post #16531 of 17035 Old 08-02-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
So I'm basically "renting the game" for 5 days prior to release? Because for $30/year, I am sure it doesn't include the game...
You're not "renting" it because no specific portion of the $30 goes towards accessing a game for preview; membership gives you the ability to preview new games. Your save file for the game is preserved and if you choose to buy it after previewing it you can resume where you left off. There is some time restriction for games with story campaigns to keep you from beating it in those 5 days without having to buy it (supposedly you'd get to play such a game for at least two hours). You can only do this preview during the period of 5 days before the game ships; after that you can only try it if there's a demo available.

Whether this is worth it or not is entirely up to you. In addition to this preview period you get the right to play any of the game in the "vault" for as long as you're a subscriber, a lot like PS+ or Games with Gold on Xbox One (on 360 you own any GwG that you take; on XB1 you only get to use them while you're a Gold sub). I don't play the football or soccer games and I already own Peggle 2, but I didn't buy BF4 so I downloaded that to play. It depends on how many other games they put in the vault that I'm interested in playing as well as how many EA games I choose to buy during the year but it seems likely to be a pretty good deal for me.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 17035 Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 110
This is really a great deal... for now...

$5 gets you 2 good games (Peggle2 & FIFA) and 2 bad ones (Madden and Battlefield) for a month or only $10 for 2 months.

I had already bought Battlefield and Peggle2 on Day One. Battlefield was broken from the beginning so this deal somewhat redeems that. Thankfully, I traded it in for more than I paid, so its all good.

Please don't let a future 5% discount and 5 day early access fool you. That might seem nice at first until you realize that it only applies to digital purchases. Plus, much better "2015" upgraded versions of the same games will be out very soon and you can get a much better deal at release. This "access" will be obsolete very soon but I must commend EA for a VERY creative cash grab when new games are non-existent. I took the bait.

Last edited by tampabuc; 08-02-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #16533 of 17035 Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Please don't let a future 5% discount and 5 day early access fool you. That might seem nice at first until you realize that it only applies to digital purchases.

It's a 10% discount and many of us are trying to never buy another game on disc again (or disc of any kind, for me). I have 20 some-odd 360 full DD games and I have no idea whether the BDROM drive on my Xbox One works or not. I don't plan to ever use it and if I could have gotten a deal on a BDROM-less SKU, I'd have gone for it.
pcweber111 likes this.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #16534 of 17035 Old 08-03-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Polygon has nice writeup of the upcoming changes to Xbox One NFL App.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/3/5960...-sunday-ticket
post #16535 of 17035 Old 08-03-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The EA thing is a good deal if they keep updating the vault otherwise it becomes a bad deal over time.

For instance this year it would be pretty good for me since I wanted to play battlefield 4 but wasn't going to get it until real cheap as I don't care about multiplayer. I wanted a football game, again just for sp so a year old version is fine, and I wanted to get FIFA when cheap as I am not sure how much I would play a soccer game. I already got a basketball game free on psn+ but wouldn't mind comparing ea's version.. In addition I am definitely getting NHL on launch so a discount is nice.

$30 for all those plus a 10% discount for a game I am definitely getting is great. However, $60, $90, $120 if I kept the service 3 years is less great as I eventually would have gotten the games for $20-$30 and could play them for life (or let them sit on my hard drive just in case I wanted to play them again). on the other hand if I could get the 'new' (aka madden 15 next year when 16 comes out) madden, FIFA, NBA, (hopefully a golf game and a fighting game) then it could be worth it .
post #16536 of 17035 Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post
The EA thing is a good deal if they keep updating the vault otherwise it becomes a bad deal over time.

For instance this year it would be pretty good for me since I wanted to play battlefield 4 but wasn't going to get it until real cheap as I don't care about multiplayer. I wanted a football game, again just for sp so a year old version is fine, and I wanted to get FIFA when cheap as I am not sure how much I would play a soccer game. I already got a basketball game free on psn+ but wouldn't mind comparing ea's version.. In addition I am definitely getting NHL on launch so a discount is nice.

$30 for all those plus a 10% discount for a game I am definitely getting is great. However, $60, $90, $120 if I kept the service 3 years is less great as I eventually would have gotten the games for $20-$30 and could play them for life (or let them sit on my hard drive just in case I wanted to play them again). on the other hand if I could get the 'new' (aka madden 15 next year when 16 comes out) madden, FIFA, NBA, (hopefully a golf game and a fighting game) then it could be worth it .
I was banking on the fact that each sports title will be added to vault by the next years release or shortly before. I can live with playing the previous version. Though This years Madden is looking damn good and may just have to go with that one. Seeing how I like Digital the 10% off is not a bad deal either.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16537 of 17035 Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I just noticed that one of my two controllers has a notch around underneath the left stick. It looks to be from wear of the stick pressing against the outside rim of the circle area. Has anyone else seen this? I do have the "Complete" warranty which is supposed to cover two controllers for three years, so I assume it shouldn't be that difficult a replacement, but still.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about:

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 08-03-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #16538 of 17035 Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I just noticed that one of my two controllers has a notch around underneath the left stick. It looks to be from wear of the stick pressing against the outside rim of the circle area. Has anyone else seen this? I do have the "Complete" warranty which is supposed to cover two controllers for three years, so I assume it shouldn't be that difficult a replacement, but still.

My XB1 is only 2-weeks old, and I've only played 1 game so far on it for about 10-20 hours of total game play and my controller looks just like yours. The plastic under each stick is showing wear already. Just another example of how each "new generation" gets worse and worse from a quality standpoint all in the name of saving the company and shareholders the mighty dollar. I suspect these design flaws of eroding shards of ground up cheap plastic were noticed during development but some non-tech finance guy made the decision to not fix it. Now we're all gonna have to buy new controllers every 6 months when the tops of the sticks fall off from normal use.
post #16539 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD1001 View Post
My XB1 is only 2-weeks old, and I've only played 1 game so far on it for about 10-20 hours of total game play and my controller looks just like yours. The plastic under each stick is showing wear already. Just another example of how each "new generation" gets worse and worse from a quality standpoint all in the name of saving the company and shareholders the mighty dollar. I suspect these design flaws of eroding shards of ground up cheap plastic were noticed during development but some non-tech finance guy made the decision to not fix it. Now we're all gonna have to buy new controllers every 6 months when the tops of the sticks fall off from normal use.
Good lord, how hard are you guys pushing on the sticks? I've had the exact same controller since launch day, have put a ton of hours into Forza 5, and a decent chunk of hours into other games, played the Destiny beta, and use it as my PC controller since they put up the drivers and there's no indentation yet. I can see where there WILL be, but holy hell nothing like you guys.

<--- All gamertags listed there -

__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast

- direct pod link

- main website
post #16540 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD1001 View Post
I've put in a fair bit of play with Titanfall, I just had a look at my controller now. And apart for a layer of dust under there (shame on me), it does not look anything like this picture. I would try changing it if I was you.
post #16541 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had issues plugging the Xbox One into an AVR and getting no picture? I have a Denon (X2100) and I have no issues with my PS4 or my cable box. I am trying to pass 2 signal to my TV (F8500) so I can have one set to PC and the other to movie.

I have a feeling it is a video setting in my Xbox (both the One and 360).
post #16542 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Wow!!

I have seen nothing like that on any of my controllers. I've been using them all since November/December 2013. And I've put many hours on all my controllers. Especially from all my Titanfall play.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #16543 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post
I've put in a fair bit of play with Titanfall, I just had a look at my controller now. And apart for a layer of dust under there (shame on me), it does not look anything like this picture. I would try changing it if I was you.
My controllers look like yours. There is a layer of dust there on all my controllers.

post #16544 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I really don't even use that much force on there at all. I since found a thread where there's a bunch of people with issues on the left stick, though it's locked now:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x...t/1649569.aspx

The first reason I actually noticed it is that the controller was jamming up, so I took a look to clean it, and yeah.

I've never seen anything even remotely like that on my Xbox 360 controller after something like 8 years (of course the top of the joysticks would flatten over time and you'd lose the bumps there, but I'm not counting that), so it's crazy that the One controller is doing it after 8 months.

Hoping that it's just a defective controller and not something that'll happen on every one, but who knows.

post #16545 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Polygon has nice writeup of the upcoming changes to Xbox One NFL App.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/3/5960...-sunday-ticket
Looking forward to this and I hope they integrate the app with cbs sportsline and other fantasy sites.

Regarding direct tv, last year's bundle with Madden 25 was a pretty good deal at $99. Although, I recall, that did not include app functionality.

Assuming I read the article correctly, only those who have NFL Network and already subscribe to NFL Redzone is eligible for Sunday Ticket? If that is the case, it will cost me $69.99 for Redzone and adding the cost of the mid-tier Sunday Ticket package of $239.00...that's expensive.

post #16546 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post
Looking forward to this and I hope they integrate the app with cbs sportsline and other fantasy sites.

Regarding direct tv, last year's bundle with Madden 25 was a pretty good deal at $99. Although, I recall, that did not include app functionality.

Assuming I read the article correctly, only those who have NFL Network and already subscribe to NFL Redzone is eligible for Sunday Ticket? If that is the case, it will cost me $69.99 for Redzone and adding the cost of the mid-tier Sunday Ticket package of $239.00...that's expensive.
DirecTV is paying $1 Billion a year to the NFL for NFL Ticket. At those low prices I don't see how they come anywhere near to recouping their cost.

post #16547 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the xbox one capable of playing media from a thumb drive yet? I know the xbox 360 is and the xbox one has not been able to.

Did the external drive support update fix this problem earlier this year?
post #16548 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The idea is that if you live in a place where you can't get DirecTV (or live on certain college campuses), then you can sign up for the Sunday Ticket streaming-only package. It appears that they're enforcing that a little more strictly this year than in years past, because I've been doing the streaming for the past three years with no trouble, and it won't let me do it this year.

Redzone is included in only the $350 DirecTV streaming package, but that should be unrelated to paying for the $239 Sunday Ticket package.

post #16549 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Now Friends is a main tab on the dashboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashboard.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	196881  

The 5.0 is here

Last edited by mboojigga; 08-04-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: No clue when I attach the site puts the picture upside down lol
post #16550 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
DirecTV is paying $1 Billion a year to the NFL for NFL Ticket. At those low prices I don't see how they come anywhere near to recouping their cost.
Especially since they have given it to me for free or at less than half the cost every year since 2006.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #16551 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Does anybody know when the Xbox update will go through for the rest of us peasants ? (The ones without early access ?)

I was hoping to sign up for the EA thing, and my son could play the crappy Madden 25 before Madden 15 comes out. But it's already August 4th, and Madden 15 comes out on the 21st (well part of it does, with the EA Access). So the number of days my kid can play this before the Madden 15 preview is dwindling by the minute...
post #16552 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I once paid a fee for early access to FIFA, a bunch of ultimate team crap, and some other bundled crap, it also gave me a 5 day window on all the sports titles.

I have a retail FIFA 14 and a shrinkwrapped retail Madden. I would like to go digital only on the FIFA and move digital only from now on so the 10% discounts is nice, and it would be cool in the future to play Maddens without buying them directly, as the last one seemed to be a waste of money. Same with NHL when it comes out. There may be some years where I skip FIFA based on the 5 day window.

I just wonder how fast other EA games will be added.

I would love if Titanfall gets added at some point another disc game I wish I had bought digital.

What is EA withholding from the vault initially?
post #16553 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
I once paid a fee for early access to FIFA, a bunch of ultimate team crap, and some other bundled crap, it also gave me a 5 day window on all the sports titles.

I have a retail FIFA 14 and a shrinkwrapped retail Madden. I would like to go digital only on the FIFA and move digital only from now on so the 10% discounts is nice, and it would be cool in the future to play Maddens without buying them directly, as the last one seemed to be a waste of money. Same with NHL when it comes out. There may be some years where I skip FIFA based on the 5 day window.

I just wonder how fast other EA games will be added.

I would love if Titanfall gets added at some point another disc game I wish I had bought digital.

What is EA withholding from the vault initially?
It's in beta and for one week nothing they are holding back. EA was the publisher for Titanfall. Respawn owns the IP & EA doesn't own Respawn.

The 5.0 is here
post #16554 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Does anybody know when the Xbox update will go through for the rest of us peasants ? (The ones without early access ?)
When it is ready.
tampabuc likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #16555 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I was hoping to sign up for the EA thing, and my son could play the crappy Madden 25 before Madden 15 comes out. But it's already August 4th, and Madden 15 comes out on the 21st (well part of it does, with the EA Access). So the number of days my kid can play this before the Madden 15 preview is dwindling by the minute...

I think that EA was just using the Xbox Preview group as a pre-made beta test population for EA Access. The end of their beta test and release of the current preview update to everyone might not happen concurrently.

"
" -- hookbill
post #16556 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

post #16557 of 17035 Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
Has anyone had issues plugging the Xbox One into an AVR and getting no picture? I have a Denon (X2100) and I have no issues with my PS4 or my cable box. I am trying to pass 2 signal to my TV (F8500) so I can have one set to PC and the other to movie.

I have a feeling it is a video setting in my Xbox (both the One and 360).
I did not have an issue with my Xbox 1, but had the same problem with my PS4 on my Denon 3808. I was plugging the PS4 into the HDMI input 2 (it worked for the PS3) but it would not show the picture. I tried straight to TV and it worked. For kicks I put it on the HDMI input 1 where I had the Xbox one plugged in and it worked there. I then put the Xbox 1 on HDMI 2 and it had no issues whatsoever with that input. Long story short try plugging the Xbox 1 in the working PS4 HDMI input and see if it works. To this day I have no idea why the PS4 would work on the HDMI Input 2, but my guess is it had to be #1 .

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #16558 of 17035 Old 08-05-2014, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I did not have an issue with my Xbox 1, but had the same problem with my PS4 on my Denon 3808. I was plugging the PS4 into the HDMI input 2 (it worked for the PS3) but it would not show the picture. I tried straight to TV and it worked. For kicks I put it on the HDMI input 1 where I had the Xbox one plugged in and it worked there. I then put the Xbox 1 on HDMI 2 and it had no issues whatsoever with that input. Long story short try plugging the Xbox 1 in the working PS4 HDMI input and see if it works. To this day I have no idea why the PS4 would work on the HDMI Input 2, but my guess is it had to be #1 .
This is an interesting idea. I will give this a try when I get home after work.

So I have 4 inputs. FIOS, Xbox One, PS4 and 360 (unless I have to get rid of one). Are there certain inputs you should plug these into?
post #16559 of 17035 Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParityBit View Post
This is an interesting idea. I will give this a try when I get home after work.

So I have 4 inputs. FIOS, Xbox One, PS4 and 360 (unless I have to get rid of one). Are there certain inputs you should plug these into?
I believe both of those AVRs allow you to customize the sources...it sounds like you have the assignments different than what you would like. For example, on the 3808 say you turn the source select knob to "DVD" (or whatever you have changed the name to in the menu) it will use whatever video and audio connection you tell it to in the menu. You could have DVD use the HDMI 2 connection and nothing else...or you could have DVD use the component 1 for video and optical 2 for audio...it is up to you.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #16560 of 17035 Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
There will be a Resident Evil 1 remake released next year.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/5/5970...c-release-date
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page