The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 616 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 815Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Mnat0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
You're saying current bd drives could support 4k bd discs? I was under the impression new drives would be necessary.

+1
Mnat0712 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,226
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
You're saying current bd drives could support 4k bd discs? I was under the impression new drives would be necessary.
They're using BDXL, so there's lots of drives out there that can read the discs, but I don't believe the consoles currently have BDXL support. On the other hand I don't think they've outright confirmed that they aren't...so maybe?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Mnat0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What about the x12? 50% game Quilty improvement?
Mnat0712 is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Jury is still out on whether this is a fix for controller disconnection. Some are reporting that controllers are actually bricked after the update.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I noticed that the controller has it's own firmware that can be updated under the devices/accessories area of the settings app.
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,859
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Jury is still out on whether this is a fix for controller disconnection. Some are reporting that controllers are actually bricked after the update.
It didn't fix my disconnects completely but connecting is 2 secs as advertised.
kevin g. and Mnat0712 like this.
metalsaber is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Mnat0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yes connect is much faster which it should have always been
Mnat0712 is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rage Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still no 1080i support though...
Rage Guy is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post
Still no 1080i support though...
who needs 1080i on a gaming console?
Mnat0712 likes this.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
It didn't fix my disconnects completely but connecting is 2 secs as advertised.
Same.
DaverJ is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DaverJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,112
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
who needs 1080i on a gaming console?
On my older rear-projection TV (pre-1080p), 1080i looks better/sharper than 720p.

It was disappointing going from the 360 @ 1080i to the One @ 720p - it seemed to be a downgrade in resolution. I gave that old RPTV away to a friend, who ironically put it in his basement and uses it only for his Xbox One.
DaverJ is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rage Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
who needs 1080i on a gaming console?
More people than you would think...

I still have a Sony KP-57WS520 which is a rear projection CRT HDTV. It can do both 1080i and 720p. Hands down, 1080i is much better looking on this TV.

I still use this tv as it has virtually zero input lag being CRT based.

FYI - The PS4 supports 1080i, as does my Xbox 360... Are those not gaming consoles?
Rage Guy is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
On my older rear-projection TV (pre-1080p), 1080i looks better/sharper than 720p.

It was disappointing going from the 360 @ 1080i to the One @ 720p - it seemed to be a downgrade in resolution. I gave that old RPTV away to a friend, who ironically put it in his basement and uses it only for his Xbox One.
I think the reason was that motion/blur in games would be better with progressive signals. Also, the Xbox One only works with relatively recent TVs (HDMI capable), not older ones like direct view HD CRTs which relied on component video and were interlaced by nature.

Another thing is for those who game on the PC, I doubt they ever used interlaced signals either. And since these consoles are basically gaming PCs specialized to work with modern HDTVs, I think they thought 1080i wouldn't matter.

The PS4 does offer more options for HDMI output (and it offers analog connections too) but I think the Xbox One decided to take a more purpose-built design in terms of A/V connections and resolutions.

What I'd like to see is a bitstream (direct) option for BD/DVD movie playback.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Guy View Post
More people than you would think...

I still have a Sony KP-57WS520 which is a rear projection CRT HDTV. It can do both 1080i and 720p. Hands down, 1080i is much better looking on this TV.

I still use this tv as it has virtually zero input lag being CRT based.

FYI - The PS4 supports 1080i, as does my Xbox 360... Are those not gaming consoles?
They are gaming consoles, but my point is playing games at 1080i is probably not the best way to go. 720p or 1080p makes more sense to me, at least with more recent TVs.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,497
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Jury is still out on whether this is a fix for controller disconnection. Some are reporting that controllers are actually bricked after the update.
I will confirm it didn't fix my disconnects entirely, but it I would say I get them a lot less now. I have yet to try with my Astro A50s since my son swiped them and put them on 360 and I have been to lazy to move them back.
kevin g. likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
milkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
dammit lol now I have to sit and update 5 controllers lol arrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info

Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Samsung UN55F6300AF/Xbox 360
milkk is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Why does the Xbox one have upgrades for controller firmware but the ps4 does not?
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
milkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Why does the Xbox one have upgrades for controller firmware but the ps4 does not?
Because Sony is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol or maybe the issues get fixed on the game on playstation?

Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Samsung UN55F6300AF/Xbox 360

Last edited by milkk; 02-06-2015 at 07:23 PM. Reason: update
milkk is offline  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Artman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Jury is still out on whether this is a fix for controller disconnection. Some are reporting that controllers are actually bricked after the update.


Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
It didn't fix my disconnects completely but connecting is 2 secs as advertised.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Same.

Crazy because now when I use my Astros A50's on the one it disconnects and reconnects throughout my gaming session and it's extremely annoying. I really like my Astros and don't want to get something else because Xbox can't get it right.. It gives me no issues on the ps4.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Artman22 is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
chmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webster, Mn
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Anyone else having worse controller disconnect issues after the update? It was intermittent for me before, but this morning it is horrible. I'm about 8 feet away from the One with a clear line of sight.
chmorgan is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Anyone else having worse controller disconnect issues after the update? It was intermittent for me before, but this morning it is horrible. I'm about 8 feet away from the One with a clear line of sight.
Interesting...I played a few hours on Destiny last night for the 1st time WITHOUT any disconnects AFTER the update. Don't know if this will help you, but I hard rebooted immediately after the update just for kicks.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Anyone else having worse controller disconnect issues after the update? It was intermittent for me before, but this morning it is horrible. I'm about 8 feet away from the One with a clear line of sight.

