Forum Jump: 
 157Likes

post #16231 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Nobody stops you from continuing to play your old games on your old consoles. I have an Xbox One and my old Xbox 360 is still connected and I still play with it. I have a stack of games purchased on sale that I fully intend to work my way through, as well as the Rock Band games which aren't likely to come to new gen consoles any time soon, if ever. (Talk about a DLC porting problem; I've got RB DLC that I probably paid over $1000 for (660 songs, most at $2 each, some $1), collected over 4 years; many RB freaks have much, much more. Add to that probably another $1000 worth of controllers which aren't likely to be made portable to a new gen console either ).
spid and Sorax like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16232 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Nobody stops you from continuing to play your old games on your old consoles. I have an Xbox One and my old Xbox 360 is still connected and I still play with it. I have a stack of games purchased on sale that I fully intend to work my way through, as well as the Rock Band games which aren't likely to come to new gen consoles any time soon, if ever. (Talk about a DLC porting problem; I've got RB DLC that I probably paid over $1000 for (660 songs, most at $2 each, some $1), collected over 4 years; many RB freaks have much, much more. Add to that probably another $1000 worth of controllers which aren't likely to be made portable to a new gen console either ).

It's a matter of practicality though. Why should I need to keep all that hooked up? Why should I accept that older games and accessories don't work? Why should anyone put up with this? These are problems of their own design....they didn't need to switch from x86 to PPC then back to x86. I can still use my 360 controller on new PC games, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, you can't just plug a 360 controller into the x1 over USB?

At least in prior gens both sides heavily subsidized the console, so it was somewhat of a fair deal. A give away the razor and gouge on the blades kind of thing. Now they're taking a profit on the hardware without balancing it out on the other end. It's such a raw deal.
Leo_Ames likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16233 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
The chief editor of polygon captured my frustration with these consoles much more eloquently than I'm capable of:

http://tsogaming.com/2013/10/18/what...list-10142013/

On top of that, I'd add that the forced split of multiplayer both across gens and across competing platforms is destroying MP on consoles.
Ditto BD. That guy explained exactly what I think. I started to realize somewhere in the middle of the old defunct "First Shot Next Generation" thread that the new consoles had potential to completely underachieve and underwhelm me. That realization caused me to take a completely fresh look at PC. And lo & behold...I discovered PC had capacity to satisfy all of my past needs and future wants. It is both fully backward compatible and Future forward with VR and multiple emerging A/V technologies. I'm a collector and tinkerer. I've been forced to accept that game consoles don't appeal to that profile very much.

I have much more to say about this. And the future possibility of salvaging my Xbox Original & Xbox 360 titles via VR & HTPC streaming. But I will comment about it in that area as the opportunity presents itself. Or open discussion about it more appropriately over there. But that was a very good interview. It captured all of my frustrations with consoles too. Not just Xbox One.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.
post #16234 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Ditto BD. That guy explained exactly what I think. I started to realize somewhere in the middle of the old defunct "First Shot Next Generation" thread that the new consoles had potential to completely underachieve and underwhelm me. That realization caused me to take a completely fresh look at PC. And lo & behold...I discovered PC had to capacity to satisfy all of my past needs and future wants. It is both fully backward compatible and Future forward with VR and multiple emerging A/V technologies. I'm a collector and tinkerer. I've been forced to accept that game consoles don't appeal to that profile very much.

I have much more to say about this. And the future possibility of salvaging my Xbox Original & Xbox 360 titles via VR & HTPC streaming. But I will comment about it in that area as the opportunity presents itself. Or open discussion about it more appropriately over there. But that was a very interview. That captured all of my frustrations with consoles too. Not just Xbox One.

Yeah, I'm not singling out MS. They deserve just as much credit for everything they've done with PC as they deserve condemnation for the way they (and Sony/Nintendo) are exploiting console gamers.

post #16235 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
And the future possibility of salvaging my Xbox Original & Xbox 360 titles via VR & HTPC streaming.

What do you mean by VR in this statement?

Sony's approach to backward compatibility of PS3 games is their PlayStation Now game streaming service, a lot like OnLive (or the newer GameNow) for console games. The question being whether they'll provide a way to access those games without paying for them if you've bought them for PS3. It also requires an Internet connection and consumes bandwidth which will not be popular with some.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16236 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sony's approach to backward compatibility of PS3 games is their PlayStation Now game streaming service, a lot like OnLive (or the newer GameNow) for console games. The question being whether they'll provide a way to access those games without paying for them if you've bought them for PS3. It also requires an Internet connection and consumes bandwidth which will not be popular with some.

