The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 482Likes
post #17971 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry for the back to back post, but I also forgot to mention that steam already does in home streaming and it works without lag.
barrelbelly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17972 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post
Sorry for the back to back post, but I also forgot to mention that steam already does in home streaming and it works without lag.

Yeah, but steam streaming is like VNC, it's old school. It just takes the image and transmits it, overrides your control, etc. Microsoft has much better streaming tech than that in windows - for instance, they can start a second user session in the background, so someone could still be using the PC while you're streaming a game from it, and the user on the PC would never even know it. Or they playing the same game against you, playing another game entirely, watching a movie or whatever. You can dedicate an entire GPU to a remote session or share one amongst many. They can route hardware and devices directly through it on a system level, like you can hook up a USB drive or device to your PC and access it through any of your xboxes, etc. It's all functionality that's already in windows and is way more advanced than everything else out there, so hopefully a lot of that comes along when they bring win 10 to the Xbox.

There's pretty cool possibilities there - instead of having an full on Xbox in every room you could basically have a central Xbox server and a bunch of dumb clients around the house - a phone, laptop, HTPC, another Xbox...anything that runs windows and can decode video. It could be as simple as one of those little streaming sticks like roku has and a wireless controller, or hell even just a controller alone that uses WiDi to connect to your TV. Just download a game once and instantly play it on any screen in the house.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510

Last edited by bd2003; 12-16-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #17973 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally broke down and picked up an xbox one. I could not resist the black friday deal at Target combined with the wifes team member discount. Anyway, I'm all set up and have been playing around the last few weeks, primarily with AC unity (bundled digital game) and the Netflix app.

Unfortunately, the reason for this post is that Ive been a little disappointed in system performance. Ive had a 360 for years but haven't really used it much in the last year. Maybe I am just not remembering correctly but the new Xbone doesnt seem much faster in most instances. Loading Netflix seems to take close to a minute, same thing with AC unity. Within the AC game loading seems to take quite a while too. For example going to training area then back to the map seems like a minute or so of black loading screen. This especially surprises me as this game is digital and loaded fully to the HD. There have been a few other things navigating around different apps that I remember thinking "huh, this seems slow" or for a while it would kinda flash the home screen for a second when switching from app to app.

Maybe I am just being picky or expecting too much? Does this sound normal? I know everything isnt going to be instantaneous, but I guess I was expecting more of an improvement over my old 360. My main concern is that I somehow got a bad unit? I mean everything else seems to work OK, just slower than I anticipated. Thoughts are appreciated.
post #17974 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 304
So I decided to peruse over to the Sear's video game section (yes, lol) because I heard of the "liquidation." Grabbed the controller headset adapter for $12.50 and passed on two brand new controllers for $29 each.

Not quite a true liquidation, but most things were 50% off, sometimes more.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #17975 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJOHNB20 View Post
So I finally broke down and picked up an xbox one. I could not resist the black friday deal at Target combined with the wifes team member discount. Anyway, I'm all set up and have been playing around the last few weeks, primarily with AC unity (bundled digital game) and the Netflix app.

Unfortunately, the reason for this post is that Ive been a little disappointed in system performance. Ive had a 360 for years but haven't really used it much in the last year. Maybe I am just not remembering correctly but the new Xbone doesnt seem much faster in most instances. Loading Netflix seems to take close to a minute, same thing with AC unity. Within the AC game loading seems to take quite a while too. For example going to training area then back to the map seems like a minute or so of black loading screen. This especially surprises me as this game is digital and loaded fully to the HD. There have been a few other things navigating around different apps that I remember thinking "huh, this seems slow" or for a while it would kinda flash the home screen for a second when switching from app to app.

Maybe I am just being picky or expecting too much? Does this sound normal? I know everything isnt going to be instantaneous, but I guess I was expecting more of an improvement over my old 360. My main concern is that I somehow got a bad unit? I mean everything else seems to work OK, just slower than I anticipated. Thoughts are appreciated.

It's normally that slow.

post #17976 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, but steam streaming is like VNC, it's old school. It just takes the image and transmits it, overrides your control, etc. Microsoft has much better streaming tech than that in windows - for instance, they can start a second user session in the background, so someone could still be using the PC while you're streaming a game from it, and the user on the PC would never even know it. Or they playing the same game against you, playing another game entirely, watching a movie or whatever. You can dedicate an entire GPU to a remote session or share one amongst many. They can route hardware and devices directly through it on a system level, like you can hook up a USB drive or device to your PC and access it through any of your xboxes, etc. It's all functionality that's already in windows and is way more advanced than everything else out there, so hopefully a lot of that comes along when they bring win 10 to the Xbox.

There's pretty cool possibilities there - instead of having an full on Xbox in every room you could basically have a central Xbox server and a bunch of dumb clients around the house - a phone, laptop, HTPC, another Xbox...anything that runs windows and can decode video. It could be as simple as one of those little streaming sticks like roku has and a wireless controller, or hell even just a controller alone that uses WiDi to connect to your TV. Just download a game once and instantly play it on any screen in the house.

