The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 548 - AVS Forum
First ... 546  547  548 549  550  ... Last
Xbox Area > The Official Xbox One thread...
emartins's Avatar emartins 07:07 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Its a smart move by both parties. Microsoft gets to set the precedent that third parties need to cough up a little something to bring their cross platform games services to Xbox. It reconciles the insanity of having origin on windows but not Xbox for the upcoming Xbox/PC platform merge, and potentially puts lots of EA games into a revived games for windows service (aka Xbox games) that a lot of PC gamers will initially turn their nose up at. They also get a leg up on Sony with the exclusivity. EA gets to monetize their older games that they end up selling for $5 a pop on origin anyway, and they raise the profile of origin in general. And both get to cut out retail, since it's not a product that GameStop can also offer.

Very, very clever.

They didn't cut Gamestop completely


"Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada."


They are still getting a small piece of it.

bd2003's Avatar bd2003 07:13 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
They didn't cut Gamestop completely





"Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada."





They are still getting a small piece of it.

Well if gamestop can't stop them, might as well join them.

Now imagine activision/blizzard and ubisoft offer a similar deal. How long can Sony hold out?

Also, this solves a HUGE problem for multiplayer going forward in an increasingly fractured marketplace. These games rely on people being able to play together, and platform divisions are tearing it apart. I'm curious, what happened to the BF3 crew when next gen hit? Did everyone go separate ways?
emartins's Avatar emartins 07:31 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Well if gamestop can't stop them, might as well join them.

Now imagine activision/blizzard and ubisoft offer a similar deal. How long can Sony hold out?

Also, this solves a HUGE problem for multiplayer going forward in an increasingly fractured marketplace. These games rely on people being able to play together, and platform divisions are tearing it apart. I'm curious, what happened to the BF3 crew when next gen hit? Did everyone go separate ways?
It did split. Most went to the PS4. It would be nice for everyone to happily play regardless of console.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 07:52 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
It did split. Most went to the PS4. It would be nice for everyone to happily play regardless of console.
It's a little strained cause BF4 was such a damn mess in so many ways, but they probably lost out on a lot of game/DLC sales because people who used to play together can no longer. This is the kind of thing that can bridge that gap, once the other shoe falls.

Any MP games that's cross platform has a HUGE leg up on the competition now. Activision isn't just going to sit on the sidelines and let that eat away at cod and destiny...and once they're in, ubisoft has to follow.
spid's Avatar spid 07:58 AM 07-30-2014
metalsaber's Avatar metalsaber 08:02 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Interesting, I wonder if Sony thought this would hurt PS Now. Assuming you can play last years EA games at a higher cost through PS Now this could be why they thought it would be a bad value.


The way I see it right now is I paid $30 for Fifa, Madden and Peggle 2. If they add more games thats fine by me. I will also be more hesitant on buying EA games that I really don't want right away in hopes it will be added into this service.


I'd says the part in red is pretty much a spot on assumption.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 09:08 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I'm curious...does that service require you to have an origin ID?
No it has nothing to do with Origin.
Beeron's Avatar Beeron 09:21 AM 07-30-2014
Funny how Sony's press release says they didn't think it was a good value to their customers...but why not let the customer decide? As someone else mentioned, this does hurt PSnow a little...or at least makes paying hourly rates for certain games look a lot worse.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 09:21 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
No it has nothing to do with Origin.

For now. From their press release:

Quote:
We have partnered with Microsoft to deliver EA Access, an all-new monthly (or annual) membership for gamers exclusively on Xbox One that starts at just $4.99 a month. The service is being rolled out in beta to a limited number of players today, but it will launch for everyone on Xbox One soon. At EA, we are always looking for new ways to make it easier for gamers to play more EA games across all platforms, and we are excited about what EA Access will offer to players on Xbox One.
I think it's great. When it inevitably evolves to the point where I can buy/rent the next battlefield and play it on an Xbox against gamepad players without losing the ability to play campaign/MP with maxed out settings and mouse/KB on my PC...then I'm in.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 09:27 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
Funny how Sony's press release says they didn't think it was a good value to their customers...but why not let the customer decide? As someone else mentioned, this does hurt PSnow a little...or at least makes paying hourly rates for certain games look a lot worse.

