Forum Jump: 
 221Likes

post #14221 of 17041 Old 03-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yeah, I don't get that either. Almost every time I launch an application, a new update is needed.

I'm ok with that in general. I like upgrades and free stuff but why is it not happening behind the scenes?

At the same time, no excuse, but I think its fair to say that it took other companies including Apple and iOS application specific auto updates about a decade to get this feature implemented. Not sure exactly but it sure seemed like forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 17041 Old 03-18-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 442
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a557954/kinect-resource-cost-on-xbox-one-will-drop-all-the-time-says-rare.html

Kinect resource cost on Xbox One will drop all the time, says Rare

The resource cost of Kinect in Xbox One games will continually decrease, Rare has said.

Head of Kinect technology Nick Burton explained each XDK (development kit) update better optimises tracking in the system reserve, just like Xbox 360's ongoing dashboard improvements.

More after the link.
agnathra likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #14223 of 17041 Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 497
hey, I don't remember which update had what features?

are all of these from the april? which ones are from the march update? were any of these from before the march update (like the february? or the launch dashboard?)?

post #14224 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The "Chat Mixer" and "Sound Mixer" is new. The other audio/settings options have either been there since the last update or before that.

"Live to Win!"
XBL: RandomNinjaAtk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Personal Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
post #14225 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
The rear surround audio from apps still comes out of the wrong channels with this preview update. Both of my boxes go it it in a few minutes after I updated the registration app and put my consoles in standby.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #14226 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Got the update as well. I know there were some Kinect improvements but not sure how to really test. I was speaking just above a whisper and my kinect picked up my commands. I don't know if that was from the updated calibration from yesterday or part of the update. The time from command to xbox doing the action seems a bit slower. I could be wrong.
post #14227 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone else go the network settings and do a detailed test? With 3 tests, I was showing anywhere from 60-75% packet loss on uploads and downloads. I've done other external test and haven't seen that. Wondering whats up with that.
post #14228 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Can anyone else go the network settings and do a detailed test? With 3 tests, I was showing anywhere from 60-75% packet loss on uploads and downloads. I've done other external test and haven't seen that. Wondering whats up with that.

I just tried the detailed test. It showed no packet loss(0%) for uploads and downloads, latency of 77ms, download speed of 152.85 Mbps, upload speed of 66.08 Mbps, and an MTU of 1480.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #14229 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Wierd
post #14230 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The rear surround audio from apps still comes out of the wrong channels with this preview update. Both of my boxes go it it in a few minutes after I updated the registration app and put my consoles in standby.
Please go add your complaint to my existing thread HERE for the preview. If we get enough posts, maybe we can get them to finally address this issue.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #14231 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Need a favor from you AVS'ers who are in the April preview. Since we're all pretty well versed in video calibration here, there's an obvious issue I've noted with the Xbox One crushing blacks. And it isn't just me... Eurogamer and other sites have noted it when comparing to PC and PS4 with multiplatform games as well. Even the built-in calibration pattern on the Xbox One no longer displays the near-black closed eye pattern on my calibrated display, even if you crank brightness up. Eurogamer noted in their Titanfall faceoff:
Quote:
The only other major difference is a skewed gamma ramp on Xbox One, introducing black crush into the image, robbing it of some of the subtle detail you see in the PC game. We understand that this could be an issue in how the Xbox One blends its multiple display panes and would be more of an issue in upscaled games, and we're quite surprised that Microsoft hasn't sought to address this yet.

So the favor is... If you know your display is properly calibrated for black level, go to the video settings and view the black level pattern with the closed eyelid for near black. Crank up brightness and see if the closed eye ever appears or if that part of the pattern just remains a black rectangle. I have a feeling that the system as a whole may be clipping blacks incorrectly above digital 16 when set to RGB Limited (and I've checked RGB full as well with the appropriate change to my projector - that closed eye never shows on either). When I checked that pattern at the system's release, it was properly displaying when I changed brightness. Now it never shows up for me, and games with no in-game gamma controls remain too dark at the lower black levels.

