Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
my receiver accepts a 7.1 channel signal

what I'm wondering is does a 7.1 signal include two extra sound channels that get mixed in my 5.1 setup or does the 5.1 signal do the same thing, except at the Xbox One level and not the AVR level?
If you have 5 speakers and one sub hooked to your receiver, you pick 5.1

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV  || Denon AVR-2113CI || Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts) || Polk Monitor 50's (Rears) || Polk CS2 (Center) || Acoustech PL-200

Xbox Live : BoDEAN96 -- Feel free to add me (msg me you are from AVSForums) and we can game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17912 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post
You won't be able to get what you don't have. If you select 7.1 whatever goes through the channels you don't have you won't hear from what I understand.
Depends on what the speaker bar is designed to do with it. My SOny 3.1 and 2.1 speaker bars accept up to 7.1 PCM. ANd all audio input from a 7.1 pcm signal is output. It does some kind of surround processing that makes you hear audio around you even though everything is emanating from the speaker bar and subwoofer. I've always been amazed at how well it works. OF course it's not a substitute for a discrete system, but for what it is, it works amazingly well.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #17913 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post
You won't be able to get what you don't have. If you select 7.1 whatever goes through the channels you don't have you won't hear from what I understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
If you have 5 speakers and one sub hooked to your receiver, you pick 5.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Depends on what the speaker bar is designed to do with it. My SOny 3.1 and 2.1 speaker bars accept up to 7.1 PCM. ANd all audio input from a 7.1 pcm signal is output. It does some kind of surround processing that makes you hear audio around you even though everything is emanating from the speaker bar and subwoofer. I've always been amazed at how well it works. OF course it's not a substitute for a discrete system, but for what it is, it works amazingly well.
my AVR is 5.1 only but accepts a 7.1 LPCM signal... so I'm guessing it just downmixes the extra two surrounds into the 2 existing surrounds (left side and left rear surround mix into left surround and right side and right rear surround mix into right surround)
post #17914 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Playing Xbox One from a different room in the house?

Hey guys - I'd like to rig something up so that I can play the Xbox One from a different room in th house than where the unit is located. I'd love to get your thought on this project.

I am inspired by the PlayStation TV. For those unfamiliar, the PS TV has a feature called "remote play". Its a $80 box that you put in a different room and it connects to the controllers and talks to the PS4 in a remote room over Wifi or Ethernet. I have a PS4 also, and the PS TV works incredibly well. So much so, that I would love something like this for the Xbox One. As far as I know, it doesn't exist, so I wanted to see if I could put something together...

To get this working for the Xbox One I'll of course need a way for the Xbox to talk to the controller and a way for me to get the video from it. The controllers seem like they would be the trickiest part. Fortunately the "remote" room I want to play from is located directly on the floor above the room where the Xbox One is and by "line of sight" only about 15 feet away. Therefore I am quite confident the controllers will work just like I was in the room with the Xbox One - so that should take care of the controller part of it.

For the video part, I was thinking to use HDMI over Ethernet, which I know little about. Some quick Googling turned up a couple $100 options which is pricey (no sense spending $200, since you need a converted on each end, on equipment to do this when you can get an entire Xbox One for not much more...). Then I came up with this from Monoprice for $18 http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 . It says its HDCP compliant and passes 1080p and supports digital sound like DTS-MA.

So I am thinking that from the Xbox One I can go to a splitter. One end of the splitter will go to my TV in the same room that the Xbox One is in. The purpose of this is so that I don't have to move the HDMI cable in the main room to go back and forth between viewing there and the remote room. The other end will go into the HDMI to Ethernet adapter, over Ethernet to the remote room. Then from there it'll go into another Ethernet to HDMI adapter and into the TV in the remote room. This should bring the video and audio to the remote room.

What do you guys think of this plan? Think it can work? Anyone with experience trying this type of thing? Thanks!
post #17915 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Hey guys - I'd like to rig something up so that I can play the Xbox One from a different room in th house than where the unit is located. I'd love to get your thought on this project.

I am inspired by the PlayStation TV. For those unfamiliar, the PS TV has a feature called "remote play". Its a $80 box that you put in a different room and it connects to the controllers and talks to the PS4 in a remote room over Wifi or Ethernet. I have a PS4 also, and the PS TV works incredibly well. So much so, that I would love something like this for the Xbox One. As far as I know, it doesn't exist, so I wanted to see if I could put something together...

To get this working for the Xbox One I'll of course need a way for the Xbox to talk to the controller and a way for me to get the video from it. The controllers seem like they would be the trickiest part. Fortunately the "remote" room I want to play from is located directly on the floor above the room where the Xbox One is and by "line of sight" only about 15 feet away. Therefore I am quite confident the controllers will work just like I was in the room with the Xbox One - so that should take care of the controller part of it.

For the video part, I was thinking to use HDMI over Ethernet, which I know little about. Some quick Googling turned up a couple $100 options which is pricey (no sense spending $200, since you need a converted on each end, on equipment to do this when you can get an entire Xbox One for not much more...). Then I came up with this from Monoprice for $18 http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 . It says its HDCP compliant and passes 1080p and supports digital sound like DTS-MA.

So I am thinking that from the Xbox One I can go to a splitter. One end of the splitter will go to my TV in the same room that the Xbox One is in. The purpose of this is so that I don't have to move the HDMI cable in the main room to go back and forth between viewing there and the remote room. The other end will go into the HDMI to Ethernet adapter, over Ethernet to the remote room. Then from there it'll go into another Ethernet to HDMI adapter and into the TV in the remote room. This should bring the video and audio to the remote room.

What do you guys think of this plan? Think it can work? Anyone with experience trying this type of thing? Thanks!

Why get ethernet involved? Just use a long HDMI cable (I use a 75ft with zero issues) and a splitter. I do a similar thing with my PC, controller works perfectly through the floor to the wireless receiver in the basement.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #17916 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

It seems easier to just get a second XBOne. This is what I did for my secondary setup.

LED DLP
post #17917 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It seems easier to just get a second XBOne. This is what I did for my secondary setup.

This isn't difficult or complicated at all, it just requires a willingness to drill a hole large enough to slot a HDMI cable through. It was one of those things that was so easy but so amazingly useful that I wondered why I didn't do it sooner.

post #17918 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Quote:

Why get ethernet involved? Just use a long HDMI cable (I use a 75ft with zero issues) and a splitter. I do a similar thing with my PC, controller works perfectly through the floor to the wireless receiver in the basement.
Ethernet because I already have a hardwired cable between the Xbox room and the remote room. And it would be very challenging to try and run a long HDMI cable.

So I guess the main thing I am trying to determine is if the HDMI to Ethernet product I linked to (or one like it) would work. Anyone try something like this with their Xbox?
post #17919 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

I can't vouch for that product, but it requires two cables since HDMI is crazy high bandwidth, and you can't share it with other devices.

post #17920 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't vouch for that product, but it requires two cables since HDMI is crazy high bandwidth, and you can't share it with other devices.
Thanks! Are you sure? I thought they were showing two because one was for one end (Xbox) and the other was for the other end (remote TV), no?
post #17921 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Thanks! Are you sure? I thought they were showing two because one was for one end (Xbox) and the other was for the other end (remote TV), no?

Each side has two ports, and it says it needs a pair in the description. Cat6 is specced for 1gbps, I think HDMI is like 4+gbps at 1080p, I can't see how they can make it work with one cable. You'd have to run another wire anyway so just save yourself the headache and run HDMI.

The other thing to consider is that HDMI will handshake at the lowest common denominator, so if your TV only accepts 2 channel PCM like mine you'll be limited to stereo on your other setup if the HDMI is always active on your TV. If that's an issue you'll need a second remote controlled HDMI switch at your TV so you can switch that input off. Not a big deal, it's like 10 bucks. If you're gonna go through with it I'll link you to all the stuff I use, but before you even consider it test the controller out first. No point in any of this if that doesn't work.
kevin g. likes this.

post #17922 of 18001 Old 12-11-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Anyone running HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6 should be using HDBAseT devices. They utilize only one cat5e/cat6 cable and can handle 1080P and 7.1 audio as well. I've never used one for gaming but at work that is all we use now for our clients to send video and audio to one or more locations.

LED DLP
post #17923 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I have 4 of these Monoprice 8121 HDMI extenders in my house, and have installed others. Yes, 2 cat 5e/6 cables are required. These are non-powered/passive devices, necessitating the need for the 2nd cable. In my experience, they work great. I am using (3) to extend U-Verse receivers, and one to extending my Xbox One to my AV receiver.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11
post #17924 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 254
If you're going to route a cable just pull two cat6 AND an HDMI. The work and hard part is often getting the cable from point A to point B, not the procurement of the cable itself.

I've discovered that it never hurts to have options and it never hurts to have distributed A/V (HDMI) and Network.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #17925 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Anyone running HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6 should be using HDBAseT devices. They utilize only one cat5e/cat6 cable and can handle 1080P and 7.1 audio as well. I've never used one for gaming but at work that is all we use now for our clients to send video and audio to one or more locations.
I wonder how that works? I guess the cheap one just directly connects the wires (I have no idea how many pins HDMI has), but the more expensive ones modulate/convert the signal on both ends?

post #17926 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Each side has two ports, and it says it needs a pair in the description. Cat6 is specced for 1gbps, I think HDMI is like 4+gbps at 1080p, I can't see how they can make it work with one cable. You'd have to run another wire anyway so just save yourself the headache and run HDMI.

The other thing to consider is that HDMI will handshake at the lowest common denominator, so if your TV only accepts 2 channel PCM like mine you'll be limited to stereo on your other setup if the HDMI is always active on your TV. If that's an issue you'll need a second remote controlled HDMI switch at your TV so you can switch that input off. Not a big deal, it's like 10 bucks. If you're gonna go through with it I'll link you to all the stuff I use, but before you even consider it test the controller out first. No point in any of this if that doesn't work.
THIS... being the key. The Xbox One controller distance will be your weak link here. I have a 35 foot HDMI from my basement theater to my upstairs bedroom, (almost directly above my rack area), where I can play the 360 with no problems. The same cannot be said for my One...The constant disconnects would never allow me to play any thing that requires precision, let alone online MP...
I don't think you'll get away with it, unless you are just using it for the media purposes. (Which you can control via Smartglass...)

Good Luck, either way...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #17927 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
THIS... being the key. The Xbox One controller distance will be your weak link here. I have a 35 foot HDMI from my basement theater to my upstairs bedroom, (almost directly above my rack area), where I can play the 360 with no problems. The same cannot be said for my One...The constant disconnects would never allow me to play any thing that requires precision, let alone online MP...
I don't think you'll get away with it, unless you are just using it for the media purposes. (Which you can control via Smartglass...)

Good Luck, either way...

Yeah you can't just assume. My 360 controller and ds4 works fine through the floor with my PC or the 360 but it's unplayable with the ps4. If it doesn't reach your only option is to move the Xbox closer.

post #17928 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Phil spencer on Twitter:

@RpLayy I'll be focusing more on what we are doing on Win10 in January, it's time for us to talk about gaming on Windows.

Finally! So just one more month until they finally start talking about the thing I've been talking about for years.

post #17929 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Phil spencer on Twitter:

@RpLayy I'll be focusing more on what we are doing on Win10 in January, it's time for us to talk about gaming on Windows.

Finally! So just one more month until they finally start talking about the thing I've been talking about for years.

Genuinely curious about what you mean here. Do you theorized that PC games might be ported to xbox one through the Windows 10 universal apps? I hope so, I would love to have a steam like client that I can play games on my Xbox One or even stream games to my Xbox one from my PC (Allow for the high end graphics to be processed on my PC and streamed to the console).
post #17930 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post
Genuinely curious about what you mean here. Do you theorized that PC games might be ported to xbox one through the Windows 10 universal apps? I hope so, I would love to have a steam like client that I can play games on my Xbox One or even stream games to my Xbox one from my PC (Allow for the high end graphics to be processed on my PC and streamed to the console).

The basic idea is that they're merging Xbox and windows. One store, one version of games and apps. For PC gamers that means a way better TV based UI and a whole bunch of apps designed for a TV. For Xbox one users it likewise means an explosion of new apps and potentially much lower prices over time on everything because the reality remains that they need to compete with steam, so something has to give. I expect pretty much everything to be cross buy and cross play across Xbox/windows. There will come a point where people will hear the word Xbox and not think of a piece of hardware, but an entertainment software platform across all hardware. In that scenario the Xbox one is basically just like a surface.

The details and timeline aren't set in stone but that's the general idea. A very good chance streaming like that is coming in the near future too, they've already got the tech.

post #17931 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Cool

Quote:
The basic idea is that they're merging Xbox and windows. One store, one version of games and apps. For PC gamers that means a way better TV based UI and a whole bunch of apps designed for a TV. For Xbox one users it likewise means an explosion of new apps and potentially much lower prices over time on everything because the reality remains that they need to compete with steam, so something has to give. I expect pretty much everything to be cross buy and cross play across Xbox/windows. There will come a point where people will hear the word Xbox and not think of a piece of hardware, but an entertainment software platform across all hardware. In that scenario the Xbox one is basically just like a surface.

The details and timeline aren't set in stone but that's the general idea. A very good chance streaming like that is coming in the near future too, they've already got the tech.
Yeah that is pretty epic.
post #17932 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418408471.648925.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	417578

Transparent tiles coming soon. This was spotted in Major Nelson's Twitter this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
post #17933 of 18001 Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 591
I'm hoping it's adjustable. Translucency is good but transparency is better. Just do it like windows phone and I will be super happy
post #17934 of 18001 Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Trailer for Unmechanical Extended a puzzle platformer coming to the Xbox One.

post #17935 of 18001 Old 12-13-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Just bought my first Xbox One game on BDROM, being Rocksmith 2014. The game with cable is available on Amazon for $40 right now (normally $80). It just recently became available for Xbox One (on 4 November). I bought it when it came out a year ago for Xbox 360 on disc (the DD was supposed to launch simultaneously with the disc but didn't show up until several weeks later and I got impatient); later I double-dipped for the DD. I was going to triple-dip for the Xbox One DD, but this is $20 less and comes with a spare cable. Also, a new 12-pack of Jimi Hendrix songs can be downloaded free for RS2014 on XB1 and PS4 until January 31st; on last gen platforms it costs $30 and will cost the same for new gen consoles after January. Since I'd have bought that pack for 360 RS, the effective price of the deal becomes $10. The cable ala carte sells for $30; if I'd planned to buy a new cable the effective price would have been $-20 .

I bought the Xbox One at launch and had never used the BD drive; I just checked to see if it works by installing the BD app and playing a few chapters of the Avatar BD. It works just fine . Since it will hopefully be the one-and-only disc that I ever buy, RS2014 can live in the drive, maintaining my goal of never getting off my ass to change a disc .
Cravit8 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 12-13-2014 at 03:36 PM.
post #17936 of 18001 Old 12-13-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Ben Heck should make a disc changer for the One just like he did for the 360.
post #17937 of 18001 Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Ben Heck should make a disc changer for the One just like he did for the 360.

Screw the Ben Heck one! This one made with LEGO NXT parts is the sh*t :

Spoiler!

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #17938 of 18001 Old 12-14-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 204
This is totally random, but I have a set of Philips Hue lightbulbs in my gaming room and was messing around with this Hue Disco app. Basically, it flashes the lights in different colors according to the music.

...Well it fits nearly perfectly to have that enabled while playing Geometry Wars.
aaronwt and Arutha_conDoin like this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #17939 of 18001 Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
This is totally random, but I have a set of Philips Hue lightbulbs in my gaming room and was messing around with this Hue Disco app. Basically, it flashes the lights in different colors according to the music.

...Well it fits nearly perfectly to have that enabled while playing Geometry Wars.
That sounds a bit over the top if you ask me.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #17940 of 18001 Old 12-14-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
That sounds a bit over the top if you ask me.

Oh, definitely. Just an idea I was messing around with on hardware I already own.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page