Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #91 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 502
the whole indie thing is way overblown like a lot of the other posts lately... the 360 was the most indie friendly of the consoles this gen and it sure didn't resonate with a lot of people.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesSilva/20130523/192832/Were_Indie_we_like_Microsoft_Too_Controversial.php

I wrote this post on our blog a few months ago to express how absolutely weird and unfortunate I thought it was that the trending perception of Microsoft and indies had gotten so bad that silly creative decisions of mine were being taken as Microsoft's ever-burgeoning evilness toward indies, or something. My message was this: we're indie, we make the games we want to make, Microsoft publishes them, and the past five years of this have been great, and it's too bad that that's not super newsworthy, because this whole time it just feels like I must watch, powerless, as Lumbergh keeps taking my red stapler.

You know that thing about no self-publishing on Xbox One? The meaning of that quote was that the partner/publisher relationship is currently the same (i.e. what we, an indie studio, been doing for the last five years) but they're exploring ways to improve it. Basically "everything's the same, stay tuned for improvements" mutated into "no indies on Xbox One, ever" in a few hours.

I think this illuminates an underlying issue, namely that of Microsoft’s misunderstood role as indie games publisher, and how that ties to the trending media narrative on Microsoft being “bad for indies.” Where do we stand on all this? Read on:

So, Microsoft is publishing Charlie Murder. What does that mean? Here are a few facts to set the record straight:

We have full creative control. This is our game. 100% of the (non-localized) content in Charlie Murder was made by Michelle and me, or, in a few cases, by a few gaming celebrities who we got some rad cameos from (yes, celebrities).

Ska Studios is just Michelle and me. We work in our basement. We have two cats (you knew that).

Microsoft gives us localized text from our English text, finds bugs, tells us how to fix bugs when we’re stumped, tells us how close to passing cert we are, and takes us out to dinner when we’re in town. They provide some great creative and design feedback (personal favorite: “More witches with handguns!”) and technical services that have helped us nail down some obscenely obscure bugs, and they host internal Charlie Murder playtest parties (“sessions”), which is awesome.

(We can’t talk about money, but rest assured we didn’t get paid to feature Windows Phone or write this blog. And shame on you for asking, seriously, who just asks people about their finances!?)

I can’t emphasize that first point enough: Charlie Murder is our game. Four years ago I started working on what was meant to be an homage to early 90′s coin op brawlers set in a punk rock apocalypse universe, and when our then-producer at Microsoft told me they were interested in publishing it to XBLA, I jumped at the opportunity. Charlie Murder was my baby until Michelle came along, and now it’s our baby. Our friends at Microsoft love the game and are hugely supportive of it, but at the end of the day, Michelle and I are the only people who get to work on it. Not to say we’ve ever really butted heads with them, because, quite franky…

Working with Microsoft is great. I have heard a few stories that contradict my experience, and I know quite a few people who are happier on platforms other than XBLA, and that’s fine for them. XBLA is a closed, carefully curated platform with its own set of fairly rigid standards and protocols. For me, it was just a matter of “do the work, release the game,” and that’s exactly what we did. Going from a hobbyist PC bedroom developer to having conference calls with Microsoft (admittedly, still from my bedroom) was such a rush that the supposed terrors of having to fill out lots of forms or fix messaging errors were absolutely lost on me.

There is currently a “Microsoft is bad for indies” narrative trending in gaming news. I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy nut, but narratives happen. My experience is and always has been “everything’s fine,” but, again, that’s not exactly newsworthy. Nothing is more delicious than that ugly truth, which is also unfortunate, because…

Reinforcing the “Microsoft is bad for indies” narrative doesn’t hurt Microsoft, it hurts indies. I vividly remember reading this IGN article calling XBLIG a failure roughly a year into its life and thinking basically the same thing: telling thousands of readers that Microsoft is failing at indie gaming is telling thousands of potential customers that Microsoft is failing at indie gaming. And while everyone likes a sale, the ones who really, desperately need the money aren’t the Microsoft people who greenlight the projects, they’re the indie developers who are trying to quit their day jobs, trying to buy a house, trying to raise a baby. As a consumer, would you think twice about buying a game from a “failed platform?” Would you hesitate at buying an indie game from a company that “screws indies?” But that’s the current narrative, and while it sucks for Microsoft, it sucks a lot more for indie developers who are publishing on XBLA.

