Forum Jump: 
 184Likes

post #14671 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 1380

So let me get this straight....the remote sends IR to the console, which then instructs kinect to send IR out to the actual device? That's even crazier than I thought.

But at least without a kinect you could theoretically use it to navigate the Xbox UI, just not control volume on your AVR?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14672 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

So let me get this straight....the remote sends IR to the console, which then instructs kinect to send IR out to the actual device? That's even crazier than I thought.

But at least without a kinect you could theoretically use it to navigate the Xbox UI, just not control volume on your AVR?

Correct. I would think someone that doesnt want to use the kinect would have another remote to control the volume and the other devices. Not sure whats so crazy about this.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #14673 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

1. This is a stupid tired argument because there are no plans for the Xbox One to be shipped without it.

Do you work for MS and are privy to this info or are you regurgitating MS talking points? They will never admit it until they announce it, they don't want to hurt current sales.
Quote:
2. The Xbox One is more than just a gaming machine. That is the whole point of the console. To effectively use the Xbox One to its fullest meaning everything it can do Kinect is required. If you want a stunted or lacking experience then unplugged Kinect. Everything is built around people interacting with Kinect. Most people who are buying the Xbox One will be using it to do more to play games.

So for those who want to use those extra feature, they should charge more. To those who do not, they should charge less. Most people use it for gaming and streaming, two things you don't need the Kinect for. Those who still have cable and happen to want to complicate their AV system can buy and use Kinect. Why should the rest of use be punished for their wants?

Quote:
The Xbox One without Kinect is a lesser piece of hardware. It is just that simple.

I'd argue it is a lesser piece of hardware now with a big price tag. Why not make it competitive? A $349 Base SKU would put them in a much better position and would still do what 90% of people use the system for, gaming and streaming. Then they can sell Kinect for $149 and make a healthy profit to anyone who changes their mind down the road. People rarely care about "value added", they see the shelf price and use it to rationalize their purchase. We saw that last gen with the 360 gimp SKU, which was a bad product, but undersold the competition.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #14674 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Are we really still debating a Kinect-less SKU? Aside from exclusives, it is the primary advantage the X1 has over the PS4.
post #14675 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

Are we really still debating a Kinect-less SKU? Aside from exclusives, it is the primary advantage the X1 has over the PS4.

How's that working out for MS? No one is buying an XB1 for Kinect. They are buying it from brand loyalty and that pool is quickly drying up. They need to think smarter, they are losing a lot of 360 gamers to the PS4. I have yet to meet one person in RL that owns a XB1, last gen everyone had a 360 early in the gen, myself included.
benjamin-benjami likes this.

post #14676 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

How's that working out for MS? No one is buying an XB1 for Kinect. They are buying it from brand loyalty and that pool is quickly drying up. They need to think smarter, they are losing a lot of 360 gamers to the PS4. I have yet to meet one person in RL that owns a XB1, last gen everyone had a 360 early in the gen, myself included.
LMAO, wow that's some line.......
  1. "Pool drying up"? Hmm.....what system just had a spike in sales?
  2. "Everyone had a 360 early"? Hmm.....this far from release which has sold more the One or 360?

Guess we'll just skip over the it's currently a 60/40 split (6 to 4 million PS4 w/ 6)...........even with the PS4 being offered in 40 countries versus the 13 for the One.

Sorry, no real "gloom & doom" here, it is competitive - it offers more. Given the recent bundles we're talking less than $100.......if that's too much for all it offers I hear the WiiU is pretty cheap. biggrin.gif
pennhunter, mboojigga and mguy5 like this.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #14677 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

LMAO, wow that's some line.......
  1. "Pool drying up"? Hmm.....what system just had a spike in sales?
  2. "Everyone had a 360 early"? Hmm.....this far from release which has sold more the One or 360?

Guess we'll just skip over the it's currently a 60/40 split (6 to 4 million PS4 w/ 6)...........even with the PS4 being offered in 40 countries versus the 13 for the One.

