The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 658 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 954Likes

post #19711 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 748
official ISOs for Windows 10 are out! go upgrade!!!
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19712 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Link?? All I can see are the "Media Creation Tool" "FAQ's"...and "Minimum Requirements" pages.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #19713 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 281
@barrelbelly @bd2003
I know we have mentioned Xbox games streaming to PC. A few of us were thinking PC to Xbox... Well looks like it is in the works!!!
http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/29/90...ng-to-xbox-one

If this does come to pass, this could interesting for steam machines. Personally I like the steam machines. Way more power under the hood then either console, but still would rather make my own.
barrelbelly and dmarqueset like this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19714 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Quote:

Here we go again...

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #19715 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
I upgraded four PCs this morning to Windows 10 Pro/Home. Two Desktops and two laptops. They all took 30 minutes or less. Only one was upgraded with the auto upgrade from Windows update. The other three used the 64 bit download tool from this page.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10
kevin g. likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19716 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
@barrelbelly @bd2003
I know we have mentioned Xbox games streaming to PC. A few of us were thinking PC to Xbox... Well looks like it is in the works!!!

If this does come to pass, this could interesting for steam machines. Personally I like the steam machines. Way more power under the hood then either console, but still would rather make my own.
Great news. And doesn't surprise me one bit. IMO Microsoft is starting to click on all cylinders now. It seems like now they are just doing things naturally. Like navigating their boat into the future along a River of their own creation (Windows). Very smart...as evidenced from the article you linked.

"[Gamers] want to play games on the device that they want to play on. They want to play with their friends and they progress whenever they sit down," explains Spencer. "Because of that, the roadmap and our focus on what's going on, Windows is incredibly strong."

That is how system integration is supposed to work. And it never made any sense to me that Windows and Xbox didn't have the very best sys integration on record. This entire Windows 10 integration with XB1 and backward compatibility, now makes XB1 my must have console for this year and beyond. XB1 will be my Living Room Win 10 game extender. While I can continuously upgrade my overall experiences with my Windows 10 PC. On the M/KB side...I'd really like to see MS and Spencer do a little out of the box thinking about hybridized Win 10/XB controller integration. For example: Take the gaming Keypad (Logitech G13 Advanced) device design all the way to bright instead of just shoe horning in KB/M functionality. Develop a combination XB1-Keypad Controller that combines the best elements of both platforms.
post #19717 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
@barrelbelly @bd2003

Ya, it was only a matter of time. I don't think I'd buy an xbox for this purpose though, there's lots of ways to stream games from your PC that are less expensive.

And steam machines are DOA anyway. They took way too long to bring them out. If they brought them out last year as planned they might have built some momentum, but at this point it's as likely to succeed as linux on netbooks.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19718 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

What are the ways to stream PC games?
post #19719 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Ya, it was only a matter of time. I don't think I'd buy an xbox for this purpose though, there's lots of ways to stream games from your PC that are less expensive.

And steam machines are DOA anyway. They took way too long to bring them out. If they brought them out last year as planned they might have built some momentum, but at this point it's as likely to succeed as linux on netbooks.
I never bought my Xbox One with this intention in mind. Hell it's a good bonus with it when it comes out. I'll be checking it out that is for sure. Going to try and upgrade my GPU to a 980TI by Christmas time. Then next year try and weasel a new 1440 Monitor out of my wife

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19720 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
What are the ways to stream PC games?
If you have a PC with Steam on it, you can install Steam on a second machine, log in to a second machine and stream across the network. Both Steam clients have to be logged in using the same account.
post #19721 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Installed Win 10 onto a new SSD this morning on my PC with all other Drives disconnected. It took 15 minutes total via USB stick. Connected my X1 right away and tried out Destiny. Played a mission on my level 8 Titan and didn't notice any slow down at all. Should be interesting to see how this works more

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19722 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

Using one HTPC to play my Xbox One games and PC games would be great! This might be the consolidation that I am looking for.
post #19723 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I installed Win10 and so far, okay, though it did frighten me for a moment there before I realized that I could set the taskbar up like it was before. Shockingly, 8gadgetpack actually works after re-installing, which it initiated. I'd have missed my CPU monitor gadget.

