427Likes

post #12601 of 17778 Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx2k1 View Post

Don't know what to tell you. I don't remember doing anything "special" to get the DVD burned. I did it several years ago. I just threw in the XBox One to see if it worked. It did.

Can you do me a favor and grab DVD Identifier and let us know if the copy of AVSHD 709 was burned to a DVD-R? I've heard rumors that only '-R' DVDs work and I'm starting to believe that might be true as all the ones I have used and have seen reported to fail are +R media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

As far as I know the Xbox One will not recognize "burned" media to any digital format(Blu-ray, DVD) However, you can upload the MP4's to Skydrive & play them back.
Awesome idea, I completely forgot about Skydrive. Definitely going to try this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 17778 Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

As far as I know the Xbox One will not recognize "burned" media to any digital format(Blu-ray, DVD) However, you can upload the MP4's to Skydrive & play them back.

Exactly what I did a while back. It worked fine.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #12603 of 17778 Old 01-19-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

Can you do me a favor and grab DVD Identifier and let us know if the copy of AVSHD 709 was burned to a DVD-R? I've heard rumors that only '-R' DVDs work and I'm starting to believe that might be true as all the ones I have used and have seen reported to fail are +R media.
Awesome idea, I completely forgot about Skydrive. Definitely going to try this. Thanks

DVD-R

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AM3]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AM3]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
post #12604 of 17778 Old 01-19-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well that solves that mystery. Thanks for doing that. It makes no sense why only DVD-R media is supported but it is what it is.
post #12605 of 17778 Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I've never even used DVD-R media. I had always used DVD+R and +RW. I don't remember why but it was the early 2000's when I remember using those instead of -R and -RW.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12606 of 17778 Old 01-19-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Exactly. We deserve it after the Future Soldier debacle.

Future Soldier was a lot of fun. Its downfall is no matchmaking for the horde mode. If it had that, I'd still play it as it's impossible to get friends to play that game.

Hated it. Only version I ever disliked. Horde mode would've definitely salvaged it though.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #12607 of 17778 Old 01-20-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Kinda cool. Seemed to work really well for the few titles I tried.

Just point your XB1 Internet Browser to:

http://www.xboxie.com/
post #12608 of 17778 Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Hated it. Only version I ever disliked. Horde mode would've definitely salvaged it though.

+1. Don't know about Horde mode salvaging it. I can't believe they didn't put a TDM mode in there. I didn't buy it for that reason alone.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #12609 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

So has Microsoft mentioned anything about a new update coming? Since the Holiday season is over now I figured they would have something to correct some of the issues and maybe add some features too.

LED DLP
post #12610 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So has Microsoft mentioned anything about a new update coming? Since the Holiday season is over now I figured they would have something to correct some of the issues and maybe add some features too.

If they can fix the Dolby and the TV app compatibility to begin with, that would be best for me.
post #12611 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex View Post

If they can fix the Dolby and the TV app compatibility to begin with, that would be best for me.

I think that will be something that will be gradually fixed over time. As they get it to work with more and more devices. For instance with my TiVos it works fine, except for the surround audio coming out of the rear surrounds. But that issue also plagues the apps as well.

LED DLP
post #12612 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
well i guess i have to eat my words. Numerous people claimed that companies paid people to talk positive about their product and I said there is no way that sony/ms/N would stoop that low. I will admit that i was wrong... maybe i am naive, but i honestly didn't think that billion dollar companies would do something like this..

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/21/report-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-coverage

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/2014/01/17/microsoft-is-offering-youtube-personalities-good-money-to-promote-xbox-one/

http://puu.sh/6oI0g.png

http://pastebin.com/vec6vjv5

http://kotaku.com/sketchy-promo-plan-pays-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-1505260408?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow
post #12613 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
I don't understand the hooplah, this doesn't seem all that different than buying ads. It's not like this was some super secret program?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #12614 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

well i guess i have to eat my words. Numerous people claimed that companies paid people to talk positive about their product and I said there is no way that sony/ms/N would stoop that low. I will admit that i was wrong... maybe i am naive, but i honestly didn't think that billion dollar companies would do something like this........
biggrin.gif They all do that......billion $$$ or not. Remember back to the beginning of this thread..........you can bet there were more than a couple of the posters paid by Sony to howl about the DRM issue. Talking things viral, seems to be effective in the age of "it must be true I read it on the internets" smile.gif

Forums, youtube, blogs - all venues for this promoting or deriding behavior. As I said just venture back to the windbags ranting about DRM in this very thread.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #12615 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I don't understand the hooplah, this doesn't seem all that different than buying ads. It's not like this was some super secret program?

