The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 535 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 533  534  535 536  537  ... Last
Xbox Area > The Official Xbox One thread...
OberstDanjeje's Avatar OberstDanjeje 12:21 AM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Any love for the new surface pro 3 here?


Very surprizing since AVS is normally ahead of the game.


Picked one up on Saturday for next to nothing thanks to trade-in deals. Incredible piece of hardware.


All Android and Apple tablets are officially garbage now, going on a few years, this should be the last nail in the coffin. Fire sale those old worthless toys before its too late.


Anyone get TitanFall up and running on one yet?

Even if this is quite OT I'm agreed with you

JediMastr's Avatar JediMastr 02:31 AM 06-23-2014
Surface Pro 3? I'm waiting on the i7 versions. Then maybe...
Nickff's Avatar Nickff 06:33 AM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs600cubed View Post
I don't see why they didn't make this cross-gen, I'd play it in a second.
See my earlier post...Pitchford said they didn't bother because there were way more PS3/360 owners.
Nickff's Avatar Nickff 06:35 AM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Any love for the new surface pro 3 here?


Very surprizing since AVS is normally ahead of the game.


Picked one up on Saturday for next to nothing thanks to trade-in deals. Incredible piece of hardware.


All Android and Apple tablets are officially garbage now, going on a few years, this should be the last nail in the coffin. Fire sale those old worthless toys before its too late.


Anyone get TitanFall up and running on one yet?
Our department is getting these sometime in July. I am looking forward to teaching with one. So far, I have loved teaching with tablet pcs...
jhoff80's Avatar jhoff80 10:16 AM 06-23-2014
Way off topic really. But I had a Pro 1, and then quickly upgraded to the Haswell-based Pro 2. I've been using bulkier tablets and convertible PCs for a long time now, so I love the Pro series. I don't personally see enough benefit in the 3, so I'll be awaiting until Broadwell before even considering anything. That being said, I know I'm odd in this, but I actually dislike the larger screen size of the Pro 3.

And if you're talking about it for gaming purposes (in which case maybe HTPC gaming is slightly more appropriate) apparently the Pro 3 throttles a ton more than the Pro 2.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/8077/m...e-pro-3-review
newfmp3's Avatar newfmp3 07:35 PM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Way off topic really. But I had a Pro 1, and then quickly upgraded to the Haswell-based Pro 2. I've been using bulkier tablets and convertible PCs for a long time now, so I love the Pro series. I don't personally see enough benefit in the 3, so I'll be awaiting until Broadwell before even considering anything. That being said, I know I'm odd in this, but I actually dislike the larger screen size of the Pro 3.

And if you're talking about it for gaming purposes (in which case maybe HTPC gaming is slightly more appropriate) apparently the Pro 3 throttles a ton more than the Pro 2.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/8077/m...e-pro-3-review

I still use a Surface Pro1. I'm a Sys admin, and I can do anything on this thing. I have not picked up my laptop since getting it and I got it at launch day. When I was a iPad user, I still needed my Laptop for everything else besides basic web browsing and email. But my Surface has been excellent, and the iPad is passed on to my woman. Looking to grab a Surface 3 next although I suspect the Surface 4 will be "THE" one to get due to new chips from Intel.
Cravit8's Avatar Cravit8 07:43 PM 06-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I'm surprised activision isn't putting more pressure on them to allow cross platform and cross gen play. Multiplayer games like this thrive off of people being able to play together. If half of your friends still own 360s, another 1/4 own a PS4, and another 1/4 own an Xbox one....destiny isn't going to be the game for your group. Nothing is, thanks to MS and Sony deliberately preventing it. But if there was a game everyone could play together, regardless of platform, it would sell a ton solely based on that.
just a hunch, but I think that's true.

I vote Mario Kart 8 to be that game.
spid's Avatar spid 04:57 AM 06-24-2014
Zombie Drive Ultimate Edition ($14.99) is out now for the Xbox One.


This is the trailer for the HD version of the game. I could not find a trailer for the ultimate edition. I had to do a bing search to find it on the marketplace.

You Tube

Bailey151's Avatar Bailey151 05:42 AM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
................ Looking to grab a Surface 3 next although I suspect the Surface 4 will be "THE" one to get due to new chips from Intel.
Yeah, off topic.....but....it's all tech fun. They say the broadwells will be the bomb but haswell is pretty thrifty for the performance they deliver. I have an air that can easily run 10-12hrs w/ an i7 = that's pretty darn good I say the move to 3:2 display is a huge deal. Went back to that with the Air, took some time but now I find it better for work. Terminal & documents are better w/ 3:2 - seems to be more real estate.

