The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 630 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 729Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18871 of 18875 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Spartan will have support for Chrome extensions (http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...native-support)

Honestly, I wish they would support Firefox extensions as I prefer FF. And some of my extensions do not have the exact versions for Chrome (though there are similar ones).

I've read that before and it gives me hope, but until it's confirmed I'm trying not to get my hopes up. And I'm a little concerned that a little too much of chrome itself is going to be needed to support chrome extensions.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18872 of 18875 Old Today, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kevin g.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,604
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Spartan will have support for Chrome extensions (http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...native-support)

Honestly, I wish they would support Firefox extensions as I prefer FF. And some of my extensions do not have the exact versions for Chrome (though there are similar ones).
I too am a FF user...too bad it has become ridiculously unstable and buggy with the last build. Not sure if I will update to 37, or drop it all together. Flash bogs it down to he point that it almost becomes unusable. Then it fires up and runs fine..for a while. Can we just dump Flash, finally...please? HTML 5's time has come...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

kevin g. is online now  
post #18873 of 18875 Old Today, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
I too am a FF user...too bad it has become ridiculously unstable and buggy with the last build. Not sure if I will update to 37, or drop it all together. Flash bogs it down to he point that it almost becomes unusable. Then it fires up and runs fine..for a while. Can we just dump Flash, finally...please? HTML 5's time has come...
Yeah, I tried to give it a shot again after reading that you can now run android apps in chrome. Enough is enough, I'm not launching two extra OSes on top of windows, I just want a browser. For as bloated as chrome might be though, firefox still feels too janky to use. One feature I don't think I can live without is the "create application shortcut" feature...chrome does it right by completely stripping all the UI out and makes the web apps feel like "real" apps. IE still keeps all the browser UI which defeats the purpose IMO, and firefox can't do it at all. Hopefully spartan gets that feature. I tried that easylist for IE feature someone mentioned a few pages back and that works really, really well...can't believe I didn't know about that!

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #18874 of 18875 Old Today, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,331
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
One feature I don't think I can live without is the "create application shortcut" feature...chrome does it right by completely stripping all the UI out and makes the web apps feel like "real" apps. IE still keeps all the browser UI which defeats the purpose IMO, and firefox can't do it at all. Hopefully spartan gets that feature.
For what it's worth, there's a developer feature for Windows 10 to have hosted web apps. The web developer / company basically submits their URL to the Windows Store, and it appears to the user like a native app. In fact, they can even take advantage of native OS features like Cortana, notifications, the camera app, calendar, etc. just by including it in their JavaScript code on their site.. and because it's just a URL that gets submitted, basically that means that the site can be updated all the time without re-submitting it to the Store.

If it catches on, it could be huge for some of the areas Windows (and more importantly Windows Phone) has been lacking... bank apps (which are already generally web wrappers, but now could use the camera for check deposits), airlines, and other such services.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is online now  
post #18875 of 18875 Old Today, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
For what it's worth, there's a developer feature for Windows 10 to have hosted web apps. The web developer / company basically submits their URL to the Windows Store, and it appears to the user like a native app. In fact, they can even take advantage of native OS features like Cortana, notifications, the camera app, calendar, etc. just by including it in their JavaScript code on their site.. and because it's just a URL that gets submitted, basically that means that the site can be updated all the time without re-submitting it to the Store.

If it catches on, it could be huge for some of the areas Windows (and more importantly Windows Phone) has been lacking... bank apps (which are already generally web wrappers, but now could use the camera for check deposits), airlines, and other such services.
Yeah, I'm hoping that's a stopgap though. I mean I know most lightweight windows apps are written in HTML5/silverlight/JS etc, which basically makes them a glorified webapp anyway. Not to say that those languages arent capable of good apps, I'd just prefer they put a little more thought and care into it optimizing the UI rather than just wrapping the site with a few native APIs and calling it a day. On Win 8 I rely pretty heavily on the chrome apps, but on 10 I've replaced a lot of them with windows apps now that they run in a window and they're way better. And I'm still a little concerned that MS hasnt learned their lesson at how a store full of garbage apps makes the whole platform look bad. Between that and the possible android apps and chrome extensions they're giving people a hell of a lot of reasons not to directly code for windows. Especially if these things are going to run on an xbox, it's going to be pretty awful if they dont put some TLC in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off