We’re human beings. We love making games, and we want to keep making games for a really stupidly long time. We think our publisher is great, but more importantly, we think our games are great. Hopefully you do too.
Jonny5nz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Nothing about the XB1 reveal surprised me...offended me...overwhelmed me...underwhelmed me...made me say I gotta have it...or kiss off MS...No Way! I was actually impressed with the product itself. It is a hell of a machine with a ton going for it. A true "Uber" XBox that can fully optimize today's technology. And tiptoe into the real Next Generation of 2015 and beyond. Everyone should take a deep breath. Because this console will likely upgrade and change at least 3-4 times over the next 7-10 years...as economies come to scale and better parts become less expensive. While real "game changer" Next Gen game technologies like Oculus Rift come on line. MS has built XB1 to change, adapt and integrate with a much bigger ecosystem that also changes rapidly. Most importantly...it's own Windows Live gaming environment. So what if XB1 does TV and multimedia really really well. Who cares if you don't need it for that. XB1 importantly locks in their investment on Kinect. And it will also kick ass in the game arena too. Kinect is a huge part of a much bigger gaming world coming soon. One that many don't see because they are indifferent right now...or jaded by the hokiness of the casual motion market. But Kinect is part of a much bigger gaming mosaic. One that will surely shock and amaze everyone once they inevitably tire of the fancy new graphics and me-too sameness with this gen gaming experiences. You just have to think outside of the box a little. Imagine the old Dave and Buster's Videogame arcade centers being reimagined for instance. Into centers where people can suspend in chambers and compete in OR type virtual worlds. Then go home and game in a 4x8 VR chamber at home (think Lawnmower Man). Or just chill out with XB1 coupled with your Oculus Rift system. Or just kick back and play games old school. Like we do it now.

We've only known for about two years worth of talk on the old thread what Team XBox was going to do. And they did exactly what we all said and thought they'd do for over 7000 comments. Even though they are trying to parse a little of it back now. What most people...as I see it...are afraid of is the potentially negative economic impact of Next Gen console restrictions on the gaming industry itself (ie,Used Game Restrictions). While many are hypersensitive about an increased potential for loss/abuse of privacy and individual choices (always online/Kinect). I concede that MS botched the reveal badly. Those concerns are valid IMO. But we hold the ultimate power as consumers. If the big boys over reach. People won't buy their stuff. And will move on to something else. If MS allows personal information to leak for unsavory purposes...or a known privacy abuser like Newscorp (Bing) to abuse people through its platform. It's DOA in a lot of homes! People will not accept that and they know it, But again...I concede...they laid the potential for it to happen out there...On an otherwise wonderful product.

The biggest thing they got right IMO was the product itself. It is Perfect for what they want to accomplish. MS can always walk back areas they deem too risky right now...before launch. Heck...it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't move the launch itself back a little to hit this thing right. And give Oculus Rift a little more time with game developers. Because XB1 and Kinect 2.0 should be right in the epicenter of that development if we are really talking next generation. The biggest thing they flubbed surprisingly to me was the Blu-Ray Drive. Why put something like that in XB1 if it has to DL to HDD anyway. Just do a FTP DVD with an activation code on it for full game DD only and DLC. And allow it to be traded in and reactivated on the cheap. Since they did Blu-Ray thay should make it their premium medium for people who don't want to gunk up their HDD with too many games. Make the HDD load user optional with automatic FTP & discounted tie ins to DLC. But non capable of downloading to another HDD. But let it remain playable & tradable as a standalone (without DLC) BTW I agree with everyone that MS blew the communication in its reveal. It highlighted all of the potential restrictions people saw and perceived instead ot laying out a clear next generation vision.

Which brings me to the real game changer IMO. Oculus Rift will be my very first authentic NexGen purchase. And I will buy it on release date (2014). I can't wait to tinker around with Sony Worlds like EVE online with it on my HTPC. IMO PCs stand to benefit most by OR. Because there are so many past game universe IPs established already that can be relaunched to exploit VR on PC. Like the aforementioned ME...and Halo...Fable...Elder Scrolls...Madden...etc. Valve is locked in at the hip with OR and MS has it in play with Kinect 2.0 (and probably XB1). The next gen console that marries itself with this tech will be the one I will spring for. But I see XB1 tying in with it perfectly so far. The options are really endless if this intriguing concept works. The links below are for those who are not familiar with Oculus Rift.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/17917/20130529/oculus-rift-plus-kinect-xbox-one-features-vertigo.htm

http://www.gizmag.com/inition-oculus-rift-vr/27701/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/24/a-bespectacled-look-at-the-oculus-rift/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/05/11/oculus-rift-and-sony-help-ccp-games-expand-eve-universe-beyond-online-pc-gamers/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/465372/20130507/oculus-rift-preview-ps4-xbox-720.htm

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Best-Oculus-Rift-VR-Experiences-Will-Be-Games-Made-for-It-Cliff-Bleszinski-Says-352928.shtml
post #93 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Great post barrelbelly. Hopefully people will just take a step back and look at the big picture.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #94 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/27/we-arent-using-kinect-to-snoop-says-harrison/

The executive also noted that Microsoft won’t force developers to integrate Kinect into game, and hopes that future uses of the tech will be more appealing to gamers.

“It could be just as simple as a voice command, or it could be just as simple as knowing there’s more than one person in the room at the same time, and being able to automatically populate options and user interface – knowing there are two people playing or three people playing,” he said.

“Things that can be really subtle but really joyful to the player. It doesn’t have to be jumping up off the couch and running around your living room – it can be quite subtle.”

This really isn't all that related but I still find it weird that Phil Harrison, once one of the long time stalwarts in the Playstation camp, works for MS. Just...odd. That's all. tongue.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Yep, we're all just crazy, paranoid freaks. There really isn't a single valid criticism of the Xbox One reveal and MS's statements since. Every thing is just happy happy happy.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #96 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

This really isn't all that related but I still find it weird that Phil Harrison, once one of the long time stalwarts in the Playstation camp, works for MS. Just...odd. That's all. tongue.gif

He resigned from Sony 5 years ago so it's not as though he walked out of one camp and into the other biggrin.gif.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #97 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

Didn't he go to Atari after Sony?

The 5.0 is here
post #98 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 178
He probably had a non compete for a few years.
post #99 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Gah, those thread locks always throw me off.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #100 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Phil Harrison is just a salesman working a job and doing a poor job at every place apparently. I don't know any place that he didn't put a foot into his mouth.
post #101 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 182
The big picture sucks right now. I don't want to have to dance to play games. I don't want to be the one laying the bricks for the "15 years in the future technology" that is actually fun to play.

I can't decide with my dollars either. Because it matters none that I haven't bought COD since MW1. The other billion sheep keep buying it every 6 months. It won't matter if I don't buy this xbox because there are tons of people that obviously love it and can't find a thing wrong with what they are provided with.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #102 of 17060 Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

It won't matter if I don't buy this xbox because there are tons of people that obviously love it and can't find a thing wrong with what they are provided with.

It's still your vote (with your dollars) even if you're in the minority.

We just don't know enough to judge yet. There are a ton of questions about consumer (gamer) concerns that MS is unwilling to answer at this time. Who knows? They may be making up the answers as they go biggrin.gif. (By figuring out what things people object to that they can possibly make changes to adjust before launch).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #103 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
People aren't saying Xbone Will suck, we're just saying it sucks SO FAR, Microsoft will have to prove us wrong along the way and convince us to purchase their device. Most gamers who couldn't care less about TV options or gimmicky Kinect crap think the same way.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #104 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
There's enough to judge right now if some of the details we've been provided are a major issue for someone. For me personally, the disappearance of offline videogaming is a biggie and enough for me to view this system in a very unfavorable light.

No matter how nicely done anything else may be, it doesn't erase the fact that as it stands now offline videogaming on the next generation Xbox will essentially not exist from the details we have been provided. And if that's important to someone, they can sure as heck create a negative opinion here based on facts. And the only way to possibly even effect a change in their direction is by voicing it now when perhaps a last minute change in plans could happen.

The last thing any of the stakeholders here need no matter what their opinions are at this stance is for people to hush their thoughts. And that includes the negative opinions as long as they have some legitimate basis for being voiced. Of course we don't need nonsense like claiming that it stinks and is destined for failure because it's a Microsoft product. But the legitimate criticism should be voiced.
post #105 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

https://sketchfab.com/show/qsRPEw7hTKC4E02XMop9DUpu2wb

3D view of system.

The 5.0 is here
post #106 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

The biggest thing they flubbed surprisingly to me was the Blu-Ray Drive. Why put something like that in XB1 if it has to DL to HDD anyway. Just do a FTP DVD with an activation code on it for full game DD only and DLC. And allow it to be traded in and reactivated on the cheap. Since they did Blu-Ray thay should make it their premium medium for people who don't want to gunk up their HDD with too many games. Make the HDD load user optional with automatic FTP & discounted tie ins to DLC. But non capable of downloading to another HDD. But let it remain playable & tradable as a standalone (without DLC) BTW I agree with everyone that MS blew the communication in its reveal. It highlighted all of the potential restrictions people saw and perceived instead ot laying out a clear next generation vision.
The move to Blu-ray was necessary for several reasons:
1) Blu-ray playback for movies is a big deal if you're pushing your box as an all-in-one solution for media.
2) The size of the games necessitates a larger capacity of physical media, even with the compression/decompression they have built into the hardware. I don't expect that many games will actually use the capacity of a Blu-ray disc, even over the long haul... even for RPGs that previously would have been multi-disc affairs. And I say that based on the file sizes for PC games, which this system is more analogous to. By going to mandatory installs, you can have a compressed version of the software on the media and have it decompress to the HDD (and by having the decompression built-in to the hardware, you don't run into the install times necessary on PC).
3) Even if the games only take 10-20gb, internet infrastructure in the U.S. (and many parts of the world) is too underdeveloped for a game that size to be download-only, hence the need for physical media. However, as internet infrastructure improves worldwide, this will change... which is why many believe these new consoles will be the last to use physical media. This is why I think people are overreacting to the used games issue quite a bit, because they've been spoiled by thinking they "own" a piece of software just because it came to them on a disc. Those of us coming from PC gaming know better, and this generation of console is a half-step toward a fully digital transmission method.

As far as why they don't let games play off the disc, it's a matter of data transfer speed. Blu-ray drives don't transfer fast enough, and worse, have slower seek times if the game needs data from another part of the disc. This is why so many current-gen games pack on redundant data on several areas of the disc, which causes a bloat in the file sizes... whereas if you're installing to the HDD, you can have the same file structure that you had on the development kit and not have to optimize for the slower media transfer speed. This also enables the jump-in jump-out nature of the new consoles. Honestly, I -REALLY- like this aspect of the Xbox One, since I can now pause a game and come back to the exact moment when I resume it without save files. I hope this changes the way we view checkpoints in games.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #107 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Has MS mentioned anything about the audio in the games for the XBOne? Will they go to an advanced audio codec with 7.1 instead of the legacy DD 5.1 that the 360 uses for the games?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #108 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope so. It's one thing I really like about the PS3. If they could just offer PCM like Sony does with so many of their games I'd be happy. I notice a difference. If they offered either DTS:MA or TrueHD I'd be fine with that too. Something though tells me we're getting standard DD for games. I just have a feeling. Hope I'm wrong though.

post #109 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:

I hope so. It's one thing I really like about the PS3. If they could just offer PCM like Sony does with so many of their games I'd be happy. I notice a difference. If they offered either DTS:MA or TrueHD I'd be fine with that too. Something though tells me we're getting standard DD for games. I just have a feeling. Hope I'm wrong though.

Nah....PCM direct over HDMI will definitely be the standard. No need to compress the sound anymore, that was just an extra step they had to take with the 360 because it came out pre-HDMI. Dolby digital was so deeply integrated with the OS that they were basically stuck with it, but just a year later the PS3 came out with direct 7.1 PCM over HDMI.

It's got an optical port, so I'm sure there will be DD support for people with older receivers, and with a bluray drive its certain to support the HD codecs....but for games, they'll definitely just use simple and pure PCM. Codecs don't even need to enter into the equation.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #110 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope you're right. It makes sense too as HDMI will be baked in this time and not a bolt-on like the 360. It's about time game audio made that next jump for both consoles.

post #111 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hope you're right. It makes sense too as HDMI will be baked in this time and not a bolt-on like the 360. It's about time game audio made that next jump for both consoles.

I'd bet my life savings on it. smile.gif

There was a leaked white paper on the audio specs a few weeks ago, it probably mentioned it there, I'll see if I can find it.

post #112 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah here it is:

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/

7.1 48khz/24bit PCM.

post #113 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's still your vote (with your dollars) even if you're in the minority.

We just don't know enough to judge yet. There are a ton of questions about consumer (gamer) concerns that MS is unwilling to answer at this time. Who knows? They may be making up the answers as they go biggrin.gif. (By figuring out what things people object to that they can possibly make changes to adjust before launch).

To me, the current state of the gaming ecosystem is extremely stagnant. If you are Microsoft and launching a new console into this environment, what can you do to counter this? You expand upon and focus on being the centerpiece of the living room. That is how you expand your user base when gaming and gamers are at a standstill. It's also not new. It's been Microsoft's strategy since they launched the original Xbox1 at a known and calculated hardware loss in order to enter the console market. Xbox360 was the next step with "apps" and such, and now it is time to try and capitalize on "the digital living room".
post #114 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah here it is:

http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-sound-of-tomorrow/

7.1 48khz/24bit PCM.

Sweet. smile.gif

post #115 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Xbox One and Design: Perspective from the Xbox One Design Team

The 5.0 is here
post #116 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Xbox One Reveal Delivers Record-Breaking Viewership Numbers for Xbox

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/xbox-reveal-xbox-one-reveal-delivers-record-breaking-viewership-numbers-for-xbox

Quote:
The Xbox team has been working for years for this big day, with great anticipation for fan’s reaction to our big reveal. The Xbox Reveal event drove record-breaking viewership – with over 8.45 million people watching the Xbox Reveal event in the first 24 hours, rivaling one of the top-most concurrent streamed events of all time.

On Xbox.com, we nearly tripled our previous concurrency record – with almost three times as many people watching the livestream at the same time, versus any other major event in Xbox.com history. According to our friends at Akamai, our streaming partner, the Xbox Reveal event was among the most watched live broadcasts delivered by Akamai in their history, nearly doubling peak traffic records and eclipsing concurrent viewership high-water marks set by events such as the 2010 World Cup, Royal Wedding in 2011, and 2012 election night.

While a massive success online, millions of TV viewers also tuned in. Nielsen reports over 1.73 million people tuned into our briefing on SPIKE TV and the Xbox Reveal event was the #1 television show for Men 18-34 at 10 am on May 21.

The Xbox Reveal event also drove tremendous social buzz. According to Twitter, the event was the #1 non-sports social program across all TV networks and the second most social show on television on May 21, just slightly behind the NBA Playoffs.

The 5.0 is here
post #117 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Xbox put out a promo video about the design of the Xbox One.

YOINK, and I see I was beaten to posting it so carry on...
post #118 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

damn Spid biggrin.gif

The 5.0 is here
post #119 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The Beauty of Xbox One: A New Approach to Design

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/xbox-one-beauty-of-xbox-one

“Xbox has always had something to say. It’s always been bold with a strong personality,” said Carl Ledbetter, Creative Director, Industrial Design. “Xbox One needs to serve our most loyal gaming fans and deliver unique entertainment experiences, so its design has to make an appropriate statement that reflects its capability as an all-in-one entertainment system.”

Xbox One is developed to be the ultimate gaming and entertainment system, so the design team at Microsoft had to make every aspect of the experience —ranging from its appearance, to how users interact with its software —modern and sophisticated. It was designed to be simple and inviting, all while being attuned to the console’s internal components to ensure flawless performance.

The only way to accomplish this was to build Xbox One from the very beginning as an integrated system. Hardware and software were developed in tandem using a new, unified design language that grounded Xbox One in consistent, efficient and simple form and functionality.

Intuitive, Consistent and Immersive – A New Design Language

“We wanted to think from a holistic perspective,” said Ramiro Torres, Creative Director, Design, on Xbox One. “When designing anything on Xbox, you have to consider everything from the way the hardware and user interface looks, to the way the box and branding is expressed. Everything has a role in the way you experience a brand.”

The design language, which uses a series of tiles and fluid motion, is steeped in the same DNA as Modern UI, the unifying language shared by Microsoft products like Windows 8 and Microsoft Surface.

It draws inspiration from 16:9, which is the number that describes the width-to-height ratio most common in today’s high-definition wide screen TVs. The aspect ratio is naturally pleasing to the eye, and synonymous with cinematic presentation and the living room entertainment experience, two qualities that the Xbox team wanted embodied by Xbox One.

The design language is visible in Xbox One’s hardware. The console is evenly divided between the matte and gloss –the front in particular clearly reflects this symmetry– and the top brings together two even rectangles, where the vent panel’s edge detail matches the appearance of a selected tile in the user interface.

The design language also provides a solid foundation for hardware and software design to come together. The team experimented with the same ratio, tiles and shapes that inspired the hardware, and quickly formed an appealing and natural visual experience that could be repeated in Xbox One’s dashboard and other software.

As the home to all content and basic navigation, dashboard design is a critical element and one where form and function have to intertwine. Its content tiles derive their size and shape from various fractions of a 16:9 space. This derivative, repeating design makes interacting with the dashboard, such as launching games or browsing the Xbox Live Marketplace, an experience centered on simplicity and intuitive navigation.

Grounding software design in this new language also ensures consistent experiences across other connected devices including TV, PCs, tablets and Windows phones. In the past, it was very different to develop software for a 17-inch monitor compared to a 52-inch TV, particularly with the various ways users control these devices, ranging from touch to voice. With Xbox One, though, developers have a simple, unified design to guide them, enabling the creation of software that looks and feels familiar regardless of the device it’s on.

Liquid Black – Bringing Entertainment Forward

Color is another core tenant of the design language and is expressed in Xbox One’s use of liquid black, the blackest black creatable, as a color palette for the brand. This selection was motivated by the same guidance followed by high-definition TV manufactures: dark colors accentuate content and bring the entertainment experience to the forefront.

The console and Kinect sensor are liquid black so they melt into the background when being used, allowing the content on your TV to dominate the living room. The user interface is overlaid on the same shade of deep black so that the content tiles on the dashboard are more vivid and easier to navigate and interact with.

Even the wireless controller uses liquid black to enhance visibility. The traditional A, B, X and Y buttons were re-designed so that the colored letters now float on a sea of rich, liquid black, a “triple-shot of injected resin,” clearly defining their placement on the controller.

In-House Iteration

Bringing Microsoft’s vision for Xbox One to fruition required assembling the right design talent and experts to collaborate with the hardware and software engineering teams.

The Xbox One design team is composed of experienced industrial designers, product developers, human factor specialists and color, material and finishes (CMF) experts, and more. Carl Ledbetter is an 18-year veteran of Microsoft and led Xbox 360 S and Kinect industrial design. Ramiro Torres spent the last 16 years working on premiere brands including Microsoft, Nike and MTV.

The design and engineering teams worked right beside each other at Microsoft’s main campus in Redmond, Washington, where state-of-the-art facilities, including a user research and testing lab, a 3D modeling and print shop, and more, were at their disposal.

“Having the design and engineering teams working closely together was paramount to the design process,” explained Ledbetter. “It makes it faster and more efficient, and allowed us to rapidly prototype new samples for testing. Constant iteration was instrumental.”

For instance, the design team would design and create a vent panel with a 3D printer in the modeling shop, and then send it next door to the engineering team, who would immediately evaluate it and supply notes on what needed to be adjusted. The design team would then manufacture an improved version, and the testing cycle would repeat until they had a prototype that not only looked great, but also functioned perfectly.

“We’re like a race car pit crew,” said Ledbetter. “Everyone has their own very important job, but we’re all working right next each other as a team to win the race.”

Before the team arrived at Xbox One’s final design, the team created 200 controller models, more than one hundred different versions of the Kinect sensor and “dozens and dozens” of console prototypes. Some prototypes reflected substantial design changes. Others incorporated subtle improvements resulting from the team’s tireless pursuit of perfection.

For example, the dimensions of the controller are refined to the closest tenth of a millimeter to ensure the best fit and comfort in gamers’ hands. Also, the configuration of the Kinect’s cameras and sensors was changed multiple times until it achieved a clean, simple appearance consistent with the rest of Xbox One’s hardware.

“Many people may not notice some of the small design touches,” said Ledbetter. “But we take pride in our craftsmanship in making sure everything is perfect. We want to create something that is exciting and will please our customers, both old and new. Nailing every last detail is critical.”

The 5.0 is here
post #120 of 17060 Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Xbox One and Design: Perspective from the Xbox One Design Team

IMO, that is the ugliest and most boring looking console design of all time! eek.gif Looks like a VCR. confused.gif Not that looks matter to performance, but damn! I loved how they went into all this detail about the design in that video............its a simple rectangular box! How much thought really went into it?!? tongue.gif

My question is can the unit still be placed on end, or is it horizontal placement only?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page