Yeah, that's nothing but a steaming pile of BS.
tsaville's Avatar tsaville 09:56 AM 07-30-2014
It looks like Sony is now looking into a subscription service for PS Now (which I'm sure will be way above $5/month). Apparently extra monthly fees add "value" when Sony does it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...laystation-now
JudgeSmails's Avatar JudgeSmails 10:02 AM 07-30-2014
This EA news is big to me. I love trying new games at the same time I hate dropping big money on games I may only play 8 hours. Being able to pay $30 a year and try out some marquee games seems like a steal to me. And with the % drop on future EA titles with early access it just sweetens the pot. I already have DA on pre-order via Amazon and will now drop that and get the % and early access once I sign up with the EA deal.
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 10:02 AM 07-30-2014
I like the idea of what EA is doing but 5 bucks a month but until they add more games I don't see any value. Now if their entire library were available for 5 bucks? Yeah I am all over that.At least PSnow will have a a much larger library and can continue to grow. EA will only ever have EA games available, but I agree it should absolutely be the choice and not Sony's.
jhoff80's Avatar jhoff80 10:22 AM 07-30-2014
I know I initially was a bit negative on it, but I decided to go for a yearly subscription myself just to see how it develops through the year. We'll see how I feel about it after that year is up though. I still don't think it's going to change much in the big picture.


But anyway, I figure there's probably going to be at least 3 or 4 EA games I buy digitally through the year (including Madden 15 in a few weeks), so that's almost recouping my money back already. I already own Peggle 2 and Madden 25, but I'm sure I'll get at least a couple hours out of Battlefield before moving on to something new.


As for the people who are complaining about having to use a credit card to do it and not money in your account, my guess would be because this is a recurring subscription, so they want the CC on file to continue payment for year 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't pay for Gold from MS Account money either.
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 10:36 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I like the idea of what EA is doing but 5 bucks a month but until they add more games I don't see any value. Now if their entire library were available for 5 bucks? Yeah I am all over that.At least PSnow will have a a much larger library and can continue to grow. EA will only ever have EA games available, but I agree it should absolutely be the choice and not Sony's.
Why would anyone pay 5 bucks a month vs a whole year for 30? 5 bucks for 1 month seems like a no brainer for someone that is waiting for something specific and then if the game is available they got the option. But if anyone chooses to come and go throughout the year why not just drop 30 to cover one full year. Biggest difference with this over PS Now is streaming vs downloading my games direct. I hope Ubisoft and other companies go this route because this seems like the best solution over what we have had in the past. Resolves a lot of my previous issues.
metalsaber's Avatar metalsaber 10:49 AM 07-30-2014
The biggest question is how often they add games and which caliber games are added.
The only game that I'd really like is BF4 and I already own that.
bd2003's Avatar bd2003 11:05 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
The biggest question is how often they add games and which caliber games are added.
The only game that I'd really like is BF4 and I already own that.

What have they left out? Garden warfare, NFS, NBA live and titanfall? I don't see how they can offer a year long sub without offering something in future months, so they've gotta hold something back. They don't exactly have a deep well to choose from on the Xbox.

That's probably another reason why they're holding it back on PC - there's a much, much bigger selection there, and I'm sure MS wouldn't appreciate it if they launched it with ten times as many games on PC.
slyderulz's Avatar slyderulz 11:13 AM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
What have they left out? Garden warfare, NFS, NBA live and titanfall? I don't see how they can offer a year long sub without offering something in future months, so they've gotta hold something back. They don't exactly have a deep well to choose from on the Xbox.

That's probably another reason why they're holding it back on PC - there's a much, much bigger selection there, and I'm sure MS wouldn't appreciate it if they launched it with ten times as many games on PC.
You nailed my thoughts on the subject. I already own 2 of those 4 you mentioned...and battlefield as well. The only other EA title I'm interested in for the rest of the year is the next NHL title, which I doubt they will release same day on the EA subscription service.

Which is why I'll sign up for the $5 to try the other few EA games on XB1 for a month...then wait a year for the catalog to deepen a bit before I sign up for an annual sub.
totalownership's Avatar totalownership 11:22 AM 07-30-2014
The more I ponder it the more I'm up in the air about it. If this was in effect and UFC was a 5 day game I could have saved myself some $$$ and passed on it. I like that idea alot. With the new Madden coming up and NBA Live 15 here's a perfect chance for me to decide if I'm in or not with those games.
metalsaber's Avatar metalsaber 12:00 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
What have they left out? Garden warfare, NFS, NBA live and titanfall? I don't see how they can offer a year long sub without offering something in future months, so they've gotta hold something back. They don't exactly have a deep well to choose from on the Xbox.

