The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 406 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 183Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12151 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I don't really understand why you are defending Microsoft's paywall. I don't think you can compare it to a device, where you need a subscription for it to function.

It's so useless without the gold sub that I think it's fair to say you need the sub for it to function. Is there even anyone posting here that's got an Xbox one that isn't a gold sub?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12152 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's so useless without the gold sub that I think it's fair to say you need the sub for it to function. Is there even anyone posting here that's got an Xbox one that isn't a gold sub?

I guess, I've always had gold. I was just thinking that you could still play single player games and watch movies, on disc.
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #12153 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I'm not defending it. It is what it is. But it has always been that way. Literally a few seconds of research tells me that an XBL gold subscription is required to view these services on the 360 and XBOne.

Proper research should be done before buying any product. but everyone makes mistakes. I didn't research the Forza 5 car add ons and while I may have been pissed about how they go about giving you the cars you purchase, I had no one to blame but myself. Since I did not research it before making the purchase.
I agree,
I'm just not on board with Microsoft's paywall.....even though, I've always had gold. I just think it's a legitimate complaint.
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #12154 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Member
 
bwalker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post


I guess, I've always had gold. I was just thinking that you could still play single player games and watch movies, on disc.


Can you download from the store without gold?  Because if you are unable to then you cannot even watch movies lol.  They really need incentives though.  There is no benefit to gold that PSN doesn't give you for free.  When you get Plus you get - Discounts, free games monthly, automatic updates, cloud saves and online games. 

 

With gold on the one so far I have gotten nothing I don't already pay for except playing games online.  I think its a sham but I want to play online so I'll keep buying it :(.

bwalker36 is offline  
post #12155 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post


Can you download from the store without gold?  Because if you are unable to then you cannot even watch movies lol.  They really need incentives though.  There is no benefit to gold that PSN doesn't give you for free.  When you get Plus you get - Discounts, free games monthly, automatic updates, cloud saves and online games. 

With gold on the one so far I have gotten nothing I don't already pay for except playing games online.  I think its a sham but I want to play online so I'll keep buying it frown.gif.

yes you can. I have a silver account that I used to use strictly for my movie/TV VOD rentals/purchases on XBL(as well as music purchases for my Zune) But I haven't used it for a while now. It actually made things more difficult now since my VOD purchases are split between my XBL Gold and Silver account. So I would need to log into my silver account to access that content. I haven't even messed with that silver account on my XBOne yet. I guess I should do it this week since I will be setting up a secondary XBOne.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #12156 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
ElectronicTonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post


Can you download from the store without gold? 
I don't know, that's a good question. Like I said, I've always had gold.

Apparently you can. Lol, I'm slow.....
ElectronicTonic is offline  
post #12157 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post


I don't know anything about tivo, but I do not support microsoft's position on needing a gold subscription for internet services outside of gaming.  Hell I don't even think we should have to pay for gaming to be honest (Especially when there are no servers....I hate paying to use something I already pay for) and I think gold is going to need to get to where ps plus is or people will start to get angry. 

Gold has gotten me nothing for free yet, but on PS+ I already got a 15 dollar game that is awesome. 

I really don't get how you complain about not getting anything for free after paying for Gold to game online which is what the primary purpose is for and then mention about PS+ which is basically Gamefly without the option to choose what you want vs what they offer each month. Your not getting free anything with PS+ because you have to pay to play those "free" games or subcribe again to access the games in order to keep playing them. Games for Gold allows you to get games they also choose on the 360 for members who have been with them since 2002 or just signed up yesterday to download and "own" the game they choose to give away. You will still have access to those games without a Gold suscription. Whether people think the games are good or not doesn't matter but it is silly to try and claim your getting free games on PS+ when you are paying to have access to play those games each month or year however your suscription is set up.

You bought a One to play games primarily and to game online with a known suscription for 11 years now and who on average buys a 360 or One just to access Netflix or Hulu?

If people are supposed to start getting angry they should have showed that before Sony followed in MS footsteps taking the same concept for online play for free behind a paywall. That was the big thing was to brag about PSN being free until they saw the money being left on the table.
Arutha_conDoin and Cuda1169 like this.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #12158 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Member
 
bwalker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post


I really don't get how you complain about not getting anything for free after paying for Gold to game online which is what the primary purpose is for and then mention about PS+ which is basically Gamefly without the option to choose what you want vs what they offer each month. Your not getting free anything with PS+ because you have to pay to play those "free" games or subcribe again to access the games in order to keep playing them. Games for Gold allows you to get games they also choose on the 360 for members who have been with them since 2002 or just signed up yesterday to download and "own" the game they choose to give away. You will still have access to those games without a Gold suscription. Whether people think the games are good or not doesn't matter but it is silly to try and claim your getting free games on PS+ when you are paying to have access to play those games each month or year however your suscription is set up.

