post #17731 of 18002 Old 12-01-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It also needs wake-on-network. Whatever; it seems likely that they could have made it use less power. My TiVo Roamio uses about 10W while recording all four tuners and concurrently watching a recording or streaming video. 15W just to resume quickly is an embarrassment.

S3 can handle wake on network, I think even S4 or "soft-off" can as well.

I get why the 360 was so power hungry, 8 years ago this stuff wasn't nearly as advanced...but now I have a phone that can stay connected and resume instantaneously while using milliwatts, and a monster PC that can suspend to 2W and wake up in 2 seconds, not to mention idle at the start screen at like half the power of the x1's idle. They can def do a lot better, hopefully some of this improves over time.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17732 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Heres a question about TV playback through the Xbox One:

On other passthrough devices I've used (like Google TV, Slingbox) you are able to control your cable box contextually. Meaning that if for some reason your cable box tossed you a pop up message you could get rid of it. Also for more advanced boxes like the X1 you could get into your DVR recordings or other areas on the box using the arrow keys and select button.

I can't seem to figure that out on the Xbox One. The only controls I can see are transport to pause, rewind, etc. Is there a way to get into my DVR recordings?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #17733 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Heres a question about TV playback through the Xbox One:

On other passthrough devices I've used (like Google TV, Slingbox) you are able to control your cable box contextually. Meaning that if for some reason your cable box tossed you a pop up message you could get rid of it. Also for more advanced boxes like the X1 you could get into your DVR recordings or other areas on the box using the arrow keys and select button.

I can't seem to figure that out on the Xbox One. The only controls I can see are transport to pause, rewind, etc. Is there a way to get into my DVR recordings?
If you use smartglass on your smartphone or tablet you can directly control your cable box. I use it for my HTPC running WMC 7 and it works fine, so I would imagine that it would work with mainstream cable boxes. Here is a photo of the smartglass cable remote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart-Glass-Remote.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	397914  
post #17734 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Actually I am using WMC too - just through my Xbox 360.

I'm not really interested in using a phone at all, but at least knowing that works maybe I can set my Harmony up to mimic it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #17735 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I'm not really interested in using a phone at all, but at least knowing that works maybe I can set my Harmony up to mimic it.
If you are using a Harmony, I was reminded of this post a page back that might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
... I have the cable box going through the Xbox now and may setup a separate activity for my wife to watch TV when I am not home as per this guide:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/xbox-...e-tv-30955098/
post #17736 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It won't have the dedicated buttons for On Demand, PVR and a couple others form your Cable box so be sure to add them to your home screen on the Harmony. I set this up last night and even though it seemed to work (other than turning everything off 1 time when I tried to watch TV) I still won't trust it for my Wife to use when I am not home 1 evening a week to play poker. Nothing worse than getting a text---- "I can't get the TV to work....what did you do to it?"

I may buy a decent HDMI splitter or I may just put the cable box back through my receiver. I don't find the One Guide that useful anyways.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #17737 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post
It won't have the dedicated buttons for On Demand, PVR and a couple others form your Cable box so be sure to add them to your home screen on the Harmony. I set this up last night and even though it seemed to work (other than turning everything off 1 time when I tried to watch TV) I still won't trust it for my Wife to use when I am not home 1 evening a week to play poker. Nothing worse than getting a text---- "I can't get the TV to work....what did you do to it?"

I may buy a decent HDMI splitter or I may just put the cable box back through my receiver. I don't find the One Guide that useful anyways.

Lol, my wife has a masters degree yet she's still unable to grasp the concept that you need to keep the harmony pointed at the TV while it sends all the commands. Every device that needs to be turned on or switched is a potential failure point, I've learned to keep those to a minimum. No matter how simple you try to make it, she will find a way to break it.
Poolshark69 and steve1022 like this.

post #17738 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Lol, my wife has a masters degree yet she's still unable to grasp the concept that you need to keep the harmony pointed at the TV while it sends all the commands. Every device that needs to be turned on or switched is a potential failure point, I've learned to keep those to a minimum. No matter how simple you try to make it, she will find a way to break it.
And what's funny is the opposite. With RF devices that don't need line of sight. People will still point the remotes at the devices.

Fortunately in my main setup with a Harmony One, just about every IR device can be controlled with the Harmony pointed in any direction. Even if i point the remote at the floor, behind the couch, all but a couple of IR devices will respond.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #17739 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And what's funny is the opposite. With RF devices that don't need line of sight. People will still point the remotes at the devices.