Thanks BD2003...Excellent response regarding the concept that I was afraid of botching with a poor interpretation. Only difference in my example would be MS could use the Win8 architecture in Xbox One to enable the fully integrated setup. Only one host XB360 would be needed for the game library access for the full XB1 driven network. Voila! Full backward compatibility of sorts with whole house capabilities...game library expansion that would rival Steam on PC...and a move on into the console future with XB1. I'm basically not going to buy a console this generation unless MS gives me this capability with XB1 or Sony with PS4. I'm just tired of discarding my entire game library to add a new console. That's one of the main reasons I moved back to PC gaming and just stuck it out with Xbox 360. But I would definitely setup a Xbox One/Windows network like BD2003 described if given that kind of powerful capability (to game forward, sideways and backward based on my library and wants).

Aaronwt...hopefully that answers your question too. I just want a whole lot more than what those new consoles seem capable of doing. I get it on steroids with PC. But then have to deal with the annoying at times PC OS issues.
post #17977 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I mean it's great technology in concept, but who knows how they'll implement it in practice. It could go any number of ways, but basically anything running windows can remote control/stream anything else running windows. And seeing how everything from windows phone to the azure cloud servers will be running the same windows core....there's about a billion different ways to slice that. I'm sure the end goal is for you to buy a game once and access it from anywhere, be it locally on an Xbox or PC, over your lan from another device, or over the Internet to your device or their cloud. The cloud is the glue that binds this all together, which is why they were so eager to push an always connected platform...they just got ahead of themselves by a few years.
barrelbelly likes this.

post #17978 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Apps and games should launch pretty fast.

A couple tips to keep in mind. If you're constantly switching apps or games, I would advise that you quit the app/game before launching the next one. While the quick launch is convenient, it tends to have memory leak problems. You'll eventually have to completely cold boot the One to get it to act "new." To quit the app, at the Home screen, you hit the Menu button on the controller and choose to quit. That will actually quit the app/game rather than suspend it.

Also, if you have performance problems, remember to cold boot. That helps a lot, especially with the rash of buggy games lately. To cold boot, you have to hold down the glowing Xbox button on the CONSOLE until the system fully turns off. This is the same effect as unplugging the One from the wall and then plugging it back in. I probably cold boot the Xbox once every couple of weeks especially if I notice any performance degradation. This is Windows 8 after all. I don't even think the Xbox One core is 8.1 but still 8.0. Microsoft is actively maintaining 8.0 for people that don't want to upgrade to 8.1 for whatever reason.

Quote:

JudgeSmails, DaverJ and BIGJOHNB20 like this.
post #17979 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
This especially surprises me as this game is digital and loaded fully to the HD.

Each and every game is fully loaded to the HDD, whether it's a digital download or installed from BDROM. If you buy a game on disc it will completely load it to HDD on installation and never touch the disc again except to confirm your right to play the game. Code and media assets are just too large in many new generation titles to be streamed from disc in realtime as you play. A 360 game had to fit in the 8GB capacity of DVD 9 (in rare instances games used multiple discs); some Xbox One games are 60GB in size.

Installing a faster external USB 3.0 drive and moving your stuff on to it can speed in-game loading up a bit, though it's not guaranteed to do that for every title or for every loading screen in that title. In the game Destiny your character moves from world to world for missions and each time that you do it there's a loading screen showing your jump ship traveling through hyperspace or flying over the surface to drop down from orbit; moving the game to a much-faster-than-the-internal drive USB HDD has noticeably sped that up. It has not much sped up the initial start up screens though.

The poor start-up performance of Netflix on both 360 and Xbox One is a mystery. I have several much less powerful devices which load Netflix much quicker.
BIGJOHNB20 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #17980 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Yeah Netflix is just poorly coded, but it's an outlier. Most of the apps start reasonably quick. Next gen games have epic load times though...the HDD in the Xbox one isn't any faster than a 360 HDD of comparable size, and it's about the slowest drive they could get their hands on. Meanwhile its expected to handle loading assets into 10x the memory space of the 360, so lots of games take a really long time to load. Destiny is def one of the worst, but even stuff like cod that used to load a level in a few seconds now takes almost a minute. HDDs are faster than discs but filling 5GB of memory with a drive that reads at best 150mb/sec...it's gonna take a while.
BIGJOHNB20 likes this.

post #17981 of 17991 Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

woah! I never realized I could snap the PlayTo / Xbox Video. I'm watching the replay of the Cowboys games from my PC/WMC in the snap while playing a game.
kevin g. and mboojigga like this.
post #17982 of 17991 Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
woah! I never realized I could snap the PlayTo / Xbox Video. I'm watching the replay of the Cowboys games from my PC/WMC in the snap while playing a game.

Example of the command??

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #17983 of 17991 Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies everyone. Puts my mind at ease knowing that things are at least acting as they "should". It makes sense now that you bring up the game size and HDD limitations. I never even thought about that. Bummer that it sounds like Netflix is just known to be slow. I may try to cold boot as mentioned to see if that helps any and good to know the tip about actually closing an app vs. suspending it in the background. Then I need to get a few more games!!
post #17984 of 17991 Old 12-17-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Bummer that it sounds like Netflix is just known to be slow.

It truly doesn't make any sense. It takes it around 30 seconds to start on XB1 and 40 seconds on Xbox 360. It starts in 12 seconds on my smart TV and 15 on my TiVo Roamio. Neither can match either generation of Xbox for processing capacity.

It takes 2 seconds or less to start on Roku 3 and the Roku HDMI Stick but that's because of some intensive work done by Roku and Netflix; its start up time was about 8 seconds on Roku 3 but a completely unacceptable 40 seconds or more on the HDMI Stick. They evidently cache a lot of its code and state after the first time it starts every day and thereafter it starts almost instantly, leaving you precisely where you were then you last exited. But Netflix is the premiere Roku app; the original Roku box's sole function was to stream Netflix when it launched. Roku users have a strong expectation of performance from that "channel".

I definitely have older platforms with slower Netflix starts though. It takes well over a minute to start on my Panasonic BDP.
BIGJOHNB20 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #17985 of 17991 Old 12-17-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Example of the command??
So on your PC, laptop, or tablet, you right-click on the WTV file and select Play To Xbox. Then on the Xbox, you double-tap the Xbox Guide button on the controller and choose Snap App and snap Xbox Video. I just started it last night so I don't know the "best" sequence to do things yet.

But it's great! Football and gaming is a perfect combo. If you have your laptop next to you, you can skip commercials with a quick scan.
kevin g. likes this.
post #17986 of 17991 Old 12-17-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Can you get WTV files playing any other way?

I've tried using Windows' built in DLNA, Plex's DLNA, Play To, and straight off a thumb drive and I always get an error. It's usually

Quote:
Can't play.
Wait a few moments, then try again.
0xc1010107 (0xc00d36c3)
or

Quote:
Can't play.
The item's file format may be unsupported, the file extension may be incorrect, or the file may be corrupted.
0xc00d36c4 (0xc00d36c4)
Using Play To just freezes and it says something about a missing network resource or something like that.

These are Copy Freely WTV files. I've tried from Comcast, OTA, and muxing them myself from other sources (both MPEG2 and H264).

I tried using my cablecard tuner as a DLNA server to get live tv snapped while I play, but there were tons of dropped frames. It was unwatchable.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #17987 of 17991 Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what to tell you. I can describe my setup.

My recording PC with WMC contains a pair of Hauppauge tuners. I have a Gigabit network and all my devices (including Xbox One) are connected via Gb (except for my wireless machines which are connected by 802.11AC or 802.11G for legacy devices).

My network is a Homegroup/workgroup setup. That simplifies all my connections so all my devices see each other. The Xbox One works great with a homegroup too.

I don't know if you're running a Linux or Apple setup. Can't help in that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Can you get WTV files playing any other way?

I've tried using Windows' built in DLNA, Plex's DLNA, Play To, and straight off a thumb drive and I always get an error. It's usually

or

Using Play To just freezes and it says something about a missing network resource or something like that.

These are Copy Freely WTV files. I've tried from Comcast, OTA, and muxing them myself from other sources (both MPEG2 and H264).

I tried using my cablecard tuner as a DLNA server to get live tv snapped while I play, but there were tons of dropped frames. It was unwatchable.
post #17988 of 17991 Unread Yesterday, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Just got a Live email for early access to the beta this weekend for Halo 5.

The 5.0 is here
post #17989 of 17991 Unread Today, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Just got a Live email for early access to the beta this weekend for Halo 5.
Me too
post #17990 of 17991 Unread Today, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 104
same
post #17991 of 17991 Unread Today, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Are there any external hard drives (non-ssd) that improve load times for the One?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #17992 of 17991 Unread Today, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 79
About damn time Pandora showed up. I had a party last weekend and wanted to show off the ONE as an entertainment hub to play music. Since I don't, and won't, pay for XBOX Music I couldn't do it. My 5 year old network connected receiver had to do it sadly. And now they add Pandora, which I love, so that is great for next time. Downloaded the app and it works just fine. A little clunky and not visually appealing on the main screen that has all channels, but it worked well.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #17993 of 17991 Unread Today, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Are there any external hard drives (non-ssd) that improve load times for the One?
yes. Depends on how much you want to spend. You could buy a good raptor drive (10k rpms) and then a high quality usb3.0 enclosure and be good.

You could also look at the hybrid drives. Those seem to do well and better bargain vs pure SSD.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page