You bought a One to play games primarily and to game online with a known suscription for 11 years now and who on average buys a 360 or One just to access Netflix or Hulu?


They just released Gears one as one of the games so the content your getting from PS+ is generally more recent (won't say better as its subjective).  Regardless I said the xbox one, I know the 360 gives out free games but there is no upside to gold on the one besides playing games online.  Right now I paid microsoft 5 dollars to play online and sony 5 dollars to play online, cloud storage of save, two free indie games (one of which I think is amazing) as long as I'm a member and play online). 

 

Not to mention that you cannot use IE without gold or any real internet service on the xbox.

 

It is of my opinion that Live gold is garbage compared to PS+.  I would much prefer Microsoft to follow sony on the subscription side of things.  The majority of my console playing is single player so I could get by without gold no problem, I would miss out on some stuff as I like to play multiplayer from time to time which is why I do pay for it.  However I pay for PS+ because of all the freebies.  All the arcade and full PS3 games i have gotten to enjoy that I normally would not have because of it is astounding. 

 

Edit: As a followup.  GWG will be on the xbox starting in 2014 I read.  We will see what types of content they give and its only two games.  You also get discounts from PS+.  I will admit being able to keep the game regardless of subscription is cool but I did take a look at the list of games and it was pretty lackluster.  And with needing both to play online I think that makes PS+ even better since you will most likely have it anyway.  And you get it all back when you re subscribe. 

 

Even more lets look at January:

 

Xbox 360:  Sleeping dogs, Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light

 

Xbox one:  N/A

 

PS4: Don't Starve

Ps3: Bioshock Infinite, DMC and Brothers

Vita: Worms(psp) and Smart as

 

I would rather rent those for a month for 5 than own the other two.  I personally feel PS+ provides a lot more value for its price.  While offering the other services for free.

bwalker36 is offline  
post #12159 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Scott_lb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post


They just released Gears one as one of the games so the content your getting from PS+ is generally more recent (won't say better as its subjective).  Regardless I said the xbox one, I know the 360 gives out free games but there is no upside to gold on the one besides playing games online.  Right now I paid microsoft 5 dollars to play online and sony 5 dollars to play online, cloud storage of save, two free indie games (one of which I think is amazing) as long as I'm a member and play online). 

Not to mention that you cannot use IE without gold or any real internet service on the xbox.

It is of my opinion that Live gold is garbage compared to PS+.  I would much prefer Microsoft to follow sony on the subscription side of things.  The majority of my console playing is single player so I could get by without gold no problem, I would miss out on some stuff as I like to play multiplayer from time to time which is why I do pay for it.  However I pay for PS+ because of all the freebies.  All the arcade and full PS3 games i have gotten to enjoy that I normally would not have because of it is astounding. 

Edit: As a followup.  GWG will be on the xbox starting in 2014 I read.  We will see what types of content they give and its only two games.  You also get discounts from PS+.  I will admit being able to keep the game regardless of subscription is cool but I did take a look at the list of games and it was pretty lackluster.  And with needing both to play online I think that makes PS+ even better since you will most likely have it anyway.  And you get it all back when you re subscribe. 

Even more lets look at January:

Xbox 360:  Sleeping dogs, Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light

Xbox one:  N/A

PS4: Don't Starve
Ps3: Bioshock Infinite, DMC and Brothers
Vita: Worms(psp) and Smart as

I would rather rent those for a month for 5 than own the other two.  I personally feel PS+ provides a lot more value for its price.  While offering the other services for free.

I've only had PS+ since I picked up my PS4 two weeks ago. I've been a Gold member for many years and enjoy it and will continue to maintain my membership. However, I will say that I was very surprised (in a good way!) at the sheer amount of games you receive from being a PS+ member vs. a Gold member - great discounts on top of that as well. Again, I'll keep both memberships active as $50 per year ($35 on sale, really) for an entire year per console is little to me. But, I am really liking what Sony is doing...
Scott_lb is offline  
post #12160 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Member
 
TheLaw612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post

Watched a movie (DVD of 'The Wolverine') for the first time last night on the Xbox One. I'm using the Optical out to my receiver, and noticed that the audio didn't always sync. Anyone else see this? Never had a problem with games...

