Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17042 of 17060 Old 09-24-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Got this in my email today. FYI for anyone that cares.

We’re excited to announce that you can now upload files up to 10 GB from desktop, mobile, and the web! Our goal with OneDrive is to provide a single place for all your files, and we don’t want you to be limited by file size.

Thanks,

The OneDrive Team
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #17043 of 17060 Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrommert View Post
Looks like Plex for Xbox One will be here sooner than later

Original post on plex forums about the app said it was the Plex Home Theater App built on the xbox but in the pictures it shows that it has an xbox one UI (perhaps a skin for the xbox version)

Looks like testing is going on internally at Microsoft so it shouldn't be long now

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comm..._for_xbox_one/

Does Plex properly map the surround audio on the XBOne or is it borked like the other apps and HDMI input?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #17044 of 17060 Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Preface: buying for my cheapa** friend whose full next gen console experience is playing on low TV volume at night.

Headset advice: Now that there are more options than 6 months ago, recommendations on a stereo/mic headset in the ~$50-$70 range or use the $24 headset adapter?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #17045 of 17060 Old 09-25-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Does Plex properly map the surround audio on the XBOne or is it borked like the other apps and HDMI input?
I don't know...but we will see
post #17046 of 17060 Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Preface: buying for my cheapa** friend whose full next gen console experience is playing on low TV volume at night.

Headset advice: Now that there are more options than 6 months ago, recommendations on a stereo/mic headset in the ~$50-$70 range or use the $24 headset adapter?
For a stereo headset i would recommend the official headset which comes with the stereo adapter...if you don't like it , it is cheap enough to move one (taking out the adapter it is less than 50 dollars for the headset). Everyone i know who has one seems to like it
Cravit8 likes this.
post #17047 of 17060 Old 09-26-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Kickbeat: Special Edition is out now for $9.99.

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-On...2-63981edb7c61

post #17048 of 17060 Old Today, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 385
NBA 2K15 is available for Pre-Order/Pre-Download.

http://majornelson.com/2014/09/29/nb...rder-xbox-one/
post #17049 of 17060 Old Today, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Just in case anyones not entirely convinced about this whole Xbox/PC merge yet:

All the way on the right there's a TV with a Kinect under it. And one of those tiles is forza horizon 2...an Xbox one exclusive.

They're not talking about consumer stuff yet, but it's kind of hard to deny where this is going.
tampabuc and Cravit8 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #17050 of 17060 Old Today, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 123
So when does this Borg-like assimilation software come out?

Definitely all in (already there from a hardware perspective)...phone, tablet, consoles, & PCs.

I'm predicting the next Xbox design right now...

chmorgan likes this.
post #17051 of 17060 Old Today, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
So when does this Borg-like assimilation software come out?

Definitely all in (already there from a hardware perspective)...phone, tablet, consoles, & PCs.

I'm predicting the next Xbox design right now...

The first preview of Windows 10 comes out tomorrow, but the consumer/TV centric features arent expected until next year.
tampabuc likes this.

post #17052 of 17060 Old Today, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 168
According to one attendee (having trouble finding the article, maybe it was on Twitter), they talked about tablet, phone, and PC being one paradigm, and Xbox being another. So I'm not quite sure that they're saying what you think they are.

Edit: Found it:
Quote:
Single design approach to Phone, Tablet, PC. Another on Xbox. Another on Server. Etc.
https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/517007977962680321

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; Today at 07:05 PM.
post #17053 of 17060 Old Today, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hopefully its not a huge departure on the console side of things...

I'm not a big fan of one device fits all but it does work in the favor of the consumer in terms of ease of use, if nothing else.

Human computing evolution in a few bullet points, in order of advancement and importance, based on personal history...

PS4 (sorry, couldn't resist)
Vacuum tubes
IBM/MAC PC (1970's)
HP iPAC Pocket PC (2000)
Apple, day1 iPhone1 (2007)
Android; large screen (2012 - iPhone sucks; I give up)
Windows phone (done; wow I can actually do work, but WTF is Flappy Bird?)
post #17054 of 17060 Old Today, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
According to one attendee (having trouble finding the article, maybe it was on Twitter), they talked about tablet, phone, and PC being one paradigm, and Xbox being another. So I'm not quite sure that they're saying what you think they are.

Edit: Found it:

https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/517007977962680321
Its hard to say what exactly he means by that, or what MS meant by that. What do they even mean by paradigm? UI, etc? They've been pretty clear that devs can build universal apps and target the xbox, and they're showing an xbox one game in windows. So it can't be the apps themselves.

I think they're mainly referring to the shell. Server has always been a superset of standard, but some UI options were locked out. They said they're locking off the desktop on phone, so I seriously doubt they're going to allow a desktop on an xbox. They probably don't want to give up their control of the dash and all the ad revenue, etc. So I'm sure it'll remain a somewhat more controlled experience.

But if there's anything they're crystal clear about, it's the universal apps and store. So if windows runs the same apps, same services and same games....there really isn't much that sets apart a Win10 HTPC and an Xbox one in terms of functionality.

post #17055 of 17060 Old Today, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabuc View Post
Hopefully its not a huge departure on the console side of things...

I'm not a big fan of one device fits all but it does work in the favor of the consumer in terms of ease of use, if nothing else.

Human computing evolution in a few bullet points, in order of advancement and importance, based on personal history...

PS4 (sorry, couldn't resist)
Vacuum tubes
IBM/MAC PC (1970's)
HP iPAC Pocket PC (2000)
Apple, day1 iPhone1 (2007)
Android; large screen (2012 - iPhone sucks; I give up)
Windows phone (done; wow I can actually do work, but WTF is Flappy Bird?)
I doubt they're going to add any complexity to the xbox UI or OS from a user perspective, I mean it would be downright crazy if they allowed access to the point that you needed a virus scanner. Like you'll never see windows explorer on an xbox. But it could potentially mean an explosion of apps/games for the xbox one that will filter down to Win 10 HTPC. I suppose it all depends on how liberal they want to get with their policies. It's kind of hard to reconcile their heavy handed approach towards gamers and devs with the X1 vs a windows app store so desperate for apps they basically have no standards and were literally paying devs to build garbage apps.

post #17056 of 17060 Old Today, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Its hard to say what exactly he means by that, or what MS meant by that. What do they even mean by paradigm? UI, etc? They've been pretty clear that devs can build universal apps and target the xbox, and they're showing an xbox one game in windows.
Or it's a marketing mockup designed to show a future where the Xbox OS looks more similar to Windows 10. To be honest, I don't know why you would think the TV with a Kinect under it is supposed to show anything other than an Xbox being part of the same 'family' (as it is just running Windows with a different UI). I mean, I know you're completely convinced that the Xbox and a gaming PC will eventually be the same thing (and hey, if that happens, I'd be taking advantage of that immediately), but as of right now there has been zero evidence to support that prediction without reading way too much into things, in my opinion. I mean hell, they're not even going through the Windows Store for the few Xbox games that DO go to the PC. It's all through Steam... which doesn't tie into universal purchases at all.

And they've been pretty clear that select developers can build apps to target the Xbox's curated selection of apps. I don't see that changing anytime in the near future... though again I'd love if it did so I could get a MB3 app on my Xbox sooner.

Last edited by jhoff80; Today at 08:47 PM.
post #17057 of 17060 Old Today, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Or it's a marketing mockup designed to show a future where the Xbox OS looks more similar to Windows 10. To be honest, I don't know why you would think the TV with a Kinect under it is supposed to show anything other than an Xbox being part of the same 'family' (as it is just running Windows with a different UI). I mean, I know you're completely convinced that the Xbox and a gaming PC will eventually be the same thing (and hey, if that happens, I'd be taking advantage of that immediately), but as of right now there has been zero evidence to support that prediction without reading way too much into things, in my opinion. I mean hell, they're not even going through the Windows Store for the few Xbox games that DO go to the PC. It's all through Steam... which doesn't tie into universal purchases at all.
I think it because it was a presentation on windows running everywhere, not about xbox as a sole device. It was a long time before they even admitted that xbox ran on windows instead of a custom OS, and they only did so when they started talking about the universal apps. Don't forget that kinect 2 is coming to PC soon, so it's presence in no way assumes an xbox one is involved. This was absolutely not the forum for them to release a new xbox UI...that was windows running on a TV.

Microsoft published games like spartan assault are totally on the windows store, but that shouldn't be a measure of things anyway. In windows 8, the windows app store was all about metro apps, and metro apps were all about touch...so you shouldn't expect to see anything but mobile games in there right now anyway. In windows 10 the new app framework is just as focused on the desktop and TV form factor, so I expect to see a lot more "real" games and apps in it. I'm sure steam will remain the dominant PC gaming service, but devs don't necessarily have to choose to release on one store or the other. They can release a windows store version and a steam version, and building the windows store version shouldn't be a problem for big name games anyway, since it should just be a slight variation on the xbox one version. There's a whole bunch of games where I'd prefer an windows/xbox version over a steam version.

As far as that tiny list of approved devs...the universal app dev environment for the xbox isnt finished yet. Until then, it's probably best to keep the circle tight, since the current tools probably arent in a state for the average dev to use yet. They're saying windows 10 is now late next year, which lines up with their DX12 roadmap, and would be just in time for a late year xbox overhaul that finally brings it all together.

Last edited by bd2003; Today at 09:41 PM.
post #17058 of 17060 Old Today, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
This was absolutely not the forum for them to release a new xbox UI...that was windows running on a TV.

Of course. They definitely didn't release anything. It's a marketing mockup to demonstrate the similarity of the product family across all devices.

As for Kinect v2 for PC, that's already out, and Microsoft has (again, as with Kinect v1) done nothing with it other than push it as a device for developers to do cool stuff with. It's not intended for the consumer, and after 3 years encompassing Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1, it doesn't appear that Microsoft ever cares about the PC version for the consumer.

I mean, it definitely might happen. But you have to really already think it's going to happen to be convinced by a picture that's pretty clearly supposed to be a representation of an Xbox and Kinect attached to a TV. If you don't already have the preconceived idea that it's happening, the 'evidence' looks like a huge reach.

What can I say, I'm a skeptic.

post #17059 of 17060 Old Today, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 502
they talked about Xbox One on Windows 8 for a long time, ever since they talked virtual machines and the entire architecture. since the debut of the system and if you go by the leaks, long before the debut of the One.

and the Windows Store currently does have desktop apps but not direct downloads but referrals to other sites.

the move away from Win32 is still ongoing. WinRT is not and never will go away from here on out especially since the universal app is targeted toward all platforms.
post #17060 of 17060 Old Today, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Of course. They definitely didn't release anything. It's a marketing mockup to demonstrate the similarity of the product family across all devices.

As for Kinect v2 for PC, that's already out, and Microsoft has (again, as with Kinect v1) done nothing with it other than push it as a device for developers to do cool stuff with. It's not intended for the consumer, and after 3 years encompassing Windows 7, Windows 8.0, and Windows 8.1, it doesn't appear that Microsoft ever cares about the PC version for the consumer.

I mean, it definitely might happen. But you have to really already think it's going to happen to be convinced by a picture that's pretty clearly supposed to be a representation of an Xbox and Kinect attached to a TV. If you don't already have the preconceived idea that it's happening, the 'evidence' looks like a huge reach.

What can I say, I'm a skeptic.
Well I've been saying it for what feels like years now, I put all the little pieces together long ago. It's not just one thing, it's a million different things. To me it feels like denying what's happening here is like denying OJ did it.

I totally get the skepticism, I mean this is basically the free wheeling PC mentality smashing head on into the tightly controlled authoritarian console mentality...its a huge change.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page