The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 520 - AVS Forum
First ... 518  519  520 521  522  ... Last
Xbox Area > The Official Xbox One thread...
muzzymate's Avatar muzzymate 06:44 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I believe the 360 also originally had a size limitation for XBLA titles (256 MB maybe?) so that they could fit on their quickly-abandoned memory cards..

Not to get all snooty, but it was actually way worse. Download size limit was 50MB when XBLA was first introduced. Your reasoning was correct. It was so you could store your profile and one game on those tiny, overpriced 64MB memory cards for the 360 Core models. It was thankfully expanded to 260MB in early 2007.

http://www.1up.com/news/xbla-file-size-expands

Beeron's Avatar Beeron 07:55 AM 05-28-2014
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 08:12 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post

Not to get all snooty, but it was actually way worse. Download size limit was 50MB when XBLA was first introduced. Your reasoning was correct. It was so you could store your profile and one game on those tiny, overpriced 64MB memory cards for the 360 Core models. It was thankfully expanded to 260MB in early 2007.

http://www.1up.com/news/xbla-file-size-expands

Yeah I remember the sacrifices they had to make to SotN when it was ported over to XBLA. That was probably their biggest mistake last generation, not making the HDD standard (or at least making a 4GB console at the beginning). Glad there's no silliness like that this time. I'd like a removable HDD in case it corrupts/stops working/etc but that's such a remote possibility and the external HDD is such a great solution that I can overlook it. That we can add up to 36TB of space is amazing (assuming we'll ever get two 18TB drives). I wish Sony would implement something similar with the PS4 because at the moment the One clearly has the storage edge.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 09:14 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah I remember the sacrifices they had to make to SotN when it was ported over to XBLA. That was probably their biggest mistake last generation, not making the HDD standard (or at least making a 4GB console at the beginning). Glad there's no silliness like that this time. I'd like a removable HDD in case it corrupts/stops working/etc but that's such a remote possibility and the external HDD is such a great solution that I can overlook it. That we can add up to 36TB of space is amazing (assuming we'll ever get two 18TB drives). I wish Sony would implement something similar with the PS4 because at the moment the One clearly has the storage edge.

Yeah, just because you can change the internal drive is no excuse for not supporting external.

It'd also really be neat if MS enabled their readyboost tech from windows, so people could use a USB stick as a fast HDD cache. That would mitigate the need for an SSD in a lot of cases.
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 10:22 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, just because you can change the internal drive is no excuse for not supporting external.

It'd also really be neat if MS enabled their readyboost tech from windows, so people could use a USB stick as a fast HDD cache. That would mitigate the need for an SSD in a lot of cases.

I thought readyboost was for low ram systems? As I understand it the more ram your system has the less effect readyboost has. It was great when we had systems with 512-1024MB of ram but I don't see it being of much use with today's machines with 4-8GB standard. Maybe there's a way to utilize it with the Xbox but isn't that what the 8GB flash is for?
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 10:49 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I thought readyboost was for low ram systems? As I understand it the more ram your system has the less effect readyboost has. It was great when we had systems with 512-1024MB of ram but I don't see it being of much use with today's machines with 4-8GB standard. Maybe there's a way to utilize it with the Xbox but isn't that what the 8GB flash is for?

It helped out with low ram systems, because they'd have to constantly swap virtual memory to disk whenever they tried to load something new. So being able to pull in data off the USB stick at the same time the disk is swapping out helped out a lot. But it's basically just a disk cache that prioritizes storing data that's frequently randomly accessed. Anything they can do to ease the burden on the piddly stock drive is worth it.

I've never seen them or any dev actually acknowledge the existence of that onboard flash. I'm pretty sure that's mostly if not entirely dedicated to the apps.
totalownership's Avatar totalownership 02:37 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I got this 2TB hardrive from Target for 89 dollars. Works great so far installing games and at the same time playing titanfall. Not one glitchhttp://m.target.com/p/wd-my-book-2tb-external-hard-drive-wdbfjk0020hbk-nesn-black/-/A-14880070.

Damn you bori. Look what you made me do

aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 02:41 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It helped out with low ram systems, because they'd have to constantly swap virtual memory to disk whenever they tried to load something new. So being able to pull in data off the USB stick at the same time the disk is swapping out helped out a lot. But it's basically just a disk cache that prioritizes storing data that's frequently randomly accessed. Anything they can do to ease the burden on the piddly stock drive is worth it.

I've never seen them or any dev actually acknowledge the existence of that onboard flash. I'm pretty sure that's mostly if not entirely dedicated to the apps.

I thought the 8GB of flash was to keep a game or app in memory so it could start again where you left off?
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 02:50 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I thought the 8GB of flash was to keep a game or app in memory so it could start again where you left off?

It's just emmc, way too slow for games. I do believe it's where they keep the apps in a suspended state when you run out of memory on the app side though.

It keeps a game in memory by keeping it in memory. tongue.gif
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 02:52 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:

Did you read that somewhere? They could just keep main memory warm for that. When you put your PC into standby state and have it come back to where you left off in seconds (the major portion of that time spent spinning the system HDD up), Windows doesn't checkpoint the system memory to flash.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:02 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Did you read that somewhere? They could just keep main memory warm for that. When you put your PC into standby state and have it come back to where you left off in seconds (the major portion of that time spent spinning the system HDD up), Windows doesn't checkpoint the system memory to flash.

I thought I had read it somehwere last year. But who knows? Whatever I read was probably conjecture.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 06:25 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:

I ended up ordering these Vantec NST-266S3-BK enclosures from Newegg since they were 20% off($16 shipped) and seemed to have some good reviews online. Although I won't know for sure myself until I actually use them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392066

I just got my USB 3.0 enclosures set up and tested them on my PC. Using CrystalDiskMark I was getting around 400MB/s sequential read and sequential write speeds with the Crucial SSDs. Now I need to hook them up to my XBOnes to see how they do.

EDIT: Ok I used Crimson Dragon as a test. It is 6.8GB.

On my main XBOne I moved it from the internal drive to the first Crucial 480GB SSD. It took one minute and thirty six seconds.

Then I moved it to the second Crucial 480GB SSD. That only took forty seconds moving SSD to SSD. So at least those move speeds are much faster using USB 3.0 and SSDs.
bori's Avatar bori 10:57 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Nice. The only thing I recommend is to put black tape over the activity light. Don't need that thing flashing all the time.
Artman22's Avatar Artman22 11:02 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Did you get it from target?
totalownership's Avatar totalownership 11:36 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:

Nice. The only thing I recommend is to put black tape over the activity light. Don't need that thing flashing all the time.
I know what you mean but it doesn't really bother me. If this setup was in the livingroom I'd have it hidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

Yep. I was in the area getting some food and said "why the hell not"
I can always use it on my computer if I don't like using it with the Xbox.
bori's Avatar bori 04:59 AM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post

yes
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 05:37 AM 05-29-2014
Quote:

That's what LightDims are for.

http://www.lightdims.com/

Fortunately my USB 3.0 enclosures I got have the activity light on the back, by the USB connector. So you can't see it unless you look at the back of the components. Which isn't even possible in my second XBOne setup.
highd3f's Avatar highd3f 07:51 AM 05-29-2014
Suddenly everyone is running out of disk space on their 500GB Xbox One? Or is that full wallet in your pockets getting itchy? tongue.gif
spid's Avatar spid 07:53 AM 05-29-2014
Quantam Break will release in 2015, and will be shown more fully at Gamescon. This really makes me curious what Microsoft will show at E3.

pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 08:27 AM 05-29-2014
Man QB looks pretty interesting. Too bad it's a 2015 title but if they take their time and it's worth it then I can definitely wait. I agree though I wonder what MS will be showing if they're flooding the news feeds this early.
tsaville's Avatar tsaville 08:35 AM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post

Suddenly everyone is running out of disk space on their 500GB Xbox One? Or is that full wallet in your pockets getting itchy? tongue.gif

I was down to 100 GB free on the internal drive, so it was a pretty easy decision to spend 50 bucks to triple my storage.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 09:11 AM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post

I had under 100GB free on both of my XBOnes. With the two SSDs i got I will use for the games I'm currently playing. Hopefully the SSD prices will be cut in half again by the time I'm nearly out of space so I will be able to pick up a 1TB SSD.
metalsaber's Avatar metalsaber 10:27 AM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Quantam Break will release in 2015, and will be shown more fully at Gamescon. This really makes me curious what Microsoft will show at E3.

Does look good
FrankJ.Cone's Avatar FrankJ.Cone 01:39 PM 05-29-2014
Question for anyone with the update... I saw that all games will install to the external when room is available, but can you move some (lie smaller / less used ones) to the built in HDD?
bori's Avatar bori 02:28 PM 05-29-2014
Yes
FrankJ.Cone's Avatar FrankJ.Cone 06:19 PM 05-29-2014
Thank you. Just ordered a 500G Samsung SSD.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott 06:20 PM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

Question for anyone with the update... I saw that all games will install to the external when room is available, but can you move some (lie smaller / less used ones) to the built in HDD?

From what I've seen you have a choice; you can install to the external by default or to the internal by default.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 06:26 PM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

From what I've seen you have a choice; you can install to the external by default or to the internal by default.

Yes. That is correct. You just need to go to the settings and manage the storage and select the drive you want as the default for installs.

I was moving all my game content on both my XBOnes to the SSDs. But I had an issue on my main XBOne with CoD Ghosts. It wouldn't move, copy, or uninstall. So I ended resetting that XBOne to defaults. Which I guess erases the drive. So I'm just having it install everything again, even the apps, to the SSD.
SCJohnson135i's Avatar SCJohnson135i 08:28 PM 05-29-2014
Hi guys, does anybody know if there is a way to get Page Up/ Page Down commands onto a Harmony remote, you know, to scroll through the OneGuide faster????

Thanks!!
SJ
spid's Avatar spid 09:27 AM 05-30-2014
TellTale is bringing both seasons of the Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us to the Xbox One.

http://www.telltalegames.com/blog/72492/telltale-brings-hit-games-to-xbox-one-and-playstation-4
Tags: Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
First ... 518  519  520 521  522  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop