The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 545 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16321 of 16332 Old Today, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
To be fair, even Major Nelson's original post said that 3D Blu-ray would require a Blu-ray player app update.
In some ways I think we understand that, but 1408 said that it was bringing 3D BD playback to the X1. Not, bringing 3D BD back at some point. I can wait a little bit, but am still disappointed.

Also appears that PS4 is getting 3D playback next week for the PS4. So MS dropped the ball on this imo.

Last edited by metalsaber; Today at 04:42 AM.
metalsaber is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16322 of 16332 Old Today, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
slyderulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Armpit of Civilization
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
To be fair, even Major Nelson's original post said that 3D Blu-ray would require a Blu-ray player app update.
We all understand that the bluray player app would need to be updated, but why not as part of the core 1408 update? This 'app' model offers alot of flexibility in terms of adding functions to the box...but would anyone dispute that BR plaback is a core function of the Xbox since the BR drive is built in?

They can roll it out however they want but since both an OS and application update were required they should have been packaged IMO.

It's like deploying server code for a web service and telling your customer that a new function has been added to their mobile app without updating the app. Why even tell the customer until the app is updated? We'd get crucified in my business if we deployed code like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
In some ways I think we understand that, but 1408 said that it was bringing 3D BD playback to the X1. Not, bringing 3D BD back at some point. I can wait a little bit, but am still disappointed.

Also appears that PS4 is getting 3D playback next week for the PS4. So MS dropped the ball on this imo.
MS dropped the ball in being first (at least so far)...but I think they forced Sony's hand in this case. I will hand it to MS, they are once again proving the benefits of a console provided by a software company over a hardware company (Sony) in terms of support with their frequent updates. It's really their competitive advantage since Sony has the obvious advantage in hardware this round.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

 

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.


Thats what I do.

slyderulz is online now  
post #16323 of 16332 Old Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 79
^^

Yup I agree it's nice to them pushing one another.
metalsaber is online now  
post #16324 of 16332 Old Today, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
RemoWilliams84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
We all understand that the bluray player app would need to be updated, but why not as part of the core 1408 update? This 'app' model offers alot of flexibility in terms of adding functions to the box...but would anyone dispute that BR plaback is a core function of the Xbox since the BR drive is built in?

They can roll it out however they want but since both an OS and application update were required they should have been packaged IMO.

It's like deploying server code for a web service and telling your customer that a new function has been added to their mobile app without updating the app. Why even tell the customer until the app is updated? We'd get crucified in my business if we deployed code like that



MS dropped the ball in being first (at least so far)...but I think they forced Sony's hand in this case. I will hand it to MS, they are once again proving the benefits of a console provided by a software company over a hardware company (Sony) in terms of support with their frequent updates. It's really their competitive advantage since Sony has the obvious advantage in hardware this round.
They haven't dropped the ball yet. It's still in the preview stages. Now if the blu ray app hasn't been updated by the time the update is officialy released, then yeah, that's a little silly.
slyderulz likes this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

RemoWilliams84 is offline  
post #16325 of 16332 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
We all understand that the bluray player app would need to be updated, but why not as part of the core 1408 update? This 'app' model offers alot of flexibility in terms of adding functions to the box...but would anyone dispute that BR plaback is a core function of the Xbox since the BR drive is built in?

They can roll it out however they want but since both an OS and application update were required they should have been packaged IMO.

It's like deploying server code for a web service and telling your customer that a new function has been added to their mobile app without updating the app. Why even tell the customer until the app is updated? We'd get crucified in my business if we deployed code like that
Maybe there is some confusion...the blu-ray update is currently not in the Preview roll out. A program setup to test non-final OS releases. The official release will not come for weeks so there is no deception or reason to be crucified. I know it maybe upsetting that it isn't out immediately, but lets gets some perspective here 3D playback is minor feature for 99% of the userbase.
spid is online now  
post #16326 of 16332 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
tsaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Surely they will update the blu-ray app at some point during the preview. What's the point of the preview if we can't test out one of the main features?

I got the 1408 update this morning, and I noticed that "Allow 3D" is one of the options in the display settings. I was hoping that would allow for 3D on the hdmi input, but that does not appear to be the case.
slyderulz likes this.
tsaville is online now  
post #16327 of 16332 Old Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Surely they will update the blu-ray app at some point during the preview. What's the point of the preview if we can't test out one of the main features?

I got the 1408 update this morning, and I noticed that "Allow 3D" is one of the options in the display settings. I was hoping that would allow for 3D on the hdmi input, but that does not appear to be the case.
Yes. On my second XBOne setup it did not automatically select the 3D checkbox. When I selected it, the XBOne output changed to 3D(as reported by my TV) and I had to confirm that I wanted the setting. Once I selected yes, it switched back to 2D. So with this new software, the XBOne is definitely capable of sending out a 3D signal.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme


Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 07:53 AM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #16328 of 16332 Old Today, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
tsaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. On my second XBOne setup it did not automatically select the 3D checkbox. When I selected it, the XBOne output changed to 3D(as reported by my TV) and I had to confirm that I wanted the setting. Once I selected yes, it switched back to 2D. So with this new software, the XBOne is definitely capable of sending out a 3D signal.
Yes, I noticed the same thing. I was just hoping I would now be able to watch the 3D channels available from DirecTV (connected to the hdmi input on the X1), but it does not seem to be passing through the 3D signal. Guess we'll have to wait for a future update for that one...
tsaville is online now  
post #16329 of 16332 Old Today, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
slyderulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Armpit of Civilization
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Maybe there is some confusion...the blu-ray update is currently not in the Preview roll out. A program setup to test non-final OS releases. The official release will not come for weeks so there is no deception or reason to be crucified. I know it maybe upsetting that it isn't out immediately, but lets gets some perspective here 3D playback is minor feature for 99% of the userbase.
1408 does not list 3D playback as a 'New Feature' in the preview application.

However there are direct statements from Hyrb and others that the bluray app update would roll out as part of the preview program:

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

This is deceptive and confusing. I also don't agree that MS and Sony are both rushing to get this feature out if it is a minor feature for 99 percent of the userbase as you stated, but you're entitled to your opinion...just don't assert that your opinion is shared by 99 percent of us. A larger percentage than that on AVS in both console forums has clamored for this since launch and are excited by the introduction of this feature.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

 

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.


Thats what I do.

slyderulz is online now  
post #16330 of 16332 Old Today, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
tsaville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
1408 does not list 3D playback as a 'New Feature' in the preview application.

However there are direct statements from Hyrb and others that the bluray app update would roll out as part of the preview program:

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

This is deceptive and confusing. I also don't agree that MS and Sony are both rushing to get this feature out if it is a minor feature for 99 percent of the userbase as you stated, but you're entitled to your opinion...just don't assert that your opinion is shared by 99 percent of us. A larger percentage than that on AVS in both console forums has clamored for this since launch and are excited by the introduction of this feature.
Even Phil Spencer said they received "a lot of requests" for 3D support.
tsaville is online now  
post #16331 of 16332 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
1408 does not list 3D playback as a 'New Feature' in the preview application.

However there are direct statements from Hyrb and others that the bluray app update would roll out as part of the preview program:

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

This is deceptive and confusing. I also don't agree that MS and Sony are both rushing to get this feature out if it is a minor feature for 99 percent of the userbase as you stated, but you're entitled to your opinion...just don't assert that your opinion is shared by 99 percent of us. A larger percentage than that on AVS in both console forums has clamored for this since launch and are excited by the introduction of this feature.
The release is still weeks away. If they rolled out the update next week it would still be part of the preview roll out. There is nothing deceptive about this. Not every feature is going to roll out at once during testing if that is confusing maybe you should opt-out of the preview program and wait like the rest of us for the official release.
spid is online now  
post #16332 of 16332 Old Today, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
slyderulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Armpit of Civilization
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
The release is still weeks away. If they rolled out the update next week it would still be part of the preview roll out. There is nothing deceptive about this. Not every feature is going to roll out at once during testing if that is confusing maybe you should opt-out of the preview program and wait like the rest of us for the official release.
There's really no reason for you to be confrontation or defensive with statements like this. I stated it was confusing and a bit misleading...more than a few others have stated the same. Do we have to agree with you???

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

 

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.


Thats what I do.

slyderulz is online now  
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off