did you not read the links? you know they are ads so that is completely different then "taking money under the table", not disclosing it and acting like you are unbiased, it is exactly what the FTC tries to prevent..

it is basically illegal. Every single one of our CE speakers who speak or publish any work HAVE to disclose any monetary benefits they receive from my company.
FTC states "If there’s a connection between the endorser and the marketer of the product that would affect how people evaluate the endorsement, it should be disclosed."

http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/press-releases/ftc-publishes-final-guides-governing-endorsements-testimonials/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf

and yes i am surprised. i know people have screamed about "people getting paid to post in forums, etc." but i hadn't seen any real evidence of that. And look I am in sales (for over a decade) so i understand the importance of driving business, etc.. i honestly didn't think there was stuff quite like this going on...

also how can you say it was not secret?? once again did you read the agreement?? I cut and pasted below straight from the contract...

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above. You understand that You may not post a copy of this Agreement or any terms thereof online or share them with any third party (other than a legal or financial representative). You agree that You have read the Nondisclosure Agreement (attached hereto and marked as Exhibit “A”) and You understand and agree to all of terms of the Nondisclosure Agreement, which is incorporated as part of this Agreement

maybe i am missing something, but I am assuming you read the agreement, etc.. before posting, so how was it not "secret", when the contract states you must keep it secret?
post #12616 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

did you not read the links? you know they are ads so that is completely different then "taking money under the table", not disclosing it and acting like you are unbiased, it is exactly what the FTC tries to prevent..

it is basically illegal. Every single one of our CE speakers who speak or publish any work HAVE to disclose any monetary benefits they receive from my company.
http://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/press-releases/ftc-publishes-final-guides-governing-endorsements-testimonials/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf

and yes i am surprised. i know people have screamed about "people getting paid to post in forums, etc." but i hadn't seen any real evidence of that. And look I am in sales (for over a decade) so i understand the importance of driving business, etc.. i honestly didn't think there was stuff quite like this going on...

also how can you say it was not secret?? once again did you read the agreement?? I cut and pasted below straight from the contract...

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above. You understand that You may not post a copy of this Agreement or any terms thereof online or share them with any third party (other than a legal or financial representative). You agree that You have read the Nondisclosure Agreement (attached hereto and marked as Exhibit “A”) and You understand and agree to all of terms of the Nondisclosure Agreement, which is incorporated as part of this Agreement

maybe i am missing something, but I am assuming you read the agreement, etc.. before posting, so how was it not "secret", when the contract states you must keep it secret?

Based on the agreement, it doesn't seem like anyone actually needed to endorse the Xbox one, just mention the game they're showing was being played on it.

I hadn't realized there was an NDA, but since they're asking you to publicly tag the video, an NDA seems kinda silly.

post #12617 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on the agreement, it doesn't seem like anyone actually needed to endorse the Xbox one, just mention the game they're showing was being played on it.

look i don't want to go back and forth. PLEASE read the agreement before commenting...once again i will cut and paste straight from the agreement..
2. You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its Games in your Campaign Video;
post #12618 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

look i don't want to go back and forth. PLEASE read the agreement before commenting...once again i will cut and paste straight from the agreement..
2. You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its Games in your Campaign Video;

Well I'd hardly expect them to pay for you to **** on their console. But I don't see anywhere that you need to say something positive or defend it in any way (which is what I'd consider a paid shill.)

post #12619 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I'd hardly expect them to pay for you to **** on their console. But I don't see anywhere that you need to say something positive or defend it in any way (which is what I'd consider a paid shill.)

ok whatever. so if you post a video you have one of three options
1. say positive and negatives = don't get paid
2. say negatives only = don't get paid
3. say positive = get paid

if you cannot say ANYTHING negative, that only leaves you saying something positive... i feel like i am taking crazy pills right now..
post #12620 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ok whatever. so if you post a video you have one of three options
1. say positive and negatives = don't get paid
2. say negatives only = don't get paid
3. say positive = get paid

if you cannot say ANYTHING negative, that only leaves you saying something positive... i feel like i am taking crazy pills right now..

I'd think if you were to make an editorial video specifically on the topic of your thoughts on the Xbox one or a game, that'd be crossing an ethical line.

But from the looks of it, someone showing a random ass game clip just needs to mention they're showing it on an Xbox, and they qualify.

post #12621 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Anyone having streaming issues with Netflix? especially during peak hours? I get better results on my PS4. Theres a few threads on the XBox forums, but was just checking to see if anyone else is having issues.
post #12622 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Anyone having streaming issues with Netflix? especially during peak hours? I get better results on my PS4. Theres a few threads on the XBox forums, but was just checking to see if anyone else is having issues.

Yes, and I saw an article where they tested it, its all about NETFLIX and the time of day you watch, has nothing to do with what you play it on.  They ran TV, a console, and a PC at the same time.  Things really take a hit starting around 7pm.

post #12623 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I can say only positive things about Xbox One and I'm not getting paid. Are you still mad?
Arutha_conDoin and mboojigga like this.
post #12624 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 239
How is this situation with paid youtube videos any different than posting a review of a product that was given to the reviewer by the manufacturer? Just look at the IGN review of the PS4 (or the Xbox One). They present it as a "review," don't disclose that Sony gave them the hardware for review, and don't really have anything negative to say about it. How is that not a paid advertisement parading as an unbiased review?
post #12625 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

How is this situation with paid youtube videos any different than posting a review of a product that was given to the reviewer by the manufacturer? Just look at the IGN review of the PS4 (or the Xbox One). They present it as a "review," don't disclose that Sony gave them the hardware for review, and don't really have anything negative to say about it. How is that not a paid advertisement parading as an unbiased review?

I'd like to think the multimillion dollar company IGN would have a little more self respect than to whore themselves out for a $399 console.

post #12626 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

I'd like to think the multimillion dollar company IGN would have a little more self respect than to whore themselves out for a $399 console.

But it's bigger than just the $399 console. IGN gets advertising dollars from these companies, so it's in their best interest to give glowing reviews. This is nothing specific to the games industry ("professional" speaker reviews are probably the worst). Even edmunds.com, the well-respected auto site, succumbs to this. I used to follow their long-term blogs religiously, and there was a clear difference in how they wrote about the cars they bought themselves compared to the ones given to them by the manufacturer. BMW, in particular, provided vehicles to them on a regular basis. Not surprisingly, they had nothing but positive things to say about those cars. Edmunds, at least, had the decency to disclose their conflict of interest (something I don't often see with other review sites).
post #12627 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

But it's bigger than just the $399 console. IGN gets advertising dollars from these companies, so it's in their best interest to give glowing reviews. This is nothing specific to the games industry ("professional" speaker reviews are probably the worst). Even edmunds.com, the well-respected auto site, succumbs to this. I used to follow their long-term blogs religiously, and there was a clear difference in how they wrote about the cars they bought themselves compared to the ones given to them by the manufacturer. BMW, in particular, provided vehicles to them on a regular basis. Not surprisingly, they had nothing but positive things to say about those cars. Edmunds, at least, had the decency to disclose their conflict of interest (something I don't often see with other review sites).

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I know that...just the way you put it sounded kind of funny.

All things considered gaming editorial usually isn't that bad, it's not like there isn't a wide range of review scores even on IGN. But I bet you've never seen a bad speaker review in something like home theater mag.

post #12628 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post

I can say only positive things about Xbox One and I'm not getting paid. Are you still mad?

no why would i be?

do you not understand the difference between unethical behavior coupled with FTC violations involving money and someone giving their opinion. do you really not understand the difference between someone giving an honest review vs. someone get paid?

But great job you figured me out, i hate xbox (even though 75% of my posts have been on this side since joining AVS), i have bought multiple 360, going to buy an XB1, send my email via outlook, use MS office daily, but since i posted about unethical behavior it obviously means i hate everyone who loves xb1, i can hardly contain my rage in the fact that somehow you like xb1 and didn't get paid...

also on IGN, i think it is funny people talk about ad dollars when something gets a positive review, but no one mentions that daily there were ads for aliens marines game and they ripped it. there have been numerous instances of them advertising a game and then ripping it when it releases... no one mentions that..
post #12629 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
How is the ir reciever on you guys console? I'm using the new Harmony & have to point it directly at the console.
post #12630 of 17778 Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464
As of now, you’re likely aware that we broke news over the weekend of a new campaign to promote Xbox One on Youtube‘s Machinima channel. At first, we thought it was business as usual, but later details proved that the dealings were somewhat covert in nature.

When we reached out to Microsoft for further clarification on the matter, we were given a joint statement from Microsoft and Machinima,

Joint statement from Machinima and Microsoft:

“This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion.”

This statement seems to implicate Machinima added the clause forcing YouTuber’s to speak only positive comments about themselves, Microsoft, and Xbox One after the deal had been struck. As for the confidentiality verbiage, Microsoft and Machinima state that it wasn’t created to disavow the existence of the promotion, only the guidelines for eligibility.

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/2014/01/21/microsoft-and-machinima-have-officially-commented-on-xb1m13/

So can we get back to gaming

The 5.0 is here
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page