I think they already flat out said previous owners don't get access.

post #16237 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Maybe I'm just not a nostalgic gamer, but I've never understood the constant clamoring for backwards compatibility in consoles. To the best of my knowledge, BC didn't even exist prior to the PS2. Even since then, only Nintendo has fully embraced BC in their consoles. MS had limited support for Xbox games (through emulation) on the 360, and Sony quickly cut BC from the PS3 to cut costs (and now offers us the "privilege" of paying for a service to play games we've already purchased).

Now where did I put that box full of 90s PC games that I never finished (or started for that matter)...
post #16238 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Michael: I didn't want to discuss this over here. But in the HTPC area...Oculus Rift section. Where we would discuss the hurdles involved around the idea more than merits and demerits here. But the idea resides around articles like the following.
http://oculusrift-blog.com/xbox-ps3-solution-rift/2351/
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...D7F7CCC98C5455
Palmer Luckey has waded in on one of the AVS threads himself in favor of this possibility. He also bought the company that made Kinect and the Xbox Controller for MS. Plus MS just made Kinect 2-0 available to the PC market in an open & unlocked OS package. But my point was that back door access to Xbox Original and 360 games may be doable via PC. Not so much as pure VR...but certainly as more immersive with HTPC or Oculus Rift functionality. No need to respond to this hypothesis over here though. Because I don't want to drive this thread off topic. I'll open conversation about it in the HTPC area for full discussion. Because I'm really intrigued about how to do this legally and technically myself.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #16239 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Maybe I'm just not a nostalgic gamer, but I've never understood the constant clamoring for backwards compatibility in consoles. To the best of my knowledge, BC didn't even exist prior to the PS2. Even since then, only Nintendo has fully embraced BC in their consoles. MS had limited support for Xbox games (through emulation) on the 360, and Sony quickly cut BC from the PS3 to cut costs (and now offers us the "privilege" of paying for a service to play games we've already purchased).

Now where did I put that box full of 90s PC games that I never finished (or started for that matter)...

Some of us are nostalgic. I still love old games. Maybe I'll never play madden 07 even again, but I'll definitely play super Mario world again.

But also, backwards compatibility takes on a different meaning in the context of modding and new hardware. Its like the editor of polygon said....consoles treat your purchases as disposable. On a more open platform, the best games age in reverse. You should see the things people have done with quake, it looks fully next gen with some mods, and even supports VR. And you can *still* play it online....even against people playing the stock version from almost 20 years ago.

Up against that, transferring DLC over from last gen to current gen is the least they could do. I'm assuming you're expected to buy the core game again as well?

post #16240 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Michael: I didn't want to discuss this over here. But in the HTPC area...Oculus Rift section. Where we would discuss the hurdles involved around the idea more than merits and demerits here. But the idea resides around articles like the following.
http://oculusrift-blog.com/xbox-ps3-solution-rift/2351/
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...D7F7CCC98C5455
Palmer Luckey has waded in on one of the AVS threads himself in favor of this possibility. He also bought the company that made Kinect and the Xbox Controller for MS. Plus MS just made Kinect 2-0 available to the PC market in an open & unlocked OS package. But my point was that back door access to Xbox Original and 360 games may be doable via PC. Not so much as pure VR...but certainly as more immersive with HTPC or Oculus Rift functionality. No need to respond to this hypothesis over here though. Because I don't want to drive this thread off topic. I'll open conversation about it in the HTPC area for full discussion. Because I'm really intrigued about how to do this legally and technically myself.

Lol, that's nuts. But I don't see anything illegal there, it's just doing multiple stages of processing on the video signal. You could do the same thing with a NES. Capture the signal, scale it to 16:9, post convert 2D to 3D, convert the 3D format to SBS, warp it to conform to the oculus optics, and you're done. Might as well throw your darblet in the chain while you're at it.
barrelbelly likes this.

Last edited by bd2003; 07-16-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #16241 of 16807 Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Oops, I got my pinball games mixed up. It's Pinball Arcade that had the publisher issues, not Pinball FX2. Yeah, seems clearly Microsoft's fault here.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #16242 of 16807 Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanted to check to see if anyone else has noticed a subtle change with Kinect and hand gestures since the July update. What I've noticed is that in order for me to wake this function up I need to get a bit closer to the kinect then once my hand is recognized it seems to work normally. I've also noticed that if you stop using the feature for say 5 mins I find that to use it again I must perform the same step mentioned earlier. I'm wondering if MS has made this feature a tad harder to wake up so as to avoid any unintentional chaos that can be caused by this feature say when out of the blue you're watching a movie and decide to rub your eye etc......
post #16243 of 16807 Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

Backward Compatibility has been around since the beginning on console gaming. The Atari 5200 had a peripheral adaptor that allowed it to play Atari 2600 games. The SNES had an adaptor to allow it to play NES games (a 3rd party company made it). A converter existed to play Sega Master system games on the Sega Genesis. Then of course there is the PS2 and the PS3 fat.

Backward compatibility helps ease the transition from the old generation to the new. I would say it was more important back in the days when people had fewer inputs on their TV's, but to day's TV's include at least 3 HDMI ports and several legacy connections as well. And with the growing prevalence of AVRs in Home Theater systems, the number of connection options increases considerably. However, convenience wise it can't be beat. Because I bought a PS3 Slim, instead of the original "Fat" PS3 (was having financial issues at the time and just couldn't afford it) I still need to have my PS2 hooked up to my HT setup. Fortunately the PS3 is fully BC with PS1 games so when I was explaining what Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was to my 7 and 5 year old little boys and they wanted to try it, all I had to do was bust out my old SotN disc and pop it into my PS3 and they got to experience one of the best games of the PS1 era. Even with all the great games available today with their fancy graphics, my boys loved that game instantly and played it exclusively for weeks before going back to their newer games. They still ask me to bust it out every once in a while.

THAT is why backward compatibility is awesome and needs to be standard in all consoles. In my opinion anyway.
barrelbelly likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #16244 of 16807 Old 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I bought the xbox one stereo headset because it came with the adaptor for only $30 on newegg. The headphones are not very good. Do you recommend adding a portable headset amp? I'm not familiar with these devices. Would it work with the xbox one controller. Also, any good ones for around 50 bucks?

Thanks!
post #16245 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Xbox One Sales More Than Double in June with New $399 Option and Unveiling of Holiday Games Lineup

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/xbox-on...double-in-june

Over the past month, we’ve seen a strong spike in interest in our Xbox One console options, including the new $399 offering, and the amazing lineup of games announced during E3. Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales.

We’re excited to welcome so many fans to Xbox this summer and we can’t wait for them to get their hands on the wide selection of new games available this year on Xbox One, including Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Ori and the Blind Forest. Xbox One is the only place you can play these games along with creative independent titles and blockbusters such as Assassin’s Creed Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Destiny, Evolve, Grand Theft Auto V, and dozens more. We’re honored that Xbox One was awarded with the best games line-up of 2014 by game critics at E3 and our fans have a lot of amazing new games to look forward to in the coming months.

Starting in August with the release of Madden NFL 15, new blockbuster hits will launch for Xbox One at an incredible pace throughout the fall, as we head into the holiday season. Gamers love the holidays and we are lining up incredible deals and special promotions to celebrate. The fun is just getting started and we can’t wait to share more exciting news soon.

*- Internal data based on retail calendar and sold through numbers
post #16246 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Doom officially announced for the Xbox One. Here are some impressions

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...-quakecon-2014
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
post #16247 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Doom officially announced for the Xbox One. Here are some impressions

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...-quakecon-2014
What was the last game that did this? "Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. NO REGENERATING HEALTH.
" for no reloading your clips. It's going to feel weird not having to reload a weapon!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16248 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
"we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales."

They doubled a catastophic month in which they announced the $399 SKU which made people wait unti June to purchase. I wonder if they will announce sales being cut in half for July? Actually they are averaging 30k/month, so July should be a 120k unless they drop to lower than April levels.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #16249 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

For those of you in the Preview program you will start getting it soon. Wpcentral has an image of some of the new features. Low Battery Indicator, the ability to buy from either Smartglass/Xbox.com and download while you are will be enabled.

http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-one-14...s-new-features

Last edited by spid; 07-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.
post #16250 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
For those are you in the Preview program you will start getting it soon. Wpcentral has an image of some of the new features. Low Battery Indicator, the ability to buy from either Smartglass/Xbox.com and download while you are will be enabled.

http://www.wpcentral.com/xbox-one-14...s-new-features
thanks . haven't received the update yet. Says no new update available yet.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #16251 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

These features were sorely lacking compared to 360, so glad to see them. Is anyone else thinking too that the auto-download thing sounds a lot like a preparatory step for preloading and preorders?

post #16252 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Preview for Styx: Master of Shadows.

http://www.totalxbox.com/79510/video...-for-xbox-one/
post #16253 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
thanks . haven't received the update yet. Says no new update available yet.

They do it in waves, even for people in the preview program. 1407 had issues and took a week or two to roll out to the entire preview pool.

post #16254 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
What was the last game that did this? "Old school mechanics. No reloading your clip, hold as many weapons as you want, health and ammo pick-ups etc. NO REGENERATING HEALTH.

" for no reloading your clips. It's going to feel weird not having to reload a weapon!

Serious Sam has been keeping it going, although I think even he needs to reload.

I wonder how far they're gonna take it. No checkpoints and unlimited quick saves?

post #16255 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

3D Blu-ray support also coming...

Quote:

In the next update, we’ll improve a number of social features to make sharing your gaming experiences with friends better and easier. Here’s a shortlist of features rolling out next week to those with early access to the Xbox One system update:
  • Activity feed updates: We’re adding new ways for you to interact with friends in the activity feed. The interface will change to a single column scrolling list that is longer and includes more content. We’ll add the ability to post text to your feed, and to “like” and comment on feed items. You can share game clips and anything else in the feed with friends either publically (to your activity feed) or privately (as an attachment to a message). You’ll also be notified when anyone likes, comments on or shares your items. Each user will get a personal feed on their profile, so you can see what specific friends have been up to. And, with SmartGlass, you can see what your friends have shared to their activity feed and “like” specific posts (additional activity feed support coming in future SmartGlass updates).
  • Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.
  • Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.
  • Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.
  • Disable notifications during video: Adding the ability to turn off notifications based feedback we heard from you.
  • Enabling 3D Blu-ray: An update to the Blu-ray player app will enable 3D Blu-ray functionality on Xbox One.
  • OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Live TV listings can be configured for four new countries as part of this month’s Preview program. And now there is an OneGuide Issue Reporter available under the TV & OneGuide settings, Troubleshooting section.
  • Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”

Last edited by jhoff80; 07-18-2014 at 10:07 AM.
post #16256 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Backward Compatibility has been around since the beginning on console gaming. The Atari 5200 had a peripheral adaptor that allowed it to play Atari 2600 games. The SNES had an adaptor to allow it to play NES games (a 3rd party company made it). A converter existed to play Sega Master system games on the Sega Genesis. Then of course there is the PS2 and the PS3 fat.

Backward compatibility helps ease the transition from the old generation to the new.

THAT is why backward compatibility is awesome and needs to be standard in all consoles. In my opinion anyway.
Bingo! It also appeals to collectors...And people who eschew too much clutter...And cross generational/platform gaming...And PC gamers...And Nintendo gamers...and mobile gamers (based on the kind of games they play on handhelds). In other words...the biggest gaming segment as a group...by far in the marketplace, when you combine it all. I highly suspect it means the least to early adopters. Especially based on a few comments about it from some console owners. But widespread adoption of HDTV in the last generation made it vitally important with new consoles. And I am shocked they missed the obvious. The success of Wii...that looked great on HDTV to average users last gen should have been a major hint.

My fearless prediction is this. The first major console maker that admits this glaring omission. And serves it up...free of charge or just embedded within their new console specs. Will accelerate sales so fast away from the pack...it will be a rout! Sales on these devices have stalled for a lot of reasons (XB1 in USA...PS4 in Japan...Nintendo all over). But I bet BC is very high up the list on all of them for secondary and late adopters. I know it is el numero dos reason I don't have any of them right now. But I would buy any of them in a heartbeat if it offered BC.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-18-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #16257 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 164
@jhoff80 good post for the new updates. the 3D blu ray playback I know a few people on this thread have been wanting that, so they should be happy to see that. I'm more excited for the Mobile purchase. If your console is set for automatically updating then it will start the download.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16258 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 378
So MS beats Sony in the 3d blu ray support. Kind of shocked but also excited.
slyderulz likes this.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #16259 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Count me as one of those who's ecstatic about the 3D blu-ray support. Hopefully I can retire my trusty old PS3 now.

I know MS is struggling in the sales battle with Sony, but I have to hand it to them for continuing to pump out quality updates every month. I'm in the preview program, so I should be getting this soon.
centking and Arutha_conDoin like this.
post #16260 of 16807 Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
So MS beats Sony in the 3d blu ray support. Kind of shocked but also excited.
Thank God one of them finally did!! Now I can dump the PS3!!

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page