That's probably another reason why they're holding it back on PC - there's a much, much bigger selection there, and I'm sure MS wouldn't appreciate it if they launched it with ten times as many games on PC.
As others have stated, it's not just what is out there, but how often new games get added. So I'm looking forward to NHL15, but I'm not sure at what point it would hit the vault or any new games like it. If it was a consistent 6months from release date to vault access, that would be nice to know.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 12:09 PM 07-30-2014
Still where they get you is with DLC and add ons. All they give you is the initial game. If you want the DLC or add on ons you need to pay. Although you do get ten percent off.

At least this was the case with Battlefield when I looked last night. I got the main game but to get any of the extra contents packs it was going to cost me. Although in the end it is still going to be less than getting the game separately. And if the offer the next Battlefield game through the EA access I would get it on the XBOne instead of a stand alone download on the PS4.
slyderulz's Avatar slyderulz 12:17 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Still where they get you is with DLC and add ons. All they give you is the initial game. If you want the DLC or add on ons you need to pay. Although you do get ten percent off.

At least this was the case with Battlefield when I looked last night. I got the main game but to get any of the extra contents packs it was going to cost me. Although in the end it is still going to be less than getting the game separately. And if the offer the next Battlefield game through the EA access I would get it on the XBOne instead of a stand alone download on the PS4.
Absolutely! It's just like the 'pay-for-content' app model. I'll give you the GPS app, but you'll need to pay for the city, state or country map that you want to use it in
EVT's Avatar EVT 12:24 PM 07-30-2014
I'd like to give an annual membership a shot. Does anyone know how to get in on this at the moment if Microsoft doesn't send you an email directly?

Out of the four titles I only have Fifa so for the $30 dollar annual fee it seems like a no brainer.
spid's Avatar spid 12:29 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
I'd like to give an annual membership a shot. Does anyone know how to get in on this at the moment if Microsoft doesn't send you an email directly?

Out of the four titles I only have Fifa so for the $30 dollar annual fee it seems like a no brainer.
Right now the only people who have access are people in the Xbox Live preview program. My guess is they want to open this up to everyone before Madden comes out or at the latest before Fifa 15 launches.
sikclown's Avatar sikclown 12:37 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Why would anyone pay 5 bucks a month vs a whole year for 30? 5 bucks for 1 month seems like a no brainer for someone that is waiting for something specific and then if the game is available they got the option. But if anyone chooses to come and go throughout the year why not just drop 30 to cover one full year. Biggest difference with this over PS Now is streaming vs downloading my games direct. I hope Ubisoft and other companies go this route because this seems like the best solution over what we have had in the past. Resolves a lot of my previous issues.
I didn't realize it was only 30 bucks for the year. At that point even if you only use two games a year you are still making out pretty well. I would still need to see the game release frequency, etc but that seems like a good deal (unless you start buying all the extras).
mboojigga's Avatar mboojigga 01:53 PM 07-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I didn't realize it was only 30 bucks for the year. At that point even if you only use two games a year you are still making out pretty well. I would still need to see the game release frequency, etc but that seems like a good deal (unless you start buying all the extras).
If extras meaning DLC your still making out better for a year subscription vs &40-60 at retail for each game.
totalownership's Avatar totalownership 03:05 PM 07-30-2014
I went for the 1 month for now just to see how it goes. Traded in BF4 today and launched it when I got home. If there was any doubt that the disc is nothing but a "key" to play the game it was definitely erased today. Launched BF4 and it didn't even pretend to do a token download, just went straight to the game as if the disc was in. lol
jhoff80's Avatar jhoff80 05:02 PM 07-30-2014
Live is down again... is it just me? I really feel like Live has gone down more times in the past 9 months on my Xbox One than the previous 5 years on my 360.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 05:06 PM 07-30-2014
I see it's down here too.

And I just realized my secondary XBOne had been on all day. For the last ten hours it's been on. I have it set to automatically shutdown after 1 hour of inactivity. I have no idea why it did not shut down. I left it on so it would finish downloading the EA games. SInce it's not my primary XBOne things don't download in standby the same way they do on my primary XBOne.

EDIT: I guess XBL just came back up

I must say the temps are still pretty low(80's to 90's). I just checked various spots with my non contact IR thermometer. This would not have been the case with the PS4. It would have been very toasty after being on all day. That is one thing they really got right with the XBOne. There are no thermal issues like there was with the 360.
Yuss's Avatar Yuss 06:44 PM 07-30-2014
re: EA subscription. Here's a bonus I was hoping for, but wasn't expecting. If you already have the disc version of the game. This subscription turns it into a digital version.
I have FIFA 14 on disc, and started the game via the EA app. It played as normal without prompting me for the disc. Nice....
Tags: Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
First ... 546  547  548 549  550  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop