AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Interesting, I wonder if Sony thought this would hurt PS Now. Assuming you can play last years EA games at a higher cost through PS Now this could be why they thought it would be a bad value.

The way I see it right now is I paid $30 for Fifa, Madden and Peggle 2. If they add more games thats fine by me. I will also be more hesitant on buying EA games that I really don't want right away in hopes it will be added into this service.

I'm guessing they also saw EAs future plans and didn't want to relinquish their control yet. But they have a lot less to gain, and a lot more to lose.

It all makes sense though. EA wants you to buy directly through them, because they make the most money that way. They obviously want to do the same on consoles, but how?

Microsoft knows they're in the weaker position, and they're also pivoting towards being more cross platform in general. So they're more open to this in the first place, and more willing to take a less beneficial deal to get a leg up on Sony. Microsoft also has much less reason to be fearful of origin, because origin runs on windows.

Its a smart move by both parties. Microsoft gets to set the precedent that third parties need to cough up a little something to bring their cross platform games services to Xbox. It reconciles the insanity of having origin on windows but not Xbox for the upcoming Xbox/PC platform merge, and potentially puts lots of EA games into a revived games for windows service (aka Xbox games) that a lot of PC gamers will initially turn their nose up at. It sets the groundwork for a buy once, play anywhere model for EA - Sony has nothing to gain by promoting that future.

Meanwhile in the short term, EA gets to monetize their older games that they end up selling for $5 a pop on origin anyway, and they raise the profile of origin in general. And both get to cut out retail, since it's not a product that GameStop can also offer.

Very, very clever.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; Today at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16412 of 16436 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Its a smart move by both parties. Microsoft gets to set the precedent that third parties need to cough up a little something to bring their cross platform games services to Xbox. It reconciles the insanity of having origin on windows but not Xbox for the upcoming Xbox/PC platform merge, and potentially puts lots of EA games into a revived games for windows service (aka Xbox games) that a lot of PC gamers will initially turn their nose up at. They also get a leg up on Sony with the exclusivity. EA gets to monetize their older games that they end up selling for $5 a pop on origin anyway, and they raise the profile of origin in general. And both get to cut out retail, since it's not a product that GameStop can also offer.

Very, very clever.

They didn't cut Gamestop completely

"Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada."

They are still getting a small piece of it.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #16413 of 16436 Old Today, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
They didn't cut Gamestop completely

"Soon, fans of GameStop will be able to purchase their EA Access membership in local retail stores. GameStop and Amazon will also carry EA Access memberships for Xbox One gamers across Europe, as well as EB Games in Canada."

They are still getting a small piece of it.

Well if gamestop can't stop them, might as well join them.

Now imagine activision/blizzard and ubisoft offer a similar deal. How long can Sony hold out?

Also, this solves a HUGE problem for multiplayer going forward in an increasingly fractured marketplace. These games rely on people being able to play together, and platform divisions are tearing it apart. I'm curious, what happened to the BF3 crew when next gen hit? Did everyone go separate ways?

post #16414 of 16436 Old Today, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Well if gamestop can't stop them, might as well join them.

Now imagine activision/blizzard and ubisoft offer a similar deal. How long can Sony hold out?

Also, this solves a HUGE problem for multiplayer going forward in an increasingly fractured marketplace. These games rely on people being able to play together, and platform divisions are tearing it apart. I'm curious, what happened to the BF3 crew when next gen hit? Did everyone go separate ways?
It did split. Most went to the PS4. It would be nice for everyone to happily play regardless of console.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #16415 of 16436 Old Today, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
It did split. Most went to the PS4. It would be nice for everyone to happily play regardless of console.
It's a little strained cause BF4 was such a damn mess in so many ways, but they probably lost out on a lot of game/DLC sales because people who used to play together can no longer. This is the kind of thing that can bridge that gap, once the other shoe falls.

Any MP games that's cross platform has a HUGE leg up on the competition now. Activision isn't just going to sit on the sidelines and let that eat away at cod and destiny...and once they're in, ubisoft has to follow.

Last edited by bd2003; Today at 06:57 AM.
post #16416 of 16436 Old Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 331
post #16417 of 16436 Old Today, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Interesting, I wonder if Sony thought this would hurt PS Now. Assuming you can play last years EA games at a higher cost through PS Now this could be why they thought it would be a bad value.

The way I see it right now is I paid $30 for Fifa, Madden and Peggle 2. If they add more games thats fine by me. I will also be more hesitant on buying EA games that I really don't want right away in hopes it will be added into this service.

I'd says the part in red is pretty much a spot on assumption.
post #16418 of 16436 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
I'm curious...does that service require you to have an origin ID?
No it has nothing to do with Origin.

The 5.0 is here
post #16419 of 16436 Old Today, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Funny how Sony's press release says they didn't think it was a good value to their customers...but why not let the customer decide? As someone else mentioned, this does hurt PSnow a little...or at least makes paying hourly rates for certain games look a lot worse.
post #16420 of 16436 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
No it has nothing to do with Origin.

For now. From their press release:

Quote:
We have partnered with Microsoft to deliver EA Access, an all-new monthly (or annual) membership for gamers exclusively on Xbox One that starts at just $4.99 a month. The service is being rolled out in beta to a limited number of players today, but it will launch for everyone on Xbox One soon. At EA, we are always looking for new ways to make it easier for gamers to play more EA games across all platforms, and we are excited about what EA Access will offer to players on Xbox One.
I think it's great. When it inevitably evolves to the point where I can buy/rent the next battlefield and play it on an Xbox against gamepad players without losing the ability to play campaign/MP with maxed out settings and mouse/KB on my PC...then I'm in.

post #16421 of 16436 Old Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeron View Post
Funny how Sony's press release says they didn't think it was a good value to their customers...but why not let the customer decide? As someone else mentioned, this does hurt PSnow a little...or at least makes paying hourly rates for certain games look a lot worse.

Yeah, that's nothing but a steaming pile of BS.

post #16422 of 16436 Old Today, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 230
It looks like Sony is now looking into a subscription service for PS Now (which I'm sure will be way above $5/month). Apparently extra monthly fees add "value" when Sony does it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...laystation-now
post #16423 of 16436 Old Today, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This EA news is big to me. I love trying new games at the same time I hate dropping big money on games I may only play 8 hours. Being able to pay $30 a year and try out some marquee games seems like a steal to me. And with the % drop on future EA titles with early access it just sweetens the pot. I already have DA on pre-order via Amazon and will now drop that and get the % and early access once I sign up with the EA deal.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #16424 of 16436 Old Today, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I like the idea of what EA is doing but 5 bucks a month but until they add more games I don't see any value. Now if their entire library were available for 5 bucks? Yeah I am all over that.At least PSnow will have a a much larger library and can continue to grow. EA will only ever have EA games available, but I agree it should absolutely be the choice and not Sony's.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1150.5
Denon AVR-2313ci, Denon AVR-S900w, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200
Cox Cisco 6 tuner Contour Box , PS4, Xbox One, HD Antenna
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch C-20
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S590, Motorola Cox Contour Receiver, PC
post #16425 of 16436 Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 142
I know I initially was a bit negative on it, but I decided to go for a yearly subscription myself just to see how it develops through the year. We'll see how I feel about it after that year is up though. I still don't think it's going to change much in the big picture.

But anyway, I figure there's probably going to be at least 3 or 4 EA games I buy digitally through the year (including Madden 15 in a few weeks), so that's almost recouping my money back already. I already own Peggle 2 and Madden 25, but I'm sure I'll get at least a couple hours out of Battlefield before moving on to something new.

As for the people who are complaining about having to use a credit card to do it and not money in your account, my guess would be because this is a recurring subscription, so they want the CC on file to continue payment for year 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't pay for Gold from MS Account money either.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #16426 of 16436 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I like the idea of what EA is doing but 5 bucks a month but until they add more games I don't see any value. Now if their entire library were available for 5 bucks? Yeah I am all over that.At least PSnow will have a a much larger library and can continue to grow. EA will only ever have EA games available, but I agree it should absolutely be the choice and not Sony's.
Why would anyone pay 5 bucks a month vs a whole year for 30? 5 bucks for 1 month seems like a no brainer for someone that is waiting for something specific and then if the game is available they got the option. But if anyone chooses to come and go throughout the year why not just drop 30 to cover one full year. Biggest difference with this over PS Now is streaming vs downloading my games direct. I hope Ubisoft and other companies go this route because this seems like the best solution over what we have had in the past. Resolves a lot of my previous issues.

The 5.0 is here

Last edited by mboojigga; Today at 09:46 AM. Reason: iPad typos
post #16427 of 16436 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The biggest question is how often they add games and which caliber games are added.
The only game that I'd really like is BF4 and I already own that.
sikclown likes this.
post #16428 of 16436 Old Today, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
The biggest question is how often they add games and which caliber games are added.
The only game that I'd really like is BF4 and I already own that.

What have they left out? Garden warfare, NFS, NBA live and titanfall? I don't see how they can offer a year long sub without offering something in future months, so they've gotta hold something back. They don't exactly have a deep well to choose from on the Xbox.

That's probably another reason why they're holding it back on PC - there's a much, much bigger selection there, and I'm sure MS wouldn't appreciate it if they launched it with ten times as many games on PC.

post #16429 of 16436 Old Today, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
What have they left out? Garden warfare, NFS, NBA live and titanfall? I don't see how they can offer a year long sub without offering something in future months, so they've gotta hold something back. They don't exactly have a deep well to choose from on the Xbox.

That's probably another reason why they're holding it back on PC - there's a much, much bigger selection there, and I'm sure MS wouldn't appreciate it if they launched it with ten times as many games on PC.
You nailed my thoughts on the subject. I already own 2 of those 4 you mentioned...and battlefield as well. The only other EA title I'm interested in for the rest of the year is the next NHL title, which I doubt they will release same day on the EA subscription service.

Which is why I'll sign up for the $5 to try the other few EA games on XB1 for a month...then wait a year for the catalog to deepen a bit before I sign up for an annual sub.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Last edited by slyderulz; Today at 10:19 AM.
post #16430 of 16436 Old Today, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The more I ponder it the more I'm up in the air about it. If this was in effect and UFC was a 5 day game I could have saved myself some $$$ and passed on it. I like that idea alot. With the new Madden coming up and NBA Live 15 here's a perfect chance for me to decide if I'm in or not with those games.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #16431 of 16436 Old Today, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As others have stated, it's not just what is out there, but how often new games get added. So I'm looking forward to NHL15, but I'm not sure at what point it would hit the vault or any new games like it. If it was a consistent 6months from release date to vault access, that would be nice to know.
post #16432 of 16436 Old Today, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Still where they get you is with DLC and add ons. All they give you is the initial game. If you want the DLC or add on ons you need to pay. Although you do get ten percent off.

At least this was the case with Battlefield when I looked last night. I got the main game but to get any of the extra contents packs it was going to cost me. Although in the end it is still going to be less than getting the game separately. And if the offer the next Battlefield game through the EA access I would get it on the XBOne instead of a stand alone download on the PS4.
post #16433 of 16436 Old Today, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Still where they get you is with DLC and add ons. All they give you is the initial game. If you want the DLC or add on ons you need to pay. Although you do get ten percent off.

At least this was the case with Battlefield when I looked last night. I got the main game but to get any of the extra contents packs it was going to cost me. Although in the end it is still going to be less than getting the game separately. And if the offer the next Battlefield game through the EA access I would get it on the XBOne instead of a stand alone download on the PS4.
Absolutely! It's just like the 'pay-for-content' app model. I'll give you the GPS app, but you'll need to pay for the city, state or country map that you want to use it in

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #16434 of 16436 Old Today, 11:24 AM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'd like to give an annual membership a shot. Does anyone know how to get in on this at the moment if Microsoft doesn't send you an email directly?

Out of the four titles I only have Fifa so for the $30 dollar annual fee it seems like a no brainer.
post #16435 of 16436 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post
I'd like to give an annual membership a shot. Does anyone know how to get in on this at the moment if Microsoft doesn't send you an email directly?

Out of the four titles I only have Fifa so for the $30 dollar annual fee it seems like a no brainer.
Right now the only people who have access are people in the Xbox Live preview program. My guess is they want to open this up to everyone before Madden comes out or at the latest before Fifa 15 launches.
post #16436 of 16436 Old Today, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Why would anyone pay 5 bucks a month vs a whole year for 30? 5 bucks for 1 month seems like a no brainer for someone that is waiting for something specific and then if the game is available they got the option. But if anyone chooses to come and go throughout the year why not just drop 30 to cover one full year. Biggest difference with this over PS Now is streaming vs downloading my games direct. I hope Ubisoft and other companies go this route because this seems like the best solution over what we have had in the past. Resolves a lot of my previous issues.
I didn't realize it was only 30 bucks for the year. At that point even if you only use two games a year you are still making out pretty well. I would still need to see the game release frequency, etc but that seems like a good deal (unless you start buying all the extras).

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1150.5
Denon AVR-2313ci, Denon AVR-S900w, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200
Cox Cisco 6 tuner Contour Box , PS4, Xbox One, HD Antenna
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch C-20
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S590, Motorola Cox Contour Receiver, PC
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List