The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 614 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 567Likes
post #18391 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
No clue what you are referring to.
Post #18363

PSN ID: Budracin8808

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18392 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budracin8 View Post
I love how everybody just ignored the Mac rant. No offense to the ranter but I thought the lack of response was funny.

MAC users are a special breed. There's no convincing them anymore. Thankfully where I live they have been a dying breed for a year or more. Thank god for the Surface tablet. I'm actually seeing a trend where I work (university) where it's NOT cool to have an Apple product. Where Apple users are for "girls", old people, artsy fartsy type, eccentric, or just people clueless about tech. Not my words, just repeating what I hear the young ones saying. I think finally some people are seeing through the magic pixie dust marketing hype.

Apparently though highd3f has never heard of HDMI cables, and the fact that people have been connecting their PC's to their TV's for years now, or the fact that the Xbox 360 controller has worked with PC's since 2006. Nobody NEEDS to sit in front of a PC monitor at a PC desk anymore...nobody. Welcome to 2006. For me, his comments on this alone show how far behind the average MAC user is.

Jokes aside, there are some points in the post that make sense. Multi channel audio issues, graphic performance issues etc. The things gamers REALLY care about.
post #18393 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
I love how everybody just ignored the Mac rant. No offense to the ranter but I thought the lack of response was funny.

I think my eyes must have glazed over after the first few sentences. I swear I didn't remember it at all .

I've been using a big screen LCD television as my Windows PC monitor for over 8 years, sitting 6-8 feet away on a desk chair with a wireless keyboard and mouse on a laptop cart in front of me (first a 46" 1080p Mitsubishi CCFL-lit LCD and now a 60" Vizio 4K LED-lit (FALD) LCD). I started with a VGA-to-DVI-I cable connected to a laptop with a coax S/PDIF cable connected to my AVR and now have a HDMI cable running from my desktop into an AVR connected to the TV (the video card in the desktop supports bitstreaming surround sound formats over HDMI, so I get 5.1 sound from apps which support it like the Win8 Netflix app and VLC). All my other video toys are connected to the same AVR, controlled with a Harmony One: TiVo, BDP, Roku 3, WD TV Live, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3.

I developed a hatred for Apple when they wouldn't license the paradoxically named "FairPlay" DRM system to any other music file vendor or add support for the popular WMDRM to iPods; they had 90% of the music file player market and they forced iPod owners to buy all of their music from them (at the time the music IP holders insisted on DRM). They were sued over the issue in 2004 and its still festering in the courts (see this). Now of course there's their Android litigations. They pretend to be so cool and new age but they're a just a money grubbing ultra-anti-competitive corporation, the very worst of capitalism. Jobs was J. Paul Getty in Birkenstocks . Letting yourself foolishly become addicted to Apple tech means that you can only buy it from Apple who can consequently charge whatever they want. There--that's my counter rant .
kevin g. and Arutha_conDoin like this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; Yesterday at 01:03 PM.
post #18394 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
MAC users are a special breed. There's no convincing them anymore. Thankfully where I live they have been a dying breed for a year or more. Thank god for the Surface tablet. I'm actually seeing a trend where I work (university) where it's NOT cool to have an Apple product. Where Apple users are for "girls", old people, artsy fartsy type, eccentric, or just people clueless about tech. Not my words, just repeating what I hear the young ones saying. I think finally some people are seeing through the magic pixie dust marketing hype.

Apparently though highd3f has never heard of HDMI cables, and the fact that people have been connecting their PC's to their TV's for years now, or the fact that the Xbox 360 controller has worked with PC's since 2006. Nobody NEEDS to sit in front of a PC monitor at a PC desk anymore...nobody. Welcome to 2006. For me, his comments on this alone show how far behind the average MAC user is.

Jokes aside, there are some points in the post that make sense. Multi channel audio issues, graphic performance issues etc. The things gamers REALLY care about.

That's exactly what I've done. I have a HTPC hooked up to the main screen in the living room with it connected to my Xbox One through the HDMI input, great for getting rid of cable. So now I can game both on steam (I haven't noticed too much lag in single player games) and on a console (using a gamepad if I choose or a bluetooth keyboard/mouse) or watch live TV using Media Center through the Xbox one tv app. I can then also use the media player app in xbox one to watch recorded tv with commercials cut out via 3rd party software from my PC (no need to fast forward through recorded comercials). And depending on how the streaming games turn out (unsure if the Xbox one can stream games on a tablet/pc and watch tv on the main screen) if the kids want to play games during a critical football game I can have them play on my pc in the library or on my surface pro while I watch tv, both parties are happy. None of this is possible with a mac. If it was possible I would be broke because of the mark up of being "apple".
post #18395 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:
It's no secret that foreigners are not very welcome here on AVS forum as I've seen people get redirected to their respective country forums multiple times, so the lack of response did not surprise me at all. Interestingly though, no one has yet responded to any of my questions. What's all the hype around Windows 10? What does it bring to Xbox One and how does DirectX 12 improve gaming on my console? Why is streaming games to PC suddenly a hot topic?

I think it's funny how I was immediately targeted as a peasant Apple user, which is something that's super easy to spit on these days. Kids on campus and their gadgets that their parents bought them on Black Friday are not something that should be considered as a gold standard in tech. I'd prefer if posts were more relevant to the Xbox One as the topic title states.
post #18396 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
No clue what you are referring to.
Ha, I didn't reply because even that seemed like a shill user (multiple accounts baiting for replies).

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #18397 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Ha, I didn't reply because even that seemed like a shill user (multiple accounts baiting for replies).
Hmph, I just don't like foreigners.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18398 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I think my eyes must have glazed over after the first few sentences. I swear I didn't remember it at all .

I've been using a big screen LCD television as my Windows PC monitor for over 8 years, sitting 6-8 feet away on a desk chair with a wireless keyboard and mouse on a laptop cart in front of me (first a 46" 1080p Mitsubishi CCFL-lit LCD and now a 60" Vizio 4K LED-lit (FALD) LCD). I started with a VGA-to-DVI-I cable connected to a laptop with a coax S/PDIF cable connected to my AVR and now have a HDMI cable running from my desktop into an AVR connected to the TV (the video card in the desktop supports bitstreaming surround sound formats over HDMI, so I get 5.1 sound from apps which support it like the Win8 Netflix app and VLC). All my other video toys are connected to the same AVR, controlled with a Harmony One: TiVo, BDP, Roku 3, WD TV Live, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3.

I developed a hatred for Apple when they wouldn't license the paradoxically named "FairPlay" DRM system to any other music file vendor or add support for the popular WMDRM to iPods; they had 90% of the music file player market and they forced iPod owners to buy all of their music from them (at the time the music IP holders insisted on DRM). They were sued over the issue in 2004 and its still festering in the courts (see this). Now of course there's their Android litigations. They pretend to be so cool and new age but they're a just a money grubbing ultra-anti-competitive corporation, the very worst of capitalism. Jobs was J. Paul Getty in Birkenstocks . Letting yourself foolishly become addicted to Apple tech means that you can only buy it from Apple who can consequently charge whatever they want. There--that's my counter rant .
I have this love/hate relationship with apple. I hate how closed down some of their stuff is, but they are frequently the innovator and at least on the mobile side iOS feels so much more polished than android. I've tried to like android so many times, but I still don't feel like mobile hardware is powerful enough to overcome the inefficiencies in android. So I still use an iPhone, but of course it's jailbroken. I'm hoping Microsoft can finally make Windows phone into something worth using, and one day hopefully we'll be able to buy a phone and install android or windows on it as we please.

post #18399 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 881
I was doing the HTPC thing back in 2001 with my Toshiba 57" RP CRT set. I had a wireless IR keyboard that I also used to move the cursor. I also used the HTPC to scale my DVDs to HD resolutions. As well as using the HTPC to record my HD shows. Between 2001 and 2004 I typically recorded 40GB to 60GB of HD shows each week.

But then in May 2004 the first HD TiVo was released on DirecTV so I gradually stopped using the HTPC for HD recordings. But then I stopped using HTPCs around 2006 and have no desire to go back to using one. The release of the Xbox 360 in 2005 put the final nail in my HTPC use since I stopped playing games on any PCs and still have no desire to go back.
highd3f likes this.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #18400 of 18410 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I'm hoping Microsoft can finally make Windows phone into something worth using, and one day hopefully we'll be able to buy a phone and install android or windows on it as we please.
what would it take to make windows phone "worth using"? feature-wise and hardware-wise, they're there. app-wise... that's out of their control. only marketshare can help that.
post #18401 of 18410 Old Today, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
what would it take to make windows phone "worth using"? feature-wise and hardware-wise, they're there. app-wise... that's out of their control. only marketshare can help that.
In thinking about, being able to demo the phone for a while, a long while, with a credit to download similar paid apps.
Smartphones are deeply integrated into lives now, just cold turkey switching is not like buying a different car brand.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #18402 of 18410 Old Today, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It's just the apps really. There's too much stuff I rely on that isn't available on windows phone. I think the universal apps will help a lot though. It never made sense for devs to make apps for an OS that was late to the party (win phone) or half baked (win 8). But if they build the apps for an OS people actually like and then it just filters down to the phones by default, I can see them catching up over time. I don't think it's entirely out of their control, they def can do a much better job curating the app store and keeping the garbage out instead of trying to pad their numbers.

post #18403 of 18410 Old Today, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:

I really really really want to try it. My girlfriend has a Lumia and likes it.

I've had HTC Android phones dating back to the G1 and I really like them. So I was very excited to see the One M8 being released as a Windows variant. My provider hasn't really carried any other higher end Windows phones since the HD7.

But Tmobile doesnt carry them in store, so I won't be able to test how the bluetooth on it works and whether or not I'm happy with playback from my cablecard at home. It also seems my hopes of a dual boot, or at least the ability to switch back to Android if I'm unhappy, aren't coming to fruition.

Add to that Microsoft's recent history of abandoning generations of their phones (like the original Windows Phone 7 models not being upgraded to 8 or then 8.1).

What would definitely get me on board? The ability to install and run APKs. That rumor comes and goes.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #18404 of 18410 Old Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Going on a Rant for the Netflix app. Went to go use it the other night to see what was on and I couldn't even get to some of the film genres I like (Sci Fi/ Fantasy, Horror). Due to all the kids shows they have watching I get "Because you like XXX, YYYY" we recommend and then it shows a crap ton of kids shows/movies. There are like 3-4 of those and when I scroll drown I don't even make it through all the main film genres..

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18405 of 18410 Old Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 425
A few new trailers for games coming out to Xbox One.

Badlands

Gunsport

post #18406 of 18410 Old Today, 08:26 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Going on a Rant for the Netflix app. Went to go use it the other night to see what was on and I couldn't even get to some of the film genres I like (Sci Fi/ Fantasy, Horror). Due to all the kids shows they have watching I get "Because you like XXX, YYYY" we recommend and then it shows a crap ton of kids shows/movies. There are like 3-4 of those and when I scroll drown I don't even make it through all the main film genres..
I had that problem to, but set up individual profiles on the netflix home page for all my family members (I believe you can have up to 5 profiles per membership). So when you start up netflix on the Xbox it will prompt you for which profile. That way you can have your preferences specific to you and the kids shows specific to them. Also on the kid profiles you can select them as kids and they will show only age appropriate programming with nice little pictures for the shows as oppose to written titles.
post #18407 of 18410 Unread Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_us View Post
I had that problem to, but set up individual profiles on the netflix home page for all my family members (I believe you can have up to 5 profiles per membership). So when you start up netflix on the Xbox it will prompt you for which profile. That way you can have your preferences specific to you and the kids shows specific to them. Also on the kid profiles you can select them as kids and they will show only age appropriate programming with nice little pictures for the shows as oppose to written titles.
That's what I did, but if my daughter forgets which she usually does. It seems like all she needs to do is watch one or two of her shows or movies and the Netflix goes overboard with recommending Nick and kid movies.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18408 of 18410 Unread Today, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
That's what I did, but if my daughter forgets which she usually does. It seems like all she needs to do is watch one or two of her shows or movies and the Netflix goes overboard with recommending Nick and kid movies.

You can edit your "recently watched" list at Netflix's site to remove all of the kiddie stuff; perhaps that will change it's recommendations for your profile.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #18409 of 18410 Unread Today, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
What the hell
post #18410 of 18410 Unread Today, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member