post #14941 of 16371 Old 05-07-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

You have every right to your own opinion. But I think it is funny the amount of disdain for the Kinect. I don't play Kinect Rivals or anything and rarely use the camera functionality, but it is the voice commands that make it a game changer. Snapping the party app, pausing movies, and playing, etc all via voice. I can't live without it now.

Voice commands are doable without Kinect or a Camera on other devices (PS4 for example).
Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Take the kinect out of the picture and I may look at buying the XBOXOne, until then I have no interest in one. Just my own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

A game changer for you, not me. We are of different opinions and that is fine.

Yup, plenty of people who go for a lower price Xbox One without Kinect.
benjamin-benjami likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14942 of 16371 Old 05-07-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i will never understand this type of thinking, so instead of responding to the market and changing accordingly you would "tip your hat"? So companies/people that admit they were wrong and then change and have success, you don't respect? One of the first lessons in business is to learn to quit early. Guess sony should have made SIXAXIS the core of their console and nintendo should make their next console with another gamepad, etc...

Now before everyone jumps all over me i am NOT SAYING ms is a sinking ship or that kinect is a failure, i am only responding to the post above, nothing more or less...

When is Nintendo to going to bring back R.O.B.? Make every game mandatory with it biggrin.gif
benjamin-benjami likes this.
post #14943 of 16371 Old 05-07-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Yesterday I came across a blog piece quoting a "Microsoft insider" as stating that MS can't afford to unbundle Kinect yet, given their commitment to quantity parts purchase. He suggested that it might be doable later in the year, but not now.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #14944 of 16371 Old 05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yesterday I came across a blog piece quoting a "Microsoft insider" as stating that MS can't afford to unbundle Kinect yet, given their commitment to quantity parts purchase. He suggested that it might be doable later in the year, but not now.

That definitely could be an accurate reason. Was Major Nelson excavating the E.T. games to make room for Kinect surplus? cool.gif. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I kid!, don't ban me
post #14945 of 16371 Old 05-07-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments launches in September for the Xbox One.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5692044/sherlock-holmes-crimes-and-punishments-release-date
post #14946 of 16371 Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments launches in September for the Xbox One.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5692044/sherlock-holmes-crimes-and-punishments-release-date
See now the problem with a game like this is it has piqued my interest but I would definitely need to know more about it. HOWEVER at 59.99 I don't think I want to get in at the price. Furthermore I don't think I want to DD this title. I would like to DD all my titles but something like this I don't think so. The only thing would make me consider it, and this goes for ALL great predominately single player games , is if they had some sort of mission builder. Single player games need a system where people could build missions/crimes/stories whatever to play out when the main game is already completed. A few creative guys build something, upload it , and then it becomes accessible to everyone.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #14947 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Why do you need a camera for that? Wouldn't a microphone built into the console achieve the same thing? You do realize that "next-gen" camera doesn't do anything yet, other than utilize the microphone built into it. Voice commands might be the future, but it's not going to be the future if it's tied to a locked eco-system ala microsoft/xbox/XBL.

I'm cool with MS and Nintendo doing these out of the box ideas, but they have to nail gaming first and prioritize it first because these are gaming consoles. It makes sense to own that "other console" because it's hands-down the best performer and because of it's exclusive library of titles now or upcoming.

It all comes down to priority I guess. I look to home automation devices for home automation. I'll look to media players for playing media (the Xbox, PS4, Wii, will never do what my popcorn hour or Dune does). I look to gaming consoles for gaming because I don't expect my smart thermostat or refrigerator to start releasing AAA games on it.
it just sounds like games are a secondary priority to you, and that's fine, but understand for most, games are checkbox number 1 for a gaming console.
Great post and I agree 100%. I've actually heard people say that the other console isn't next gen because it doesn't have tv features or snap etc. Gaming should always be priority on a Gaming console. The good thing is that Xbox now had Phil spencer who seems to be gaming focused first. Features are cool, but gaming should be priority. I also agree with many here that the Xbox can do without the kinnect. Voice commands can be achieved without a camera. I own both consoles and I really don't see the reason for a kinnect. Voice commands are also very limited on the one since it can take you to certain apps or settings, but a controller is still required to select some of the options.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #14948 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Why do you need a camera for that? Wouldn't a microphone built into the console achieve the same thing? You do realize that "next-gen" camera doesn't do anything yet, other than utilize the microphone built into it. Voice commands might be the future, but it's not going to be the future if it's tied to a locked eco-system ala microsoft/xbox/XBL. ..........................

It all comes down to priority I guess. I look to home automation devices for home automation. I'll look to media players for playing media (the Xbox, PS4, Wii, will never do what my popcorn hour or Dune does). I look to gaming consoles for gaming because I don't expect my smart thermostat or refrigerator to start releasing AAA games on it.
it just sounds like games are a secondary priority to you, and that's fine, but understand for most, games are checkbox number 1 for a gaming console.
Valid points.....but......in general terms "uni-taskers" are failures. Most devices are now moving in the direction of multitasking. While it may not work for you myself and many others are looking to remove devices from ths chain, not add. I's much prefer to use a single device for everything.

Voice/visual interface is the future and devices like the Kinect are exactly what's needed to push it to the mainstream. Just like masterchief one could use Cortana to interface with everything......phone, Xbox, computer, tablet. The added bonus is Cortana is now aware of what you do across all platforms. Personally I like the fact is signs recognizes you & signs you in - another family member joining a game is simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Just to provide the counter point, I point the Xbox One because of Kinect. My primary uses are Xbox Fitness and Kinect Sports Rivals.
Yep, use Fitness all the time, excellent. I like the heart rate monitor is fairly accurate at times - checked against my Polar it often only a few off = Kinect can do some amazing stuff. In my house Xbox Fitness, Kinect Sports Rivals, Zumba, and Just Dance all get used and ALL require the Kinect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

My question has to be what does MS gain by un-bundling it? If they knock off $100 they're still a less powerful system than the PS4 at the same price. This doesn't count on Sony not doing the same to their system thus still keeping the Xbox more expensive. They'd have to go at least $150 to gain any real advantage and I just can't see them doing it. I can see them biting the bullet and dropping to $400 with Kinect. Sony still might undercut them but at least they have a unique draw to their system and it's less expensive now. I'd be highly surprised to see them un-bundle Kinect. What they need to do is really play to it's advantages (voice control) and come up with a killer app that uses it. Until they do the controversy will continue...................
Well remember where we are - a gaming focused area, going to get a skewed view. I'd say they do need a "mainstream" killer app for Kinect..........though that's tough given the landscape. I see the value in it just from ease of use (and so do many others given this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

Great post and I agree 100%. I've actually heard people say that the other console isn't next gen because it doesn't have tv features or snap etc. Gaming should always be priority on a Gaming console. The good thing is that Xbox now had Phil spencer who seems to be gaming focused first. Features are cool, but gaming should be priority. I also agree with many here that the Xbox can do without the kinnect. Voice commands can be achieved without a camera. I own both consoles and I really don't see the reason for a kinnect. Voice commands are also very limited on the one since it can take you to certain apps or settings, but a controller is still required to select some of the options.
Well there's one little problem with "gaming uber alles"..........a stagnant market is a dead market. Check the landscape, dev costs for a AAA title are astronomical. The profit margins for even massively successful games like COD aren't very large. Just look at the publishers - we're down to a handful like Activision, EA, Ubisoft........ They're the only ones who can afford it, not many can. If you can expand the market you can get more sales (well that's the thought anyway). Take Xbox Fitness - MS is trying for a piece of the 3 billion $$$ home fitness market = expansion. I agree gaming should be high on the list but don't eschew other functions. Easy to google many an article that says "go with Xbox as it does more", people like multitaskers. I pretty much do all platforms (yep, even have a WiiU for Donkey Kong) but as yet I have zero reason to get a PS4. For what? Graphics I'll likely never notice in the middle of a firefight? Titles? Uncharted is over a year out. What else does it offer? Nothing compelling = ZERO reason to purchase...........and winner winner I'd miss TitanFall.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #14950 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 606

Hmmmm...... That looks interesting...

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #14951 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Can't get the video page to come up. The pictures look amazing.
post #14952 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the video was working earlier, but the page is down. They maybe be getting hit by a lot a traffic.
post #14953 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

post #14954 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Just noticed this preview update change today myself and I think it's smart. People were getting confused by no button being there the old way:
Quote:
•Get System Update button change. This update changes how the system update button works under Settings->System. Now the button will say "No update available" and be greyed out when there is no update, and it will say "Update console" and be active when an update is available.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #14955 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

Can't get the video page to come up. The pictures look amazing.

On YouTube:

Sunset Overdrive First Look (Click to show)

You may need to log into your YouTube account first for age verification rolleyes.gif.

post #14956 of 16371 Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Just noticed this preview update change today myself and I think it's smart. People were getting confused by no button being there the old way:
Quote:
•Get System Update button change. This update changes how the system update button works under Settings->System. Now the button will say "No update available" and be greyed out when there is no update, and it will say "Update console" and be active when an update is available.

I thought that I didn't get this update (which I didn't care because I don't think that there were any new features or fixes that affected me) but apparently it automatically installed. I just went to Settings->System and saw "No update available" and check the version that I had against that mentioned on the update forum.

post #14957 of 16371 Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

Valid points.....but......in general terms "uni-taskers" are failures. Most devices are now moving in the direction of multitasking. While it may not work for you myself and many others are looking to remove devices from ths chain, not add. I's much prefer to use a single device for everything.

I'm fine with devices multi-tasking but they have to do their primary function up to snuff. I'd prefer to use a single device for everything to, but I also prefer things to work well and be of the best quality. You usually cannot get that out of a single device. Media streaming/playing is a perfect example. The PS4, XboxOne or Wii-U are never going to be great players. Their codec/container support is always going to be limited, they aren't going to ever evolve past DLNA. The consoles don't have airplay (or whatever androids mirroring tech is called). The consoles don't play as nice (or at all) with my music ecosystem (Apple). My point, is that even if voice control like Kinnect is the future, it can't seamlessly integrate into my needs as a consumer. I still have to get out my Logitech, iPad or iPhone in order to control or get to all of my content. It's not only that it doesn't do that now, but odds are it's not going to do that in the future because that is the nature of these companies. They all want a locked eco-system. Microsoft isn't going to open up their voice-control so that I can engage it with my iPhone. Sony isn't going to let me start playing mkv container video files via SMB from my home server. So, in the end we are stuck with multiple devices anyway, might as well choice the devices that execute their primary task better.
slyderulz and emartins like this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #14958 of 16371 Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

I'm fine with devices multi-tasking but they have to do their primary function up to snuff. I'd prefer to use a single device for everything to, but I also prefer things to work well and be of the best quality. You usually cannot get that out of a single device. Media streaming/playing is a perfect example. The PS4, XboxOne or Wii-U are never going to be great players. Their codec/container support is always going to be limited, they aren't going to ever evolve past DLNA. The consoles don't have airplay (or whatever androids mirroring tech is called). The consoles don't play as nice (or at all) with my music ecosystem (Apple). My point, is that even if voice control like Kinnect is the future, it can't seamlessly integrate into my needs as a consumer. I still have to get out my Logitech, iPad or iPhone in order to control or get to all of my content. It's not only that it doesn't do that now, but odds are it's not going to do that in the future because that is the nature of these companies. They all want a locked eco-system. Microsoft isn't going to open up their voice-control so that I can engage it with my iPhone. Sony isn't going to let me start playing mkv container video files via SMB from my home server. So, in the end we are stuck with multiple devices anyway, might as well choice the devices that execute their primary task better.

Well said. In the distant future, maybe there'll be a display w/ the console, cable/sat box, router, and modem all built-in. As much as I would love that, it wouldn't do much good if it didn't preform well.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #14959 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm fine with devices multi-tasking but they have to do their primary function up to snuff. I'd prefer to use a single device for everything to, but I also prefer things to work well and be of the best quality.................
Well smile.gif I wasn't really referring to enthusiasts, more the genreal public.....same general public that is satisfied with crappy blurry pictures prodced by a cell phone. However one should never use Apple in any statement of compatibility as the reason nothing plays well with them is Apple's decision, they refuse to work with anything but themselves (typing this on a Mac). MS could open up voice through mobile phone but Apple would never do it, they're too closed to allow it to happen. Agree they could be better media centers......but how much does the general public really care was my question - for them they work well enough.

post #14960 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 606
SInce when does a cell produce blurry pictures? If the pictures are blurry than the user doesn't know how to take pictures with it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #14961 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

SInce when does a cell produce blurry pictures? If the pictures are blurry than the user doesn't know how to take pictures with it.

I broke my first Galaxy S4. The replacement phone can't take a focused picture. IF, and it's a big IF, I'm lucky, I might get a photo off you can distinguish the subject matter. I quit using it.
post #14962 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Weird. My galaxy s3 takes awesome pictures.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #14963 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

I broke my first Galaxy S4. The replacement phone can't take a focused picture. IF, and it's a big IF, I'm lucky, I might get a photo off you can distinguish the subject matter. I quit using it.

So get another replacement?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #14964 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Weird. My galaxy s3 takes awesome pictures.

yeah i have a s2 and the pics are great..
post #14965 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

So get another replacement?

Why? it's a phone. My Nikon takes phenomenal photos but it can't text worth a damn....I still like it. Point being...some phones are garbage at photos...not just the user.
post #14966 of 16371 Old 05-10-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:

Why? it's a phone. My Nikon takes phenomenal photos but it can't text worth a damn....I still like it. Point being...some phones are garbage at photos...not just the user.

well the samsung galaxy is not one of those "garbage phones"....
post #14967 of 16371 Old 05-11-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That's lkind of my point about multitaskers versus unitaskers. Multitaskers are fine for 90+% of the population. Just as the Xbox One is "meh" for stuff like playing BluRays a phone is as a camera ...........but as with the multi functions of the xbox, it's good enough for the vast majority of folks.

Quote:

biggrin.gif Yep, even the best phone boils down to a tiny sensor & a cheap lens...........but they do many other functions well.
Quote:

I wasn't making the point that phones are crap, simply as with the xbox they may not be the best at certain functions.

post #14968 of 16371 Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Well, mine is.
post #14969 of 16371 Old 05-11-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 196
All Samsung phones are garbage. I knew because I used to owned nothing but Samsung smartphones for 10 years or so until I had enough.
post #14970 of 16371 Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Phone war!!

My petunia can lick your geranium!
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Reply Xbox Area

Tags