Back to the One................
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 10:46 AM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Zombie Drive Ultimate Edition ($14.99) is out now for the Xbox One.


This is the trailer for the HD version of the game. I could not find a trailer for the ultimate edition. I had to do a bing search to find it on the marketplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhtefZxZNQ
Man how many times are they going to release that game? Not sure what to think about all the gap-filler games being released. They clearly should have released these consoles this year instead of last.
spid's Avatar spid 10:59 AM 06-24-2014
spid's Avatar spid 12:49 PM 06-24-2014
RBI Baseball 14 and Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark is also available.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/24/r-...e-on-xbox-one/

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/24/tr...-one-xbox-360/
jhoff80's Avatar jhoff80 03:56 PM 06-24-2014
Hmm. I want RBI Baseball, but it's probably a little expensive for what it is.


I'd also be shocked if in a few months, it's not one of the Games with Gold deals (seems ripe to be picked in October). I'll probably end up getting it, because it'll be played far less when the season is ending, but still.
FrankJ.Cone's Avatar FrankJ.Cone 05:56 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Tempted but I will still be playing Diablo from the 19th and Sep 9th is Destiny. Tough launch date...
rightintel's Avatar rightintel 06:11 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
RBI Baseball 14 and Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark is also available.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/24/r-...e-on-xbox-one/

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/24/tr...-one-xbox-360/
RBI on the old Nintendo...was a blast back in the day. We played it all night drinking Jolt cola!
JaremyP's Avatar JaremyP 07:10 PM 06-24-2014
Found this today. A Plex app for Xbox One being worked on that sounds downright amazing.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...x-one-is-a-go/
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 09:08 PM 06-24-2014
Phil Spencer Promises Xbox One Family Sharing Is Still on the Roadmap; Explains Challenges Holding it Back


http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/...he-challenges/
tampabuc's Avatar tampabuc 09:56 PM 06-24-2014
Ok, I know this is going way out on a limb here but this AVS so let's just dream that tech like this becomes standard in gaming sooner rather than later...


Dolby Atmos at Home
Dolby Atmos is Coming to Blu-ray

Transformers IMAX+3D+Atmos
Transformers 4: Age of Extinction (2014)
http://michaelbay.com/2014/06/21/mic...4-and-imax-3d/


I sincerely hope that the current gen console makers and game developers understand that continued advancements and entertainment experiences like this are important.

The current lack of basic features like 3D, proper HD Audio, and especially 1080p max resolutions are very concerning. Those technologies are very, very old now and we're not getting any younger.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 10:26 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Ok, I know this is going way out on a limb here but this AVS so let's just dream that tech like this becomes standard in gaming sooner rather than later...


Dolby Atmos at Home
Dolby Atmos is Coming to Blu-ray

Transformers IMAX+3D+Atmos
Transformers 4: Age of Extinction (2014)
http://michaelbay.com/2014/06/21/mic...4-and-imax-3d/


I sincerely hope that the current gen console makers and game developers understand that continued advancements and entertainment experiences like this are important.

The current lack of basic features like 3D, proper HD Audio, and especially 1080p max resolutions are very concerning. Those technologies are very, very old now and we're not getting any younger.
ANy BD player that fully conforms to the BD specs will support Dolby Atmos playback. Of course you would still need a Dolby Atmos capable receiver.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 10:29 PM 06-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Phil Spencer Promises Xbox One Family Sharing Is Still on the Roadmap; Explains Challenges Holding it Back


http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/...he-challenges/
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSHOCKERS
...He also added that Microsoft is still looking at digital distribution improvements like pre-load. They just want to do it “at the right time and especially in the right way.”...

What the heck can be difficult about digital pre-load?
spid's Avatar spid 07:15 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What the heck can be difficult about digital pre-load?
Lots of things...

Hardware:

You have to allocate enough servers around the world to allow for preloading. This is addition to the hundreds of thousands of servers they have already allocated for the other aspects of gaming.

When do you get to order?

Do you only get to pre-order a month from now? Only after a game goes gold? Can you pre-order a year from now and pay down the debt monthly? What happens if the game is delayed or cancelled? Do people get their money back? No, OK are we ready to deal with a storm complaints when that happens. Do we have a pre-order switch program in case the customer changes their mind two weeks beforehand?


Security

How do you keep people from playing the game early? How can the back end tell the difference between a store breaking street date, and someone hacking the Xbox files to allow them play early.

Everything sounds easy until you have to do it. My other guess is it wasn't that big of a priority for them. They had other things they wanted to fix first and the doing digital pre-orders wasn't big on their agenda. Especially when they have to plan for all their other digital plans.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 07:21 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Lots of things...

Hardware:

You have to allocate enough servers around the world to allow for preloading. This is addition to the hundreds of thousands of servers they have already allocated for the other aspects of gaming.

When do you get to order?

Do you only get to pre-order a month from now? Only after a game goes gold? Can you pre-order a year from now and pay down the debt monthly? What happens if the game is delayed or cancelled? Do people get their money back? No, OK are we ready to deal with a storm complaints when that happens. Do we have a pre-order switch program in case the customer changes their mind two weeks beforehand?


Security

How do you keep people from playing the game early? How can the back end tell the difference between a store breaking street date, and someone hacking the Xbox files to allow them play early.

Everything sounds easy until you have to do it. My other guess is it wasn't that big of a priority for them. They had other things they wanted to fix first and the doing digital pre-orders wasn't big on their agenda. Especially when they have to plan for all their other digital plans.
The only difference I see from a normal release title is that it is just downloaded early. Once a title is released everything is available the same way. The only thing I see is that once it's downloaded they just need a mechanism that prevents the game from being played until a certain time and date. Sony is doing it with the PSN, so I see no reason why it should be any more difficult for MS with XBL.

ANd in the end it should help remove some load from launch day downloads. By spreading out some of that demand to the days and weeks prior to release. WHich should benefit both sides.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 08:13 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only difference I see from a normal release title is that it is just downloaded early. Once a title is released everything is available the same way. The only thing I see is that once it's downloaded they just need a mechanism that prevents the game from being played until a certain time and date. Sony is doing it with the PSN, so I see no reason why it should be any more difficult for MS with XBL.

ANd in the end it should help remove some load from launch day downloads. By spreading out some of that demand to the days and weeks prior to release. WHich should benefit both sides.

Easy, just hold back the executable, (which is only a few MB). You can't play a game without the engine.
spid's Avatar spid 08:44 AM 06-25-2014
Another day another stealth release for Another World out now for $7.99.

http://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One...b-0f3e0d80808d
kevin g.'s Avatar kevin g. 08:48 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Easy, just hold back the executable, (which is only a few MB). You can't play a game without the engine.
Agreed...And it shouldn't be too much trouble, they are doing this now. I have Halo: Spartan Assault and Max: Curse of the Brotherhood sitting on my One, (at 100% download) and am getting notifications that the "Download Stopped". I am not allowed to play either, because my LIVE subscription lapsed earlier this month.
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 09:12 AM 06-25-2014
I'd like to have the ability to pre-load a download bought from the store but it's not that big a deal to me. If they want to bring it out at some point this year great but there are other areas where they could improve the system that I'd like to see focused on first.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 09:23 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I'd like to have the ability to pre-load a download bought from the store but it's not that big a deal to me. If they want to bring it out at some point this year great but there are other areas where they could improve the system that I'd like to see focused on first.

I just don't get how such a basic feature wasn't in there from the start.
kevin g.'s Avatar kevin g. 09:35 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I just don't get how such a basic feature wasn't in there from the start.
There are a TON of "basic features" that they skipped on this version.
How is DLNA not a part of a "Next Gen" machine?
How are there so many party/chat issues? It was flawless with the 360.
How can Dolby and DTS be fubared?
It's as if it was the first time the whole Xbox One team was new/recent college grads, and never worked on the Xbox team before...
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 10:04 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I just don't get how such a basic feature wasn't in there from the start.
well that's the issue with both of these new consoles. Basic features were missing because they released too early. These should have come out this fall. I know people were anxious to get them but they clearly weren't ready h hence why we are in the situation were in. Props to Sony for getting it finally so hopefully MS gets it sooner rather than later. Still its not that bug a deal to me in the end and if delaying it means they focus on more important issues then so be it.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 10:41 AM 06-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
well that's the issue with both of these new consoles. Basic features were missing because they released too early. These should have come out this fall. I know people were anxious to get them but they clearly weren't ready h hence why we are in the situation were in. Props to Sony for getting it finally so hopefully MS gets it sooner rather than later. Still its not that bug a deal to me in the end and if delaying it means they focus on more important issues then so be it.

I guess they knew they could just release them half assed, and enough people would still buy them. It's not like you have a choice between a bunch of different xboxes, so there's a lot less pressure on them to get the little things right out of the gate.

Both sides have handled the generational transition super poorly, I'm still appalled at the state of these boxes compared to the last gen.
Tags: Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
First ... 533  534  535 536  537  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop