post #18001 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Don't waste your money on a raptor, you can almost get a 500GB SSD for that price.
Internal SSD with this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E362W9O/ref=pd_aw_sims_7?pi=SS115&simLd=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18002 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Honestly, with SSD, they're pretty self contained. Just connect with a cable unless you need WAF.
post #18003 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 853
I use Vantec enclosures with all of my external SSDs.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-2-5-Inc...NTEC+NST-266S3

Although I only paid $16 each for them back in May from Newegg.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-19-2014 at 02:40 PM.
post #18004 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Honestly, with SSD, they're pretty self contained. Just connect with a cable unless you need WAF.

Yep, SSDs are already enclosed as it is, no need to put a plastic box into another plastic box.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18005 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Yep, SSDs are already enclosed as it is, no need to put a plastic box into another plastic box.
Would it be needed for something like the following that is eSATA (and the Xbone requires USB)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147249

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

post #18006 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm very happy with the following external drive:
Transcend USB 3.0 External Solid State Drive

It's so small it easily hides behind the Xbox One. And when I first added it I recorded a couple second benefit load time in Titanfall and Wolfenstein. And recently I noticed the Dragon Age load screens often complete before I have time to read their contents. I guess that's not actually a benefit but the increased performance is appreciated.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #18007 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nah, regular SATA (with power) to usb.

post #18008 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post
I'm very happy with the following external drive:
Transcend USB 3.0 External Solid State Drive

It's so small it easily hides behind the Xbox One. And when I first added it I recorded a couple second benefit load time in Titanfall and Wolfenstein. And recently I noticed the Dragon Age load screens often complete before I have time to read their contents. I guess that's not actually a benefit but the increased performance is appreciated.
woW.. That thing is small. It looks much smaller than my Vantec enclosures. And it seems to get decent speeds. The read speeds seem to match the Vantec, but the write speeds are 10% slower. No idea what the actual speeds of the XBOne are over USB 3.0 though. I tested the speeds of my Vantec enclosures connected to a PC.

LED DLP
post #18009 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 834
I bought Seagate Backup Plus Fast (link is to CNET review), the fastest portable USB 3.0 powered all HDD device on the market. It's a pair of 2TB drives in a pocket-sized enclosure configured as a RAID 0. I bought it a month ago, and of course it's dropped in price $50 to $200 everywhere on sale since, including B&H Photo, from which I bought it to avoid sales tax . (I just thought about calling them about possible 30 day price protection, but being a Jewish owned business they're closed for the Sabbath, after which the sale price ends. I may give them a call about it anyway).

It's a very small device with a USB 3.0 Type B connection and nothing else on the outside (they give you a sort of splitter in case you need to connect it to a second USB Type A connection for power). I connected its normal cable to a USB port on the rear of the Xbox and laid it on top, out of the way the vent. I did some testing of games that I play currently and it trims some seconds off here and there. I believe that it substantially reduces the "travel time" from world-to-world in Destiny.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #18010 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

I stopped using RAID 0 arrays a long time ago. I used to use them in the late 90's and early 2000's when drives were much slower to get increased throughput. But now the only arrays I have setup are RAID1 or RAID5. WIth RAID 0 if anything happens to one of the drives it's toast. I remember when WIndows XP came out in 2001 and I had issues upgrading a couple of my PCs that were each using several drives in a RAID 0 configuration. Ever since then I've been leery of using a RAID 0.

LED DLP
post #18011 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WIth RAID 0 if anything happens to one of the drives it's toast.
Why the hell do people keep saying that? It's like saying, "if something happens to my un-backed-up 4TB single drive it's toast" or "if something happens to the internal drive it's toast". A RAID 0 set has to be considered a single drive with multiple HDAs. The point of RAID 0 is not redundant, uninterruptible safe storage, it's speed. In this application I don't need safe data storage since everything on the drive is backed up in the cloud.

I considered the Buffalo Drivestation DDR because it's nearly as fast for half the price (current sale prices for both make it 70% of the price for 75% as much storage), impressively achieved with a 1GB cache, but it's huge (1.8 x 5.0 x 8.0, 2.20 lbs versus 0.9 x 3.3 x 4.6, 0.65 lbs) and not USB powered; it's a desktop drive. I did not need yet another wall-wart and power cable in my system. This tiny little drive was literally "plug and play", hook up one cable and go. It's certainly not as fast as an SSD, but it's twice as fast as almost any other non-SSD for a small fraction of the price per GB of an SSD.

post #18012 of 18127 Old 12-19-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Why the hell do people keep saying that? It's like saying, "if something happens to my un-backed-up 4TB single drive it's toast" or "if something happens to the internal drive it's toast". A RAID 0 set has to be considered a single drive with multiple HDAs. The point of RAID 0 is not redundant, uninterruptible safe storage, it's speed. In this application I don't need safe data storage since everything on the drive is backed up in the cloud.

I considered the Buffalo Drivestation DDR because it's nearly as fast for half the price (current sale prices for both make it 70% of the price for 75% as much storage), impressively achieved with a 1GB cache, but it's huge (1.8 x 5.0 x 8.0, 2.20 lbs versus 0.9 x 3.3 x 4.6, 0.65 lbs) and not USB powered; it's a desktop drive. I did not need yet another wall-wart and power cable in my system. This tiny little drive was literally "plug and play", hook up one cable and go. It's certainly not as fast as an SSD, but it's twice as fast as almost any other non-SSD for a small fraction of the price per GB of an SSD.

Yeah, I have raid 0 HDDs, raid 0 SSDs, I'd raid 0 anything I can because everything is backed up several times over. The chance of anything failing is remote nowadays anyway. SSDs have no moving parts, HDDs seem to last forever too. When it comes down to it two drives are only marginally more expensive but twice as fast, how can you turn that down?

post #18013 of 18127 Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yeah, I have raid 0 HDDs, raid 0 SSDs, I'd raid 0 anything I can because everything is backed up several times over. The chance of anything failing is remote nowadays anyway. SSDs have no moving parts, HDDs seem to last forever too. When it comes down to it two drives are only marginally more expensive but twice as fast, how can you turn that down?
Because my single drives (SSDs) already put out speeds of 4Gb/s(4000Mb/s---500MB/s). I only have a GigE LAN and a platter Hard drive easily exceeds those speeds now. So those speeds can only be used with each PC internally. You get diminishing returns. As I mentioned I used RAID 0 setups a lot in the late 90s and early 2000's. Each RAID 0 configuration would have three or four drives in it. But back then there were no SSDs and platter drives were much slower. So with an SSD my WIndows machines have around a 10 second boot up time. Which is much much faster than a platter drive. Sure I could put multiple SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration but for me 10 seconds is already fast enough.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-20-2014 at 08:27 AM.
post #18014 of 18127 Old 12-20-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Because my single drives (SSDs) already put out speeds of 4Gb/s(4000Mb/s---500MB/s). I only have a GigE LAN and a platter Hard drive easily exceeds those speeds now. So those speeds can only be used with each PC internally. You get diminishing returns. As I mentioned I used RAID 0 setups a lot in the late 90s and early 2000's. Each RAID 0 configuration would have three or four drives in it. But back then there were no SSDs and platter drives were much slower. So with an SSD my WIndows machines have around a 10 second boot up time. Which is much much faster than a platter drive. Sure I could put multiple SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration but for me 10 seconds is already fast enough.

Heh, there is no such thing as fast enough.
aaronwt likes this.

post #18015 of 18127 Old 12-20-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The obvious problem with SSDs is that they're prohibitively expensive for most people. If I were to add the 4TB in my little RAID 0 drive to my Xbox it would probably cost at least 8 times as much; in off-the-shelf packaged external drives, roughly 10 times as much.

post #18016 of 18127 Old 12-20-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All righty, decided to pull the trigger on the AC Bundle (w/o the Kinect, who needs that spying camera?). So we have that to team up with the X360 500GB CoD Bundle that I bought earlier this month... What can I say? Received one heck of a Christmas Bonus from work! Decided to return to the Xbox brand! Needless to say, it's great to still be around for the existing game library of the X360, while being as much prepared for the gaming library of today, and the future with the Xbox One. I don't see any problem with that.
aaronwt, lulimet and onlysublime like this.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #18017 of 18127 Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am finally starting to lose real estate on the internal HDD of the One and am glad that there are current conversations going on regarding external HDD's.

I've used external back up devices before, but have never really understood or cared to know what makes one superior to another, so I am in the process of educating myself.

I'm looking at a Seagate Backup Plus 5tb drive for $159. It has an external power supply and I'm ok with that. What I would like some feed back on is the read/write speed of this thing. From what I have read, this drive seems kind of pokey. Does it fair better or worse than the internal HDD of the Xbox One? I'm unable find any comparative info.

I am looking for storage capacity and price as driving factors of my purchase, but do not want to end up purchasing something that is gimped from the start. I am not willing to pay the price of an SSD at this point in time. The Seagate Backup Plus Fast is a close runner up, but is a little more than I care to spend on an HDD right now.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #18018 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
I'm looking at a Seagate Backup Plus 5tb drive for $159. It has an external power supply and I'm ok with that. What I would like some feed back on is the read/write speed of this thing. From what I have read, this drive seems kind of pokey. Does it fair better or worse than the internal HDD of the Xbox One? I'm unable find any comparative info.

There's a performance graph at the bottom of this page of a CNET review of the 5TB Seagate Backup Plus Desktop which shows it performing quite well. The original Seagate Backup Plus, which you can see at the bottom of that graph, might be described as "pokey", but not the 5TB Desktop model. They measure 150.9 Write/180.45 Read (in MB/sec); a review of (the 1TB version of) the 500GB Samsung Spinpoint M8 in the Xbox shows it hitting 105.9 Write/107.82 Read. If these numbers are right, the Backup Plus Desktop is 42.5% faster writing and 67.36% faster reading than the internal drive (sequential transfers of large blocks of data).

post #18019 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
About damn time Pandora showed up. I had a party last weekend and wanted to show off the ONE as an entertainment hub to play music. Since I don't, and won't, pay for XBOX Music I couldn't do it. My 5 year old network connected receiver had to do it sadly. And now they add Pandora, which I love, so that is great for next time. Downloaded the app and it works just fine. A little clunky and not visually appealing on the main screen that has all channels, but it worked well.
I'm a fan of the Xbox Music, but I have been using it for years and with my plan I get 10 free songs a month with it so it's hard to give that up since I get a album or two every month that I wold normally buy.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18020 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
There's a performance graph at the bottom of this page of a CNET review of the 5TB Seagate Backup Plus Desktop which shows it performing quite well. The original Seagate Backup Plus, which you can see at the bottom of that graph, might be described as "pokey", but not the 5TB Desktop model. They measure 150.9 Write/180.45 Read (in MB/sec); a review of (the 1TB version of) the 500GB Samsung Spinpoint M8 in the Xbox shows it hitting 105.9 Write/107.82 Read. If these numbers are right, the Backup Plus Desktop is 42.5% faster writing and 67.36% faster reading than the internal drive (sequential transfers of large blocks of data).
That's because of the higher platter densities of these 4TB and higher drives. Even though the Seagates are spinning at only 5900 rpms, they have no problem hitting transfer speeds of 180MB/s(1440Mb/s). They can really shine with sequential data. It's the smaller blocks of data where they won't shine since the access times on a slower spinning drive aren't as fast as a 7200rpm drive.

I recently got a WD 6TB drive which spins at 5400RPMs. It has no problem hitting 150MB/s speeds.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-21-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #18021 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Thank you. That is the comparative info that I was looking for.

Below is part of a review from Storage Review that concerned me. The piece highlighted in red is what I do not understand and do not know how it applies to use with the Xbox One and if this drive would hinder performance in some way. Also, the write speeds listed below are quite different. I supposed the read speed is what I need to mostly be concerned with.

Usability/Performance
Using our Consumer Testing Platform, we measured 2MB sequential speeds. The Seagate Plus Desktop Drive 5TB clocked in at a not terribly impressive 108MB/s in the write column and 185MB/s in the read. When testing with 2MB random transfer speeds, which is a less practical use case for this product, the Seagate Backup Plus measured read and write speeds at 26MB/s and 64MB/s respectively.

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
post #18022 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Thank you. That is the comparative info that I was looking for.

Below is part of a review from Storage Review that concerned me. The piece highlighted in red is what I do not understand and do not know how it applies to use with the Xbox One and if this drive would hinder performance in some way. Also, the write speeds listed below are quite different. I supposed the read speed is what I need to mostly be concerned with.

Usability/Performance
Using our Consumer Testing Platform, we measured 2MB sequential speeds. The Seagate Plus Desktop Drive 5TB clocked in at a not terribly impressive 108MB/s in the write column and 185MB/s in the read. When testing with 2MB random transfer speeds, which is a less practical use case for this product, the Seagate Backup Plus measured read and write speeds at 26MB/s and 64MB/s respectively.
You were concerned if it would at least be as fast as the internal XBOne drive weren't you?
The XBox One comes with a 2.5inch, 5400 rpm drive. So a 3.5inch, 5900 rpm Seagate should certainly be faster.

Here is an article comparing some external drives on the XBOne. It shows some drive speeds as well as game load times.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-upgrade-guide

And here is a link to the XBOne tear down that mentions the internal hard drive used. A "Samsung Spinpoint M8 ST500LM012 500 GB 5400 RPM with 8MB Cache SATA II 3.0Gb/s hard drive."

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Teardown/19718
DaverJ likes this.

LED DLP
post #18023 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
You were concerned if it would at least be as fast as the internal XBOne drive weren't you?
The XBox One comes with a 2.5inch, 5400 rpm drive. So a 3.5inch, 5900 rpm Seagate should certainly be faster.

Here is an article comparing some external drives on the XBOne. It shows some drive speeds as well as game load times.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-upgrade-guide

And here is a link to the XBOne tear down that mentions the internal hard drive used. A "Samsung Spinpoint M8 ST500LM012 500 GB 5400 RPM with 8MB Cache SATA II 3.0Gb/s hard drive."

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+One+Teardown/19718
Yes, that was my concern. Thanks for the links. The Eurogamer article was a great sanity check.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Seagate Backup Plus 5tb drive. The price is just to sweet and the storage capacity will keep me in business for a long time to come.
post #18024 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

After looking at many of the options available, that Seagate Backup Plus Fast that michaelscott got seems pretty good too. Especially since it's powered by the USB 3.0 port. But it is more expensive for only 4TB.I was surprised that it uses two Samsung drives in it instead of Seagate drives. The 5TB seagate seems like alot of bang for the buck. If I had it over again I may have gone a different route instead of using SSDs. But I have them now so I will continue using them. My main concern at the time was low power usage and very fast access. But I did pay a steep price penalty for that. A 4TB or 5TB solution would have lasted me many years. My SSDs will probably be full by this time next year.

With my PS4 I did the sane thing and put in a 1TB 7200 rpm drive instead of getting an SSD.

LED DLP
post #18025 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

not to throw a damper on the conversation... but if there's a person that doesn't regularly visit this thread, all this talk about HDDs and SSDs will disappear into the void that is 600+ pages. It's much easier to search thread headers than thread bodies. so if you want your advice to last longer than the 5 minutes of fame, you should post in a thread that's easier to find information.

and there's already a thread dedicated to external drives (maybe even more since I don't really follow them): Best external HDD, SSHD, SSD for Xbox One
DaverJ, spid and highd3f like this.
post #18026 of 18127 Old 12-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
not to throw a damper on the conversation... but if there's a person that doesn't regularly visit this thread, all this talk about HDDs and SSDs will disappear into the void that is 600+ pages. It's much easier to search thread headers than thread bodies. so if you want your advice to last longer than the 5 minutes of fame, you should post in a thread that's easier to find information.

and there's already a thread dedicated to external drives (maybe even more since I don't really follow them): Best external HDD, SSHD, SSD for Xbox One
Fair enough. As I started out saying in my original post, I was happy to see that there was a conversation already going on and as my questions were related to the performance of an external HDD with the Xbox One, as well as others in this thread being able to share their knowledge and experiences in this regard, this was a natural place to start.
post #18027 of 18127 Old 12-22-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I bought Seagate Backup Plus Fast (link is to CNET review), the fastest portable USB 3.0 powered all HDD device on the market. It's a pair of 2TB drives in a pocket-sized enclosure configured as a RAID 0. I bought it a month ago, and of course it's dropped in price $50 to $200 everywhere on sale since, including B&H Photo, from which I bought it to avoid sales tax . (I just thought about calling them about possible 30 day price protection, but being a Jewish owned business they're closed for the Sabbath, after which the sale price ends. I may give them a call about it anyway).

It's a very small device with a USB 3.0 Type B connection and nothing else on the outside (they give you a sort of splitter in case you need to connect it to a second USB Type A connection for power). I connected its normal cable to a USB port on the rear of the Xbox and laid it on top, out of the way the vent. I did some testing of games that I play currently and it trims some seconds off here and there. I believe that it substantially reduces the "travel time" from world-to-world in Destiny.
Wow!! I picked up one of those late last night from BestBuy with a price match since Amazon and Newegg had them for $199. That thing is really fast for 2.5" drives. I was getting 250MB/s transfer rates(Which was faster than the 220MB/s listed in the specs) when I had it connected to a PC and transferred several hundred gigabytes of data. This thing would really be a nice alternative to an SSD. While it won't have the super fast access times of an SSD, for loading the games it would work very well. And with 4TB of storage it could last a long time(as long as neither of the drives go belly up). And best of all it's USB powered. So one cable to a USB 3.0 port and it was up and running. (Although I see it had another cable included that would allow you to draw power from a second USB port for USB ports that didn't provide enough power)

I guess as soon as I heard RAID 0 I never checked it further. But it seems to give alot of bang for the buck. I wish now that I had looked into it seven months ago before I went the SSD route for my XBOnes.
DaverJ likes this.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-22-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #18028 of 18127 Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wow!! I picked up one of those late last night from BestBuy with a price match since Amazon and Newegg had them for $199. That thing is really fast for 2.5" drives. I was getting 250MB/s transfer rates(Which was faster than the 220MB/s listed in the specs) when I had it connected to a PC and transferred several hundred gigabytes of data. This thing would really be a nice alternative to an SSD. While it won't have the super fast access times of an SSD, for loading the games it would work very well. And with 4TB of storage it could last a long time(as long as neither of the drives go belly up). And best of all it's USB powered. So one cable to a USB 3.0 port and it was up and running. (Although I see it had another cable included that would allow you to draw power from a second USB port for USB ports that didn't provide enough power)

I guess as soon as I heard RAID 0 I never checked it further. But it seems to give alot of bang for the buck. I wish now that I had looked into it seven months ago before I went the SSD route for my XBOnes.

Thank you for the endorsement of my choice . What application are you using yours in?

post #18029 of 18127 Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thank you for the endorsement of my choice . What application are you using yours in?
I'll be using it for local file backups, drive images, and temporary storage of my BD rips.

LED DLP
post #18030 of 18127 Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

2015 is looking amazing! I totally forgot about Star Wars Battlefront. That Endor scene looked sick!!!
aaronwt, tampabuc and mboojigga like this.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page