it always responds. And of course at normal volume i tworks great too. So far my Kinect has been almost flawless in responding to my commands. Kinect makes the system so much better.
Hksvr4's Avatar Hksvr4 11:14 AM 11-26-2013
Ditto with having kids and don't know where the remote is.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:14 AM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I hold the X button down on the controller and select console off. It always turns back on with a voice command no problem.

Isn't that because in the setting menu you told it to do that? I don't know the one time I turned mine off from the console itself, the console was off completely.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 11:17 AM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Did you set up Kinect with the volume level on the receiver way up? During the setup process the volume needs to be much lounder than normal. I know with my XBOne, once the Kinect was setup i can have the volume on the receiver up and in a normal voice it always responds. And of course at normal volume i tworks great too. So far my Kinect has been almost flawless in responding to my commands. Kinect makes the system so much better.

Yeah, so loud it told me it was too loud.
Symtex's Avatar Symtex 11:20 AM 11-26-2013
and you went to Settings --> Power and enable all 3 options ?
Bailey151's Avatar Bailey151 11:34 AM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Just got back from Best Buy with Forza and Lego:Marvel, I'd be up for some party racing. I just can't play Ghosts or BF4 until they get the XIM up and running wink.gif
Glad to hear I ain't the only one smile.gif
bucwylde23's Avatar bucwylde23 11:48 AM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Just got back from Best Buy with Forza and Lego:Marvel, I'd be up for some party racing. I just can't play Ghosts or BF4 until they get the XIM up and running wink.gif

Myst and Joker, tag team cheaters.
RafaelSmith's Avatar RafaelSmith 11:55 AM 11-26-2013
So what interesting "things" has your Kinect identified as "GUEST">

So far for me:

-Pillow on sofa - YES
-Lamp shade on side table - YES
-Light colored cat - YES
-Dark colored cat - NO
-Chocolate Lab - NO
-Camera Tri-Pod - YES
Hksvr4's Avatar Hksvr4 12:03 PM 11-26-2013
I also noticed, by screamning at it doesn't make it any better. If it doesn't hear you, it will never hear you no matter how loud you get.
sfumat0's Avatar sfumat0 12:04 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:

Yeah, so loud it told me it was too loud.

Sometimes it takes a couple trys,  take your time setting  it up.   Mine works great, first couple days it was hit or miss, now I walk about the LR and Kitchen area shouting out Watch Tv, On, Off, Go to "game", SKYPE, Bing search...its great.

I think when people get used to it, especially the Mom's and wives its going to be a game changer in the living room.  Works way better than my Smart TV voice activated features.

mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 12:09 PM 11-26-2013
Tri-colored Beagle - Yes
Tri-colored Basset Hound - Yes
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 12:11 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfumat0 View Post

Sometimes it takes a couple trys,  take your time setting  it up.   Mine works great, first couple days it was hit or miss, now I walk about the LR and Kitchen area shouting out Watch Tv, On, Off, Go to "game", SKYPE, Bing search...its great.

I think when people get used to it, especially the Mom's and wives its going to be a game changer in the living room.  Works way better than my Smart TV voice activated features.

It could be my bastardized southern accent that's the problem. Will have to get my wife with her "perfect" Connecticut enunciation to try.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 12:22 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfumat0 View Post

Even if it worked 100% of the time, I still don't think I'd ever want to use it. I don't have cable, I barely even watch Netflix in my man cave. For me it's purely a gaming device, so I already have a controller in my hand. There's nothing voice commands can do for me that a few clicks over to the pins can't.

I know my wife, and were I ever to bring that thing up to the living room and run my TV through it, the first time she spoke a command and it didn't work would be the last time she'd ever try it. Which is probably for the better, because I don't want her hogging my Xbox. smile.gif
RafaelSmith's Avatar RafaelSmith 12:28 PM 11-26-2013
Question about Kinect placement. I understand about min/max height and distances from the viewing area but does anyone know if relation to top of TV matters?

