post #16321 of 16348 Old Today, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
To be fair, even Major Nelson's original post said that 3D Blu-ray would require a Blu-ray player app update.
In some ways I think we understand that, but 1408 said that it was bringing 3D BD playback to the X1. Not, bringing 3D BD back at some point. I can wait a little bit, but am still disappointed.

Also appears that PS4 is getting 3D playback next week for the PS4. So MS dropped the ball on this imo.

Last edited by metalsaber; Today at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16322 of 16348 Old Today, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
To be fair, even Major Nelson's original post said that 3D Blu-ray would require a Blu-ray player app update.
We all understand that the bluray player app would need to be updated, but why not as part of the core 1408 update? This 'app' model offers alot of flexibility in terms of adding functions to the box...but would anyone dispute that BR plaback is a core function of the Xbox since the BR drive is built in?

They can roll it out however they want but since both an OS and application update were required they should have been packaged IMO.

It's like deploying server code for a web service and telling your customer that a new function has been added to their mobile app without updating the app. Why even tell the customer until the app is updated? We'd get crucified in my business if we deployed code like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
In some ways I think we understand that, but 1408 said that it was bringing 3D BD playback to the X1. Not, bringing 3D BD back at some point. I can wait a little bit, but am still disappointed.

Also appears that PS4 is getting 3D playback next week for the PS4. So MS dropped the ball on this imo.
MS dropped the ball in being first (at least so far)...but I think they forced Sony's hand in this case. I will hand it to MS, they are once again proving the benefits of a console provided by a software company over a hardware company (Sony) in terms of support with their frequent updates. It's really their competitive advantage since Sony has the obvious advantage in hardware this round.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #16323 of 16348 Old Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

^^

Yup I agree it's nice to them pushing one another.
post #16324 of 16348 Old Today, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
We all understand that the bluray player app would need to be updated, but why not as part of the core 1408 update? This 'app' model offers alot of flexibility in terms of adding functions to the box...but would anyone dispute that BR plaback is a core function of the Xbox since the BR drive is built in?

They can roll it out however they want but since both an OS and application update were required they should have been packaged IMO.

It's like deploying server code for a web service and telling your customer that a new function has been added to their mobile app without updating the app. Why even tell the customer until the app is updated? We'd get crucified in my business if we deployed code like that

MS dropped the ball in being first (at least so far)...but I think they forced Sony's hand in this case. I will hand it to MS, they are once again proving the benefits of a console provided by a software company over a hardware company (Sony) in terms of support with their frequent updates. It's really their competitive advantage since Sony has the obvious advantage in hardware this round.
They haven't dropped the ball yet. It's still in the preview stages. Now if the blu ray app hasn't been updated by the time the update is officialy released, then yeah, that's a little silly.
slyderulz likes this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #16325 of 16348 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

Maybe there is some confusion...the blu-ray update is currently not in the Preview roll out. A program setup to test non-final OS releases. The official release will not come for weeks so there is no deception or reason to be crucified. I know it maybe upsetting that it isn't out immediately, but lets gets some perspective here 3D playback is minor feature for 99% of the userbase.
post #16326 of 16348 Old Today, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Surely they will update the blu-ray app at some point during the preview. What's the point of the preview if we can't test out one of the main features?

I got the 1408 update this morning, and I noticed that "Allow 3D" is one of the options in the display settings. I was hoping that would allow for 3D on the hdmi input, but that does not appear to be the case.
slyderulz likes this.
post #16327 of 16348 Old Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Surely they will update the blu-ray app at some point during the preview. What's the point of the preview if we can't test out one of the main features?

I got the 1408 update this morning, and I noticed that "Allow 3D" is one of the options in the display settings. I was hoping that would allow for 3D on the hdmi input, but that does not appear to be the case.
Yes. On my second XBOne setup it did not automatically select the 3D checkbox. When I selected it, the XBOne output changed to 3D(as reported by my TV) and I had to confirm that I wanted the setting. Once I selected yes, it switched back to 2D. So with this new software, the XBOne is definitely capable of sending out a 3D signal.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 07:53 AM.
post #16328 of 16348 Old Today, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. On my second XBOne setup it did not automatically select the 3D checkbox. When I selected it, the XBOne output changed to 3D(as reported by my TV) and I had to confirm that I wanted the setting. Once I selected yes, it switched back to 2D. So with this new software, the XBOne is definitely capable of sending out a 3D signal.
Yes, I noticed the same thing. I was just hoping I would now be able to watch the 3D channels available from DirecTV (connected to the hdmi input on the X1), but it does not seem to be passing through the 3D signal. Guess we'll have to wait for a future update for that one...
post #16329 of 16348 Old Today, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Maybe there is some confusion...the blu-ray update is currently not in the Preview roll out. A program setup to test non-final OS releases. The official release will not come for weeks so there is no deception or reason to be crucified. I know it maybe upsetting that it isn't out immediately, but lets gets some perspective here 3D playback is minor feature for 99% of the userbase.
1408 does not list 3D playback as a 'New Feature' in the preview application.

However there are direct statements from Hyrb and others that the bluray app update would roll out as part of the preview program:

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/18/next-xbox-one-update/

This is deceptive and confusing. I also don't agree that MS and Sony are both rushing to get this feature out if it is a minor feature for 99 percent of the userbase as you stated, but you're entitled to your opinion...just don't assert that your opinion is shared by 99 percent of us. A larger percentage than that on AVS in both console forums has clamored for this since launch and are excited by the introduction of this feature.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #16330 of 16348 Old Today, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

However there are direct statements from Hyrb and others that the bluray app update would roll out as part of the preview program:

This is deceptive and confusing. I also don't agree that MS and Sony are both rushing to get this feature out if it is a minor feature for 99 percent of the userbase as you stated, but you're entitled to your opinion...just don't assert that your opinion is shared by 99 percent of us. A larger percentage than that on AVS in both console forums has clamored for this since launch and are excited by the introduction of this feature.
Even Phil Spencer said they received "a lot of requests" for 3D support.
post #16331 of 16348 Old Today, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The release is still weeks away. If they rolled out the update next week it would still be part of the preview roll out. There is nothing deceptive about this. Not every feature is going to roll out at once during testing if that is confusing maybe you should opt-out of the preview program and wait like the rest of us for the official release.
post #16332 of 16348 Old Today, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The release is still weeks away. If they rolled out the update next week it would still be part of the preview roll out. There is nothing deceptive about this. Not every feature is going to roll out at once during testing if that is confusing maybe you should opt-out of the preview program and wait like the rest of us for the official release.
There's really no reason for you to be confrontational or defensive with statements like this.

I stated it was confusing and a bit misleading...more than a few others have stated the same. Why do we have to agree with you???

Thats what I do.

post #16333 of 16348 Old Today, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's really no reason for you to be confrontational or defensive with statements like this.

I stated it was confusing and a bit misleading...more than a few others have stated the same. Why do we have to agree with you???
You seem very upset over a feature that has not been added...yet. That is what I am reacting to. Other people have complained with a less venom than you seem to put in your post.

When others are going "Aww man it sucks it is not in now I hope they add it soon" it seems odd to hear someone else accuse Microsoft of lying and deception.
post #16334 of 16348 Old Today, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You seem very upset over a feature that has not been added...yet. That is what I am reacting to. Other people have complained with a less venom than you seem to put in your post.

When others are going "Aww man it sucks it is not in now I hope they add it soon" it seems odd to hear someone else accuse Microsoft of lying and deception.
Obviously you're going to hear what you want to hear. Lying is your word, not mine...I still assert that the way the update was publicized leads to the conclusion that it would be available as part of the 1408 update in the preview program. That's my opinion that a few others seem to share.

The only 'venom' in any post was the the suggestion that the way this was done was misleading/decptive...choose your descriptor here, the posts are there and folks can make up their own minds.

You were 'upset' enough to suggest that I opt out of the preview program for expressing that I thought this update was communicated poorly. I find it odd that you care at all. Why does it upset you that some of us may not like the way this 'update' was communicated? Why do I need to opt out of the preview program because I don't like the way it was communicated?

You're suggestion that I not express something I don't like is very reminiscent of the 'Kinect is part of the Xbox One, it's not going away so deal with it" sentiment that I thought most folks had gotten over in here by now.

If I don't like something, including communication from MS or Sony, I'm going to express it...otherwise they wont change.

This is why there is a preview program, and I already gave Microsoft feedback on it

Thats what I do.

post #16335 of 16348 Old Today, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Obviously you're going to hear what you want to hear. Lying is your word, not mine...I still assert that the way the update was publicized leads to the conclusion that it would be available as part of the 1408 update in the preview program. That's my opinion that a few others seem to share.

The only 'venom' in any post was the the suggestion that the way this was done was misleading/decptive...choose your descriptor here, the posts are there and folks can make up their own minds.

You were 'upset' enough to suggest that I opt out of the preview program for expressing that I thought this update was communicated poorly. I find it odd that you care at all. Why does it upset you that some of us may not like the way this 'update' was communicated? Why do I need to opt out of the preview program because I don't like the way it was communicated?

You're suggestion that I not express something I don't like is very reminiscent of the 'Kinect is part of the Xbox One, it's not going away so deal with it" sentiment that I thought most folks had gotten over in here by now.

If I don't like something, including communication from MS or Sony, I'm going to express it...otherwise they wont change.

This is why there is a preview program, and I already gave Microsoft feedback on it
It is the month of July and it releases to the public in August. If it comes today, Saturday or before the public release it is part of the preview. This isn't the first preview to have rolling updates. For all we know they want to see how stable in the wild the current update code is before releasing the app update within the same preview.

The 5.0 is here
post #16336 of 16348 Old Today, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
It is the month of July and it releases to the public in August. If it comes today, Saturday or before the public release it is part of the preview. This isn't the first preview to have rolling updates. For all we know they want to see how stable in the wild the current update code is before releasing the app update within the same preview.
How you been MBJ? Man, I don't think we've gamed since...it was a spartan ops mission on Halo I think.

It could still come and I mentioned that as a 'yet' in an earlier post. I still think it was communicated poorly either way .

and if the Sony update comes out next week before the app update as part of the preview program, it's going to look pretty bad for microsoft PR since the addition of 3D BR playback by MS before Sony has been major gaming industry news this week.

I'm sure it will come out and it will work. I'm just amazed at how poor alot of the marketing is by both companies still when it comes to this stuff.

Thats what I do.

Last edited by slyderulz; Today at 09:49 AM.
post #16337 of 16348 Old Today, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was not upset, but you did seem upset so I made a suggestion to opt-out to avoid future aggravation.

And I normally only say something along these lines when it seems like anger has overtaken constructive criticism.
post #16338 of 16348 Old Today, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
How you been MBJ? Man, I don't think we've gamed since...it was a spartan ops mission on Halo I think.

It could still come and I mentioned that as a 'yet' in an earlier post. I still think it was communicated poorly either way .

and if the Sony update comes out next week before the app update as part of the preview program, it's going to look pretty bad for microsoft PR since the addition of 3D BR playback by MS before Sony has been major gaming industry news this week.

I'm sure it will come out and it will work. I'm just amazed at how poor alot of the marketing is by both companies still when it comes to this stuff.
Been good man just busy with life lol. Wife and kids are looking forward to the Halo collection so we can play Spartan Ops on the One. Been playing a lot of Ghost squads with my son. About to get back to Titanfall.

The 5.0 is here
post #16339 of 16348 Old Today, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes will launch fXbox One on Sept. 23.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/24/593...rrives-sept-23
post #16340 of 16348 Old Today, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was not upset, but you did seem upset so I made a suggestion to opt-out to avoid future aggravation.

And I normally only say something along these lines when it seems like anger has overtaken constructive criticism.
Neither of us can control what the other one may read into a post. Nature of the beast unfortunately. I hope looking back you still don't think I was upset by this...disappointed by the timing for sure. I had an 8 year old waiting to watch 'Frozen' in 3D as the console was loading the preview update (it's an import from the UK). Her disappointment was more than visible when we got the message that our BR player still didn't support 3D after the update...and I had to research for 30 minutes after that to find out why so I could explain it to her.

That's subtext that doesn't always come through in a post....and the extent of any emotional attachment I have with this update or feature

Thats what I do.

post #16341 of 16348 Old Today, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 599
I still don't get the issue with 3D with the game console? I would think anyone that really wanted to watch a 3D BD would have picked up a 3D BD player? They had the Sony S5100 3D BD player going for under $80 earlier this year. Which is an excellent player. I would have thought the game console would be a secondary player?

Since this is now the opposite of what it was like in 2006. When the PS3, at $500, cost half as much as a stand alone BD player(which were around $1k). But now you can buy excellent BD players with 3D for much, much less than the cost of a game console.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #16342 of 16348 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still don't get the issue with 3D with the game console? I would think anyone that really wanted to watch a 3D BD would have picked up a 3D BD player? They had the Sony S5100 3D BD player going for under $80 earlier this year. Which is an excellent player. I would have thought the game console would be a secondary player?

