The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 445 - AVS Forum
First ... 443  444  445 446  447  ... Last
Xbox Area > The Official Xbox One thread...
cubdenno's Avatar cubdenno 12:26 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Most of the anger towards the caps comes from people who live in an area served by a single provider. The lack of competition allows them to get away with enforcing caps that reduce usage so ISPs don't need to upgrade their networks. I've never even seen a cap from any ISP around here, but that's because I've got tons of choices.

If the cable companies weren't so aggressively anti-competitive Id have a little more sympathy for them.

I am not pro ISP. I know they have earned their reputations. But there are so many stories of consumers taking advantage of the no caps that at some point it will affect the other consumers. And at some point there is going to have to be a cost associated with downloading video on demand. Or the games on demand or just the montly 40gigs to download a new digital version of whatever is flavor of the month game. I am pretty sure there is always an option. we just don't want to pay for it. Call your telephone company for a t1 or a t3 dedicated line. I live in a po dunk farm town pop 1000.I have access to comcast and it is good. There is the wirelss, 3g/4g, DSL, or dedicated line. A friend has a business and only has access to spotty wireless at a 100 a month with a 100MB cap, spotty 3g/4g or a dedicated line. He lives in an even more podunk farm town population about tree fiddy.He ended up going with the dedicated line. constant connection, no cap. Not the fastest. And expensive, but he uses it for home as well.

michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 12:33 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I didn't see any gestural commands with the One version. I'll have to try it out again.

Could have sworn that I'd used gestures with it when I tried it out, but it doesn't seem to respond to them now. There's not much reason for it to be Metro-ized if there are no gestures; Netflix should have insisted that it be the same as the others.
bori's Avatar bori 12:33 PM 02-20-2014
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 02:21 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

I am not pro ISP. I know they have earned their reputations. But there are so many stories of consumers taking advantage of the no caps that at some point it will affect the other consumers. And at some point there is going to have to be a cost associated with downloading video on demand. Or the games on demand or just the montly 40gigs to download a new digital version of whatever is flavor of the month game. I am pretty sure there is always an option. we just don't want to pay for it. Call your telephone company for a t1 or a t3 dedicated line. I live in a po dunk farm town pop 1000.I have access to comcast and it is good. There is the wirelss, 3g/4g, DSL, or dedicated line. A friend has a business and only has access to spotty wireless at a 100 a month with a 100MB cap, spotty 3g/4g or a dedicated line. He lives in an even more podunk farm town population about tree fiddy.He ended up going with the dedicated line. constant connection, no cap. Not the fastest. And expensive, but he uses it for home as well.

Nah, I def agree with you. There's no free lunch. I feel for you guys with spotty connections. (until I see how cheap your housing is.)

I dunno if caps are the answer though. Bandwidth isn't a resource that requires consumables, but it has a finite simultaneous capacity. The network is only really stressed at prime time. If they were being honest about the caps, they'd only apply them during peak hours. Someone streaming video at 9pm is causing far more stress to the network than someone who downloads tens of gigabytes a month in the wee hours of the night.
totalownership's Avatar totalownership 02:24 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:

Nah, I def agree with you. There's no free lunch. I feel for you guys with spotty connections. (until I see how cheap your housing is.)
Tell me about it. If I too could pay HALF what I pay now and actually get BETTER I'd have T3's sticking out all over my place.
tsaville's Avatar tsaville 02:39 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Has anyone been invited yet to test future firmware updates?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-beta-program-will-let-you-test-future-updates/1100-6417866/

I just got the invitation. I'm about the redeem the code now.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 02:42 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I just got the invitation. I'm about the redeem the code now.

Do you get an email or is it a message you get on the console?
tsaville's Avatar tsaville 02:43 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Do you get an email or is it a message you get on the console?

Private message on the console.
tsaville's Avatar tsaville 03:05 PM 02-20-2014
During the registration process, it said that we should expect these update previews about once a month. We also get to provide feedback on what we like, dislike, would like to see in the future, etc. I think this is a good idea, and it really shows that MS is dedicated to creating the best experience possible.
bwalker36's Avatar bwalker36 03:06 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

During the registration process, it said that we should expect these update previews about once a month. We also get to provide feedback on what we like, dislike, would like to see in the future, etc. I think this is a good idea, and it really shows that MS is dedicated to creating the best experience possible.

It is a great idea lets hope the people provide good feedback and most people don't treat it as an early release and provide no feed back.  

bori's Avatar bori 03:07 PM 02-20-2014
Crap I want an invite
tsaville's Avatar tsaville 03:09 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker36 View Post

It is a great idea lets hope the people provide good feedback and most people don't treat it as an early release and provide no feed back.  

My guess is that they will boot people from the program who don't provide feedback. You can also opt out of the program if you choose.
bori's Avatar bori 03:34 PM 02-20-2014
The people that got the invite do u use party chat alot?
Bailey151's Avatar Bailey151 05:53 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

I can't blame the ISP. I have friends who do 12 TB a year. How is this even remotely fair to the ISP.

In my house, withoutNetflix and streaming services we are well under the old 250GB cap Comcast had. With Streaming, we are reguraly in the 300GB per month range. Everyone wants super fast and super cheap. I would have no problem if an ISP offered tiers of service based on actual usage. You want superfast and unlimited? there should be a premium paid vs say 20/2 service with a cap. I am already OK with paying for a higher speed tier. I think most of the people are. We as a consumer have become very spoiled with the streaming capabilities and convenience. There should a cost associated with that conveniance.

Disclaimer: I do not work for an ISP. Was just taught that there is no such thing as free. And cheap means something is lacking.biggrin.gif
Amen, exactly - I'm sure a bunch of whiny @sses feel high speed internet is a god given right & should be free (lmao - like it costs nothing to provide).

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

you are missing the point about kinect... people aren't saying "it's not ahead of its time" or "kinect isn't really impressive technology". People are saying "it is not the way i want to play games", "don't force me to buy something i don't want",etc. There is a ton of amazing technology out there doesn't mean that i want it when i play TF, BF, etc.. is the omni amazing technology that is ahead of its time.... without a doubt (see link below if you aren't familiar with it), but do i think it should be "forced" on the consumer and bundled with the next N, MS or Sony console, not at all....
No, you're the one missing the point - number of devs that will make use of an optional device? Next to none, likely maybe only MS. In order to mainstream the technology it needs to be included = everyone has it. That's the way consoles work, programming is done to the lowest common denominator. And the "that's not the way I want to play games" has been going on since.....well forever. Every single time something moves (or attempts ) to move forward there's resistance. I remember when the orginal Wii came out - a huge "waaa....waaaa.....wheres my sticks" cry. Oops, too bad the pointer is actually a better interface for certain games & now all the systems have an alternative control scheme. Things move forward & the way that happens is to have things included in the baseline.

Just like cars - don't want the options? Buy a Yaris, want the options then buy the Lexus. For me the option of voice & visual control for the main interface is worth $100 even if I never use it for anything else.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 07:09 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:

Most of the anger towards the caps comes from people who live in an area served by a single provider. The lack of competition allows them to get away with enforcing caps that reduce usage so ISPs don't need to upgrade their networks. I've never even seen a cap from any ISP around here, but that's because I've got tons of choices.

If the cable companies weren't so aggressively anti-competitive Id have a little more sympathy for them.

The lack of competition doesn't fall on just the provider. Many reasons why some places don't have a multiple options. The state/city, distance and potential customers in a given area compared to cost to build that companies infrastructure are reasons you don't see all companies in all areas. Military bases for example have a contract with just a few companies. At Little Rock AFB you could only choose a Suddenlink or a the DSL company that is in contracdt with the base. Maumelle a city that is within Little Rock only has Uverse because the city doesn't want multiple providers. The city population is only 17000. The places Comcast serves in Arkansas are Little Rock(200,000), North Little Rock (64,000), Jacksonville(29,000), Bryant(19,000). So out of 3 million people & 133 cities only 329,000 and 4 cities have potential customers. Comcast provides unlimted and has since 2010. A company like Comcast would like nothing more than to provide service over the whole state but if the next city over doesn't allow the infrastructure to be built in order to expand. The other factor is cost and potential customers in areas as well. You can't just chakk it up as anit-competitive.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 07:19 AM 02-21-2014
Also all this talk about cutting the cord? Not going to happen for the masses. Some consumers don't care for cable and will pay for just internet but most consumers I ran into will get cable because they want it or it is packaged to save money. $99 triple play package from Comcast offers Preferred cable, 50MB and telephone. Cable alone for some is 200+. Cable and internet not in a package is about the same. I have ran into so many customers that come back for various reasons. Most customers I see have cable/internet along with Netflix, Hulu and HBO Go vs just internet.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 07:52 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

The lack of competition doesn't fall on just the provider. Many reasons why some places don't have a multiple options. The state/city, distance and potential customers in a given area compared to cost to build that companies infrastructure are reasons you don't see all companies in all areas. Military bases for example have a contract with just a few companies. At Little Rock AFB you could only choose a Suddenlink or a the DSL company that is in contracdt with the base. Maumelle a city that is within Little Rock only has Uverse because the city doesn't want multiple providers. The city population is only 17000. The places Comcast serves in Arkansas are Little Rock(200,000), North Little Rock (64,000), Jacksonville(29,000), Bryant(19,000). So out of 3 million people & 133 cities only 329,000 and 4 cities have potential customers. Comcast provides unlimted and has since 2010. A company like Comcast would like nothing more than to provide service over the whole state but if the next city over doesn't allow the infrastructure to be built in order to expand. The other factor is cost and potential customers in areas as well. You can't just chakk it up as anit-competitive.

I'd question why the city wouldn't allow them to build it then. The industry's manipulation of govt is like the core of their anti-competitive strategy.
ThumperII's Avatar ThumperII 08:03 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

No need to exaggerate. Your numbers are way off. Office is not $300 and never has been $300. You can get a 5 user license for $99/year if you go with Office 365. And if you're considering corporate, it's cheaper the more users you have. Or if you're the type to never upgrade Office, you can buy Office for $150 for a single user license.