I'm using HDMI only and this happened to my wife and I the other night... Really frustrating that my 5 year old PS3 is still the better option for watching blu-rays. I wanted to move the PS3 to another room and exclusively use the XB1 but it doesn't look like that is going to happen until an update from MS comes out to fix the issue...

TheLaw612 is online now  
post #12161 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 16,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's so useless without the gold sub that I think it's fair to say you need the sub for it to function. Is there even anyone posting here that's got an Xbox one that isn't a gold sub?

I guess, I've always had gold. I was just thinking that you could still play single player games and watch movies, on disc.

Yes, you can. You can do anything other than play multiplayer games and use some subscription VOD services without a Gold account (I believe that you can use pay-per-viewing-period video services like VUDU and CinemaNow without Gold). "Useless without the gold sub" is BS hyperbole.

In fact, given the way that I use it (no multiplayer gaming and I don't choose to burn 80W+ to watch Netflix, etc, when I can do it with a <2W Roku 2), I probably don't need Gold, though I've subscribed since it launched on original recipe Xbox (I think that I was still interested in MP back then).

Understand that I'm not defending MS' paywall, particularly as it pertains to Netflix and the like.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #12162 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post


They just released Gears one as one of the games so the content your getting from PS+ is generally more recent (won't say better as its subjective).  Regardless I said the xbox one, I know the 360 gives out free games but there is no upside to gold on the one besides playing games online.  Right now I paid microsoft 5 dollars to play online and sony 5 dollars to play online, cloud storage of save, two free indie games (one of which I think is amazing) as long as I'm a member and play online). 

Not to mention that you cannot use IE without gold or any real internet service on the xbox.

It is of my opinion that Live gold is garbage compared to PS+.  I would much prefer Microsoft to follow sony on the subscription side of things.  The majority of my console playing is single player so I could get by without gold no problem, I would miss out on some stuff as I like to play multiplayer from time to time which is why I do pay for it.  However I pay for PS+ because of all the freebies.  All the arcade and full PS3 games i have gotten to enjoy that I normally would not have because of it is astounding. 

Edit: As a followup.  GWG will be on the xbox starting in 2014 I read.  We will see what types of content they give and its only two games.  You also get discounts from PS+.  I will admit being able to keep the game regardless of subscription is cool but I did take a look at the list of games and it was pretty lackluster.  And with needing both to play online I think that makes PS+ even better since you will most likely have it anyway.  And you get it all back when you re subscribe. 

Even more lets look at January:

Xbox 360:  Sleeping dogs, Tomb Raider: Guardians of Light

Xbox one:  N/A

PS4: Don't Starve
Ps3: Bioshock Infinite, DMC and Brothers
Vita: Worms(psp) and Smart as

I would rather rent those for a month for 5 than own the other two.  I personally feel PS+ provides a lot more value for its price.  While offering the other services for free.

And those two games were actually available for free on PS plus a long time ago. Just when I thought they couldn't make the difference between the two any more dramatic, they top themselves yet again.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #12163 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Cuda1169's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

If people are supposed to start getting angry they should have showed that before Sony followed in MS footsteps taking the same concept for online play for free behind a paywall. That was the big thing was to brag about PSN being free until they saw the money being left on the table.

Agreed. Plus Sony realized they could offer a better and more reliable online gaming experience if they used the "pay to play" monies to upgrade their services like MS continually does.
Cuda1169 is offline  
post #12164 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mikeloxlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicagoland aka Wes-Burbs, Illinois
Posts: 6,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
copy-pasta from http://thevikingfrog.com/2013/11/28/analyze-xbox-live-gold-vs-playstation-plus/
Quote:
The Big Differences

Both services allow you to play games, both services offer free games. Xbox does it by giving you those games pretty much forever whether or not you have Xbox Live Gold. PlayStation does it by giving you those games until you’re PS+ subscription is up.

PS+

Pros: Get more recent and more relevant games at no additional cost. Decent discounts on new and old titles.

Cons: Those games become inaccessible once your PS+ Subscription runs out.



XBL Gold

Pros: Get 2 free games every month and keep them, no matter what.

Cons: The games are either cheap arcade games or older titles that may not be as relevant anymore.



Final Analysis

For some people the subscription fee is a necessary expense for online play, so the free games and perks are always a bonus of either service. However PS+ on the PS3 and PS4 differ greatly because one requires it for online multiplayer. I feel that PS+ is more worth it on the PS4 but not so much on the PS3 since the online multiplayer is free. XBL Gold has always been the same from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One, except Xbox One servers are dedicated and has some slightly upgraded features.

This post isn’t supposed to point out which service is better, there are many more factors to consider to determine which one is best, and even then it’s more preference than it is fact. I have both the Xbox One and PS4 sitting in my living room, the big decision I have to make is which one is going to be my main console and which one is an exclusives machine? It all comes down to what my friends are going to be playing on. If my friends are all playing Destiny, COD, BF4 and other multiplayer games on Xbox One, that will be my main console. But if they opt to get the PS4 and play most games on that then that is where my online subscription will be.

I'm right there with this guy...pretty much word for word

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
mikeloxlong is offline  
post #12165 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zBuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't think it's fair comparing it to the PS3, as that console is a superb Bluray player. Many here on AVSforums, bought one just to play movies on. and it compared favourable to a lot of high end players at the time.
zBuff is offline  
post #12166 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 7,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

And those two games were actually available for free on PS plus a long time ago. Just when I thought they couldn't make the difference between the two any more dramatic, they top themselves yet again.


Again how is it free on PS+ when you are paying to access these games? Neither system is offering free games. You have to pay to access those games. On both systems you have a limited time to access those games and on one system you have to keep paying to access those games if you downloaded them. What good does it do me to care if the game is available to access if I have no intentions to run through them again. I am too busy playing new games on my new system. I can see a benefit for me with the PS4 with + when I get the system but for the PS3 the program was too late for me. I already own or play those games. I only played exclusives on the PS3 and used the BR player. I shouldn't need to buy a single game on the PS4 since we are at a start and basically get a discounted prescription like I do on Live just to access games down the road. I don't see the point of buying any game on the PS4 now or later if they are going to offer it for me to pay a one time price for access to whatever games I see interesting to play. That might be the case on the One as well depending on what the program will be when they announce it.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
post #12167 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
It's "free" in the sense that since MP is behind the paywall on either side, the sub feels like a basic requirement, and the games come at no extra charge.

For what it's worth, if I had my way I'd rather pay less and not get the "free" games, but since it's a package deal, the quality of the game offering can be a deciding factor. People dedicated to one platform don't seem to understand how much of a barrier that sub is. It's only a couple of bucks a month, but now there's two platforms demanding a couple bucks a month. That makes it much more difficult to justify having multiple platforms, and the game offerings make up for that. If I knew I'd get at least 2-3 decent, relatively recent games for the X1 out of a gold sub, I'd be way more inclined to get back on the Xbox train.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #12168 of 16904 Old 12-30-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I finished setting up my second XBOne. I just need to wait for the Kinect mount to be delivered for the LCD I will be using it with.

I wanted to download all the games and apps that I have on my main XBOne. I could have missed it but I didn't see an option to have it automatically download everything. So I went through and had to manually select the several dozen apps and games to install.

Did I need to do this or would the installs have happened automatically if I would have just left it overnight?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #12169 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
number1laing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just got a Xbox One. I really like what they did with the voice commands and cable pass-through, but other stuff clearly needs work like the party system and achievements app. My guess is that the OS will change quite a bit over the next year or two. I think MS is on to something here. And the controller is really good.

PS+ is a cool feature for sure but I've always felt that Sony has trailed MS on networking and features and after playing with my XO tonight I really doubt that has changed. I also wonder how sustainable PS+ "free" games is in its current state, they give away relatively new and desirable games after all. Sony probably spent tens of millions of dollars on DriveClub but were all set to give it to people for free on day one in order to push subs.
number1laing is offline  
post #12170 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bailey151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's "free" in the sense that since MP is behind the paywall on either side, the sub feels like a basic requirement, and the games come at no extra charge.............. I'd be way more inclined to get back on the Xbox train.
We get it, you're not an Xbox fan........you continue to post here why? Go enjoy the uni-tasker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I just got a Xbox One. I really like what they did with the voice commands and cable pass-through, but other stuff clearly needs work like the party system and achievements app. My guess is that the OS will change quite a bit over the next year or two. I think MS is on to something here. And the controller is really good.
I'd agree - pretty damn slick for this early in the life cycle. It has some bugs but overall it works pretty well & gives a glimpse of how far out MS is thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

.........PS+ is a cool feature for sure but I've always felt that Sony has trailed MS on networking and features and after playing with my XO tonight I really doubt that has changed..............
Well pretty much that's because Sony couldn't spell "software" of you spotted them all but the last "e".

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
Bailey151 is online now  
post #12171 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 05:33 AM
Senior Member
 
rdethloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just got a new receiver for Christmas (Onkyo TX-NR818) and posted the following in the official thread here on AVS. I thought I might get more xbox-centric tips from some of you guys as well.

Some XB1 settings I'm using include:
5.1 uncompressed
surround pass-through enabled
Quote:
Greetings all,
Is there a general tips & tricks post for getting the most out of the 818? I just installed this beast to replaced my (very) old Onkyo, and I think this might be too much receiver for me right now lol. The only components I have running into it at the moment is an xbox 360, and an xbox one. The cable box runs into the XB1 and then out to the 818. This then feeds to my TV (Sony 55EX710)...using HDMI for all connections. My speaker setup is 5.1.

I ran the Audyssey set-up, and that seemed to calibrate the speakers nicely. There are just so many settings and different audio profiles, I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.
rdethloff is offline  
post #12172 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I finished setting up my second XBOne. I just need to wait for the Kinect mount to be delivered for the LCD I will be using it with.

I wanted to download all the games and apps that I have on my main XBOne. I could have missed it but I didn't see an option to have it automatically download everything. So I went through and had to manually select the several dozen apps and games to install.

Did I need to do this or would the installs have happened automatically if I would have just left it overnight?

I think your games saves will sync, but I have not heard of the games automatically downloading. I assume they would not have that feature to prevent people with bandwidth limits from having gigs of games being downloaded without their knowledge.
spid is online now  
post #12173 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

I think your games saves will sync, but I have not heard of the games automatically downloading. I assume they would not have that feature to prevent people with bandwidth limits from having gigs of games being downloaded without their knowledge.

This morning I checked it out and everything had downloaded while in standby but everything had not installed. I'm guessing it didn't install because my profile was probably not logged in. Once I logged in this morning then I had to go to each download and tell to try installing again. Some of them installed while in standby but I'm guessing that was before whatever time limit they have before I was logged out.

At least the XBOne does download properly in standby. It was using under 19 watts while downloading in standby. Right now the PS4 uses around 70 while downloading in standby. But each systems has some things working and some things not working properly yet.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #12174 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I finished setting up my second XBOne. I just need to wait for the Kinect mount to be delivered for the LCD I will be using it with.

I wanted to download all the games and apps that I have on my main XBOne. I could have missed it but I didn't see an option to have it automatically download everything. So I went through and had to manually select the several dozen apps and games to install.

Did I need to do this or would the installs have happened automatically if I would have just left it overnight?

I'm curious, what did the home screen show when you first logged in? Did it look like a brand new Xbox or did it pull up your home screen exactly as you had it on the other one?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #12175 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm curious, what did the home screen show when you first logged in? Did it look like a brand new Xbox or did it pull up your home screen exactly as you had it on the other one?
Once I entered my Gamertag it still had me pick a background color. And no games or apps had been downloaded yet so I don't think it would have looked the same yet, but I don't know for sure since I didn't compare it. I went straight to downloading the games and apps after I setup my devices and KINECT.

Now that everything is downloaded I'll need to compare the screens to see if they look the same. But I won't get a chance to do it until tomorrow afternoon.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #12176 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm curious, what did the home screen show when you first logged in? Did it look like a brand new Xbox or did it pull up your home screen exactly as you had it on the other one?
I would think MS would want you to customize to each console and not just have your account override each console. Some of us may pick a background color based on what room we are in wink.gif

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #12177 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I would think MS would want you to customize to each console and not just have your account override each console. Some of us may pick a background color based on what room we are in wink.gif

BAsed on what they showed at launch, you are suppsoed to be able to log in on another console and it will know your background settings etc. and change them accordingly. That is what happened in the demos they showed.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #12178 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

BAsed on what they showed at launch, you are suppsoed to be able to log in on another console and it will know your background settings etc. and change them accordingly. That is what happened in the demos they showed.
Hmmm. How about it is coming in a future update? biggrin.gif Strange that it did not work right then.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #12179 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Hmmm. How about it is coming in a future update? biggrin.gif Strange that it did not work right then.

I'm thinking it didn't work because that was my first login on that machine. Now that everything is setup, I'll change it on my Primary XBOne and then when I login to the secondary XBOne I can see if things change on that too.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #12180 of 16904 Old 12-31-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I'm thinking it didn't work because that was my first login on that machine. Now that everything is setup, I'll change it on my Primary XBOne and then when I login to the secondary XBOne I can see if things change on that too.
let us know how it goes. I doubt I am getting a second Xbox one anytime soon, unless I happen to win one.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off