Since this is now the opposite of what it was like in 2006. When the PS3, at $500, cost half as much as a stand alone BD player(which were around $1k). But now you can buy excellent BD players with 3D for much, much less than the cost of a game console.
Normally I'd agree, but when MS touts the X1 as the all in one entertainment system, one kind of expects it to be all in one.
post #16343 of 16348 Old Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Normally I'd agree, but when MS touts the X1 as the all in one entertainment system, one kind of expects it to be all in one.

^^^THIS.
That is at the core of all of this bantering, back and forth, I'm afraid. I, personally could care less about 3D support. Some here do, and that's ok with me.
MS went to the trouble of adding a Blu Ray player at the behest of their fanbase. It seems to be a fairly simple question. Why would they not have the foresight to add 3D support for a somewhat powerful mini PC? As mentioned above, a 3D BR player, that (read: ) DOES NOT PLAY GAMES, or tout themselves to be the center of your living room, can be had for a lot less. They are simpler, and do not run a complex OS for 3D playback.
I have said it before, they forgot what was important to their fans. It's as if they completely forgot how to develop a game platform. With so many things implemented correctly and developed over time on the 360, one can only hope that "over time" we start to see the same commitment from them.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #16344 of 16348 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Personally I haven't used the BDROM drive have no intention of ever using it. If there'd been a SKU without it for less money, I'd have gone for that. I couldn't care less about 3D and have never had a pair of 3D glasses on my face. I'm buying a new TV soon (Vizio P-Series whenever it hits the market) and it doesn't have 3D capability; I'm glad that none of the cost went to that feature.

But that's just me .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16345 of 16348 Old Today, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I actually do use the X1 as an "all in one" device. 90% of my home theater use goes through the X1 (TV, blu-ray, games, netflix, amazon, youtube, etc). The other 10% goes to the PS4 (rare since I have little to play on it) or the PS3 (3D blu ray). Adding in 3D support gives me little reason to use any other devices.
post #16346 of 16348 Old Today, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 475
I can see where you'd use a lot of the non-video-gaming entertainment functions if you didn't have anything else attached to your TV (and possibly AVR) in that room. (I tried the TV watching thing and hated it). But thing draws 21 times as much power as my Roku 3 when streaming video (74W vs 3.5W) and the Roku is attached to the same system, so I don't use it for streaming. I very, very rarely watch discs these days and would use the Panasonic BDP also attached to the same system. I play games on game consoles, period.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16347 of 16348 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I actually do use the X1 as an "all in one" device. 90% of my home theater use goes through the X1 (TV, blu-ray, games, netflix, amazon, youtube, etc). The other 10% goes to the PS4 (rare since I have little to play on it) or the PS3 (3D blu ray). Adding in 3D support gives me little reason to use any other devices.
Count me in that minority. I use my X1 for everything. The PS4 is used just for PS4 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I can see where you'd use a lot of the non-video-gaming entertainment functions if you didn't have anything else attached to your TV (and possibly AVR) in that room. (I tried the TV watching thing and hated it). But thing draws 21 times as much power as my Roku 3 when streaming video (74W vs 3.5W) and the Roku is attached to the same system, so I don't use it for streaming. I very, very rarely watch discs these days and would use the Panasonic BDP also attached to the same system. I play games on game consoles, period.
Since it's the center of my entertainment, the power consumption isn't a big deal. So I can be watching a Pirates/Penguins game, and when a break happens, I can swap over to playing some games. Then swap to netflix. Just nice being able to do it all from there. As with the above quote, we could be in the minority, but I just like not having to have 20 different devices in order to do 1 specific thing.
post #16348 of 16348 Old Today, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having a calibration issue with my Xbox One that has me stumped.

TV is a samsung F5350 60" plasma. My previous source was a ps3, in which I calibrated successfully with (full grey scale and gamma calibration using an i1d2 colorimeter/HCFR).

I have run multiple calibration discs and cannot get the white level set correctly. All bars (230 - 255) flash, regardless of what I do. Contrast is already maxed. Some setting somewhere has to be lowering my white level - I just can't figure out what. I've gone through every setting that I can find - nothing made any difference.

Both sources (PS3 and XB1) were, of course, set to RGB limited. (RGB full had no effect on helping white leve, I tried). I also tried changing out the HDMI cable, no change.

Any ideas?
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page