Way my setup is I have a shelf over the TV where I put the Kinect but it hangs out a bit from the TV

Crappy diagram to illustrate:

________K|
|
|
|
|.....................................................................>P
|
|
TV

Forgot exact measurements but ide say about 4-5inches.
sfumat0's Avatar sfumat0 12:36 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

It could be my bastardized southern accent that's the problem. Will have to get my wife with her "perfect" Connecticut enunciation to try.

Ha!

For me it was all about setting it up properly and then learning NOT to shout at it or speak in a loud voice.  I think maybe it thinks LOUD noises are part of the game or tv and "cancels" it.  Try whispering, it blew me away when it heard it.

Try running a vacuum in the background and chatting with a friend, ask your friend if he hears the vacuum, he wont.

Proper set up, and speak in a normal voice.

FourDoor's Avatar FourDoor 12:40 PM 11-26-2013
OK I figured I would share my experience with the XBOX One, Kinect, DirecTV Box, and Harmony One remote in my living room setup after trying to figure out how to best integrate the XBOX One for daily use.

EQUIPMENT:
Sharp LCD
Onkyo AVR
DirecTV HD-DVR
XBOX One
Logitech Harmony One
Apple TV/WD TV/PS3

CONNECTIONS:
DirecTV -> HDMI Splitter -> XBOX One -> AVR -> TV
DirecTV -> HDMI Splitter -> AVR -> TV
Other devices go straight to the AVR then the TV.

HARMONY REMOTE ACTIVITIES:
Watch DTV – This is the traditional method just in case I ever want to run things without the XBOX. It turns on the DTV box, AVR, and TV. All functions are controlled by the Harmony remote and all buttons on the harmony remote correlate to the DirecTV box and AVR for volume.
XBOX One – This activity turns on the XBOX, DTV box, AVR, and TV. All buttons on the remote are mapped to the XBOX One buttons and AVR for volume.
XBOX DTV – This activity turns on the XBOX, DTV box, AVR, and TV. All buttons on the remote are mapped to the DirecTV box and AVR for volume.

XBOX ONE CONFIG:
Power control of XBOX, TV, DirecTV, and AVR

My goal was to have the XBOX One voice commands and Harmony One remote work with each other so that I can voice command DirecTV but still have access to my recorded shows. Unfortunately I would say it’s only about 75% possible at this point.

What I am able to do is come in the room and say “XBOX On” and it turns on the XBOX, DirecTV, AVR, and TV. After that if DirecTV was the last thing I was doing, it would already show DirecTV in full screen. If not, “XBOX Watch TV” would need to be said. (Then what I would do if it was not already done from the previous session was to press the “XBOX DTV” activity on the remote and cover up the IR blaster as to not screw up the power settings.) So from there my remote, the experience is 100% the same as if the XBOX One was not even powered on. I can record, bring up my recordings, buffer 2 live channels at once, etc all from the remote. If for some reason I need to do any XBOX One functions outside of watching DirecTV, everything is still available via Kinect voice command. I can also still say “XBOX Home”. "XBOX PLAY _____", or “XBOX Watch Netflix” if I don’t want to use the remote. From there I can just simply change the activity on the Harmony remote from XBOX DTV to XBOX One and the remote’s button functions are transferred over to the XBOX One without any of the devices getting disturbed because the Harmony remotes already knows that all the devices are on. The key here for me is that I don't use the power off buttons on the Harmony Remote and let the XBOX One Control it for me.

IN SUMMARY MY CURRENT EXPERIENCE IS:
Walk in the room and say "XBOX ON"
If needed, say "XBOX WATCH TV"
Pick up remote and set to XBOX DTV if it is not already set to it (remember I am not powering off the system anymore via the Harmony Remote)
Use the remote to bring up recorded programs and choose what to play.
During playback I have the option of using the remote or using the XBOX voice commands such as "XBOX PAUSE"
When watching Live TV, I actually have been using the XBOX Voice commands like "WATCH NBA TV" and don't particularly use the remote
When I'm done watching, I just say XBOX TURN OFF (the harmony remote still stays in the XBOX DTV activity waiting for me to come back and say XBOX ON again)

WHAT STILL NEEDS WORK:
Logitech/MS needs a way to send distinct IR codes to launch the TV app via remote
Cable/SAT DVR Control functionality is needed via the TV App
Delays/power on sequences are needed from the XBOX (My DTV Box still sometimes shows as no signal after initial power up so I need to power cycle the DTV box for the XBOX to recognize it)
Logitech needs to let you add devices to activities without power on/off settings so it doesn't screw up the XBOX One. I don't see this hurting your other activities since most devices have distinct On and Off codes.
-- So for the XBOX One if I was in my XBOX DTV Activity, it would just power off the XBOX only via the remote. Then the XBOX One would turn off the TV, AVR, and DTV. Cumbersome but at least I can use the power on/off
Doubt it will ever happen but XBOX hopefully takes Kinect to the next level and lets you customize things such as AVR and TV input settings so that you can migrate activities into the XBOX One. The ecosystem is already there with Kinect for voice commands and Smart Glass for physical remotes so hopefully MS tries to take on Logitech in the future.
c.kingsley's Avatar c.kingsley 12:40 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

Did you run the calibration with the sound at a very loud volume ? You need to crank up the sound until the kinect calibration tells you its too loud. than bring it down a notch. Run through the calibration. Its filter any environment audio and it works for me at 99.9% of the time. That's coming from a french canadian with an accent.
This is so true. I was having some voice recognition issues and I re-ran my calibration last night by turning it up very loud and then down 1 notch at a time until it stopped saying, "Too loud, turn down the volume." Now it can pick up my commands with a hushed voice, just above a whisper.
Scott_lb's Avatar Scott_lb 12:43 PM 11-26-2013
Question based upon a different thread: Can the Xbox One output 1080p blu-ray or only 720p? My understanding is that it can do 1080p but could be wrong. No big deal as I have a dedicated player anyway but I'm curious...
c.kingsley's Avatar c.kingsley 12:44 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:

Even if it worked 100% of the time, I still don't think I'd ever want to use it. I don't have cable, I barely even watch Netflix in my man cave. For me it's purely a gaming device, so I already have a controller in my hand. There's nothing voice commands can do for me that a few clicks over to the pins can't.

I know my wife, and were I ever to bring that thing up to the living room and run my TV through it, the first time she spoke a command and it didn't work would be the last time she'd ever try it. Which is probably for the better, because I don't want her hogging my Xbox. smile.gif
Navigation with voice commands is significantly faster and more efficient, especially if you have to dive through several menus. And it is close to 100% accurate. Voice commands augment the controller, they don't totally replace it -- same as speech to text on a cell phone. Sure, I can text with my thumbs while driving but I can do it a lot safer and more efficiently with my voice.
ctiq21's Avatar ctiq21 12:44 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

Question based upon a different thread: Can the Xbox One output 1080p blu-ray or only 720p? My understanding is that it can do 1080p but could be wrong. No big deal as I have a dedicated player anyway but I'm curious...

1080p
spid's Avatar spid 01:28 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Wow, I can't believe they got rid of (or forgot) the system-wide controls profiles. I always set the Y-axis on look to be inverted, and it was great to never have to change that on the 360. It knew when I was logged in that all games needed to do that.

The One goes back to per-game controls, meaning I have to change the settings on every game I want to run. If I wanted that, I'd play games on the PC :P (which I still plan on doing anyway).

Also, there's a calibration tool built in to the system dashboard. So it's reasonable to expect game developers to use that as a baseline, right? So how come when I load Dead Rising 3, the first thing it does is a gamma pattern, and the default is two clicks too low? You'd think that they'd default to what makes it work for the people who calibrated via the dashboard, wouldn't you?

Anyway, the OS really does feel like the future in many ways. They need to put out another update fast though, because the future is currently really laggy. :P

One last omission I don't quite understand... Why exactly can't the system learn my IR codes if my receiver isn't in their database? It makes the Xbox On function useless for me. (Well that, and the fact that Xbox On also confuses my Harmony).