Sorry, no real "gloom & doom" here, it is competitive - it offers more. Given the recent bundles we're talking less than $100.......if that's too much for all it offers I hear the WiiU is pretty cheap. biggrin.gif

Can you tell me about this spike? The XB1 sold to its core very fast due to good supply, the 360 was supply constrined for months, it also built most of its audience from scratch, unlike the XB1. If the XB1 is doing so well, why did they bundle there largest title in the box for free? Why then after this bundle, did they start testing the waters with a $449 price with most major retailers that may end up being the MSRP?

The fact remains, every console, no matter how good or bad, will sell some number millions of units in the first six months, even the $600 PS3 did. The question is how fast does the tail drop from the early adopters, the ones that will buy anything? Imagine a $500 bundle-less SKU now, how well would that be doing?

post #14678 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Correct. I would think someone that doesnt want to use the kinect would have another remote to control the volume and the other devices. Not sure whats so crazy about this.

If you have a universal remote, and the Xbox itself has an IR sensor, you shouldn't need this. Or you could use a kinect. Or a controller. I just don't get it.

A small IR remote that can directly control other devices in absence of kinect makes sense, or a small RF remote that doesn't need line of sight has a mic that can replace kinect, even better. Put both together and that's a pretty awesome remote, and should still be cheap.

It's just a remote, I know. But it's like everything they designed for the x1 has to use kinect in some way to justify it's existence even when it's not the best solution.

post #14679 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

If you have a universal remote, and the Xbox itself has an IR sensor, you shouldn't need this. Or you could use a kinect. Or a controller. I just don't get it.

A small IR remote that can directly control other devices in absence of kinect makes sense, or a small RF remote that doesn't need line of sight has a mic that can replace kinect, even better. Put both together and that's a pretty awesome remote, and should still be cheap.

It's just a remote, I know. But it's like everything they designed for the x1 has to use kinect in some way to justify it's existence even when it's not the best solution.
The point is that you have options. Nothing keeps you from using the remote you already had, even Kinect. Hell, I'm using my Harmony 880 to control everything most of the time... and since it also has had support for the Xbox One since launch, that remote isn't something I need. So I didn't buy it.

But as far as what Kinect adds to that, there is value in it. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten a channel number and just been able to say "Xbox, watch Comedy Central" instead... or had someone call when I'm away from my remote and been able to say, "Xbox Mute" from the other room. It isn't a matter of it "justifying its existence" in any way. The thing works... but you still have options. Personally, with how often I find myself saying "Xbox Record that" or "Xbox notifications", I can't imagine the system without it. It really is one of the things that differentiates it from the competition. If it's not for you, cool... Options.
tsaville likes this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #14680 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Some users should be forced to stay on their side of the console fence. biggrin.gif
pennhunter likes this.
post #14681 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I don't even mind alternate opinions, but we've heard all of this before, on both sides, many times over. It's just not productive any more.
pennhunter and tsaville like this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #14682 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Some users should be forced to stay on their side of the console fence. biggrin.gif
Something like the crackdown they did a long time ago in the playstation forum when things weren't going so well for the ps3. The sticky that reads:

No more threads on PS3 sales figures!

All they do is incite flame wars.
Whether it be that the PS3 is selling well, or not so well.

Also, we are going to crack down on the fanboys in this forum. If you don't own a PS3, and have no intention of owning a PS3... DON'T POST HERE!

I wonder how much longer we will go here before we get a post like that.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #14683 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I don't understand the point of the Xbox One media remote either, but I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about a $20 peripheral that I will never buy. They had a similar remote on the 360 and even the original Xbox, so maybe they're just keeping an old tradition alive.
post #14684 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Something like the crackdown they did a long time ago in the playstation forum when things weren't going so well for the ps3. The sticky that reads:

No more threads on PS3 sales figures!

