post #11071 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

I do not understand why people are upset at Microsoft for not providing a 3rd party adaptors. If the people at Turtle Beach etc. were motivated to provide headset compatibility at the time of Xbox launch, they would have contacted Microsoft and obtained the appropriate information to make adaptors available. Sure they probably would have had to pay some licensing fee, but that is the cost of doing business. If anything, people should be upset at Turtle beach etc for being too cheap and waiting for the console to be released and then providing adaptors.

With regards to numbers, barely 1 million people have Xbox 1's and probably only a small percentage insist on using headphones. Too me why spend money on an adaptor/interface for such a small number initially. The adaptors will come when there is critical mass in numbers, and when they have had enough time to iron out any kinks.

You could not be any more misinformed on the topic. wow.

Xbox Live/PSN: bucwylde23

Daekwan: What makes a grown man want to be a troll like this?

coyote_5:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

What headset issue ?

You cannot use a headset if you want to be able to chat at the same time. Also, heasets don't output surround so it isn't as good of quality as it is on 360.

Xbox Live/PSN: bucwylde23

Daekwan: What makes a grown man want to be a troll like this?

coyote_5:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11073 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

What headset issue ?

Xbox one currently doesnt output dolby digital 5.1 via optical, which means nearly every person that games with headphones, are stuck with stereo sound, which sucks. Ms has apoligized, and said this will be a feature they add in the future. Who know when that may actually be ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #11074 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Xbox one currently doesnt output dolby digital 5.1 via optical, which means nearly every person that games with headphones, are stuck with stereo sound, which sucks. Ms has apoligized, and said this will be a feature they add in the future. Who know when that may actually be ?

oh right. yeah I guess it normal at launch to had these type of issue. Either way, the PS4 has its problem too. I tried an 200$ Turtle beach headset via USB and Turtlebeach itself replied to me : don't use the USB, it has issue. They indicated me I need to connected directly to the controller which defeat the purpose of having an usb headset. So there you have it. The grass is always greener on the other side.
post #11075 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

oh right. yeah I guess it normal at launch to had these type of issue. Either way, the PS4 has its problem too. I tried an 200$ Turtle beach headset via USB and Turtlebeach itself replied to me : don't use the USB, it has issue. They indicated me I need to connected directly to the controller which defeat the purpose of having an usb headset. So there you have it. The grass is always greener on the other side.

No reason to use a usb connection. I just plug optical cable into my astro wireless 5.8, use a headset buddy, and a chat cable to ps4 controller.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #11076 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:

why do people think that if they can point out that PS4/sony did/didn't do something it makes it OK? it is like slapping my wife around but point out to her that the guy up the street beats up his wife with a baseball bat, then tell her she should be thankful...
darthrsg likes this.
post #11077 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

No reason to use a usb connection. I just plug optical cable into my astro wireless 5.8, use a headset buddy, and a chat cable to ps4 controller.

I guess that particular headset had all the feature of controlling the sound via this module. I could mix the in-game audio and chat to different level. none of that worked. I was thinking of going the Astro headset next time around. I've been burn by turtlebeach.
post #11078 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM
JSY

Liked: 28
Quote:

Right now, the X1 only supports Miracast "Playto" from the PC. It not fully DLNA supported like the X360. I guess Microsoft is still working on that. So, in theory, it should work with almost anything as long as you trigger it from the PC.

Ahh, thank you very much. That's cool - I really thought I was out of my mind not able to find it! Thanks for the heads up!
post #11079 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

What percentage of gamers do you imagine use fancy headsets? We all tend to imagine that our personal problems are much more important than they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

Headphones? Bet that's an issue for .1% or so and it is coming.

Turtle Beach is the leader in the $342 million gaming headset market in the U.S., according to market-research firm NPD Group. In relation to all video game accessories, headsets accounted for 13 percent of the $2.7 billion video game accessories market in the U.S. in 2011, according to NPD.

You guys can continue to believe that headsets are a niche market for a small minority of gamers. The numbers quoted are from 2011 so they've only increases since then, and not to mention they quoted TB as having $300million in sales, so I find it hard to believe that all other headsets only accounted for $42million but let's assume that's correct. Even after a lot of fuzzy math, I can come up with conservative estimates in the 800,000 range for number of headsets purchased in 2011 for Xbox alone (even though the number is probably closer to 1 million).

Here's my main issue with Microsoft not releasing an adapter at launch;

There is no proprietary connection, as evidenced by the people hacking open the new chat cable and splicing it with their existing setups. It's just a standard 4-pole wire, there is no special authentication or encryption happening to allow chat to travel across the cable. This means manufacturing costs to produce an adapter would be extremely low. So why even change it? You can get the same exact sound from a standard 2.5mm cable that was present on last gen. The only answer I can come up with is to force people into purchasing an adapter. So if your main goal is to force users into buying a proprietary adapter, why not make it available at launch before some 3rd parties (legit or not) start making their own cables?

Yes, it affects me personally and the majority of people on my friends list. However, most of us are handy enough to make our own cables so I'm not complaining. It just doesn't make any good business sense from Microsoft's perspective.

Edit: I found this tidbit for Astro for Q4 2012 - The increase in North America net sales was primarily driven by increased Astro Gaming sales of $13.6 million.

Well, if 79.4 million 360's have been sold as Michael posted, at 5% you still have close to 4 million in need of the stupid adapter?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #11080 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Well, if 79.4 million 360's have been sold as Michael posted, at 5% you still have close to 4 million in need of the stupid adapter?

360s don't need an adapter, only the XB one.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #11081 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

So why even change it? You can get the same exact sound from a standard 2.5mm cable that was present on last gen. The only answer I can come up with is to force people into purchasing an adapter.

Or they wanted to force us to use Kinect...at least to start.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #11082 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Or they wanted to force us to use Kinect...at least to start.

I've got a feeling there will be a few things "forced" this go around. For better or worse. I keep coming back to the slow boiling of frogs analogy.

Steam: Guts
post #11083 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Right now, the X1 only supports Miracast "Playto" from the PC. It not fully DLNA supported like the X360. I guess Microsoft is still working on that. So, in theory, it should work with almost anything as long as you trigger it from the PC.

You're confusing two different things. "Play To" is still a type of DLNA connection. The One supports Play To from any DLNA device... so you can stream from the device to the One, but the connection starts on the other device. The one doesn't support a DLNA/UPnP Media Server to browse the content from the server on the One and play it that way.

Miracast is something entirely different (that the One doesn't support either). Miracast would lets you connect to a wireless display, generally mirroring what's on your device on the receiver (though some devices, such as Windows 8.1 devices, allow you to extend your display and just treat it as a second monitor). I do hope that the One adds Miracast, but it currently isn't there.
JSY likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #11084 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

You're confusing two different things. "Play To" is still a type of DLNA connection. The One supports Play To from any DLNA device... so you can stream from the device to the One, but the connection starts on the other device. The one doesn't support a DLNA/UPnP Media Server to browse the content from the server on the One and play it that way.

Miracast is something entirely different (that the One doesn't support either). Miracast would lets you connect to a wireless display, generally mirroring what's on your device on the receiver (though some devices, such as Windows 8.1 devices, allow you to extend your display and just treat it as a second monitor). I do hope that the One adds Miracast, but it currently isn't there.

I was pretty sure Miracast was supported on the X1. I guess I was wrong. sorry for that. Yes you are right. There is no DLNA Client on the device itself. It has to be initiated by the "Server" (PC, tablet or laptop)
post #11085 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Anyone have any experience/advice for charging stations for the XBOX ONE rechargeable batteries. I have two controllers and two charge-n-play but would much rather have a station or somethign I could just put the batteries in to recharge instead of using the USB cable with the charge-n-play kit.

I really liked the microsoft Charging Station for the 360. Anything like that?
post #11086 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13654 View Post

Anyone play with the Netflix app yet? I've noticed that the picture seems off. Almost looks like it's dropping frames as motion almost looks like it has a strobe effect at times. I have my One wired into the same switch that was used for 360 and PS3 were and they never had that problem. I also picked up a PS4 on Sunday, which is wired into the same switch as the One, and it doesn't have the issue with Netflix either, so I know that it is the One's app. I would just use the PS4 for Netflix and not worry about it, but without Harmony support the PS4 as a media player doesn't do me much good right now.

Yeah, I'm having that problem too. Last night was fine, but it happened before and It's happening again as I'm watching it now. I've tried different settings on the One, but can't get it to go away.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #11087 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
post #11088 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:

obviously the guy who wrote this hasn't been around females much. all any female would read was "It will help us get fit" = so you think i am fat!!!
RobPT45 and freemeat like this.
post #11089 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Even if it worked 100% of the time, I still don't think I'd ever want to use it. I don't have cable, I barely even watch Netflix in my man cave. For me it's purely a gaming device, so I already have a controller in my hand. There's nothing voice commands can do for me that a few clicks over to the pins can't.

I know my wife, and were I ever to bring that thing up to the living room and run my TV through it, the first time she spoke a command and it didn't work would be the last time she'd ever try it. Which is probably for the better, because I don't want her hogging my Xbox. smile.gif
From the reading I have been doing this point may push me towards PS4. I love my 360 and gaming with the avs crew when possible but I really do not want something to be controlling all my devices and always be turned on. I want a gaming console and nothing more. My Galaxy S4 WatchOn app or even panasonic bluray player and TV negate the need for a universal remote and while I can see the convenience of voice commands it's just not important to me. I play COD and sometimes Halo, I'd like to check out Titanfall but $500 is a lot to plop down for a loads of unused features and a couple games a year. I'll wait probably until spring when the dust and FOTM has settled.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #11090 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson02 View Post

I used a simple example, but it would obviously need to be a bit more complex from the programming side. In your example, the system could know that a game should always override an application. Something like this:

• User says "Go to Halo"
  • Xbox checks to see if there are any Halo applications
  • If there are multiple applications, check to see the type of application
  • If there is a single game application named Halo, open that application
  • If there are multiple game applications named Halo, open the most recently published
  • If there are no game applications named Halo, open the most recently published other application type

This is a pretty simple example and as more games and applications come out, it would become more complex. But I think they should be able to develop a logical way for the system to determine which application the user is trying to open.

As you say it would be more complex which was the general thing I was pointing to things that sound "simple' have tendency to get a lot more complex especially when you have to scale them up for thousands of possible items you have to program for. You can either force people to spell out what they want to say or you put a phrase catch page that would force the user to choose from a number of choices.
post #11091 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

why do people think that if they can point out that PS4/sony did/didn't do something it makes it OK? it is like slapping my wife around but point out to her that the guy up the street beats up his wife with a baseball bat, then tell her she should be thankful...
Maybe people just get tired of others always complaining about small things that MS has said they will work on. Also, if the competition also doesn't do something, I think it is perfectly fine to mention it.
pennhunter likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #11092 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

From the reading I have been doing this point may push me towards PS4. I love my 360 and gaming with the avs crew when possible but I really do not want something to be controlling all my devices and always be turned on. I want a gaming console and nothing more. My Galaxy S4 WatchOn app or even panasonic bluray player and TV negate the need for a universal remote and while I can see the convenience of voice commands it's just not important to me. I play COD and sometimes Halo, I'd like to check out Titanfall but $500 is a lot to plop down for a loads of unused features and a couple games a year. I'll wait probably until spring when the dust and FOTM has settled.

Like you I don't really care about the Xbox One being the control center. Xbox, make me a sandwich lol. I'm all about gaming. While the PS4 is marketed as "gaming first" I don't think that gaming on the One will be a slouch in that regard. I believe the One will function similar to the 360 if you don't use Kinect and leave the console off. That's what I'll probably do. I think I'll hook up the Kinect at first to try it out and make sure everything is working properly. While some here have reported how cool the Kinect is I've read about and seen many people's frustration with using it.

Time will tell if the PS4 turns out to be a better experience, particularly graphically, when it comes to cross-platform games. I wonder if that turns out to be the case if the AVS guys would jump over to PS4 for online play. I plan on getting one, but not until Holiday 2014 or early 2015. Not sure if a price cut will occur then - reports seem to indicate that due to a strong debut price cuts may not come for 18-20 months - but there's still possibility of a Holiday bundle.

As far as Titanfall, it is coming to the 360 as well as PC. Considering that it is rendered in 720p on the One, graphically I don't think you'd be missing out too much.
post #11093 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Because they were going to release late 2014 and Sony decided to release in 2013 so MS said Holy @#, um throw what we got together and get it out now..

So they said, "Well, we had everything about this mammoth project mapped out for completion in 18 months but it looks like we're going to have to do it in 6 months instead". For the 100th time, that's just not possible.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #11094 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having issue with the Xbox one headset. I've tried everything and cannot try another headset since they are not available yet. I can be heard by people in chat, however I can't hear any voices in the earpiece. If unplugged, I can hear through Kinect. I turn the volume all the way up on the headset and then hear two beeps - nothing else. I've unplugged it more times than I care to say.

Real silly thing, but not sure if this is a software issue or I need a new headset. I've tried sound/chat settings and router NAT is open. Next thing is to punt them across the room..

XBOX GT: jerz08
PSN:jerzey22
post #11095 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz22 View Post

I'm having issue with the Xbox one headset. I've tried everything and cannot try another headset since they are not available yet. I can be heard by people in chat, however I can't hear any voices in the earpiece. If unplugged, I can hear through Kinect. I turn the volume all the way up on the headset and then hear two beeps - nothing else. I've unplugged it more times than I care to say.

Real silly thing, but not sure if this is a software issue or I need a new headset. I've tried sound/chat settings and router NAT is open. Next thing is to punt them across the room..
If you unplug the headset, will the voice come through your speakers?
post #11096 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

SuperHD is supposed to be available to all client but I noticed too that Netflix client on PS4 has superior video quality and superior interface.

If you play "Example Short 23.976", a test clip with bit-rate/resolution information burned into all of its constituent video encodes, you should see it get to the 4300- and 5800 Kbps "Super HD" encodes (if there's sufficient bandwidth on your connections to Netflix's servers). I can't speak for whether it looks better when played on the PS4, but the Xbox One's Netflix player does play "Super HD".

Which interface is superior is a matter of taste. From images I've seen posted, the PS4's interface is nearly identical to the "New Netflix Experience" one which is on my Roku 3, TiVo Roamio, PS3 and Xbox 360; I was actually surprised to see the Xbox One interface be anything different. I've seen posts in other threads by people who consider the Netflix UI on the Xbox One to be superior. Personally I don't see it as being an improvement and would prefer the one on the PS4 and most other platforms just for consistencies' sake.

"
" -- hookbill
post #11097 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I prefer the interface on the X1 over the one on my Oppo 105. The last time I used Netflix on the 360 was sometime in the spring and I can't really remember it well.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #11098 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

If you unplug the headset, will the voice come through your speakers?

Whoops - yes through the speakers

XBOX GT: jerz08
PSN:jerzey22
post #11099 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Anyone have any experience/advice for charging stations for the XBOX ONE rechargeable batteries. I have two controllers and two charge-n-play but would much rather have a station or somethign I could just put the batteries in to recharge instead of using the USB cable with the charge-n-play kit.

I really liked the microsoft Charging Station for the 360. Anything like that?

The Nyko charging station works great. And it includes two NiMH batteries. It looked the best out of the three I looked at. And once I got it I was definitely glad that I had picked the NyKo charging station for my XBOne controllers.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11100 of 17036 Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I prefer the interface on the X1 over the one on my Oppo 105. The last time I used Netflix on the 360 was sometime in the spring and I can't really remember it well.

The old Xbox 360 Netflix UI was also unique, designed for voice and gesture control via Kinect (the new one has Kinect voice control on the 360).

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page