If you're seeing the same issue I am, please report it at the preview forums in this thread.

post #14232 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

Need a favor from you AVS'ers who are in the April preview. Since we're all pretty well versed in video calibration here, there's an obvious issue I've noted with the Xbox One crushing blacks. And it isn't just me... Eurogamer and other sites have noted it when comparing to PC and PS4 with multiplatform games as well. Even the built-in calibration pattern on the Xbox One no longer displays the near-black closed eye pattern on my calibrated display, even if you crank brightness up. Eurogamer noted in their Titanfall faceoff:
So the favor is... If you know your display is properly calibrated for black level, go to the video settings and view the black level pattern with the closed eyelid for near black. Crank up brightness and see if the closed eye ever appears or if that part of the pattern just remains a black rectangle. I have a feeling that the system as a whole may be clipping blacks incorrectly above digital 16 when set to RGB Limited (and I've checked RGB full as well with the appropriate change to my projector - that closed eye never shows on either). When I checked that pattern at the system's release, it was properly displaying when I changed brightness. Now it never shows up for me, and games with no in-game gamma controls remain too dark at the lower black levels.

If you're seeing the same issue I am, please report it at the preview forums in this thread.

Just tested it and as I increase the brightness on my TV I see the closed black eye.
post #14233 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Just tested it and as I increase the brightness on my TV I see the closed black eye.
Thanks for checking. Curious... Just had a friend check it and the closed black eye doesn't show on his display either. May I ask what settings you're using in video? Trying to nail down what could be causing this problem.

post #14234 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Thanks for checking. Curious... Just had a friend check it and the closed black eye doesn't show on his display either. May I ask what settings you're using in video? Trying to nail down what could be causing this problem.
I can see the closed eye on my display. The calibration tool did have me raise the brightness one click higher than I previously had it. I calibrate all my displays with professional equipment, so it's possible the Xbox is crushing blacks a tad. I'll send my signal generator through the Xbox one and see if I get similar results. I have the One set to "24 bits" and "RGB limited".
post #14235 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I can see the closed eye on my display. The calibration tool did have me raise the brightness one click higher than I previously had it. I calibrate all my displays with professional equipment, so it's possible the Xbox is crushing blacks a tad. I'll send my signal generator through the Xbox one and see if I get similar results. I have the One set to "24 bits" and "RGB limited".
I don't see the closed eye on my display no matter how much I crank brightness, which is what has me concerned. My system's calibrated with an EyeOne Display LT and ColorHCFR. I'm also running 24 bits and RGB Limited. Something very odd going on here, 'cause even the other system in my house that's just connected to a computer monitor at RGB Full is unable to display the closed eye.

Let me know if you find anything with your signal generator. I'm tempted to run my Oppo BDP-93 through my Xbox One and see if it changes the near-black pattern on Spears & Munsil.

post #14236 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Settings

What I've been calibrated at for movies. I use these and have no issues.

What it looks like if I crank up the brightness to around 74. If I get close to 100 it's even more clear.
post #14237 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm using the same settings (except 7.1 uncompressed instead of 5.1)... no closed eye. Will wire direct to projector to rule out anything else in the signal chain and work backwards. Still confused as to why the other unit on a PC monitor has that issue as well... and my friend who is straight to a TV. Curiouser and curiouser!

post #14238 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't see the closed eye on my display no matter how much I crank brightness, which is what has me concerned. My system's calibrated with an EyeOne Display LT and ColorHCFR. I'm also running 24 bits and RGB Limited. Something very odd going on here, 'cause even the other system in my house that's just connected to a computer monitor at RGB Full is unable to display the closed eye.

Let me know if you find anything with your signal generator. I'm tempted to run my Oppo BDP-93 through my Xbox One and see if it changes the near-black pattern on Spears & Munsil.
I agree, I think the XboxOne plays nice with some displays, but not others. What display do you have?
post #14239 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree, I think the XboxOne plays nice with some displays, but not others. What display do you have?
My signal chain is Xbox One to Onkyo TX-NR3010 (set to pass-through and game mode) with HDMI OUT 1 to a Darbee Darblet then to an Epson 8500UB projector and HDMI OUT 2 to a crappy Insignia 24" LCD that we have in the dining room area. When I get home, I'll start narrowing down the usual suspects by going direct to the Xbox One with the projector, then adding back in each element until I see which one's being weird. It's odd that I'm not seeing the problem with my Oppo BDP-93 at all though, since it's solid with all my test discs with that same signal chain.

post #14240 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM

I have had no issues on my TVs with black crush. But I used the built in utility to calibrate my TVs.

"Live to Win!"

