221Likes

post #16501 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
It's going to be similar to the EA Season Ticket program they currently run on Xbox 360, but they are expanding it to all EA games. You get the full release 5 days in advance (except for some modes like Ultimate Team in the sports games). They are throwing enough wording in there that they can change it to like 5 hours of play time or something if they want to. But hopefully they won't change it from the way Season Ticket worked.

Regular 1 peridod/quarter demos should still come out for all the sports games. I don't think any of that will change because they still want to provide demos for other systems anyway.

I would say if you have any concerns, wait until closer to Madden release and see how they handle that before purchasing. That's going to tell us a lot about how this will work.
+1

When they started season ticket you got a 20% discount on all DLC plus they gave you 1 free gold pack for ultimate team for like 20 weeks for being a season ticket subscriber. It really was a great program to try out some of the games if you were on the fence plus all your save data for franchise mode carried over when you bought the full retail version of the game. I always bought NHL & Tiger Woods and usually Madden but it also had allowed me to try FIFA and the now dead NCAA Football.

I plan on signing up just for early access to NHL and Madden since I already have Peggle and BF4 but I guess I could trade in BF4 now.

Gamertag: x klem x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16502 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
The Full Game ?

I find it hard to believe that they would give you total access to a brand new game, for free, for 5 days, and you don't have to pay anything other than the monthly ($5) or annual($30) fee ?

See, I definitely wouldn't be buying Madden digitally, so for me, it would just be about getting the opportunity to try Madden 15 before it's out, to see if there is enough of an improvement in the game for me to possibly pick up the game. ( I'm not expecting the game to be up to my standards, but anything is possible... ) Still, I just don't see how they could give you full access to the whole game, unless you've already paid for the game in full or something.

I could see them giving you what basically boils down to a demo. Maybe they will give you the whole game, but for the quarters to only last two minutes or something. To give away the whole game for 5 days, man, that is totally worth spending $5, because that will give me all the time I'll need with the game to know whether it's worthy of a purchase or not.
You get full access to Madden and Fifa and NHL....They might not allow Ultimate Team Mode but everything else can be played in the full access for 5 days.

This was the case last gen on 360 and ps3 with EA Season Ticket for $25 a year...You got to play the full game except ultimate team mode for 3 days

The trial of 2 hours is for story line games so you do not beat the game before it is released.

Sports games are full go for 5 days
post #16503 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post
You get full access to Madden and Fifa and NHL....They might not allow Ultimate Team Mode but everything else can be played in the full access for 5 days.

This was the case last gen on 360 and ps3 with EA Season Ticket for $25 a year...You got to play the full game except ultimate team mode for 3 days

The trial of 2 hours is for story line games so you do not beat the game before it is released.

Great news. Thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully it's the same for the One, makes perfect sense.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #16504 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Great news. Thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully it's the same for the One, makes perfect sense.

Agreed. Can't wait to try these upcoming sports games. Makes sense for them not to allow too much time on story modes, but sports games is a completely different thing.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #16505 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the xbox one capable of playing media from a thumb drive yet? I know the xbox 360 is and the xbox one has not been able to.

Did the external drive support fix this problem?
post #16506 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

Wow, that seems crazy to me that they would give you full access, for the full game, for 5 days. (in regards to the sports games). Basically, you can rent the game for 5 days before the game actually comes out.

I don't know why anybody in their right mind wouldn't sign up for this, assuming you have even a passing interest in Madden, Fifa, NHL, etc, etc.

I mean, even if you just sign up for that one month that the sports game that you're interested in, is coming out in. It's only 5 bucks, and you get to demo the game for 5 days (before it's even out), for 5 bucks. That's a very good deal, assuming everything you say is legit.

Redbox charges 2 bucks for a single day, and 99 percent of the country doesn't have Redbox even renting XB1 games.

The only thing that bothers me is the credit card thing. I hate these companies having one of my credit cards on file. I guess I could just buy one of those temporary credit cards or whatever, but then I'm paying like a $5 fee just to get the damn credit card..
post #16507 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[/QUOTE]The only thing that bothers me is the credit card thing. I hate these companies having one of my credit cards on file. I guess I could just buy one of those temporary credit cards or whatever, but then I'm paying like a $5 fee just to get the damn credit card..[/QUOTE]

This bothers me too, but I found out something yesterday that I didn't know. you can delete your credit card info right from the Xbox one.

I finally got my code for the beta, so I sub'd for the year. I did have to put my CC in. but as soon as it processed, I logged onto Xbox.com to turn off the auto renewal. then went to the xbox and deleted my CC from the system.
post #16508 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
I don't have a problem with MS having my credit card info. They have given me no reason to distrust them. Unlike Sony. I don't keep any credit card info with Sony anymore.

Besides with MS they need my card info for other things, like my Office 365 subscription.
post #16509 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Wow, Crimson Dragon is absolutely terrible. Even at 'free' it's priced too high.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #16510 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Wow, Crimson Dragon is absolutely terrible. Even at 'free' it's priced too high.

I didn't even bother checking it out since it didn't look interesting at all lol.

post #16511 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
I didn't even bother checking it out since it didn't look interesting at all lol.
Agreed. That's the problem with these consoles when they launch. Everything is under a microscope because there's so little out there. 2 years from now weak games wont make a blip on the radar when they drop.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #16512 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So you guys with EA access up and running might be able to sell me on this and a new xbox if the service warrants. Are the games stored locally or do they stream? If they stream how is it going so far? Any word on a replacement schedule?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #16513 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
So you guys with EA access up and running might be able to sell me on this and a new xbox if the service warrants. Are the games stored locally or do they stream? If they stream how is it going so far? Any word on a replacement schedule?

Stored locally.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16514 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post
Stored locally which I think is going to make me have to go out and get a External Hard Drive earlier then I anticipated. One of the things I can do now is install it on the external drive then take it a friends and sign in on their Xbox one and play at their place head to head. Trash talking is so much more fun when they are sitting right there
mboojigga likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16515 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Wait..Hold on....

I only get 5 day access to the EA games I just paid $5 for a few days ago?

That can't be right. What am I missing here?
post #16516 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

I am loving the $hitty EA 2013 games that I can play for $5 and then kick to the curb a month from now. Don't ruin it for me Dammit! I spent hours downloading these crap games to two xboxone's; right in the middle of a major service outage no less (took forever!)
post #16517 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Wait..Hold on....

I only get 5 day access to the EA games I just paid $5 for a few days ago?

That can't be right. What am I missing here?
Nope. There's some confusion here.

The EA Vault you have access to for as long as they're in the Vault (and as long as you keep subscribing). Those games are Peggle 2, Battlefield 4, Madden 25, and FIFA 14.

The Early Access games you get to download and play five days before they release. That may be the full game, or it may be a feature-limited demo. It's worth noting that in past versions of this program, those have been the full game. Right now it sounds like they just wanted to leave the option to change their mind. Games mentioned for this feature are Madden 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15 and Dragon Age: Inquisition. However, on release day, you lose access to those unless you buy them.

As for how this program is financially successful if it means people will demo the games and then not buy them, I suspect that a large number of the Madden diehards will take advantage of this feature, which gives EA a chance to gain back lost revenue. People who are already buying the games anyway (admittedly, those users do now get 10% off, but I have seen a surprising number of people at Operation Sports mention doing EA Access to play Madden early on the Xbox One, and then buying the final game on PS4 at full price) will pay for this just to get an early start.
tampabuc likes this.

Last edited by jhoff80; 08-01-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #16518 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you. I think I got it now. Glad to know I won't lose access to games already "purchased" as soon as tomorrow!

We are in the middle of an unprecedented lull of quality new release games, but $5, maybe $10 bucks will surely fill some down time for a month or two.

Generally and going forward, I'm not interested in 1 year old games, especially ports and broken games. Membership will be cancelled accordingly.

Last edited by tampabuc; 08-01-2014 at 07:08 PM.
post #16519 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
http://www.cnet.com/news/ea-access-m...from-the-dead/

The promise of subscription services

Like it or not, the game industry is moving away from selling consumers physical products that they own and toward services that we subscribe to out of convenience and added value. While Spotify and Netflix addressed the rampant piracy of music and television, the video game business has long battled the drag of high price tags that drive gamers to cheaper alternatives: used games, rentals, and bundles.

In the ream of PC gaming, consumers have become accustomed to Valve's Steam application. The marketplace requires a log-in and Internet connection to play your library of purchased titles, yet has converted gamers by relying on batch-selling, frequent bargain sales, and a consumer-friendly mentality. Console game makers and publishers do not have that luxury. Buy a console game and you can do whatever you want with it, including sell it back to GameStop, which marks up the price, flips it, and takes all the profit.

EA Access is finally a way around that -- and it's not only likely to catch on with other publishers, but may potentially prove to be the future of traditional console games. If the beta proves as successful as streaming services have for other media formats, "Netflix for games" won't be an isolated phrase for long.

EA Access not only preserves choice -- publishers won't stop producing physical discs for the foreseeable future -- but also illustrates just how pleasant the environment can remain even when EA and Microsoft design the landscape, set all the rules, and lease you the entertainment. For $30 a year, you're getting access to four games whose stand-alone value is more than $100 (and more to come). In addition, you're getting a 10 percent discount on digital purchases made on the Xbox platform, a perk EA and Microsoft hope you'll become accustomed to over time.

That subscription fee then becomes a renewable annual revenue stream tied directly to accessing the titles you no longer bought outright. In the process, the publishers redirect a fraction of the gamers who would have bought a used copy of Battlefield 4 at GameStop. Even better, it turns consumers who may have only bought one game into a player of four -- with each dollar saved on purchases potentially funneled toward digital add-ons like Battlefield Premium or FIFA's "ultimate team" fantasy soccer league service.
Most importantly, however, is that we slowly but surely stop thinking of games as products we own. That process is the hardest, yet most valuable, to an industry that has long fought for a way to get us paying on the publishers' terms.

We don't know how this will pan out yet. Gamers have been quick to wonder whether this could all be some kind of elaborate money-making trap that will come with all sorts of unwanted stipulations and schemes to get us to sign up. More moderate voices have expressed fear regarding a future of relinquished control over our games, especially considering Microsoft's troubled past with its Xbox One online policy mandates.

So the marriage of two companies over the future of game distribution should necessarily raise concern. However, as it stands now, the deal is less "too good to be true" than one offering a moderate balance between exchanging ownership for value and convenience. Time will tell if the balance will be upset -- and gamers now know that Microsoft and EA tend to listen when the voices get loud enough.

The game industry won't change overnight. Microsoft learned that the hard way. Now, the company and publishers who share its goals have their sights set on a more manageable milestone: getting gamers to start thinking of titles less like disc-based products and more like digital-first creative works we pay to have access to -- and not own.

There's lots more to this article. Please, talk amongst yourselves...

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #16520 of 17041 Old 08-01-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 175
One thing to consider with subscription rates will be to see if the ISPs force them to pay more to access their customers like Netflix had to do. I know nothing is as big as Netflix when it comes to streaming, but I have to imagine Steam can move some volume when new games come out. If consoles seriously start going the digital route and people start downloading I can't imagine Comcast, and others just sitting by and not doing anything about it.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16521 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
One thing to consider with subscription rates will be to see if the ISPs force them to pay more to access their customers like Netflix had to do. I know nothing is as big as Netflix when it comes to streaming, but I have to imagine Steam can move some volume when new games come out. If consoles seriously start going the digital route and people start downloading I can't imagine Comcast, and others just sitting by and not doing anything about it.

It's not even vaguely the same issue as Netflix. Poor ISP service causes Netflix video to be low-res and unwatchable, when it could be 1080p if there was enough bandwidth. Netflix is broken for the customer under those circumstances. If it takes many hours to download my game, it sucks, but the game will play just the same once it's down (and the system will let me start playing it after a certain percentage of it is available).

Now, game streaming services like OnLive and the new PS Now potentially have the same problem as Netflix. AFAIK, it hasn't been a problem for OnLive, but PS Now is likely to have an order of magnitude more users.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #16522 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM

I'm noticing my xbox one is crushing blacks. I run everything through my Denon receiver and they all look great except for the one. I have mine set to RGB limited and 24 bit color. This is very annoying cause now I may have to switch inputs which I'm trying to avoid.

post #16523 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

That article referenced above mentions Ultimate Team as a source of income. Correct me if I'm wrong (Madden 25 was the first time I ever even bothered with it), but I think that mode will be pretty much dead when Madden and FIFA 15 come out. Like, I'm sure they'll keep the server up for a year or two, but there won't be any new challenges (which means there's a limited number of games to actually play), there won't be any card events/collections, etc. While the whole mode is just money-grubbing on EA's part, I just don't foresee it continuing to make much money for an older version like that.

Personally, I enjoyed Madden Ultimate Team a ton one year (and actually spent probably $50 on card packs), but to me that was an entirely one-time thing. I'm sure there are those dedicated enough to pay a ton every year for this, but not for me.

post #16524 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The resume-games-quickly instant-on power mode option seems to work less well with every new system update. It used to work about 2 times out of 3 and now it's about 1 time out of 3. Conversely, voice recognition seems to gradually improve; it now works reasonably well in a noisy room. Whatever .

"
" -- hookbill
post #16525 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Works fine for us. Every update we just recalibrate and hard reboot on all of ours.

The 5.0 is here
post #16526 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
but I have seen a surprising number of people at Operation Sports mention doing EA Access to play Madden early on the Xbox One, and then buying the final game on PS4 at full price) will pay for this just to get an early start.

That's pretty much what I'm doing.

I'm not on the digital bandwagon. If I end up buying Madden 15 or Fifa 15, then I want the physical disk, because if I get bored of the game 60 days later, then I'm going to flip it on Craigslist and get some $$$ back. However, the idea of having an opportunity to play potentially 80 percent of the retail game for 5 days before release, is very compelling to me, because those 5 days will be enough time for me to know if the games are really up to snuff or not.

Even if I just payed $5 for a single month, it would make sense for me to do it, because a 5 day rental would cost me more than 5 bucks. So, might as well do it this way.

As for buying the PS4 version, well that's just because I'm assuming that the PS4 versions of all these games will probably run a bit smoother. It's no disrespect to the Xbox One, it's just the reality of the situation. The more powerful hardware would likely provide a smoother experience, with a better framerate, and possibly higher resolution. It's nothing personal against the Xbox One. I didn't put a gun to Microsoft's head and force them to use a weaker GPU and slower system memory.
post #16527 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The resume-games-quickly instant-on power mode option seems to work less well with every new system update. It used to work about 2 times out of 3 and now it's about 1 time out of 3.

I've seen this a bit as well. I've also seen certain apps getting less and less stable. The MLB.tv app crashes about 3-4 times a game lately.

post #16528 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So you pay $30 a year for EA Access, get 10% of games, and get to play EA games 5 days before launch (after purchasing/preordering the game).

Besides the 10% off games/addons, I really see nothing special about this. Most people can wait until launch day to play EA titles.......$30/year to play 5 days early? Blah.

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #16529 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
So you pay $30 a year for EA Access, get 10% of games, and get to play EA games 5 days before launch (after purchasing/preordering the game).

Besides the 10% off games/addons, I really see nothing special about this. Most people can wait until launch day to play EA titles.......$30/year to play 5 days early? Blah.
So being able I play the 4 full games of battlefield 4, FIFA 14, madden 25, peggle 2 and more games to be named later doesn't appeal to you....Okay.
post #16530 of 17041 Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
...and get to play EA games 5 days before launch (after purchasing/preordering the game).

Huh? No purchasing or pre-ordering of the game required.

"
" -- hookbill
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page