ChromeOS and OS X marketshare is miniscule and that's giving them more credit than they deserve. And they know they can't throw in the consumer side and will never do so. It's more likely that Sony disappears (with all the money problems they have) than Microsoft throws in the consumer side. Microsoft still rakes in well over $24 billion in profit quarterly.

No need to exaggerate, $24 billion in REVENUE. $8 billion profit.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/175350-microsoft-delivers-record-revenue-profits-due-to-strong-xbox-windows-phone-and-commercial-sales
ThumperII's Avatar ThumperII 08:09 AM 02-21-2014
NPR did an interesting story on fiber networks. Some towns have built their own infrastructure and then lease access to providers. Capital costs are paid back in just years and the citizens get very fast internet for cheaper than what we pay here in the states. San Francisco is rumbling about doing this.

I have only Comcast or DSL in my area and the service is pretty bad with major slowdown every evening. It is expensive too. About what KC pays for Google fiber.
ThumperII's Avatar ThumperII 08:12 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

Amen, exactly - I'm sure a bunch of whiny @sses feel high speed internet is a god given right & should be free (lmao - like it costs nothing to provide).
No, you're the one missing the point - number of devs that will make use of an optional device? Next to none, likely maybe only MS. In order to mainstream the technology it needs to be included = everyone has it. That's the way consoles work, programming is done to the lowest common denominator. And the "that's not the way I want to play games" has been going on since.....well forever. Every single time something moves (or attempts ) to move forward there's resistance. I remember when the orginal Wii came out - a huge "waaa....waaaa.....wheres my sticks" cry. Oops, too bad the pointer is actually a better interface for certain games & now all the systems have an alternative control scheme. Things move forward & the way that happens is to have things included in the baseline.

Just like cars - don't want the options? Buy a Yaris, want the options then buy the Lexus. For me the option of voice & visual control for the main interface is worth $100 even if I never use it for anything else.

Except they do not use it to actually play games. People need to buy into the ecosystem argument and many just will not.
mrlittlejeans's Avatar mrlittlejeans 08:34 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:

I'd question why the city wouldn't allow them to build it then. The industry's manipulation of govt is like the core of their anti-competitive strategy.

I read a long article a little while back that delved into the last mile issue. I don't know where to find it anymore but the general point was that both ISP's and local government are to blame. Both are greedy at the consumers' expense. Local govt often wants outrageous fees for access to the poles and ISP's don't want competition.
Cuda1169's Avatar Cuda1169 08:49 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:

I dunno if caps are the answer though. Bandwidth isn't a resource that requires consumables, but it has a finite simultaneous capacity. The network is only really stressed at prime time. If they were being honest about the caps, they'd only apply them during peak hours. Someone streaming video at 9pm is causing far more stress to the network than someone who downloads tens of gigabytes a month in the wee hours of the night.

This is a great point. Downloading large gb games overnight during non-peak hours is lot less stressful on an ISPs network.
americangunner's Avatar americangunner 10:14 AM 02-21-2014
I love that both the PS4 and XB1 threads have now turned into complaining about ISP's. I guess we don't have much else to talk about right now when it comes to the consoles.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 10:21 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I love that both the PS4 and XB1 threads have now turned into complaining about ISP's. I guess we don't have much else to talk about right now when it comes to the consoles.

At least it's something we can all agree on. smile.gif
bwalker36's Avatar bwalker36 10:42 AM 02-21-2014
Quote:

At least it's something we can all agree on. smile.gif

lol

Bailey151's Avatar Bailey151 03:26 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Which gives one an idea that the launch was pretty smooth biggrin.gif Not bad, not bad at all.
onlysublime's Avatar onlysublime 05:56 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

No need to exaggerate, $24 billion in REVENUE. $8 billion profit.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/175350-microsoft-delivers-record-revenue-profits-due-to-strong-xbox-windows-phone-and-commercial-sales

thanks for correcting my typo. everyone else knew what I meant. but since you feel like taking on the job of being my secretary, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. I type teh a lot. I also get really lazy with capitalization. sometimes, when I'm typing fast, I'll type there when I meant they're or their. so thanks for helping me out. I've got a few thousand posts so you've got some work ahead of you. and tahnks again.
tampabuc's Avatar tampabuc 06:11 PM 02-21-2014
I got the "message/invite" for the next system update with a code the other day but I simply closed it out, my daughter was too excited to play the Lego Movie Game at the time.

Now it's totally gone. I've checked my X1 messages on-line, multiple smart-glass apps on multiple devices, no dice. The code/message is totally gone! Damn! I'm all about breaking stuff before owning it!
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 06:26 PM 02-21-2014
I just got the code for the preview Xbox One updates.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 06:28 PM 02-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post

I got the "message/invite" for the next system update with a code the other day but I simply closed it out, my daughter was too excited to play the Lego Movie Game at the time.

Now it's totally gone. I've checked my X1 messages on-line, multiple smart-glass apps on multiple devices, no dice. The code/message is totally gone! Damn! I'm all about breaking stuff before owning it!

I am not sure who you can contact but they might be able to send you another code seeing how you were chosen.
Tags: Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
First ... 443  444  445 446  447  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop