AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Interesting, I wonder if Sony thought this would hurt PS Now. Assuming you can play last years EA games at a higher cost through PS Now this could be why they thought it would be a bad value.

The way I see it right now is I paid $30 for Fifa, Madden and Peggle 2. If they add more games thats fine by me. I will also be more hesitant on buying EA games that I really don't want right away in hopes it will be added into this service.

I'm guessing they also saw EAs future plans and didn't want to relinquish their control yet. But they have a lot less to gain, and a lot more to lose.

It all makes sense though. EA wants you to buy directly through them, because they make the most money that way. They obviously want to do the same on consoles, but how?

Microsoft knows they're in the weaker position, and they're also pivoting towards being more cross platform in general. So they're more open to this in the first place, and more willing to take a less beneficial deal to get a leg up on Sony. Microsoft also has much less reason to be fearful of origin, because origin runs on windows.

Its a smart move by both parties. Microsoft gets to set the precedent that third parties need to cough up a little something to bring their cross platform games services to Xbox. It reconciles the insanity of having origin on windows but not Xbox for the upcoming Xbox/PC platform merge, and potentially puts lots of EA games into a revived games for windows service (aka Xbox games) that a lot of PC gamers will initially turn their nose up at. It sets the groundwork for a buy once, play anywhere model for EA - Sony has nothing to gain by promoting that future.

Meanwhile in the short term, EA gets to monetize their older games that they end up selling for $5 a pop on origin anyway, and they raise the profile of origin in general. And both get to cut out retail, since it's not a product that GameStop can also offer.

Very, very clever.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; Today at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16412 of 16414 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Its a smart move by both parties. Microsoft gets to set the precedent that third parties need to cough up a little something to bring their cross platform games services to Xbox. It reconciles the insanity of having origin on windows but not Xbox for the upcoming Xbox/PC platform merge, and potentially puts lots of EA games into a revived games for windows service (aka Xbox games) that a lot of PC gamers will initially turn their nose up at. They also get a leg up on Sony with the exclusivity. EA gets to monetize their older games that they end up selling for $5 a pop on origin anyway, and they raise the profile of origin in general. And both get to cut out retail, since it's not a product that GameStop can also offer.

Very, very clever.

They didn't cut Gamestop completely

"Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada."

They are still getting a small piece of it.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #16413 of 16414 Old Today, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
They didn't cut Gamestop completely

"Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada."

They are still getting a small piece of it.

Well if gamestop can't stop them, might as well join them.

Now imagine activision/blizzard and ubisoft offer a similar deal. How long can Sony hold out?

Also, this solves a HUGE problem for multiplayer going forward in an increasingly fractured marketplace. These games rely on people being able to play together, and platform divisions are tearing it apart. I'm curious, what happened to the BF3 crew when next gen hit? Did everyone go separate ways?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16414 of 16414 Old Today, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Well if gamestop can't stop them, might as well join them.

Now imagine activision/blizzard and ubisoft offer a similar deal. How long can Sony hold out?

Also, this solves a HUGE problem for multiplayer going forward in an increasingly fractured marketplace. These games rely on people being able to play together, and platform divisions are tearing it apart. I'm curious, what happened to the BF3 crew when next gen hit? Did everyone go separate ways?
It did split. Most went to the PS4. It would be nice for everyone to happily play regardless of console.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page