post #12331 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I've only tried one of those codes. I think it was included with my Day One console. That worked very well. I just held it up and it read it right away.
Yea the paper QR codes will not have a problem with the Kinect. QR codes on the phone have the the bright glare problem if the display is set to high on the phone. I turned mine all the way down and my display was dim which the Kinec was then able to read the QR code from Major Nelson's Twitter account.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12332 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I've only tried one of those codes. I think it was included with my Day One console. That worked very well. I just held it up and it read it right away.
But it would seem he's using a LCD screen & trying to get the Kinect to read it. Been my experience that it's hit or miss, like trying to scan a bar code off a phone. Probably involves the way LCDs and cameras function.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #12333 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Well, my XB1 stopped working. It started acting wonky on Sunday, put in a Planet Earth Bluray disc and the player app would load, but was stuck on the loading screen frozen. Rebooted the system and none of the apps would load, they would all kick back to the home screen. Games would load fine, but once a game was loaded, my home button wouldn't work..... so it seems the OS partition of the XB1 was jacked up.

Called Xbox support Sunday night and did a "hard" reboot, press power button for 10 seconds then unplug console from power 2 minutes. This fixed the problem kind of. Netflix and a few other apps were still crashing the next day, although they would eventually work.

This morning went to put on planet earth again and blu ray froze again. Rebooted system and now there is no video signal to my tv, the light on the XB1 and kinect are on, but my TV gets no video feed......lame as hell.

Did 4 "hard" reboots this am as well to no avail.

Called customer support on my way to work and they recommended trying a different "hard" reboot:

- unplug power from back of xb1
- hold down power button for 1 minute
- plug XB1 power back in
- turn on

If that doesn't work, the support guy sent emailed me a link to a file I need to load onto a USB stick to do an offline factory reset. Load file onto USB stick, stick into XB1, power XB1 on by holding down sync button, eject button, and power button all at the same time.

I'll try those "fixes" out tonight.

All in all this is a royal pain in the ass. Makes me wish I had bought the system at Costsco so I could just go exchange it. Gonna try and milk this to get a game code or something.....anyone have similar experiences?
I noticed last evening that my Xbox wouldn't recognize my Tivo input through its HDMI-in. I kept trying to tell it to watch TV, it would attempt to do so, but after about a minute it would give me a message telling me it couldn't start up. I tried "rebooting" (although just exiting out to standby mode) the Xbox several times and even opened other apps in the meantime, but now that you mention it, I think some of them might have shut down while they were trying to load. I do remember that the Netflix app fully loaded. I closed the TV app using the app's menu option and restarted the app with no luck. I then decided to just plug the Tivo directly into my receiver so I could watch TV. When I went to power everything down for the night to go to bed, I said, "Xbox, turn off" and "Yes". The Xbox itself shut down, but it didn't send a signal to my TV and receiver as it usually does. I wanted to do a full shutdown (not standby) to see if that would fix the problems, but I couldn't quickly figure out how to shut it down completely and was just ready to go to bed. So I figured I'd research it today and try it this evening. I hope I don't have what you have.

I feel your pain, though. My PS4 died over the weekend. I am awaiting the coffin to send it off for a replacement.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #12334 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 841
I need to make sure I get the extended warranty on my second XBOne. I forgot to register it from the MS Aussie site, so the extended warranty will run out sooner than my Launch XBOne will.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12335 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Well, my XB1 stopped working. It started acting wonky on Sunday, put in a Planet Earth Bluray disc and the player app would load, but was stuck on the loading screen frozen. Rebooted the system and none of the apps would load, they would all kick back to the home screen. Games would load fine, but once a game was loaded, my home button wouldn't work..... so it seems the OS partition of the XB1 was jacked up.

Called Xbox support Sunday night and did a "hard" reboot, press power button for 10 seconds then unplug console from power 2 minutes. This fixed the problem kind of. Netflix and a few other apps were still crashing the next day, although they would eventually work.

This morning went to put on planet earth again and blu ray froze again. Rebooted system and now there is no video signal to my tv, the light on the XB1 and kinect are on, but my TV gets no video feed......lame as hell.

Did 4 "hard" reboots this am as well to no avail.

Called customer support on my way to work and they recommended trying a different "hard" reboot:

- plug XB1 power back in
- turn on

If that doesn't work, the support guy sent emailed me a link to a file I need to load onto a USB stick to do an offline factory reset. Load file onto USB stick, stick into XB1, power XB1 on by holding down sync button, eject button, and power button all at the same time.

I'll try those "fixes" out tonight.

All in all this is a royal pain in the ass. Makes me wish I had bought the system at Costsco so I could just go exchange it. Gonna try and milk this to get a game code or something.....anyone have similar experiences?

Update, my wife did the different "hard" reboot and everything seems to be working.... for now....
dbburns and freemeat like this.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #12336 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

- plug XB1 power back in
- turn on

This part seems a little strange. What would holding the power button do if the console is unplugged? Isn't it a touch sensitive "button", not an actual physical button (not sure how to describe that). If so, it wouldn't register anything if the system had no power.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #12337 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

This part seems a little strange. What would holding the power button do if the console is unplugged? Isn't it a touch sensitive "button", not an actual physical button (not sure how to describe that). If so, it wouldn't register anything if the system had no power.

I thought the same thing and made sure to double check with the tech rep while I was on the phone. Either way, it seemed to work for now.

post #12338 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
It seems that I am not the only one getting some weird X1 behavior eh?

this past weekend, while watching TV, the XBOX decides to send a turn everything off command to all my devices. Out of the blue, the TV shuts off, the receiver shuts of and my OTA tuner shuts off. XBOX Is still on and the Kinect is on. I know because the lights are on.

Mind you that the remotes are high and away from the kids, the game controller is also not near the kids. TV was in a reasonable listening level. Strange.

So I turn things back on and there's no audio or video. WTF!?!??!??!?!?!?

This is after the XBOX stopped responding to my voice commands out of the blue to which I did a soft reset by holding the power button down but I digress.

I had to do a soft reset again to get the XBOX to properly sync with my devices.

The next day, I couldn't get it to turn on via voice command. So an update must have been deployed? I had to press the button and have it power on and start working.

mind you that my XBOX is on all the damn time. Games and TV plus Hulu and Netflix.

was there an update that got deployed recently? This is kind of aggravating especially when I'm not sure what's going on.

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #12339 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

I should have been much clearer in my post. I was referring to newly released games where MS is the publisher. Any time I've seen new games from other publishers discounted at the MS store it was for preorders only. Once they hit that release date the price goes up to full MSRP and usually stays there for a least 90 days. If it's a title where MS is the publisher, it's even longer.
For new titles released on disc by other publishers they can but usually won't because they still want these same retailers to carry titles they publish. It's all about being a "good retail partner."

As far as new titles being sold cheaper as a DD, most of us here would like nothing better. What's likely preventing that from happening is the same reason as above. Even though it's a "different product," MS and other publishers still wouldn't want to step on the toes of their retail partners.

Honestly though, if MS's original plan had went through and Sony had followed suit with all games being DD only, do you really believe any of these publishers would ask less money for their games? I don't think they would. Pricing will be just like it is now. Full price upon release and then gradual price drops over time.

Other than convenience why purchase DD at all? If Amazon, Best Buy etc. continue to offer cheaper physical media what incentive do we have to purchase DD from MS or Sony? I downloaded Forza and DR3 at full price and purchased Ryse and CoD Ghosts for ~$47ea from Amazon with 2 day prime shipping at no additional cost. Convenience will be trumped by cheaper price points.
centking likes this.
post #12340 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Other than convenience why purchase DD at all? If Amazon, Best Buy etc. continue to offer cheaper physical media what incentive do we have to purchase DD from MS or Sony? I downloaded Forza and DR3 at full price and purchased Ryse and CoD Ghosts for ~$47ea from Amazon with 2 day prime shipping at no additional cost. Convenience will be trumped by cheaper price points.

Because the experience is a night a day difference between using discs and using Digital downloads. There is no way I'm ever going back to Disc based games. Even with the higher price, it just means i will buy fewer games. The experience is so seamless with Digital Downloads. It's something that really makes the new systems seem next gen.
beach scrub likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12341 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

I noticed last evening that my Xbox wouldn't recognize my Tivo input through its HDMI-in. I kept trying to tell it to watch TV, it would attempt to do so, but after about a minute it would give me a message telling me it couldn't start up. I tried "rebooting" (although just exiting out to standby mode) the Xbox several times and even opened other apps in the meantime, but now that you mention it, I think some of them might have shut down while they were trying to load. I do remember that the Netflix app fully loaded. I closed the TV app using the app's menu option and restarted the app with no luck. I then decided to just plug the Tivo directly into my receiver so I could watch TV. When I went to power everything down for the night to go to bed, I said, "Xbox, turn off" and "Yes". The Xbox itself shut down, but it didn't send a signal to my TV and receiver as it usually does. I wanted to do a full shutdown (not standby) to see if that would fix the problems, but I couldn't quickly figure out how to shut it down completely and was just ready to go to bed. So I figured I'd research it today and try it this evening. I hope I don't have what you have.

I feel your pain, though. My PS4 died over the weekend. I am awaiting the coffin to send it off for a replacement.

I had this same issue several weeks ago. I had to do a factory reset to fix it, but it's worked fine ever since.
dbburns likes this.
post #12342 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Because the experience is a night a day difference between using discs and using Digital downloads. There is no way I'm ever going back to Disc based games. Even with the higher price, it just means i will buy fewer games. The experience is so seamless with Digital Downloads. It's something that really makes the new systems seem next gen.

Agree wholeheartedly. But many will be unwilling to pay a higher price for DD than physical media. eReaders would not be very popular if you had to pay the same price for a digital book as you would for hardback or paperback. The same principal applies to software and games. Even movies. The Avengers Bluray runs 24.99 on Amazon but the HD DD is $10 dollars cheaper to own. The price of MS and Sony DD games will have to come down.
post #12343 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I had this same issue several weeks ago. I had to do a factory reset to fix it, but it's worked fine ever since.

Factory reset, I am dreading having to do this. I assume you mean reset everyhting.... i.e. erase all content, settings and games..... were you also having app crash issues?

post #12344 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

Factory reset, I am dreading having to do this. I assume you mean reset everyhting.... i.e. erase all content, settings and games..... were you also having app crash issues?

The only app that was crashing for me was the TV app, and this had the side effect of the IR blaster not sending commands. Under Settings, you can go to System > Restore factory defaults. Aside from having to reinstall games and reconfiguring Kinect, I don't recall having to do anything else (your game saves, etc, are stored in the cloud). Good luck!
dbburns likes this.
post #12345 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

eReaders would not be very popular if you had to pay the same price for a digital book as you would for hardback or paperback.

You wanna read the latest bestsellers you will pay the same or more as at least the mass market paperback if not the hardcover. People pay for e-books because of the convenience, not because they're generally any cheaper. I run out of things to read and I can have a new novel in literally a matter of seconds after choosing one.

It's the same for console game DDs. I only play single player campaigns; it's not important to me to get games when they launch so I wait for the DD to come down in price or go on sale. The convenience of not having to get off my bump to go out and get the disc (even as far as the mailbox) or to find the disc when I want to play is why I buy them. I have 25 "full" games as DDs for the 360, 10 or 12 for PS3 and don't foresee myself ever buying a game on disc for Xbox One or PS4 (when I inevitably get one).

The big innovation of the Xbox One over the 360 in that regard is the ability to jump directly to a game with a single voice command. You can get to a game by voice with 360 Kinect, but you have to fish around through menus and browsers as you would with a pad.
spid, Bailey151 and Cuda1169 like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #12346 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

The only app that was crashing for me was the TV app, and this had the side effect of the IR blaster not sending commands. Under Settings, you can go to System > Restore factory defaults. Aside from having to reinstall games and reconfiguring Kinect, I don't recall having to do anything else (your game saves, etc, are stored in the cloud). Good luck!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My Tivo "passthrough" works again. Pain in the ass to have to redownload everything, but it beats a call to Xbox CS. They better patch this soon, as this fix will be much worse when my game library is larger.

post #12347 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 

Convenience really is the only factor that I can think of at this point in time. I usually preorder and save $10 - $20 on a game and really don't mind getting up and changing a disc if I have to. I seriously doubt we'll see DD's cheaper than discs for newly released titles for at least the next few years.
post #12348 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
How soon before MS has something like this for the Xbox One ?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5284504/sony-playstation-now-gaikai-based-streaming-service-ps-ps2-ps3

I think it's a pretty sweet idea.
post #12349 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Both companies talked about game streaming as a "solution" to backward compatibility prior to launch. Sony is being proactive about it; perhaps MS will take up the challenge.

post #12350 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

How soon before MS has something like this for the Xbox One ?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5284504/sony-playstation-now-gaikai-based-streaming-service-ps-ps2-ps3

I think it's a pretty sweet idea.
It will be interesting to see how good this plays out for Sony. I like the idea, but I wonder how good a connection speed. Hell there are times there issues with streaming videos now and then, I can't imagine playing a game with the up and down data to worry about as well.
americangunner likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #12351 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

It will be interesting to see how good this plays out for Sony. I like the idea, but I wonder how good a connection speed. Hell there are times there issues with streaming videos now and then, I can't imagine playing a game with the up and down data to worry about as well.
You're right. It's great in theory, but I doubt most places will actually be able to handle it.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #12352 of 17934 Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OnLive is still out there streaming PC games at 720p for just over 3 years (recommending a 5 Mbps connection). I tried it at one point just to see what it's about and it works, though PC gaming at that resolution seems a bit sad. I recall that their service's UI was impressive as hell. They had an ability to capture and post clips of your gaming much like XB1's.

post #12353 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 417
A demo is out for Lego Marvel Heroes.
post #12354 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

A demo is out for Lego Marvel Heroes.

When I went to bing for demos it only show the first four original demos. I binged the game and the demo was one of the options.

The 5.0 is here
post #12355 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

When I went to bing for demos it only show the first four original demos. I binged the game and the demo was one of the options.

Check the demo section of the games tab. I did the same thing at first and I got the same result, but the demo is out.
post #12356 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Convenience really is the only factor that I can think of at this point in time. I usually preorder and save $10 - $20 on a game and really don't mind getting up and changing a disc if I have to. I seriously doubt we'll see DD's cheaper than discs for newly released titles for at least the next few years.

Count me as one who prefers DD. But I will never pay full price.
DD games need to be at least $10 cheaper then their physical counterpart for at least 2 reasons.
No resale and no production (media) costs.

I purchased the DD of COD Ghosts, simply because the MS store was selling the combo version for $50 and I was able to play it on my 360 weeks before I had a One and when I got my one, I had a game waiting for me.

I bought ACIV on disc and I am glad I did.
When I got my PS4, I wanted to own that version instead.
I was able to sell my disc at Gamestop for $40(!!), use that credit for PSN credit, buy the digital PS3 version of ACIV for $39 and use the free $10 credit in the PS4 box to upgrade to ACIV.
If I had bought ACIV digitally on the Xbox, not only would I have paid not a penny less then $59.99, I would have been stuck with it.

So, unless I see a nice discount, I have to stick with physical media even though it is not preferred.
I bought BF4 at Sam's for $35, I wouldn't have touched it for $60 on the Xbox store.
Now if I don't like it, I can probably get most of that back via trade.
post #12357 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
by holding down the power button with the console unplugged, you are discharging any capacitors on the boards which can save temporary settings for the Bios/ect. It is a good practice to do any hard reboot like that as it makes sure you are not keeping unwanted data due to charged caps.

Dustin
beach scrub likes this.
post #12358 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

So they don't do direct links to demos and games for the Xbox One like they do the Xbox 360? At least I can't find one for the Marvel Heroes demo on their website. Seems kind of strange. How else are you supposed to have stuff waiting for you when you get home if you can't queue it up while at work? I thought that was one of the benefits of leaving your system in standby mode.

post #12359 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

So I ended up doing a factory reset last night, everything seems to work great now. When I logged back in with my gamertag once setup was complete, my home screen was exactly how I left, I just needed to DL all the apps again, a nice touch.

We will see how long this lasts, I am guessing it's a software/system OS problem that will be ironed out during the next update.
dbburns likes this.

post #12360 of 17934 Old 01-08-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
My sound output keeps setting itself back to 7.1 uncompressed. Anyone else having this issue? I set it to 5.1, but every now in then I'll go in and check my settings and it's back to 7.1

Edit: Gamefly just sent me Ryse!!!

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page