I haven't had much chance to test...downloaded the update yesterday and played some COD in the afternoon, then Zombies last night. Only had two or three quick disconnects (vs. my normal 8-9) and only one of them drooped my communications completely...(again). I have not updated the controllers yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Crazy because now when I use my Astros A50's on the one it disconnects and reconnects throughout my gaming session and it's extremely annoying. I really like my Astros and don't want to get something else because Xbox can't get it right.. It gives me no issues on the ps4.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's funny you mention that. I don't have any aftermarket headsets, but after the update I was playing Zombies, (alone, and with no headset) and I had zero disconnects. But I didn't play as long as I normally do. I wonder if the headset/communications is partially to blame.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
chmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webster, Mn
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Interesting...I played a few hours on Destiny last night for the 1st time WITHOUT any disconnects AFTER the update. Don't know if this will help you, but I hard rebooted immediately after the update just for kicks.
I'm gonna give that a shot and see if it helps. I tend to forget about the hard reboot. Thanks.
chmorgan is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
chmorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Webster, Mn
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22 View Post
Crazy because now when I use my Astros A50's on the one it disconnects and reconnects throughout my gaming session and it's extremely annoying. I really like my Astros and don't want to get something else because Xbox can't get it right.. It gives me no issues on the ps4.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you updated your controller yet? I believe you need to have the headset connected when you run an update. Maybe that will help?
chmorgan is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Mnat0712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Anyone else having worse controller disconnect issues after the update? It was intermittent for me before, but this morning it is horrible. I'm about 8 feet away from the One with a clear line of sight.

I have never had that problem
Mnat0712 is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Member
 
gregcss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For what it's worth I've had the X1 since 11/2014 and have not had any controller disconnect issues. I sit about 7-8 feet away. yay me.
gregcss is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 8,188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 503
It seems like anyone with controller disconnects have some interference issues within their homes or areas. They are wireless radio waves which fall under the same rules as Wifi and microwaves cement walls etc.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
It seems like anyone with controller disconnects have some interference issues within their homes or areas. They are wireless radio waves which fall under the same rules as Wifi and microwaves cement walls etc.

While this may be the case...(I don't really believe that it is), I can't really fathom that there was not a contingency for this in the development of the One. I mean, this isn't 2004 for Christ sakes.

This is an IT company, the largest IT company. How can there not be someone that says: "hey guys, we're using 'x' band for this new wireless spec that we are developing...do we foresee any possibility of interference?" Or maybe: "Guys...the 360 was a huge success, let's build on that, I want everyone who helped develop the 360 platform involved on this new project...I want what works, what hasn't worked, what could work, and I want it to perform better. Then I demand testing, testing, and more testing...prior to releasing this out to our customers. Any questions?"

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mboojigga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas
Posts: 8,188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
While this may be the case...(I don't really believe that it is), I can't really fathom that there was not a contingency for this in the development of the One. I mean, this isn't 2004 for Christ sakes.

This is an IT company, the largest IT company. How can there not be someone that says: "hey guys, we're using 'x' band for this new wireless spec that we are developing...do we foresee any possibility of interference?" Or maybe: "Guys...the 360 was a huge success, let's build on that, I want everyone who helped develop the 360 platform involved on this new project...I want what works, what hasn't worked, what could work, and I want it to perform better. Then I demand testing, testing, and more testing...prior to releasing this out to our customers. Any questions?"
You do realize there is no way to block out wireless interference completely right? Walls alone affect wifi strength. That's what disclaimers are for that no one ever reads about potential issues that can pop up. MS testing environment is no different than DLink, Netgear or Sony when it comes to wireless. 1000s of different devices and setups in homes and you expect them to just have the answer that no company has? My controllers have never disconnected except when the battery died. Yet my Apple TV will pause the stream when the microwave is in use.

The 5.0 is here
mboojigga is offline  
Old 02-07-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
You do realize there is no way to block out wireless interference completely right? Walls alone affect wifi strength. That's what disclaimers are for that no one ever reads about potential issues that can pop up. MS testing environment is no different than DLink, Netgear or Sony when it comes to wireless. 1000s of different devices and setups in homes and you expect them to just have the answer that no company has? My controllers have never disconnected except when the battery died. Yet my Apple TV will pause the stream when the microwave is in use.
Yeah, I get that. I can also see that they can't build for every contingency. And I realize that some others have not seen the issue. But if you are plagued with it, as I am, and others in the 120-page suport thread on Xbox support, you may view it a bit differently.

I have excellent WIFI signal in my playing area. I do not have a metal rack to interfere with my signal. I have done as Microsoft suggests and shut down wireless devices while I am playing. (a ridiculous solution, by the way...but I did it for testing.) I have done the new update, and today updated my controllers. 15 minutes after doing so, I lost signal in the middle of COD Zombies.

There are a ton of WIFI devices all over. I do not "expect" them to know, and test them all. I do expect this project to have been "better" than the 360...by far. And it is not. It is marginally better.
I stayed with MS because of the friendships I have formed with this platform, and I genuinely believed they would capitalize on the success and tech that went in to the 360

Updates are frequent, and they seem to want to listen to their customers. But overall, the experience is underwhelming. TV doesn't work with my area provider's boxes. I could care less bout the graphics debate. Chat/communication with friends is almost always broken. But, for me, the worst issue is the controller disconnects.

There is a school of thought, right now, that I do subscribe to, however. Since we have seen the development team farms out different devices in the build, (BR drives, WIFI cards, HDD's) some have suggested that a certain manufacturer may have a problem with the separate WIFI card that manages the controller. Say, for instance, D-Link made the WIFI controller card in my machine, and under a different batch number...maybe Netgear made yours, only those of us with the D-Link built cards are having trouble. Could explain why it's not so widespread.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40


Last edited by kevin g.; 02-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.
kevin g. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off