All they do is incite flame wars.
Whether it be that the PS3 is selling well, or not so well.

Also, we are going to crack down on the fanboys in this forum. If you don't own a PS3, and have no intention of owning a PS3... DON'T POST HERE!

I wonder how much longer we will go here before we get a post like that.

do you know how many people have been banned from this thread or banned from avs period... not sure you know, but the mods have been very "crackdown" on people throughout this thread (and other threads)... so far the only people posting sales numbers have been pro-MS, yet i don't see anyone jumping on them, when they say things like xb1 has sold X amount of consoles and they are in far less territories than ps4..... so it cuts both ways, this shouldn't be a "positive comment only" thread about xb1.. so you can post sales numbers, etc.. when it supports MS, but not if it doesn't...
post #14685 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

do you know how many people have been banned from this thread or banned from avs period... not sure you know, but the mods have been very "crackdown" on people throughout this thread (and other threads)... so far the only people posting sales numbers have been pro-MS, yet i don't see anyone jumping on them, when they say things like xb1 has sold X amount of consoles and they are in far less territories than ps4..... so it cuts both ways, this shouldn't be a "positive comment only" thread about xb1.. so you can post sales numbers, etc.. when it supports MS, but not if it doesn't...

Excellent post.
post #14686 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

....Can you tell me about this spike?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=titanfall+xbox+sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

.........I wonder how much longer we will go here before we get a post like that.
Soon I'll bet. Continued gloom & doom isn't really putting forth much in the way of information either. I remember those days, non-stop ragging on sales.........and..........would ya look at that the PS3 is still around biggrin.gif
Quote:

... so far the only people posting sales numbers have been pro-MS, yet i don't see anyone jumping on them, when they say things like xb1 has sold X amount of consoles and they are in far less territories than ps4..... so it cuts both ways, this shouldn't be a "positive comment only" thread about xb1.. so you can post sales numbers, etc.. when it supports MS, but not if it doesn't...
Um, ah, it's the "Official Xbox One thread"...........odds are high you'll get pro XBox posts. I certainly would expect that should I wander into the PS4 thread & started gloom & dooming it.

And really, admit it anything positive said about the One or MS annoys the hell out of you which really makes one wonder why you continue in the "official..." thread. I mean feel free but odds are high you'll be annoyed by positive comments. Idea - quote all your positive comments so far in this thread.

Do I figure it's the best thing since sliced bread? Nope, but in my house it gets used the MS designed it. Kinect gets used for fitness, with the Kids for Dance & Sports Rivals, I appreciate being able to active it with voice when I choose. Oh & it also plays the games I want to play, works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I don't understand the point of the Xbox One media remote either, but I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about a $20 peripheral that I will never buy. They had a similar remote on the 360 and even the original Xbox, so maybe they're just keeping an old tradition alive.
Glad I'm not the only one.......could not figure it out, guess someone needs it???

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #14687 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Excellent post.

I respectfully disagree sir.. smile.gif
post #14688 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Soon I'll bet. Continued gloom & doom isn't really putting forth much in the way of information.
Um, ah, it's the "Official Xbox One thread"...........odds are high you'll get pro XBox posts. I certainly would expect that should I wander into the PS4 thread & start posting about a lack of some feature or another.

And really, admit it anything positive said about the One or MS annoys the hell out of you which really makes one wonder why you continue in the "official..." thread. I mean feel free but odds are high you'll be annoyed by positive comments. Idea - quote all your positive comments so far in this thread.

Do I figure it's the best thing since sliced bread? Nope, but in my house it gets used the MS designed it. Kinect gets used for fitness, with the Kids for Dance & Sports Rivals, I appreciate being able to active it with voice when I choose. Oh & it also plays the games I want to play, works for me.

Excellent post sir!
post #14689 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

do you know how many people have been banned from this thread or banned from avs period..

Some only had to take a 6 month hiatus... wink.gif
post #14690 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Someone should at least make an "official Xbox one owners thread" like they have for every random TV in the display forums. That way the general discussion and the specific questions don't have to clash.
mphfrom77 likes this.

post #14691 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post

I respectfully disagree sir.. smile.gif

No worries smile.gif I enjoy talking about the pros and cons of games and consoles. I know there are those that only want to talk about the pros of something, I just personally enjoy discussing all aspects.
post #14692 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post

The point is that you have options. Nothing keeps you from using the remote you already had, even Kinect. Hell, I'm using my Harmony 880 to control everything most of the time... and since it also has had support for the Xbox One since launch, that remote isn't something I need. So I didn't buy it.

But as far as what Kinect adds to that, there is value in it. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten a channel number and just been able to say "Xbox, watch Comedy Central" instead... or had someone call when I'm away from my remote and been able to say, "Xbox Mute" from the other room. It isn't a matter of it "justifying its existence" in any way. The thing works... but you still have options. Personally, with how often I find myself saying "Xbox Record that" or "Xbox notifications", I can't imagine the system without it. It really is one of the things that differentiates it from the competition. If it's not for you, cool... Options.

We're well beyond the point where anyone needs to continue to defend kinect. I was only ever talking about the utility of the remote, everyone kept dragging it back to the same ol kinect stuff. I've zero desire to retread any of that.

But seriously though, you have to see the irony in conflating kinect and options. smile.gif

post #14693 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We're well beyond the point where anyone needs to continue to defend kinect. I was only ever talking about the utility of the remote, everyone kept dragging it back to the same ol kinect stuff. I've zero desire to retread any of that.

But seriously though, you have to see the irony in conflating kinect and options. smile.gif

That's one thing I don't really get, why the need to defend Kinect at all? If you enjoy it, great enjoy it. There really isn't a need to get upset about people who don't want to use it and would rather just have an Xbox One sold at a lower price without it.
benjamin-benjami likes this.
post #14694 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

EA Sports UFC caught me completely by surprise, with adding Bruce Lee as a playable character!!!! Hell, back when the original Xbox was announced, when I heard there would be a Bruce Lee game that sold the system for me!

Too bad that game was .... ehhh.... well....

Cant wait for this one, the character model looks awesome.

post #14695 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EA Sports UFC caught me completely by surprise, with adding Bruce Lee as a playable character!!!! Hell, back when the original Xbox was announced, when I heard there would be a Bruce Lee game that sold the system for me!

Too bad that game was .... ehhh.... well....

Cant wait for this one, the character model looks awesome.

That is interesting. I wonder how he will integrate with that style of combat.
post #14696 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Some consider him the Grandfather (or father..) of MMA, his Jeet Kune Do principles are entirely different than the theatrical martial arts he used in the movies.
post #14697 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some consider him the Grandfather (or father..) of MMA, his Jeet Kune Do principles are entirely different than the theatrical martial arts he used in the movies.

Yeah, I know he kind of took a lot of elements from many styles. I thought UFC/MMA was heavily grappling based but I really don't watch a lot so I could be way off. Plus Bruce Lee was pretty tiny dude but packing a big punch. Of course the best soccer player in the world is about his height as well.
post #14698 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:

Soon I'll bet. Continued gloom & doom isn't really putting forth much in the way of information either. I remember those days, non-stop ragging on sales.........and..........would ya look at that the PS3 is still around biggrin.gif
Um, ah, it's the "Official Xbox One thread"...........odds are high you'll get pro XBox posts. I certainly would expect that should I wander into the PS4 thread & started gloom & dooming it.

Glad I'm not the only one.......could not figure it out, guess someone needs it???

1. you are right, you figured me out, anything positive about MS annoys me (as i type this on my laptop with windows 8, right after using MS office which i love and not a fan of apple at all) and have my 360 sitting in the living room where 85-90% of my gaming was done. you are sooo right
2. why am i in this thread, well lets see, i owned all 3 consoles last gen and i will own all 3 consoles this gen
3. If you started posting doom and gloom (well please find my posts where is said things like "m$ is doomed, xb1 $ucks, etc..) in the PS area, others might rip you, but please check my post history, especially on the ps side, I was the one defending titanfall from people ripping it because it was with MS, I was the one that when people blindly defending the subpar battery and broken triggers of the controller, I jumped on them.

So here is the deal, i will own an x1 (and a wiiU, don't worry i got ripped by people just like you in the nintendo forums also), i don't have a history of lobbying for any console, i believe every company is out for money, nothing less or more. But when i point out that the ridicilous of people saying "no sales figures" but ignoring when people bring up sales figures that support MS, sorry for pointing it out, i would do the same on the sony, nintendo side.

Basically, if i point out some issues (which i have done about all 3 consoles on all 3 forums) then i need to "leave" or i have some personal Rambo like vendetta. I guess i shouldn't be surprised, last gen i got ripped on the sony and nintendo side for being too pro-MS (once again check post history) and now this gen i have been ripped by MS and nintendo (well to be fair even the PS side disagrees with me on a lot of points, but not quite as harsh here). Sorry my "controversial" statements like "kinect is fine for people that want it, but i would like an option to buy it without it" is so over the top negative.....so i have to say CONGRATS you are the one person that figured out all my other posts are really just an elaborate cover up for my master plan of hating MS. I am fully committed that is why i started 8 years ago talking about how much i love the 360, don't buy apple products, and 90% of my post last gen were on the MS side and to complete it all, i am going to buy an X1, not because i want to play exclusive games (hopefully a new alan wake), but i am buying it just so i can post bad things about it....
last post on this subject from me

here is a guy just like me, he supported on MS by making exclusive games for them all so he could say bad things about MS later on..
22cans founder and Fable creator Peter Molyneux expects Microsoft will release Xbox One without Kinect eventually, because, as he puts it, the device "feels more and more like a joke."

Speaking with Edge, Molyneux said, “I actually wish Kinect wasn’t a requirement. It feels like an unnecessary add-on to me. Maybe it’s because we’re in England, and it doesn’t really use the TV stuff, but it feels more and more like a joke. My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn’t work."

He also sees the removal of Kinect as an effective cost-cutting measure for Xbox One, allowing the system to reduce its $500 USD price point. "I’m sure [Microsoft is] going to release an Xbox One without Kinect," he said. "It would be unthinkable that they wouldn’t.”

Recently, Molyneux told IGN that Nintendo was a company that had "lost its way," but advised consumers "never to underestimate Nintendo."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/09/fable-creator-xbox-one-kinect-a-joke
barrelbelly and freemeat like this.
post #14699 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

[according to Molyneux] it feels more and more like a joke

Funny he should say that, because all comments on Kinect aside, that's exactly what my thoughts on Molyneux himself are these days.
Jeremy Anderson and DeeLux like this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #14700 of 16906 Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Guys,
I have just tried setting up the live TV function today, and have the black screen issue...only with the TV App. I can close it, back out, go to another app...all with no issues. TV functionality with my Samsung STB, is a "no go"...
TWC
Samsung HD STB (non-dvr)
Onkyo 818
Planar PD 7060

I've read of the problem extensively since this afternoon, and it was, apparently, an early issue that has been fixed with the last update. I had updated when I received the One as a gift 2 weeks ago. I know of no other updates, and still have the issue.
Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Did you try a hard reset, holding down the power button for 10 seconds and powering back up after 30 seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Not yet. I will try that...Thank you
The thing that worries me, is after everything I read, this may solve the issue temporarily, but, the black screen will re-occur, after the next power cycle?

Did the power reset, and actually unplugged the Xbox One for about 30 seconds. No TV after reboot.
Went through all the settings advised over on the Xbox Forums threads concerning the issue. No TV.
Not really sure what to do at this point...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page