- Personal Blog

post #14241 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My signal chain is Xbox One to Onkyo TX-NR3010 (set to pass-through and game mode) with HDMI OUT 1 to a Darbee Darblet then to an Epson 8500UB projector and HDMI OUT 2 to a crappy Insignia 24" LCD that we have in the dining room area. When I get home, I'll start narrowing down the usual suspects by going direct to the Xbox One with the projector, then adding back in each element until I see which one's being weird. It's odd that I'm not seeing the problem with my Oppo BDP-93 at all though, since it's solid with all my test discs with that same signal chain.
I would also try and switch some of your video setting on your projector, and see if that has any effect.
post #14242 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would also try and switch some of your video setting on your projector, and see if that has any effect.
Will do. Keep in mind though that the second display also has this issue, whereas neither display has that issue with the Oppo. That's what's making this seem like something happening with the source, not the signal chain. It vexes me.

post #14243 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Will do. Keep in mind though that the second display also has this issue, whereas neither display has that issue with the Oppo. That's what's making this seem like something happening with the source, not the signal chain. It vexes me.

Have you tried calibrating the display for the Xbox One? My impression is that your problem caused by calibrating with a different source device and then wondering why the same settings won't work for Xbox One. I would think it's not supposed to work this way.

You should probably choose another profile on your TV and then do a genuine calibration using the Xbox One as the source, your settings may likely be different and I would presume your issues would just disappear...

"Live to Win!"

- Personal Blog

post #14244 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I understand,
I also have a monitor hooked up to the Xbox One and get a slight black crush. My PS4, and everything else in my video chain doesn't crush blacks on any of my displays, so I assume the Xbox is doing something funky. They had similar issues with the 360 also. I'm bummed that Titanfall doesn't have a built in brightness adjustment to compensate for this issue, most games do. frown.gif
post #14245 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post

Have you tried calibrating the display for the Xbox One? My impression is that your problem is that you've calibrated with a different device and then wondering why the same settings don't work for Xbox One. I would think it's not supposed to work this way.

You should probably choose another profile on your TV and then do a genuine calibration using the Xbox One as the source, your settings may likely be different and I would presume your issues would just disappear...
The problem is that you can't calibrate with it... because the closed lid near-black never shows up no matter how high you crank brightness. That's my point. All things being equal, black/white levels should be consistent with the Oppo, but I can't even calibrate around it. Black info at the low end is just GONE. It's perplexing.

post #14246 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you tried calibrating the display for the Xbox One? My impression is that your problem is that you've calibrated with a different device and then wondering why the same settings don't work for Xbox One. I would think it's not supposed to work this way.

The issue is that it should work that way, but there are many devices that don't calibrate properly. They have video standards for this reason, but a lot of devices don't adhere to them.
post #14247 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:

The problem is that you can't calibrate with it... because the closed lid near-black never shows up no matter how high you crank brightness. That's my point. All things being equal, black/white levels should be consistent with the Oppo, but I can't even calibrate around it. Black info at the low end is just GONE. It's perplexing.

I have multiple Xbox One's on multiple TVs. But I'm not a professional when it comes to calibration, I just used the built in calibration utility and did not have any issues on my sets with black levels (closed eyelid) that your reporting. But I'm not using really high-end gear for my equipment. Onkyo AVRs paired with M-Series Vizio TV's (About a year or so old, not the latest models).

I do have the Disney WOW disc that I should pull out sometime to do some more testing...

"Live to Win!"

- Personal Blog

post #14248 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

According to their add, extra 50% on trades towards a One or PS4 until the 23rd (thanks Lo!)

So I got $210 for the 2 xbox 360s + another $180 for a 320GB hard drive, Kinect, two S controllers with the transformer D-pad and about a dozen 360 games. Which brought the grand total for the Titanfall bundle to about $124 with tax...I can live with that wink.gif

Now hopefully I can find some time to play over the next week or so...

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #14249 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have multiple Xbox One's on multiple TVs. But I'm not a professional when it comes to calibration, I just used the built in calibration utility and did not have any issues on my sets with black levels (closed eyelid) that your reporting. But I'm not using really high-end gear for my equipment. Onkyo AVRs paired with M-Series Vizio TV's (About a year or so old, not the latest models).

I do have the Disney WOW disc that I should pull out sometime to do some more testing...
That's what's so odd to me. When I first hooked up my Xbox One on the launch night, the first thing I did was toss in S&M and check out their built-in calibration patterns to make sure all was well. And I haven't changed anything in my HT rig that I can think of since then, so I'm not sure why it's doing this now. Same Onkyo AVR... same displays... Darbee on the projector feed. It's confusing.

post #14250 of 17041 Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:

The issue is that it should work that way, but there are many devices that don't calibrate properly. They have video standards for this reason, but a lot of devices don't adhere to them.

According to my tests on launch day, the eyeball test was dead on with test discs. Something def must have changed since then.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page