Fortunately in my main setup with a Harmony One, just about every IR device can be controlled with the Harmony pointed in any direction. Even if i point the remote at the floor, behind the couch, all but a couple of IR devices will respond.

Man, I wish. My wife likes things to be pretty so she stuffs the Apple TV in the corner of a windowed and partitioned TV stand, and then blames me or the harmony when it doesn't turn on. She's the kind of person that when something doesn't work, she'll press the button again with an attitude...like the TV didn't turn on because it wasn't sure she really meant it.

The Xbox is coming tonight...I'm gonna see how she does with kinect.

post #17740 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Heh - the Kinect camera was a huge WAF fail.

Which is fine, I'm happier keeping it unplugged. I don't like motion controls or talking to my equipment, even if it worked perfectly, which it often didn't. It should probably go on eBay - they seem to be going for $60-70.
post #17741 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Black Friday sales numbers are on fire. Excellent.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/...ne-crushes-it/
post #17742 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Make sure you run the calibration routine. A lot of people just hook it up and then expect perfect results. The calibration is supposed to be redone every time you move the Kinect or move objects in the room as the routine sonically maps the room.

Most people never run it or run it once.
Artman22 likes this.
post #17743 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Black Friday sales numbers are on fire. Excellent.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/...ne-crushes-it/
How reliable is this chart that's floating around from InfoScout?

I can't imagine that the 360's primary competitor, the PS3, only took 1% of Black Friday console business.
post #17744 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Make sure you run the calibration routine. A lot of people just hook it up and then expect perfect results. The calibration is supposed to be redone every time you move the Kinect or move objects in the room as the routine sonically maps the room.

Most people never run it or run it once.
Yeah, she just wasnt having it, I never even unwrapped the thing.

So far it's def night and day better than it was on launch day. As long as it works properly with my harmony that I think it'll make a good media box until there's ever something I want to play on it. There's no other device I know of that has both HBO and Amazon and also works with a remote.

post #17745 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm...the harmony isnt working, I thought the xbox had an IR sensor on the box itself?

post #17746 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
Well I got my refurbished X1 today. Basically like opening a brand new one. Pretty cool. Microsoft messed up. I chose GTA V as my free game and they sent me 2 of them! I'm really an honest person so I'll call them to let them know the goof. Just don't understand how something like that happens. The weird thing is one came in a large box by itself. The other in a padded envelope. Why isn't their packaging consistent?

Per FTC.gov you don't have to send it back or even notify them. If it was a small company though it would be neighborly to ring them.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #17747 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Hmm...the harmony isnt working, I thought the xbox had an IR sensor on the box itself?

Yes, it does. Under the panel immediately to the right of the disc slot.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #17748 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My Harmony One is working great with the Xbox One, which is one of the reasons I'm favoring the XB1 over the PS4 lately. It's now my primary Netflix machine, and HBO Go is looking good too.
Artman22 likes this.
post #17749 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
Well I got my refurbished X1 today. Basically like opening a brand new one. Pretty cool. Microsoft messed up. I chose GTA V as my free game and they sent me 2 of them! I'm really an honest person so I'll call them to let them know the goof. Just don't understand how something like that happens. The weird thing is one came in a large box by itself. The other in a padded envelope. Why isn't their packaging consistent?

Per FTC.gov you don't have to send it back or even notify them. If it was a small company though it would be neighborly to ring them.
I know. They never would have known. You wouldn't believe how hard it was for the foreign technician to understand the problem. It was ridiculous. He kept thinking I was calling because I didn't receive the game. Every time I thought he got it he didn't. I don't know how else to tell someone that I received two copies of my free game and I was only supposed to get one. They made an error and I am trying to give them their game back so they can sell it.

I just like doing the right thing. I work for a multi billion dollar company and everyone screws up. My particular job I am not allowed to ever make a mistake. I am thankful for the times someone saves my butt and keeps me out of trouble. Everything with my job is focused on doing it right all the time. It's an impossible expectation, but that is the nuclear energy field. It keeps the public safe and radioactive free, lol.
post #17750 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
My Harmony One is working great with the Xbox One, which is one of the reasons I'm favoring the XB1 over the PS4 lately. It's now my primary Netflix machine, and HBO Go is looking good too.
Yeah, I figured it out...by default the harmony software had mapped all the buttons from TV remote, not the xbox. Once I went in and remapped everything it worked fine.

I havent had a chance to try out plex or the media player but so far it's pretty good, I love the way you can pin shows and seasons to the home screen. The netflix app is a bit of an abomination but I did manage to figure out that you can pin a show by hitting menu while youre playing it.

However awful the tile interface is on a desktop it's pretty great for a big screen TV and it's light years ahead of the PS4 or any other streamer. I still hope they merge this interface into windows and/or put out an xbox lite, and fold OTA TV and DVR into it as well...it has the framework to be the ultimate media box but it's massive overkill from a hardware perspective for that. Once I sell off all the other stuff I'll have paid $200ish for it, and I can probably pawn off the FireTV for at least $50 now too. Thankfully they got rid of the gold sub requirement for media apps, hopefully one day they'll do the same for MP games as well.
DaverJ likes this.

post #17751 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
The netflix app is a bit of an abomination but I did manage to figure out that you can pin a show by hitting menu while youre playing it.

Sadly, it used to be far better until Netflix standardized it to match all of their other garbage apps.
Sorax likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #17752 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
How reliable is this chart that's floating around from InfoScout?

I can't imagine that the 360's primary competitor, the PS3, only took 1% of Black Friday console business.
To get this data, InfoScout uses two smartphone apps that reward consumers for uploading their purchases by taking pictures of their receipts. The intelligence firm tracks more than 200,000 shoppers, and it gets more than 125,000 receipts on an average day. On Black Friday, consumers uploaded more than 182,000 receipts, which helped InfoScout declare Xbox One the Black Friday winner.

Who the heck is shopping for PS3? Budget-minded people favored the 360. BF had better 360 bundles as well.
post #17753 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Heh - the Kinect camera was a huge WAF fail.

Which is fine, I'm happier keeping it unplugged. I don't like motion controls or talking to my equipment, even if it worked perfectly, which it often didn't. It should probably go on eBay - they seem to be going for $60-70.
I'll buy the Kinect from you if you don't want it PM me if interested.

Last edited by Soycrema; 12-02-2014 at 09:59 PM.
post #17754 of 18002 Old 12-02-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Who the heck is shopping for PS3? Budget-minded people favored the 360. BF had better 360 bundles as well.
While I didn't see many great deals and I fully expected the PS4 and the XB1 to garner the lion's share of Black Friday shopping, 1% still seems incredibly minuscule for such a successful platform that feels like it has a lot of life left in it.

But I don't see anything glaringly wrong with their methodology that you posted, so I guess it must be in the ballpark.
post #17755 of 18002 Old 12-03-2014, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
The netflix app is a bit of an abomination...

Surely you'd seen it before--isn't it the same on the PS4? It's on my TiVos, Roku 3, PS3 and Xbox 360; they introduced it about a year ago. They've improved it since it appeared, returning "play from beginning" to the title menus. (Little hint--if you're controlling it with a pad, press the right stick for this stream status info display; sadly, I don't think that there's any corresponding IR code. It's an unsupported bit of debugging code, though well known and widely used by subs on various devices).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #17756 of 18002 Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Surely you'd seen it before--isn't it the same on the PS4? It's on my TiVos, Roku 3, PS3 and Xbox 360; they introduced it about a year ago. They've improved it since it appeared, returning "play from beginning" to the title menus. (Little hint--if you're controlling it with a pad, press the right stick for this stream status info display; sadly, I don't think that there's any corresponding IR code. It's an unsupported bit of debugging code, though well known and widely used by subs on various devices).
Yeah, it just seems particularly out of place on the xbox. It loads offensively slow compared to other apps, and even much slower than the fire TV.

post #17757 of 18002 Old 12-03-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The slow loads probably aren't related at all to the X1, but the crappy development of the Netflix app. As stated, it's completely slow compared to other apps as well as it's former incarnation on the X1.
post #17758 of 18002 Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My wife made me get one of the things that covers up the camera.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #17759 of 18002 Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
My wife made me get one of the things that covers up the camera.

It'll keep dust off the lense!

-Crav

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #17760 of 18002 Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Question for you guys. I have my PC hooked up to the Xbox one. I want to use the Xbox one Controller for some steam games that are on the PC. How do I unpair the Xbox one controller from the Xbox one to use on the PC? I'm imagining that if you don't unpair the controller that it would cause the tv guide to come up when I press "X" or back out of the TV app if I press "B". Anyone try this yet or have suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page