The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 391 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 160Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11701 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

Thanks for your help. I do see that it is only offered in stereo now. On another note I also thought I could force my Yamaha receiver into surround using pro logic but it doesn't let me. Is this because of the Dolby license?

WIth the XBOne you need to manually select stereo output. Then you can apply DPL to the stereo signal. Otherwise any of the other audio settings are sending out dead channels along with the FL/FR audio. So you can't apply the DPL.

Hopefully soon, they update the XBOne to dynamically match the output audio channels with the source audio. The only way to do it now is to manually change the output to match the source audio channels. WHich can quickly become annoying.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11702 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

My directv surround sounds great but why does Netflix play in stereo? I have no dialog from the center speaker and it says avengers is in HD? Is it the Dolby licensing issues causing it?

I just checked. The Avengers is only in stereo. Being in HD has nothing to do with the audio that is available. There are no audio options for the Avengers. I double checked on my Roku 3 and it is also only in stereo on the Roku 3.

I think this was also the case with previous Marvel Movies on Netflix. Initially they were in stereo, but I think at some point much later they had a multi-channel audio track available. This is a decision by the company that owns the movie, which I guess is Marvel/Disney. Netflix can only encode what they are given. If they aren't given a multi-channel audio track, then there is nothing to encode but a stereo audio track.

They usually start out 720p-only and stereo-only. They've all gradually picked up 1080p video encodes and 5.1 sound.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #11703 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

They usually start out 720p-only and stereo-only. They've all gradually picked up 1080p video encodes and 5.1 sound.

I knew it was something like that. How long is it usually until they are allowed to use the 1080P encode and 5.1 audio.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #11704 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

They usually start out 720p-only and stereo-only. They've all gradually picked up 1080p video encodes and 5.1 sound.

I knew it was something like that. How long is it usually until they are allowed to use the 1080P encode and 5.1 audio.

Generally within 2-3 months. Some may take longer. Dredd, though not Marvel, was added on the 23rd of August. It started as 720p-only (and I think HD-on-your-TV, meaning not HD on web players and the Win8 app) and has been Super HD and HD-on-everything for a while, but it's still not 5.1.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #11705 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Member
 
MAGHUNTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

WIth the XBOne you need to manually select stereo output. Then you can apply DPL to the stereo signal. Otherwise any of the other audio settings are sending out dead channels along with the FL/FR audio. So you can't apply the DPL.

Hopefully soon, they update the XBOne to dynamically match the output audio channels with the source audio. The only way to do it now is to manually change the output to match the source audio channels. WHich can quickly become annoying.

Excellent! Well I changed the audio mode from 7.1 uncompressed to stereo and viola Pro logic works on Netflix, Directv and Forza. I guess I will just leave it there until the Dolby update as it sounds just fine this way.
MAGHUNTER is offline  
post #11706 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

Excellent! Well I changed the audio mode from 7.1 uncompressed to stereo and viola Pro logic works on Netflix, Directv and Forza. I guess I will just leave it there until the Dolby update as it sounds just fine this way.

For the games you would want to use 7.1 uncompressed since the games are supposed to output 7.1. And for DirecTV probably 5.1. Assuming the channel is broadcasting in 5.1.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #11707 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Agreed, this is getting depressing...

I'm totally enjoying the Xbox One, converting many friends and family along the way.

I am also focused on gaming, and own most of the release titles, the good ones at least. Never felt compelled to do that before to this extreme but I have found all of them to be unique and advanced enough to justify this long awaited invigoration of the hobby plus the console integration aspects and trying so many new things just screams buy me. Hell, MS even got a Surface purchase out of me recently. Its the perfect companion for the console.

There certainly are faults but most will be easily corrected. My only immediate concern is Blu-ray 3D support. I have quite a bit invested there. Another thing is that my Kinect camera for my Day One console died right after hooking it up. No complaints, I would have been very disappointed but I had already purchased a back-up console for any online ordering issues or delays that same morning just in case. MS support was great and efficient. Full refund - no issues or hassle.

In comparision I picked up a PS4 on launch day and it is still sitting away in a closet, factory sealed. What would I do with it besides play Killzone? I've debated that for quite awhile now but that's all I can come up with and no one will take it off my hands at cost. Its going back to the store this weekend but I'm sure I will pick one up again for MLB The Show if the initial impressions are realized. Finally, I can't imagine what this group would do with their free time if the PS4 was the only option. We all seem to have the background, experiences, and desire to constantly tinker with new features and options. What fun would it be if the system just played games and worse yet, no one to play them with?
tampabuc is offline  
post #11708 of 16836 Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Member
 
mr_gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Omg...I logged on to play some ghosts and get a notice to install an update, no big deal. After it got stuck at 98% complete for about 5 mins I decided to cancel the download. Somehow that deleted the ENTIRE game and now I am having to reinstall?!?!?! WTF. I was all about the digital copies but this is pure **** right here. Takes way too long to install the first time much less having to do it over if something goes awry.
centking likes this.
mr_gordon is offline  
post #11709 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 AM
Member
 
juke_box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone noticed any increases in the speed of the OS since the recent update? Seems to me that navigating the menus, etc are a little quicker and less laggy.


XBL Gamertag: CoolZero78

Current Games: COD: Ghosts

juke_box is offline  
post #11710 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gordon View Post

Omg...I logged on to play some ghosts and get a notice to install an update, no big deal. After it got stuck at 98% complete for about 5 mins I decided to cancel the download. Somehow that deleted the ENTIRE game and now I am having to reinstall?!?!?! WTF. I was all about the digital copies but this is pure **** right here. Takes way too long to install the first time much less having to do it over if something goes awry.

Nothing was wrong with your update. It goes 0% to 98% almost immediately, sits there for awhile, changes to 99% for a while, and then completes. The update was 770+mb.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is online now  
post #11711 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oktoberrust11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

The storage is unlimited.

? Don't think so. I have 28GB on my SkyDrive, but that's only because last year they had a limited window to upgrade from the standard 7GB to 25GB for "loyal" SkyDrive users. And I got another 3GB that's good through next August for some promo.

You can certainly buy more, but the standard amount given to a new user is 7GB.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

oktoberrust11 is offline  
post #11712 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post

? Don't think so. I have 28GB on my SkyDrive, but that's only because last year they had a limited window to upgrade from the standard 7GB to 25GB for "loyal" SkyDrive users. And I got another 3GB that's good through next August for some promo.

You can certainly buy more, but the standard amount given to a new user is 7GB.


For Xbox One gold members Skydrive is unlimited.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/all-xbox-live-members-receive-unlimited-cloud-storage-xbox-one
Quote:
With the current generation Xbox, GOLD subscribers can gain access to 512MB of cloud storage to upload save files to. The cloud storage will allow you to access whatever is uploaded to it from any console. With the Xbox One, it appears Microsoft is planning to expand this ability and offer it to all members.

Not only will cloud storage be available to all members, but the storage will be unlimited. Meaning you can upload any amount of saves you like without hitting a limit. More so, the types of files being allowed on the cloud storage has been expanded, allowing games, achievements, profiles and more.

How are Microsoft doing this you ask? Well, with SkyDrive and Windows Azure of course! Windows Azure is the backend to all servers at Microsoft, it's the power behind SkyDrive, Bing and many more Microsoft services including Xbox One.

This is a plus to all Xbox members, as the cloud capabilities on the current generation is more than convenient. Having expanded options and unlimited storage on the Xbox One for all members is also a huge plus.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #11713 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
From what I read, that just means there wont be a limit on the number of saves you can upload. It sounds like it's 512MB (seriously? that tiny?)

Been an XBL Gold member for the better part of a decade and all I have is 7gb total. And even that's not enough sometimes. At one point on my computer I had 12GB just in Skyrim saves... and that was ONE character.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #11714 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

From what I read, that just means there wont be a limit on the number of saves you can upload. It sounds like it's 512MB (seriously? that tiny?)

Been an XBL Gold member for the better part of a decade and all I have is 7gb total. And even that's not enough sometimes. At one point on my computer I had 12GB just in Skyrim saves... and that was ONE character.

512mb was for the 360. It is unlimited for Gold members on the Xbox One. Those saves got expanded to videos and photos.

Skydrive on the website is not you managing your Skydrive on the One. If you uploaded a gameclip it is saved in Upload studios which is on the cloud which is unlimited for members. You don't see those files at the website.

