The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 623 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 641Likes
post #18661 of 18671 Old Today, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECS01 View Post
Hell ... All they'd have to do for me at this point is come up with a quality XB360 emulator and I'm in (would be nice to be able to keep controllers connected too)... Lack of backward compatibility still irritates me..
Do you mean an 360 emulator for the Xbox One? The Xbox One doesn't have near enough capability to emulate any 360 game. The One would have to emulate the 360 hardware and the software in real time and being that the 360 was a proprietary Power PC based chip it would make it even harder for the One. Remasters are a different matter such as Halo the MC collection but playing original 360 DVD based games on the One just isn't possible without them integrating the original chipset and software from the 360. I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure it would require A LOT more graphical and CPU headroom then the One currently provides. Not to mention you are most likely in the minority on this so I doubt Microsoft would come out with a revised One.

Last edited by viper186; Today at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18662 of 18671 Old Today, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post
Do you mean an 360 emulator for the Xbox One? The Xbox One doesn't have near enough capability to emulate any 360 game. The One would have to emulate the 360 hardware and the software in real time and being that the 360 was a proprietary Power PC based chip it would make it even harder for the One. Remasters are a different matter such as Halo the MC collection but playing original 360 DVD based games on the One just isn't possible without them integrating the original chipset and software from the 360. I could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure it would require A LOT more graphical and CPU headroom then the One currently provides. Not to mention you are most likely in the minority on this so I doubt Microsoft would come out with a revised One.

The majority of 360 games had PC versions, it would make a lot more sense to touch up and port over those. Or to stream them like Sony is. Emulating the 360 is unlikely but probably not impossible though, the 360 architecture isn't as exotic as the PS3's. They could prob pull off something decent but not perfect like the Xbox emulation on 360.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #18663 of 18671 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 928
The problem with an emulator is incompatible instruction sets. There's no chance of emulating the 360's triple-core PowerPC on an x86 machine of the Xbox One's speed. Porting the PC versions would obviously be much more straightforward.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #18664 of 18671 Old Today, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post

The majority of 360 games had PC versions, it would make a lot more sense to touch up and port over those. Or to stream them like Sony is. Emulating the 360 is unlikely but probably not impossible though, the 360 architecture isn't as exotic as the PS3's. They could prob pull off something decent but not perfect like the Xbox emulation on 360.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
The problem with an emulator is incompatible instruction sets. There's no chance of emulating the 360's triple-core PowerPC on an x86 machine of the Xbox One's speed. Porting the PC versions would obviously be much more straightforward.

I agree but there are many 360 games that didn't make it to PC so I doubt that would satisfy the majority who want backwards compatibility. In any case I think it would be a waste of time and resources when you can now buy a brand new 360 for $150-$200.
post #18665 of 18671 Old Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I think the fact that Microsoft is even bothering with a 360 OS Preview Program just reiterates that the 360 will be the only way to play 360 games.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #18666 of 18671 Old Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Back on the 360 they emulated a more sophisticated single core x86 chip on a less sophisticated triple core PPC chip, not to mention the GPU architecture was different too. 360 to Xbox one is more straightforward than what they pulled off relatively well back then. But anyway if they were going to they would have already, everyone should just give up hope.

post #18667 of 18671 Old Today, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
WMC is a legacy app that hasn't been actively developed for several years now, it's dead. Best case scenario is some sort of modern app replacement.
Yeah, that's a known already. Just hoping they can at least include the newest version like they did with Windows 8, paid or otherwise.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #18668 of 18671 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Elite Dangerous announced for Xbox One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwmbvRJkzM
Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of this game. Only got a little time to read about it last night. It sounds pretty cool.
post #18669 of 18671 Unread Today, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Here is the Announcement Thread on Frontier's website.
Quote:
Hi everyone,

When asked, I’ve said we’d be mad not to consider bringing Elite: Dangerous to console. Well, that madness is about to end! Today we’re announcing that we will be bringing the full Elite: Dangerous to Xbox One this year. Xbox players have supported Frontier well over the years, and thanks to games like Zoo Tycoon and ScreamRide we know the hardware well, so Xbox One is a natural fit for Elite: Dangerous’ console debut.

Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One will be the complete and authentic Elite: Dangerous experience. It will not be "dumbed down". We’ll be working with an all-new audience, but that doesn’t mean a change in direction for the game, and nor does it mean slowing development on the PC version. The second of our updates – Wings – is being beta tested by some of you right now, and the third will be coming in the spring, free of charge. We’ll be talking more about the third major update – Powerplay – soon!

More players across more formats means we can devote more resources to development. The more players we have, the better the game will become. Elite: Dangerous is a living game and it will keep growing on all our formats so long as people are excited to play it.

I’m also pleased to announce PC, Mac and Xbox One players will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state. That means even more players contributing to the wars, power struggles and Community Goals across the galaxy.

If you want to keep up to date on our Xbox One release you can sign up to be kept informed at http://www.elitedangerous.com/xboxone .

With the new Mac and Xbox One players joining us we’ll see new faces on the forums and we hope you’ll make them feel welcome. The Elite: Dangerous community has always been strong, and I’m sure it’ll be even stronger the more it grows.

Thanks for playing, and Right On, Commanders.

David
So if I am reading that right it sounds like all formats (PC, X1, and Apple) will play in the same galaxy. If that is the case that is going to be incredible.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18670 of 18671 Unread Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of this game. Only got a little time to read about it last night. It sounds pretty cool.
I have been loving the game on the PC. I'll be double dipping for the X1 since my son wants to play and I am not letting on to play my account on PC

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18671 of 18671 Unread Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Here is the Announcement Thread on Frontier's website.

So if I am reading that right it sounds like all formats (PC, X1, and Apple) will play in the same galaxy. If that is the case that is going to be incredible.

Ya, cross platform is the best. I wonder if it's cross buy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page