post #11791 of 16214 Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I have a question, what kind of surface is it on? I thought my Xbox was making a noise, but then I realized that the glass it sat on in my entertainment center was vibrating. I put some cloth under the shelf and it took care of it.

I've temporarily put it on a storage container on carpet. The first one I had I did the same - it was quiet for two weeks until the noise issue occurred. I held the replacement X1 in my hands and still heard the noise so there's no vibration from the surface it's on.

I had my laptop on the first time I powered up the X1. My laptop can be a bit loud so I turned it off to see how far away I could hear the noise from the replacement X1. I can hear it from 5-6 feet away.

If the noise I'm hearing is normal, or within the range of normal, I can live with it. The noise itself can't be heard when I'm gaming with headphones. I imagine I wouldn't be able to hear it when using speakers. My concern is if it isn't normal that it could lead to further issues down the line when I'm no longer within the 30 day return window. I'd then have to send it to MS for repair instead of getting an easy replacement.

I have to go back to the MS Store to pick up my modded headset puck, which I forgot to keep, so I may bring the replacement X1 in to see what a tech says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I've temporarily put it on a storage container on carpet. The first one I had I did the same - it was quiet for two weeks until the noise issue occurred. I held the replacement X1 in my hands and still heard the noise so there's no vibration from the surface it's on.

I had my laptop on the first time I powered up the X1. My laptop can be a bit loud so I turned it off to see how far away I could hear the noise from the replacement X1. I can hear it from 5-6 feet away.

If the noise I'm hearing is normal, or within the range of normal, I can live with it. The noise itself can't be heard when I'm gaming with headphones. I imagine I wouldn't be able to hear it when using speakers. My concern is if it isn't normal that it could lead to further issues down the line when I'm no longer within the 30 day return window. I'd then have to send it to MS for repair instead of getting an easy replacement.

I have to go back to the MS Store to pick up my modded headset puck, which I forgot to keep, so I may bring the replacement X1 in to see what a tech says.
Any chance you can record the noise and upload (video onto youtube or something)? I sit 9 feet away from mine and do not hear it at all. It is quiet compared to my 360 where I could hear the Drive spin up a DVD easily.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #11793 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Hey, hey. My sports car just got put away for the winter. Here in the snowy Michigan it's SHO time on my daily commute.
-- see what I did there?
-- SHO time, get it? As in Taurus SHO... Haha... I'm an idiot... biggrin.gif

A mechanic freind of mine who traveled specifically to repair SHO engines used to always say "theres no business like SHO business."

post #11794 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
onlysublime likes this.

post #11795 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I keep forgetting to even think about using Smartglass for Ryse. The setting just does not seem right to use it since it is Roman times!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #11796 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 10
I got the XBox one to work on my Mitsubishi WS65413 (?) 1080i rear projector....
Xbox one would default to 480p, since the Mitsubishi doesnt support 720p or 1080p, and the picture looked terrible.

I purchased a Yamaha RX-V675 reciever (~$550) set it's HDMI output to 1080i, then put the xbox one at 1080p output. what a improvement in picture quality
post #11797 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 26

Mine will never turn on.  The voice commands work great from inside the console but It will never start.  It makes me so angry.  I have instant on turned on so i'm not sure what the deal is.  

post #11798 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Huh, I didn't even realize there WAS a SmartGlass app for Ryse. I'd heard about the Madden and Dead Rising ones prior to launch, but knew nothing about the Ryse one until now.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #11799 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
since the One is in the living room, I keep forgetting to turn off stupid 240Hz refresh! Everytime until it's too late to keep playing where I forget again.

a few things:

1) MS Needs to step up their game and allow me to program the XBOX to have 240Hz on when it's TV/movie time and then turn it off for (Game Mode On) when I play COD. I can see the logic but I just neem someone to write the code
2) MS basically needs to sell the Kinect Lite which then allows me to watch Netflix/Hulu etc. and control it via my voice or gesture. It can even have HDMI-CEC stuff so that it can turn on/off your things Yesterday, it was nice to be able to control watching Hulu Plus: Agents of Shield without even having to touch anything electronic (was eating pop corn)
3) MS can just make a MS Branded AVR that plays games. Things missing are the amps and audio and video switching.

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #11800 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

since the One is in the living room, I keep forgetting to turn off stupid 240Hz refresh! Everytime until it's too late to keep playing where I forget again.

a few things:

1) MS Needs to step up their game and allow me to program the XBOX to have 240Hz on when it's TV/movie time and then turn it off for (Game Mode On) when I play COD. I can see the logic but I just neem someone to write the code
2) MS basically needs to sell the Kinect Lite which then allows me to watch Netflix/Hulu etc. and control it via my voice or gesture. It can even have HDMI-CEC stuff so that it can turn on/off your things Yesterday, it was nice to be able to control watching Hulu Plus: Agents of Shield without even having to touch anything electronic (was eating pop corn)
3) MS can just make a MS Branded AVR that plays games. Things missing are the amps and audio and video switching.

Why would you want 240HZ mode on anyway? I can't stand the soap opera effect and it makes me nauseous.
dmarqueset likes this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #11801 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

not sure mine looks like that. It's definitively not soap opera-ish. It's smooth without having that weird life like stuff. not sure how to explain it. It's an older Samsung from 2007/2008 but man, TV and Streaming look great!

Gaming, not so much

I Geez Zeus Me

post #11802 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Why would you want 240HZ mode on anyway? I can't stand the soap opera effect and it makes me nauseous.

240Hz won't necessarily give you the soap opera effect. That is just a multiple of 24 which will prevent judder. The Soap Opera effect is caused by the Tv taking two frames and using interpolation, which creates a new frame in between the two existing frames. Each manufacturer calls this process something different. But it creates new frames with information that didn't exist before which smooths out the movement. I personally do not like this look.

By just using 5:5 pull down with 120Hz or 10:10 pulldown with 240Hz, that does not cause the Soap Opera effect. Since that does not create new frames with new information. It just repeats the existing frames.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11803 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
MS had no control on what settings your TV have enabled when switching modes. You have to enable/disable those settings yourself

sent from my wife's rooted OG Kindle Fire
post #11804 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

MS had no control on what settings your TV have enabled when switching modes. You have to enable/disable those settings yourself

sent from my wife's rooted OG Kindle Fire

yes, I realize this but since they're already "HDMI"ed in and us as users enable this feature, MS can lookup based on the model number detected or entered and then allow for these changes to happen automatically. It's not entirely out of the scope of things given that XBOX ON, XBOX TURN OFF, XBOX VOLUME UP and XBOX VOLUME DOWN seem to work just fine.

These settings are menu driven and with a little logic, full automation can be achieved...

Scene:

I'm sitting down 7AM kids are still asleep and the wife is making breakfast and I want to shoot some Federation Forces. I then can say XBOX On>XBOX GO TO CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS and play a few rounds. I then go XBPX VOLUME DOWN since the rumbling from grenades is shaking the house. "Oops"

It's now 7:30 and the kids have made their way downstairs. Now I can just go XBOX GO HOME>>XBOX WATCH TV>>GO TO ABC and from there, the One will swtich to watching TV and then the TV will then turn game mode off (or turn processing on) and we eat breakfast with some cartoons on.

I Geez Zeus Me

post #11805 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 27
The update seems to have screwed up my Xbox One. All I get is a black screen. If I reboot it the display is back to normal for a while then black screen.

Live Gamertags: PennHunter, world builder and aNUNandHERdog.
PSN: pennhunter
post #11806 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennhunter View Post

The update seems to have screwed up my Xbox One. All I get is a black screen. If I reboot it the display is back to normal for a while then black screen.

Did you try pressing and holding the power button on the console for 5 seconds? I had a screen issue with mine and doing that resolved it. Worth a try.
post #11807 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennhunter View Post

I'm also having problems since the update. I set it up last Saturday and it worked flawless until the update. Since the update I have had to disconnect the power to get the TV app to show a picture at least 4 times now. Also had to recalibrate the Kinect and the turn off command will sometimes turn off my other components and other times won't. We need an update to fix the update!
post #11808 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Is this the update from last Tuesday? Or has there been another one?

I had to redo the Kinect calibration after the last update. SInce I recalibrated it, mine has been fine.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #11809 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Yes I rebooted it and it worked fine for a few hours. I guess I will have to limp along till the next update.

post #11810 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
F that. I would return it for a new one.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #11811 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGHUNTER View Post

I'm also having problems since the update. I set it up last Saturday and it worked flawless until the update. Since the update I have had to disconnect the power to get the TV app to show a picture at least 4 times now. Also had to recalibrate the Kinect and the turn off command will sometimes turn off my other components and other times won't. We need an update to fix the update!

Instead of powering down just do the tv setup again. Same thing happen to me last night and that fixed it.

The 5.0 is here
post #11812 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Instead of powering down just do the tv setup again. Same thing happen to me last night and that fixed it.

I will try that thanks, if I returned it there is no guarantee the update wouldn't bork it again. I'm sure it's a software problem.

post #11813 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
One thing I have to say is, when I'm hung over the next day, I should not have to do a reboot/troubleshoot to watch tv. When I said xbox on, everything turned on but no tv! That is all.
pennhunter likes this.
post #11814 of 16214 Old 12-16-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
a strong hint that Plex is coming soon to Xbox One... it's already out for Windows 8/8.1/RT/Phone and I don't know what other Microsoft platforms are out there.

now we need VLC! it's about to hit Windows 8/RT...

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57347-plex-sync/page-2#entry518554

I know you guys have been very patient around Sync support. So thank you for that.

Generally speaking, it's worth keeping in mind that iOS and Android are simply more established Plex platforms with a larger user base. Unfortunately for Microsoft, there aren't enough people out there buying apps on Windows 8 and 8.1 to make the case for higher prioritization. Once there are more Windows 8/8.1 users using the Plex app, especially on tablets, you'll see decisions like this shifting. And not just for us, but across the industry. Numbers talk.

Why do we have to prioritize? Because there aren't a lot of us, compared to the number of platforms, products and features we work on. That's the nature of the software industry, to do as much as you can, and spend your time wisely.

Anyway, things have been fairly quiet on Windows update-wise. That's mainly because we've been doing some major refactoring in the Windows app codebase in order to support... another Microsoft platform. That should be out soon.

And for the Windows app itself, you can expect a major release or two in the short to mid term. Unless plans change (and they can), I don't think you'll be disappointed.
post #11815 of 16214 Old 12-17-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

a strong hint that Plex is coming soon to Xbox One... it's already out for Windows 8/8.1/RT/Phone and I don't know what other Microsoft platforms are out there.

now we need VLC! it's about to hit Windows 8/RT...

https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57347-plex-sync/page-2#entry518554

I know you guys have been very patient around Sync support. So thank you for that.

Generally speaking, it's worth keeping in mind that iOS and Android are simply more established Plex platforms with a larger user base. Unfortunately for Microsoft, there aren't enough people out there buying apps on Windows 8 and 8.1 to make the case for higher prioritization. Once there are more Windows 8/8.1 users using the Plex app, especially on tablets, you'll see decisions like this shifting. And not just for us, but across the industry. Numbers talk.

Why do we have to prioritize? Because there aren't a lot of us, compared to the number of platforms, products and features we work on. That's the nature of the software industry, to do as much as you can, and spend your time wisely.

Anyway, things have been fairly quiet on Windows update-wise. That's mainly because we've been doing some major refactoring in the Windows app codebase in order to support... another Microsoft platform. That should be out soon.

And for the Windows app itself, you can expect a major release or two in the short to mid term. Unless plans change (and they can), I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What is plex? Similar to Airplay?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #11816 of 16214 Old 12-17-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

What is plex? Similar to Airplay?
It's a XBMC variant and media server. Nice interface but the quality seems lower when it streams files compared to Serviio or older applications like Tversity.
post #11817 of 16214 Old 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

got my Mediasonic HW150PVR yesterday and hooked it up. So far so good with the voice commands working with the One and the tuner. Gonna see if I can get my old flash drive to act as a dvr with it. I'm also in the market for a more powerful anteanna so that I can get CBS from about 35+ miles from the Chicago towers.

the tv watching experience can be smoother but it works as expected. It's a tuner with HDMI out that can connect to the XOne. So, we've realized what mmy vision was when I bought the damn system...given the limitations of being a #cordcutter

Last night, the wife wanted to watch Castle on Hulu+ while the damn Bulls game was on. So easy enough right, XBOX ON - turns all my devices on (Pioneer Elite AVR + Samsung LCD + MediaSonic tuner + XBOX One) -> XBOX GO TO HULU PLUS -> NETWORKS -> 3 (or whatever number ABC and Castle was on). Then I say XBOX SNAP TV -> XBOX WATCH WGN LOCAL CHICAGO. Hulu would still be playing along with the game snapped to the right. Commercial on Hulu? XBOX FULL SCREEN and now the game is full screen. after a few minutes, XBOX GO TO HULU PLUS and BAM Castle is playing again.

Is this the future?

on a side note, is there a way to do the "switch" I'm at work and XBOX.com is blocked

oh and sound from the mediasonic tuner is soft

other than that, we're really enjoying my XOne experience so far.

I Geez Zeus Me

post #11818 of 16214 Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
everytime I've said "Xbox Switch", nothing happens. The thing will pop up that lets me know that it's listening, and it will even have the word Switch on the top, but then nothing actually happens.
post #11819 of 16214 Old 12-17-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

everytime I've said "Xbox Switch", nothing happens. The thing will pop up that lets me know that it's listening, and it will even have the word Switch on the top, but then nothing actually happens.

"Xbox switch" works for me. You can also double tap on the home button (or whatever they're calling it) on the controller.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #11820 of 16214 Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

"Xbox Switch" changes the app you control. For example, If I'm playing DR3 and "snap tv" I have control over the snapped tv app as far as changing channels, play/pause etc. When I say switch the tv app is still snapped but I now have control over DR3 and not the tv. Hope that helps.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page