While I tend to agree the universal controls does seem to be an omission I think asking the Microsoft to set up a IR code learning system at launch is a bit much. I think in a year a two a request like that might be more reasonable.
Biggrich76's Avatar Biggrich76 01:43 PM 11-26-2013
More headset mods popping up around the net. It's a shame that M$ chose to wait until Q1 2014 to release an official adapter. Both from a customer service perspective, and a monetary one.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Xbox-One-25mm-Headset-Adapter/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Xbob-360-to-Xbox-One-Headset-DIY-Conversion-Turtle/
RafaelSmith's Avatar RafaelSmith 01:49 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Navigation with voice commands is significantly faster and more efficient, especially if you have to dive through several menus. And it is close to 100% accurate. Voice commands augment the controller, they don't totally replace it -- same as speech to text on a cell phone. Sure, I can text with my thumbs while driving but I can do it a lot safer and more efficiently with my voice.

Some things are somewhat faster via voice but overall I get things done much quicker using controller or remote.

XBOX Watch TV, XBOX GO HOME.....are pretty cool and quick. Thou hitting that XBOX button on the Remote is just as quick and works everytime.

XBOX Goto Forza Motorsports 5........umm assuming it understands me is not a quick as with controller.
XBOX OneGuide ...not as quick as hitting that guide button on remote.

XBOX Watch ESPN.....again if it understands me the first time is quicker than navigating with remote.

And I cannot recall a single time my cell phone got what I was trying to "text" via speech correct.
jhoff80's Avatar jhoff80 02:12 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

While I tend to agree the universal controls does seem to be an omission I think asking the Microsoft to set up a IR code learning system at launch is a bit much. I think in a year a two a request like that might be more reasonable.

I'm not really asking for anything complicated though. All I want it to learn is the power button and volume controls on my receiver, which it doesn't recognize at all. Is it really that difficult for a 500GB HDD to store 3 IR commands? wink.gif
natrone06's Avatar natrone06 02:33 PM 11-26-2013
I'm surprised how well the voice commands work. I live in a small apt and from any spot in my entire apt I can get the xbox to do what I want with voice. Last night I was switching from the 49ers game and nba 2k14 using voice commands with no problem. The bing search is a revelation for my media habits too. It's easy for my gf to use as well. Just a very cool easy experience.
RafaelSmith's Avatar RafaelSmith 02:43 PM 11-26-2013
I guess I need to redo Kinect setup cause my voice stuff is not working anywhere near a good as others here are claiming. Hand gestures work great......Visual ID for login works great for all the people ive set it up for. Just the voice command stuff is hit or miss.
johnbe's Avatar johnbe 03:22 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post

I just checked my email and they just refunded me the 3 cents too. Also got two emails about Ryse. One where I had asked for the $10 price difference was approved. Then a bit later got another saying that I also got $11.65 back for Ryse due to price matching. Will be interesting to see if both go thru or just the $11.65. If by some chance they do make the error I will call and have it changed. They have always given me very good service and I am perfectly happy with the price match by itself.

Just checked and they gave me 2 discounts on Ryse. So it was little under $40 or so with tax. The worker will probably have a heart attack with I tell them I want to give them some money back. smile.gif Maybe I should keep it and make his or hers life easier. biggrin.gif Could set up a poll and go by majority decision. I think I know how that would go. This will probably be interesting.
rightintel's Avatar rightintel 03:41 PM 11-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

Seeing the Harmony Remote talk, was this posted already?

http://blog.logitech.com/2013/11/22/xbox-one-coming-to-a-harmony-remote-near-you/

Now onto what you’re really wondering…is this compatible with my Harmony remote? YES! We’ve worked hard with Microsoft to make sure your Harmony remote would be compatible on day one. Myharmony.com is now updated to provide support for this new console, so you can control Xbox One and other home entertainment devices with your current Harmony remote. That’s what we call ultimate convenience.

Visit myharmony.com to add the Xbox One to your Logitech Harmony remote today.

Yeah, I saw that. Coulda fooled me if they worked w/ MS. In their database the only thing I could find was "Gaming console w/ DVD", while Xbox 360 was there.
Tags: Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
First ... 365  366  367 368  369  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop