post #17641 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
So now that the Xbox One doesn't push Kinect or TV on me...

When did they push TV on you? It's an option; I tried it, didn't care for it and never bothered with it again. My game consoles are for playing games. I don't run multimedia apps on them.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17642 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Speak of apps...can you install those to an external drive too? Any faster with an SSD?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #17643 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
When did they push TV on you? It's an option; I tried it, didn't care for it and never bothered with it again. My game consoles are for playing games. I don't run multimedia apps on them.
When the Xbox One was launching, Microsoft was pushing the TV integration option heavily. It didn't sit well with me because it didn't work very well, and I want my console to be primarily for game-related activities, which is what Sony was featuring.

They seem to be backing off on featuring that option.
post #17644 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
When the Xbox One was launching, Microsoft was pushing the TV integration option heavily. It didn't sit well with me because it didn't work very well, and I want my console to be primarily for game-related activities, which is what Sony was featuring.

The only way Microsoft has backed away from the TV features is killing the studio they created to make content. In all other ways they have continued forward with the original idea of integrating all forms of entertainment under the Xbox One. The perception may have changed, but if you look at what they are doing is no different that what they originally announced in terms of television/media.

And Sony has also taking giant steps to integrating television into the PS4 with their announced Vue initiative. Neither console is strictly a games only device.
post #17645 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Speak of apps...can you install those to an external drive too? Any faster with an SSD?

You can transfer everything to an external drive and make it your primary drive, with the system drive used for overflow. Insofar as the app or game is disk I/O bound, it's sped up by a faster drive. People have used SSD's for it. Speed increases are not always dramatic.

I just bought a Seagate Backup Plus Fast, a USB powered 2 drive Raid 0 set in a pocket sized enclosure. Stupidly expensive for 4 GB but I had to have it 'cause it's just soooo cool . It was probably a horrible waste of money, but I'll survive .

post #17646 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You can transfer everything to an external drive and make it your primary drive, with the system drive used for overflow. Insofar as the app or game is disk I/O bound, it's sped up by a faster drive. People have used SSD's for it. Speed increases are not always dramatic.

I just bought a Seagate Backup Plus Fast, a USB powered 2 drive Raid 0 set in a pocket sized enclosure. Stupidly expensive for 4 GB but I had to have it 'cause it's just soooo cool . It was probably a horrible waste of money, but I'll survive .
Hmph...I'm allergic to mechanical storage so I figured I'd just pop my spare 60GB SSD in an enclosure and use it for the few apps and games I'm ever likely to use on it, but apparently it needs to be 256GB+ to use it as app/game storage? Wtf?

post #17647 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If by "pushing" you mean advertising it, sure, but nothing in the system actually makes you use it, just as nothing in the system requires you to use Kinect (though the UI was a bit optimized for it). The advertising can be easily ignored.

post #17648 of 17657 Unread Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Shadow of Mordor was the tipping point for me I went and got a 5 TB drive today so I can have enough to download the game. The setup was pretty hassle free. I have not tested to see if the load times are faster, but I primarily care about not running out of space for a while.
tampabuc likes this.

Last edited by spid; Today at 02:50 PM.
post #17649 of 17657 Unread Today, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Hmph...I'm allergic to mechanical storage so I figured I'd just pop my spare 60GB SSD in an enclosure and use it for the few apps and games I'm ever likely to use on it, but apparently it needs to be 256GB+ to use it as app/game storage? Wtf?
What could you possibly use a 60GB drive for? Halo Collection alone takes up 59GB.
post #17650 of 17657 Unread Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_H View Post
What could you possibly use a 60GB drive for? Halo Collection alone takes up 59GB.

Literally the only game I'll ever play on it is cod, 60gb should be enough for one game and any apps.

post #17651 of 17657 Unread Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
All the games and apps can load faster from an SSD. An SSD is the only place I install all my games and apps on both my XBOnes.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #17652 of 17657 Unread Today, 01:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Yes. When they announced external storage they said 250GB(or 256GB?) was the minimum size drive you could use. I use a 1TB SSD with my main XBOne. ANd I use two 480GB SSDs with my secondary XBOne.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #17653 of 17657 Unread Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 577
I have a 3 TB on my black One. Still looking for a good deal for a fast drive on my white One. All the deals are for slow drives.
post #17654 of 17657 Unread Today, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. When they announced external storage they said 250GB(or 256GB?) was the minimum size drive you could use. I use a 1TB SSD with my main XBOne. ANd I use two 480GB SSDs with my secondary XBOne.

In general, a 1TB external USB 3.0 SSD will cost more than your Xbox . I don't see any advertised online for less than $450.

post #17655 of 17657 Unread Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
In general, a 1TB external USB 3.0 SSD will cost more than your Xbox . I don't see any advertised online for less than $450.

I'm seeing a whole bunch for 350ish, but I guess that's still more expensive than an Xbox now.

With SSDs you don't need another enclosure, the 2.5" casing is already an enclosure. Just buy a USB3 to SATA cable:

http://www.startech.com/m/HDD/Adapte...P~USB3S2SAT3CB

and you should be fine.

post #17656 of 17657 Unread Today, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Shadow of Mordor was the tipping point for me I went and got a 5 TB drive today so I can have enough to download the game. The setup was pretty hassle free. I have not test to see if the load times are faster, but I primarily care about not running out of space for a while.

Got the 5TB drive this weekend as well, at Best Buy (only $130). I now have a 2TB portable solution, to easily move between multiple consoles, and have now added 5TB of DIRECT media storage through the X1, instant access (no other device, server, etc. needs to be powered on). I plan to swap out everything for faster drives someday but for right now, everything is performing nicely.
post #17657 of 17657 Unread Today, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm seeing a whole bunch for 350ish, but I guess that's still more expensive than an Xbox now.

With SSDs you don't need another enclosure, the 2.5" casing is already an enclosure. Just buy a USB3 to SATA cable:

http://www.startech.com/m/HDD/Adapte...P~USB3S2SAT3CB

and you should be fine.

Yeah, if you remove the enclosure requirement I see some for $350. Interesting "cable". Its claims for UASP performance enhancement are fascinating, but it seem highly unlikely that the Xbox One's USB 3.0 ports have the required hardware.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page