post #16081 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I picked up an Xbox One off of craigslist earlier this week and finally got around to playing it (and Titanfall) last night. The kids were still awake and playing outside but I knew that the game needed to "install" first so I threw the disc in and walked away. When I finally got the kids to bed and wanted to play the install had an "error", and asked me to try again. I ejected the disc and popped it back in. Same thing. I eventually Googled the problem and landed on a Microsoft support page that said the install failed because there was an update available for the game and that I needed to disconnect from the internet in order to install. It then proceeded to tell me that the only way I could disconnect from the internet is to pull the ethernet cable, which was a pain because I have my media rack cut into the wall and I have to access it from behind, remove panels, ect.

I have Ryse coming in from Gamefly, am I going to have this problem with every game that isn't a fresh release and that has a "update" available for it?
Why do you have to remove panels to remove it from the Internet? You have to remove panels every time you want to put a game in? If you can access the Xbox to insert a disc then you can access the internet cable behind it to remove it from the Xbox. If the space is that tight that you can't put your hand over top the xbox to unplug it then you will have a serious heating/cooling issue, plus you should have enough slack in your cables to pull the xbox out some to reach the cable plugged into the back. If you are using wireless, you can go into the Xbox dashboard and turn off wireless. Easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16082 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Why do you have to remove panels to remove it from the Internet? You have to remove panels every time you want to put a game in? If you can access the Xbox to insert a disc then you can access the internet cable behind it to remove it from the Xbox. If the space is that tight that you can't put your hand over top the xbox to unplug it then you will have a serious heating/cooling issue, plus you should have enough slack in your cables to pull the xbox out some to reach the cable plugged into the back. If you are using wireless, you can go into the Xbox dashboard and turn off wireless. Easy.
I can access the front of the console but the way the rack is framed and buttoned up it's not easy to access the ethernet port.

I have not had any issues with Xbox360, Wii-U, PS3, or the PS4 from a cooling perspective, nor any amplifier or AV reciever.

There is ample cooling. Cooling doesn't require enough hand space for unplugging cables that need not be regularly unplugged.

I don't need cable slack and my cable management is tidy, access is from the rear if taking out or adding new equipment. It's sort of ridiculous that I'd need to unplug the ethernet cable everytime I install a game, if that is what you're getting at.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #16083 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
I can access the front of the console but the way the rack is framed and buttoned up it's not easy to access the ethernet port.

I have not had any issues with Xbox360, Wii-U, PS3, or the PS4 from a cooling perspective, nor any amplifier or AV reciever.

There is ample cooling. Cooling doesn't require enough hand space for unplugging cables that need not be regularly unplugged.

I don't need cable slack and my cable management is tidy, access is from the rear if taking out or adding new equipment. It's sort of ridiculous that I'd need to unplug the ethernet cable everytime I install a game, if that is what you're getting at.
Not sure what is going on with your Xbox but that isn't how it is supposed to update.

The 5.0 is here
post #16084 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Not sure what is going on with your Xbox but that isn't how it is supposed to update.
The update was fine, it's the installation that is the issue. It seems since because I was installing Titanfall for the very first time and because there was an update/patch on the server that blocked the install. Unplugging the Ethernet (or disconnecting wifi had I been on wifi) means the console can't check for patches/updates and lets the installation proceed. There is a bug in the OS that locked out the installation of the game otherwise.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...-process-stops
------------------------------------------------------
When you try to install an Xbox One game from a disc, the installation process stops at or near 0%. No matter how long you wait, the installation process remains at or near 0%.
Note This issue can occur if you are connected to Xbox Live.

Solution

To resolve this issue, disconnect from Xbox Live, install the game, and then reconnect to Xbox Live. Here’s how:
  1. Disconnect your Xbox One console from Xbox Live. To disconnect your console from Xbox Live:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty wonky problem and an even wonkier solution.

post #16085 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you talking about the intital update that you have to do before anything else?

The 5.0 is here
post #16086 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Are you talking about the intital update that you have to do before anything else?
It's not an issue with any update. It's in issue with a game install to the harddrive.

I put Titanfall disc in for the first time. Installation failed. Googled problem. Problem is that there is a patch for Titanfall and something in the OS prevents the game from installing if you're connected to XBL and a patch is detected. The solution is to disconnect from the internet, then install the game, then reconnect to the internet and apply the game patch. Afterwards I didn't have any problems.

Not having heard of this issue before, I wondered if I'm going to have the same problem with future game discs (i.e., Ryse that is currently on it's way to me via Gamefly).

I don't want to have to keep unplugging my ethernet cable everytime I stick a game-disc in for the first time.

post #16087 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
It's not an issue with any update. It's in issue with a game install to the harddrive.

I put Titanfall disc in for the first time. Installation failed. Googled problem. Problem is that there is a patch for Titanfall and something in the OS prevents the game from installing if you're connected to XBL and a patch is detected. The solution is to disconnect from the internet, then install the game, then reconnect to the internet and apply the game patch. Afterwards I didn't have any problems.

Not having heard of this issue before, I wondered if I'm going to have the same problem with future game discs (i.e., Ryse that is currently on it's way to me via Gamefly).

I don't want to have to keep unplugging my ethernet cable everytime I stick a game-disc in for the first time.

That can't be how it normally works. There's just no way.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16088 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
That can't be how it normally works. There's just no way.
I hope it's not, tis why I asked. If so, I'm just going to move on over to wifi, at least then I can disconnect it via the OS.

MS has the support page with the "Solution" nevertheless....

post #16089 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can't you just sign out of live?
dbburns likes this.

post #16090 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Seems like a design flaw which needs to be addressed to support people who buy their games on disc.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16091 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Turn your power off to your modem, router, or switch. Whatever you use. Should be easier than worrying about unplugging the cable. Unless that is the requirement, which seems strange indeed.
post #16092 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
So much for that launch parity clause then?
A non-issue that gets overblown on the internet...news at 11.
post #16093 of 16357 Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

https://mobile.twitter.com/YTCreator...22459413053442

60 FPS: Motion-intense videos will look even better on @you Tube when we launch support for 48 and even 60 frames per second, coming soon.

The 5.0 is here
post #16094 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I picked up an Xbox One off of craigslist earlier this week and finally got around to playing it (and Titanfall) last night. The kids were still awake and playing outside but I knew that the game needed to "install" first so I threw the disc in and walked away. When I finally got the kids to bed and wanted to play the install had an "error", and asked me to try again. I ejected the disc and popped it back in. Same thing. I eventually Googled the problem and landed on a Microsoft support page that said the install failed because there was an update available for the game and that I needed to disconnect from the internet in order to install. It then proceeded to tell me that the only way I could disconnect from the internet is to pull the ethernet cable, which was a pain because I have my media rack cut into the wall and I have to access it from behind, remove panels, ect.

I have Ryse coming in from Gamefly, am I going to have this problem with every game that isn't a fresh release and that has a "update" available for it?
Surprised you bought an Xbox one lol. What's your overall impression so far?
post #16095 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Surprised you bought an Xbox one lol. What's your overall impression so far?
Why are you surprised?

There is a lot to like about it, and quite a bit to dislike.

I think the OS is meh as a whole, there are some great ideas in there for sure, but I can't tell if it's good ideas naturally or just good ideas of trying to cram metro into the living room. I like pinning things, which works great for the left page and everything on the center page is ok for the most part, the store is mess.

The controller is fine, I've never been one to pick at a controller though. The DS3 worked for me, the DS4 is better than the DS3 for sure, and the XboxOne controller is fine as well. I do dislike the left and right bumpers though, always have.

My biggest complaints right now:

1) No way to extend Kinect, I don't have equipment at the front of the room in the theater.
2) Some apps stall for a long time when launched and some even just crash on a black screen. Makes it feel very Windows but not in a good way. Feel like I need to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager

I don't have much love for Microsoft as a company and the decisions they make, but I am a game consumer and there are studios that for whatever reasons partner with Microsoft because it's good for them and their business and I want to play their games (i.e., Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, ect). I don't see myself playing any multi-platform titles on the machine outside of maybe a shooter like COD where I might have more shooter friends playing on XBL than PSN.

To be clear, I paid $300 for the console with Kinect. Picked up Titanfall for $25. Ended up getting lucky in a promo yesterday that landed me $60 in my microsoft account and I think the store had a glitch last night that gave me Battlefield 4 for free. (I think). I plan to do that same promo in the up coming weeks and If I walk away with $60 each time, the value proposition propelling me back into the Xbox ecosystem is pretty hard to ignore. At retail, not so much.

post #16096 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I mentioned this in my previous post, I think I got Battlefield 4 last night for free on the Xbox store, however I'm new to the Xbox store on Xbox One (and it's been a long time since I was active on my 360) so I might just be wrong. When I clicked on various games every game had a price, most were $59.99. Ryse showed a discounted price for a sale at $49.99 I think. For some reason, Battlefield 4 showed as "Free", the same as all of the apps like ESPN, Netflix, ect. I don't think Battlefield 4 is one of the games with gold deals. This happened at about 11:30 last night so I was heading to bed and I wasn't going to wait for the 30+ gigs to download to see if it works, I guess I'll know today.

Is there a way to check your "download list", I've been to Xbox.com but I don't seem to be finding it.

post #16097 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
This is what I am wondering as well. Is this not an option on the One? It is on the 360.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #16098 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post
This is what I am wondering as well. Is this not an option on the One? It is on the 360.
Nope, tried that. Even when you're signed out of live with your account the console is still connected to the internet. I'm assuming Ryse will get here today so I shall know soon enough if it's an ongoing problem. I'm also assuming that there has been at least one game update since the disc was stamped.

post #16099 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The developers of Contrast did a Q & A on Reddit. Here are a couple highlights

When asked about the parity clause..

Quote:
Hah, this had to be the first question, didn't it?
So, I'll preface the answer by saying that we have been asking Microsoft for years to allow developers to self publish. We had been talking about self publishing Contrast since at least early 2012, to anyone at MS who would listen. When self publishing was announced for MS, it took us by surprise - we had no idea it was coming, which is a bit of a bugger because we had just signed a publishing deal for the 360. So, when they announced it, we were already committed to four platforms on launch, and for an 8 person team, that's pretty crazy already.
However, we still asked for dev kits from the middle of last year. Unfortunately, it took some time (as you guys know) for the ID program to get up and running, and we didn't get kits until after release. I think that's pretty reasonable - Microsoft was creating a new program, and priority probably should have gone to other devs who were not launching on other platforms, who wanted kits. But, obviously it meant that we couldn't have launched on Xbox One even if we tried.
I think that's the gist of why we "got around" the parity clause. But Microsoft's reasoning is their own. They are pretty flexible in unique situations, which I think is a good thing.

On the inclusion in Playstation Plus

Quote:
We got asked We have a pretty good relationship with Sony, and when it looked like we were going to make the launch date, we started talking about it. We had hoped that the marketing support would mean we'd reach way more people.
The PS+ and GwG programs are great for visibility. There is a substantial number of people who would never have known who we are, except for PS+.
It'll be really interesting to see how GwG grows over the next year, I think.
There is more in the link below

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comm...contrast_ausa/
post #16100 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So there is a parity clause, but they'll waive it if you ask really nicely?

post #16101 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I think they'll realize they're gonna have to drop the parity clause. Too much competition, devs don't really need to launch on XBL right away, they can wait and still make money since there will be Xbox-only fans who will buy the game. MS seems to be on a good roll changing the bad policies and actually trying to compete now; this seems like the last vestige of that old way of thinking.
post #16102 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I think they'll realize they're gonna have to drop the parity clause. Too much competition, devs don't really need to launch on XBL right away, they can wait and still make money since there will be Xbox-only fans who will buy the game. MS seems to be on a good roll changing the bad policies and actually trying to compete now; this seems like the last vestige of that old way of thinking.

Yeah...they're slowly realizing they need devs more than devs need them. It's such an arrogant stance to take. If they want launch parity, they need to earn it, not demand it.

I wonder how deep that clause goes though? Just parity with ps4, or also other platforms like PC, android, etc?

post #16103 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I popped the Ryse disc in the console while home for lunch. Install started and told me there was a update, I had to confirm the update, and then installation proceeded. I did not need to unplug the Ethernet cable or any of the other nonsense.

I also checked Battlefield 4 and the game launches and let me get into a match. I quit after that point, so it looks like I did indeed land a free copy of the game courtesy of a momentary store glitch. Game looks like arse though, but the price was right. I played the campaign on PS4, and didn't have a chance to get into the multi, I guess now I'll get that chance.

post #16104 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I still wonder how much they get from MS/Sony when the title is given out with Games with Gold/PS+

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #16105 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still wonder how much they get from MS/Sony when the title is given out with Games with Gold/PS+
My guess is it varies. Probably depends on the developer, the game, when the game released, ect. I'd think Sony paid more for Resogun, a new game not on any other platform from a more established but small developer, than they paid for something that was rehashed from PC and over a year old.

post #16106 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My guess is it varies. Probably depends on the developer, the game, when the game released, ect. I'd think Sony paid more for Resogun, a new game not on any other platform from a more established but small developer, than they paid for something that was rehashed from PC and over a year old.

Yeah, the contrast dev said in the AMA that every deal is different. Could be lump sum, per unit etc....whatever you can negotiate.

post #16107 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 152
Quote:

I'm assuming your Xbox One is hardwired? Any chance you can just slide it forward a little and unplug the ethernet cable from the Xbox One instead? I have never head of needing to be disconnected from the internet for any updates to install. All of my games that I have installed have been online and that is both DD and disc based installs. I did have one problem with Killer Instinct classic where it would get to 99% and not finish. I ended up deleted it and reinstalling and that resolved my issue.

Were you able to play anything else or was Titanfall the only game you had tried at that point?

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16108 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Xbox.com will be updated next week to show Xbox One profiles

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/27/585...clips-xbox-one
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by spid; 06-27-2014 at 03:59 PM.
post #16109 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Support of Xbox One on the xbox.com site is horrible. It needs to do everything for Xbox One that it does for Xbox 360, preferably in the same way.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16110 of 16357 Old 06-27-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Support of Xbox One on the xbox.com site is horrible. It needs to do everything for Xbox One that it does for Xbox 360, preferably in the same way.
You said a mouthful there. I found it to be pretty worthless(and frustrating).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page