post #16831 of 17036 Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Just a heads up for those thinking of getting a External Drive. Newegg has a 2TB seagate backup Plus Slim USB3.0 for $99.00. I do not believe you need to be a premiere member for the price (although if you are you get a free 32GB USB2.0 Flash drive). I just ordered mine and decided to go this way since I'm out of power plug ins. Hopefully the 2TB does not fill up to fast

I guess it's pricey cause it's slim and doesn't require external power? I just picked up a 4TB my book for like $20 more.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16832 of 17036 Old 08-22-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I guess it's pricey cause it's slim and doesn't require external power? I just picked up a 4TB my book for like $20 more.
Not having to deal with a power cord is worth the extra cost of a USB powered drive. Plus the USB powered drives are much smaller and easier to carry around. And you only need the one cable which provides power and transfers your data.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #16833 of 17036 Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Just a heads up for those thinking of getting a External Drive. Newegg has a 2TB seagate backup Plus Slim USB3.0 for $99.00. I do not believe you need to be a premiere member for the price (although if you are you get a free 32GB USB2.0 Flash drive). I just ordered mine and decided to go this way since I'm out of power plug ins. Hopefully the 2TB does not fill up to fast

That's pretty much the everyday price.

I want the 4TB Backup Plus Fast (two drives packaged together in a Raid 0, USB powered). Unfortunately it costs $270 . I'll probably end up with something like the Slim, but I'll wait until my original drive is full.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #16834 of 17036 Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
That's pretty much the everyday price.

I want the 4TB Backup Plus Fast (two drives packaged together in a Raid 0, USB powered). Unfortunately it costs $270 . I'll probably end up with something like the Slim, but I'll wait until my original drive is full.

It'd be pretty rad if the X1 had NAS support...it probably wouldn't be too hard to port the iSCSI initiator from win 8. Not exactly user friendly, but it would work.

I wonder if there's some sort of iscsi to USB 3.0 bridge out there?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16835 of 17036 Old 08-22-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I may splurge on the 4TB Backup Plus Fast anyway, just 'cause it's so cool . But there are other toys I want that I should save my pennies for (I lust for the Gibson LPM with Min-ETune ).

"
" -- hookbill
post #16836 of 17036 Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I was just looking at Twitch out of curiosity; I'm a little surprised to see that Fibbage allows for Twitch broadcasting. Since you use a web browser as the controller, and just need the room code, people can 7 people can basically play for free as long as someone broadcasts.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #16837 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Question about Xbox Live. I just bought Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare for my son. I have a gold subscription but my son does not. He is unable to play, it says that he does not have an active Xbox live account. I was under the impression that if I had a gold subscription and the Xbox one he is using is my "home" xbox one, that he gets the benefits of Gold if he is in my family group. Is this something to do with origin servers or maybe a profile setting (he is under the teen restrictions).
post #16838 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post
Question about Xbox Live. I just bought Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare for my son. I have a gold subscription but my son does not. He is unable to play, it says that he does not have an active Xbox live account. I was under the impression that if I had a gold subscription and the Xbox one he is using is my "home" xbox one, that he gets the benefits of Gold if he is in my family group. Is this something to do with origin servers or maybe a profile setting (he is under the teen restrictions).
He still needs an Xbox LIVE account...(Silver, or Gold). Both my daughters accounts (Silver) show up on my Xbox One, and they can play. My son is not registered with LIVE, (he has a gamertag to play locally, but not on LIVE) and is unable to play under my account.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #16839 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I disconnected my Directv from the One today and am seeing a noticeable improvement in the picture, especially while watching Gods Team- the Minnesota Vikings tonight. I was so used to seeing digital artifacts when watching sporting events that I assumed it was poor broadcast quality. What a nice change.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #16840 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 111
Rebel!

LOL at the Vikings comment. Long time Bucs fan here. We miss you guys twice a year. It was always fun.

I tried the same thing the other day out of necessity because my stupid Onkyo receiver died.

I didn't notice any difference (on cable) except for not being able to turn on and control my gear with voice commands. It was very strange and confusing. I started grunting and had a odd desire to eat raw meat

Seriously, NFL preseason game video quality, especially any FOX Sports feed, has been horrendous this year. It's kind of sad that we pay so much for this crap. $150-$200 a month for cable redirected to season tickets again would equal a very nice seat. Except for the $15 beers. OK, bad plan.
post #16841 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Yeah, I'm waiting for the Xbox police to show up at my door.

I disconnected my DTV because I'm discontinuing the service and going with a bundled package from my local cable company. It's a tiny outfit and I'm not sure what boxes they use and if they'll be compatible with the Xbox. I'll save $30/mth and gain 100+channels by going this route.

Sorry to hear about your Onkyo. I was a big Onkyo guy for the past 20 years but the last couple of receivers I had went south due to the HDMI issues that's plagued these units. After the second one died with less than 2 years of use, I went with Yamaha.

I miss the pirate ship cannons!
tampabuc likes this.

post #16842 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Rebel!

LOL at the Vikings comment. Long time Bucs fan here. We miss you guys twice a year. It was always fun.

I tried the same thing the other day out of necessity because my stupid Onkyo receiver died.

I didn't notice any difference (on cable) except for not being able to turn on and control my gear with voice commands. It was very strange and confusing. I started grunting and had a odd desire to eat raw meat

Seriously, NFL preseason game video quality, especially any FOX Sports feed, has been horrendous this year. It's kind of sad that we pay so much for this crap. $150-$200 a month for cable redirected to season tickets again would equal a very nice seat. Except for the $15 beers. OK, bad plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Yeah, I'm waiting for the Xbox police to show up at my door.

I disconnected my DTV because I'm discontinuing the service and going with a bundled package from my local cable company. It's a tiny outfit and I'm not sure what boxes they use and if they'll be compatible with the Xbox. I'll save $30/mth and gain 100+channels by going this route.

Sorry to hear about your Onkyo. I was a big Onkyo guy for the past 20 years but the last couple of receivers I had went south due to the HDMI issues that's plagued these units. After the second one died with less than 2 years of use, I went with Yamaha.

I miss the pirate ship cannons!
Sorry to keep the derail going...but, which Onkyo's? I had an 807 that died... and accepted a refurbished 818 as a replacement. I am unhappily awaiting the 818's failure.

post #16843 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
I disconnected my Directv from the One today and am seeing a noticeable improvement in the picture, especially while watching Gods Team- the Minnesota Vikings tonight. I was so used to seeing digital artifacts when watching sporting events that I assumed it was poor broadcast quality. What a nice change.
So funny you just did that. I just de-coupled my Directv from the One a week ago, and noticed the same improvements(not to mention voice command was spotty). Picture's better, never going back.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #16844 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've had three mid-range Onkyo AVRs over the past 10 years. The first was part of an HTiB, finally replaced because it couldn't handle DD+ from Netflix. Then the TX-NR606 and now a TX-NR515. None of them has failed and they've all had more than the maximum number of HDMI devices connected; 3 HDMI devices are plugged into one of the inputs through a switch. I thought that the 606 had died and bought the 515, but it turned out to have been plugged into a broken outlet on my UPS (the battery was kaput). By the time I'd figured that out I'd spent a few hours laying on the floor hooking the 515 up and was loath to unhook it and put the 606 back.

"
" -- hookbill
post #16845 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Sorry to keep the derail going...but, which Onkyo's? I had an 807 that died... and accepted a refurbished 818 as a replacement. I am unhappily awaiting the 818's failure.
The most recent one is a TXNR807. I can't remember what the model was before that one. The oldest one, which is packed away and I can't remember that one either, is going on 20 years old, but was still going strong.

post #16846 of 17036 Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
So funny you just did that. I just de-coupled my Directv from the One a week ago, and noticed the same improvements(not to mention voice command was spotty). Picture's better, never going back.
Thank for the sanity check. Part of me thought that maybe it was just different, not better. The picture just seems to be much more clear.

post #16847 of 17036 Old 08-24-2014, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I am still not sure what the reason Microsoft had in mind in the first place when adding this feature...
post #16848 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
I am still not sure what the reason Microsoft had in mind in the first place when adding this feature...
I have to say, I still love it. I don't do most of my football/movie watching in the room with the One anyway, so picture quality isn't that big of a concern.

But to be able to go straight from tv right into whatever game I'm playing with a voice command is priceless. Especially when you only get 20-30 minutes at a time when you're not chasing a 2 year old around the house.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #16849 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
I have to say, I still love it. I don't do most of my football/movie watching in the room with the One anyway, so picture quality isn't that big of a concern.

But to be able to go straight from tv right into whatever game I'm playing with a voice command is priceless. Especially when you only get 20-30 minutes at a time when you're not chasing a 2 year old around the house.
I can see the logic in that.

I have a Harmony remote so switching between my always-on DVR and X1 is a simple one-button procedure with a few seconds of wait, so the same thing is accomplished.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

post #16850 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
I can see the logic in that.

I have a Harmony remote so switching between my always-on DVR and X1 is a simple one-button procedure with a few seconds of wait, so the same thing is accomplished.
I love the integration of the TV and the Xbox because I'm almost always watching TV in snap mode while playing especially since it is mostly single player games.
post #16851 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I use the TV integration with DirecTV, and I haven't noticed any degradation of the picture quality. We are thinking of building a pool, and I may do a cheap outdoor theater setup as well. I already have outdoor speakers, and I was thinking I could just do a cheap projector with a sheet. The TV integration on the X1 will come in handy for this setup, as I will be able to control the TV from the Smartglass app on my phone. Hot tub + monday night football + a frosty beverage = bliss in my book.

Regarding Onkyo... I bought Onkyo exclusively for years, but after having both a 606 and a 3008 fail due to hdmi board failure I will never buy one again. I now own Yamaha and Denon and both have been rock solid.
DavidinCT and tampabuc like this.
post #16852 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
My TX-NR515 finally died last weekend after a long and painful progression of audio/video drop-outs and HDMI switching issues.

To Onkyo's credit, they recently deployed a "formal" extended warrantee program (huge thanks to this forum for finding it) and my receiver will be out for a free repair soon.

I swore off the brand at first but at least they are attempting to make things right so they redeemed myself in my book. So much so, I took the plunge for a new Onkyo this weekend. I picked up a TX-NR636 with Dolby Atmos, HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2 support this weekend. There is a small sale at the Big Blue Box store this week. As an added bonus, I'll be able to gift the 515 refurb to a family member. Bottom line, it's hard to match Onkyo's forward thinking features at a $500-600 price point.

Glad to hear that you got a replacement and may that 807 v2 live a long and healthy life!

Here's the AVS thread on the Onkyo extended warrantee program if anyone needs it:

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018
chmorgan likes this.
post #16853 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

I must post this in my seemingly never ending crusade to prevent DD only (no competition)...

Today at (local game only retailer) I got $80 in trade-in value for only 2 "old" (no harm to the publisher & gaming professionals hopefully) X1 & PS4 games + 1 very old X360 game. I paid maybe $92 max for them originally. This is almost as good as the trade-in values of the launch games months ago ($40+).

Up-front, day-one game sales (average of $40), combined with current gen trade-in values are still netting way less than a few days of rental prices, after months & months of play time. Good times!

Of course, that will probably change tomorrow.

Last edited by tampabuc; 08-25-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #16854 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 05:14 PM

Wink

Quote:
My TX-NR515 finally died last weekend after a long and painful progression of audio/video drop-outs and HDMI switching issues.

To Onkyo's credit, they recently deployed a "formal" extended warrantee program (huge thanks to this forum for finding it) and my receiver will be out for a free repair soon.

I swore off the brand at first but at least they are attempting to make things right so they redeemed myself in my book. So much so, I took the plunge for a new Onkyo this weekend. I picked up a TX-NR636 with Dolby Atmos, HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2 support this weekend. There is a small sale at the Big Blue Box store this week. As an added bonus, I'll be able to gift the 515 refurb to a family member. Bottom line, it's hard to match Onkyo's forward thinking features at a $500-600 price point.

Glad to hear that you got a replacement and may that 807 v2 live a long and healthy life!

Here's the AVS thread on the Onkyo extended warrantee program if anyone needs it:

Thanks for posting this! My 807 qualified for the program and I'm sending it in for repairs. It will either go in my bedroom or I may sell it. Wanna buy a spare receiver?
tampabuc likes this.

post #16855 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Awesome and good luck! Anything less than perfect/instant HDMI handling is unacceptable.
post #16856 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is news. I must say I am quite surprised. Unless there is someone new in charge, that views customer service differently than the Onkyo I had dealt with concerning my 807...I would venture the guess, that there were some hefty class actions looming on the horizon for them.
I received deaf ears for two years, got the out of warranty, no audio repair, that killed functionality for my unit. I think they felt forced to offer me an 818 refurb.
I wonder what they are doing for the people they turned their backs on, for so long.

post #16857 of 17036 Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

That sucks. This is my 4th Onkyo, 1 failure - the 515. One beloved Pioneer Elite in the mix there also and it had issues a few years in, all open air by the way, so I'm not a big receiver fan in general.

Onkyo was/has been the only accessible (affordable) cutting edge option for so long going way back. Many years ago, they offered an unheard of amount of HDMI ports (7), 3D pass-thru, HD-Audio, etc., at a decent price, so their gear is hard to resist it and continues to be that way now.

Lets hope they can make it right. Upgrading a receiver every few years is not fun. They should not be disposable.
post #16858 of 17036 Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
I must post this in my seemingly never ending crusade to prevent DD only (no competition)...

Today at (local game only retailer) I got $80 in trade-in value for only 2 "old" (no harm to the publisher & gaming professionals hopefully) X1 & PS4 games + 1 very old X360 game. I paid maybe $92 max for them originally. This is almost as good as the trade-in values of the launch games months ago ($40+).

Up-front, day-one game sales (average of $40), combined with current gen trade-in values are still netting way less than a few days of rental prices, after months & months of play time. Good times!

Of course, that will probably change tomorrow.
To give a counterpoint, there have been plenty of sales on Microsoft Point cards recently so I saved money on my DD purchases without having to spend the time trading in games.
post #16859 of 17036 Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 377
post #16860 of 17036 Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Oh and it says the NHL demo is out. I didn't think we would see that until next week. I really want Metro but am already planning on getting NHL and Destiny (not sure what system yet) AND college football starts tomorrow and I still have the free Crysis 3on the PS3 to play. I do want to support the metro devs however... just wish they would have released a month ago.
tampabuc likes this.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page