I have 6.99GB of space on my Skydrive and all I have is college papers saved on there.
beach scrub likes this.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #11715 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 649
None of that stuff even takes up much space does it? I already have 47GB of storage available on my sky drive. Although the only reason I have so much is because I didn't realize that you got 20GB with OFfice 365 and I had purchased 20GB before I got the new office.

Plus I don't see any of my video clips on my Sky Drive. Or do I have to specifically save it there? Otherwise I see nothing from my XBOne when I look at my SKy drive from my PCs.

EDIT: I must have missed it. I do see a file labeled pictures that has some things I did on the XBOne.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #11716 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

512mb was for the 360. It is unlimited for Gold members on the Xbox One. Those saves got expanded to videos and photos.

Skydrive on the website is not you managing your Skydrive on the One. If you uploaded a gameclip it is saved in Upload studios which is on the cloud which is unlimited for members. You don't see those files at the website.

You do if you tell Upload Studio to save it to your SkyDrive, and thats's where the limitation is. If you want to do anything with clips after the fact, and edit tweak with them on your PC, you're limited to your actual SkyDrive space, not your cloud space. The disconnect here is calling it "unlimited storage on SkyDrive" because while it's technically on the same platform, it's not actually tied to your usable SkyDrive.

Either way, I hope MS has lots of room, as once a big exclusive RPG hits (if one ever does) I'll have gigs of saves for just that one game, then we'll really see how "unlimited" it is.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #11717 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

You do if you tell Upload Studio to save it to your SkyDrive, and thats's where the limitation is. If you want to do anything with clips after the fact, and edit tweak with them on your PC, you're limited to your actual SkyDrive space, not your cloud space.

Either way, I hope MS has lots of room, as once a big exclusive RPG hits (if one ever does) I'll have gigs of saves for just that one game, then we'll really see how "unlimited" it is.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that on Xbox One it is unlimited which was the original question.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #11718 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

You do if you tell Upload Studio to save it to your SkyDrive, and thats's where the limitation is. If you want to do anything with clips after the fact, and edit tweak with them on your PC, you're limited to your actual SkyDrive space, not your cloud space.

Either way, I hope MS has lots of room, as once a big exclusive RPG hits (if one ever does) I'll have gigs of saves for just that one game, then we'll really see how "unlimited" it is.

But will it ever be "Gigs of saves"? I know the saves on the 360 never took up much space at all. I had years and years of saves from dozens of games on a small flash drive.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #11719 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Which has nothing to do with the fact that on Xbox One it is unlimited which was the original question.

The point is it's misleading calling it SkyDrive, when it isn't actually a part of the regular SkyDrive. Normal average joes are going to make the mistake of thinking it means the actual SkyDrive, not XBO specific storage areas. MS would have been better saying unlimited storage thanks to Azure rather than SkyDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But will it ever be "Gigs of saves"? I know the saves on the 360 never took up much space at all. I had years and years of saves from dozens of games on a small flash drive.

It easily can be. The PS3 had a major problem with Skyrim saves once each one became larger than 2MB. It was a very well known issue. By the time I stopped playing Skyrim on my PC, my saves were over 12MB each for the latest ones. I Had over 1500 individual saves for my ONE character that added up to over 12GB, so yes, you CAN hit gigs of saves fairly easily. My roommate had to erase a bunch of his saves on the PS3 version just to save a bit of space.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #11720 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oktoberrust11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

The point is it's misleading calling it SkyDrive, when it isn't actually a part of the regular SkyDrive. Normal average joes are going to make the mistake of thinking it means the actual SkyDrive, not XBO specific storage areas. MS would have been better saying unlimited storage thanks to Azure rather than SkyDrive

Agreed, big difference.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

oktoberrust11 is offline  
post #11721 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Member
 
mr_gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Nothing was wrong with your update. It goes 0% to 98% almost immediately, sits there for awhile, changes to 99% for a while, and then completes. The update was 770+mb.

I could care less about this update why did me canceling the update cause me to have to reinstall the ENTiRE game?
mr_gordon is offline  
post #11722 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post

The point is it's misleading calling it SkyDrive, when it isn't actually a part of the regular SkyDrive. Normal average joes are going to make the mistake of thinking it means the actual SkyDrive, not XBO specific storage areas. MS would have been better saying unlimited storage thanks to Azure rather than SkyDrive
It easily can be. The PS3 had a major problem with Skyrim saves once each one became larger than 2MB. It was a very well known issue. By the time I stopped playing Skyrim on my PC, my saves were over 12MB each for the latest ones. I Had over 1500 individual saves for my ONE character that added up to over 12GB, so yes, you CAN hit gigs of saves fairly easily. My roommate had to erase a bunch of his saves on the PS3 version just to save a bit of space.

Except what your not grasping is that Skydrive along with Xbox Live and other services are apart of Azure so it isn't a separate entity. The average person doesn't care. If someone uploads a video or saves a file they don't have to worry about managing space like they did with the 360 excecpt with games for the physical hardrive itself. It doesn't matter if a file or character is 1mb or 2gb it is saved on the cloud which is what all the previous services I mentioned on the One is unlimited. I can't save or see my college papers on the One that are saved on the website. For some reason you can't seem to separate that the Skydrive/Azure is unlimited for a specific device on the overall service MS offers. .

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #11723 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I was planning to sit out (first console release since the Sega Saturn) but I was pumped over Dead Rising 3 and a few other titles. I was planning a PS4 all along but something about the One intrigues me. I still will end up with a PS4 down the road (have 360 and PS3) but with having 7 games and a couple controllers I am good for awhile.

smile.gif

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is online now  
post #11724 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Except what your not grasping is that Skydrive along with Xbox Live and other services are apart of Azure so it isn't a separate entity. The average person doesn't care. If someone uploads a video or saves a file they don't have to worry about managing space like they did with the 360 excecpt with games for the physical hardrive itself. It doesn't matter if a file or character is 1mb or 2gb it is saved on the cloud which is what all the previous services I mentioned on the One is unlimited. I can't save or see my college papers on the One that are saved on the website. For some reason you can't seem to separate that the Skydrive/Azure is unlimited for a specific device on the overall service MS offers. .

I can easily separate it, you can't seem to understand that WE are not the general population that can and will easily make the assumption that "Xbox One users get unlimited SkyDrive storage" means "Hey I have unlimited space on my SkyDrive" and then get pissed and complain when they look and only see 7GB. THAT is the point. Calling it ALL SkyDrive is misleading to the majority of people who have these things. Not US. Hell there's an example in this thread alone, just a few posts up. It can be confusing and misleading, as they don't FULLY state that it ONLY applies to SkyDrive function on the XBO, not across the entire SkyDrive platform.

And trust me, start piling up the gigs on the "unlimited" storage and you'll get a notice from MS when you start having too much. To the average user, sure, you may rack up a dozen gigs maybe, but what about those who reach 100+ gb (not saying it will be easy, but it's possible for sure). Every company is like this. Comcast has a 250gb bandwidth limit (not enforced right now) where I am, I routinely break that each month, and after building my new comp, used over 3tb just downloading my digital games I own. I certainly got an inquiry about the usage.

"Unlimited" is only that until THEY decide you're using too much.

But again, my whole point is that calling it ALL SkyDrive is misleading marketing, as you DON'T infact get unlimited across the SkyDrive environment, just on that one device. Even the article you linked doesn't really specify that it's a separate function...
Quote:
How are Microsoft doing this you ask? Well, with SkyDrive and Windows Azure of course! Windows Azure is the backend to all servers at Microsoft, it's the power behind SkyDrive, Bing and many more Microsoft services including Xbox One.

Either way, nice to see them sort of stepping up capabilities.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #11725 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Member
 
duffman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by juke_box View Post

Has anyone noticed any increases in the speed of the OS since the recent update? Seems to me that navigating the menus, etc are a little quicker and less laggy.

I wonder if that's just cause you expect it to be...

Personally, I have been very disappointed with this latest update. My whole system has drastically slowed down, none more noticeable than Kinect commands. Used to be that it didn't always understand me but it responded immediately, now it seems to understand me a tiny bit better but literally takes 2-3 sec to respond. So much so that for the first day or two I had already said the command a second time and it popped up as I was finishing the command. Overall the interface looks shiny but has abysmal performance, and this latest is really dragging my experience down.

On a slightly unrelated note, I have mine set to Instant On, and usually it works fine, but once every 3-4 times, I say Xbox On and it turns on, but fails to turn on any of my equipment. I then manually turn it on, only to find that the HDMI pass through fails and I can't watch TV. I then have to go into settings, set it to energy saving, turn it off, wait 30 seconds, manually turn it back on, and then everything works. Quite annoying as sometimes I also forget to switch it back to Instant On, which is quite comical as I end up yelling at my Xbox to turn on the next time. Anyway, just curious if anyone else has seen this as it sucks, and seems like some weird memory issue or something, which I know others have had.
duffman33 is offline  
post #11726 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Before having to ship out my XBO for repairs, I noticed massive lag on the notifications. When I would tell it to record a clip, the notifier would take upwards of a minute or two to go through its whole cycle. Nothing else lagged, just the achievement/message/etc notifiers.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #11727 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post

I wonder if that's just cause you expect it to be...

Personally, I have been very disappointed with this latest update. My whole system has drastically slowed down, none more noticeable than Kinect commands. Used to be that it didn't always understand me but it responded immediately, now it seems to understand me a tiny bit better but literally takes 2-3 sec to respond. So much so that for the first day or two I had already said the command a second time and it popped up as I was finishing the command. Overall the interface looks shiny but has abysmal performance, and this latest is really dragging my experience down.

On a slightly unrelated note, I have mine set to Instant On, and usually it works fine, but once every 3-4 times, I say Xbox On and it turns on, but fails to turn on any of my equipment. I then manually turn it on, only to find that the HDMI pass through fails and I can't watch TV. I then have to go into settings, set it to energy saving, turn it off, wait 30 seconds, manually turn it back on, and then everything works. Quite annoying as sometimes I also forget to switch it back to Instant On, which is quite comical as I end up yelling at my Xbox to turn on the next time. Anyway, just curious if anyone else has seen this as it sucks, and seems like some weird memory issue or something, which I know others have had.

I had some Kinect issues after the update. Prior to the update it was rock solid. I performed the Kinect calibration again last night. Now it's back to how it was before the update. Respsonding properly and quickly to all my voice commnads.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #11728 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Member
 
bwalker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26

I'm thinking of buying the 3yr squaretrade plan for 85$ to alleviate my concerns of having it on all the time for tv.  Either that or I don't think I will use the tv functions but its half the reason I picked it up so quickly lol.

bwalker36 is offline  
post #11729 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman33 View Post

I wonder if that's just cause you expect it to be...

Personally, I have been very disappointed with this latest update. My whole system has drastically slowed down, none more noticeable than Kinect commands. Used to be that it didn't always understand me but it responded immediately, now it seems to understand me a tiny bit better but literally takes 2-3 sec to respond. So much so that for the first day or two I had already said the command a second time and it popped up as I was finishing the command. Overall the interface looks shiny but has abysmal performance, and this latest is really dragging my experience down.

On a slightly unrelated note, I have mine set to Instant On, and usually it works fine, but once every 3-4 times, I say Xbox On and it turns on, but fails to turn on any of my equipment. I then manually turn it on, only to find that the HDMI pass through fails and I can't watch TV. I then have to go into settings, set it to energy saving, turn it off, wait 30 seconds, manually turn it back on, and then everything works. Quite annoying as sometimes I also forget to switch it back to Instant On, which is quite comical as I end up yelling at my Xbox to turn on the next time. Anyway, just curious if anyone else has seen this as it sucks, and seems like some weird memory issue or something, which I know others have had.

I'm also having issues post update. It was working fine a for the first couple weeks but after the most recent update it started acting odd. It will play fine then all of a sudden the screen will freeze and sometimes go to a black screen. I've tried doing a hard reboot, disabling "instant on," and switching cables to no avail. STB to TV works flawlessy as it always has so there must be some handshake issue with my Xbox one. What's even more odd is that the issue seems to get better the longer I have the TV passing through the Xbox one.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #11730 of 16836 Old 12-13-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hksvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I noticed Xbox turn off works fine. But xbox on is having some issues. It turns on the 3-4 times I say it. Usually it would only be twice max. It still turns everything on but it's annoying. I also noticed that when switch to watching tv is a big laggie. Not a big deal but the update didn't help much.
Hksvr4 is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off