Haven't tried any Xbox-y stuff with it; I'm a single guy with a single desktop PC connected to the same 60" 4K panel as my consoles so I don't have an actual need for it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #19724 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarqueset View Post
If you have a PC with Steam on it, you can install Steam on a second machine, log in to a second machine and stream across the network. Both Steam clients have to be logged in using the same account.
Why would you stream from PC to PC? Why not just redownload the game to the second PC? Is this second PC too weak to render the game?

I was assuming bd was referring to a set-top type of setup like Roku or something. PC to PC doesn't seem to make sense (unless it's the aforementioned reason that the second PC is too weak). I would just install the game to multiple PCs and when I'm on any given PC, I would play there. Why stream from another PC?
post #19725 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Why would you stream from PC to PC? Why not just redownload the game to the second PC? Is this second PC too weak to render the game?

I was assuming bd was referring to a set-top type of setup like Roku or something. PC to PC doesn't seem to make sense (unless it's the aforementioned reason that the second PC is too weak). I would just install the game to multiple PCs and when I'm on any given PC, I would play there. Why stream from another PC?
That is exactly what I do. I allowed my wife with her computer to access my Steam account so she can download and play the games she wants on her computer while I am logged into Steam playing my games. The only limitation you can't play the same game. Just a 4 digit code to access it.

The 5.0 is here
post #19726 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're streaming the game from your wife's computer? Why not run the game natively on your PC?
post #19727 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
So you're streaming the game from your wife's computer? Why not run the game natively on your PC?
Lol no I am sharing my account so she can download and play games on her computer. Like what you said. No point streaming unless the computer can't play the game natively. Steam has a share feature.
post #19728 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that makes sense: to share an account rather than streaming.

Streaming from PC to PC seems really weird unless the secondary PC is too weak to render the game natively.
post #19729 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

Streaming from PC to PC seems really weird unless the secondary PC is too weak to render the game natively.
I could see a financial reason to do PC to PC streaming. Get one beefy gaming rig. That is what I plan to do. All my old PCs are going under the TVs in my house now and I will be able to stream Xbox one games, tv (from the Xbox app) Xbox 360 games, steam games all with existing hardware thanks to windows 10. No more having to rent or buy set top devices or multiple expensive gaming rigs or consoles. Let the Xbox one be the media hub it was intended to be and have the benefit of having a gaming "server" PC to house movies as well. I fortunately have a pretty good router so hopefully it can handle the traffic. Would love to have the Xbox one freed up when game streaming though.
post #19730 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The Official Xbox One thread...

I just streamed my Xbox one over a wireless AC extender and it was perfect! No slowdown at all, I'll definitely be getting a lot of use out of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSN ID: javant86
Xbox Live: PikturePerfekt
post #19731 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Quote:

In my case, the gaming PC is set up on the biggest TV in the house. When I have family and friends over, that is where everyone watches TV. So I go into another room with my laptop and stream from my machine. I've streamed from my gaming machine (i7-4770k, 16 GB memory, GTX780) to a much less powerful laptop (i3, 8 GB memory, intel graphics) and everything works well.

The other streaming option is for nVidia cards only. You would be able to stream from machines that have an nVidia card to the Shield console or tablet.

This streaming news is making it difficult for me to make a decision, build a Windows 10 HTPC or purchase a Shield.
post #19732 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, using a cheap low power PC. One of those compute sticks or $99 mini PCs would make a solid media/game streaming PC while still being much cheaper than an Xbox.

Other than PC to PC off of the top of my head, there's the steam link, NVIDIA shield (in many forms), some box from NZXT, I think razer has one too. I believe there's even a way to stream to the fireTV.

An Xbox one is overkill for streaming of any kind, I think it's be a great feature to have if you already have an Xbox but I wouldn't buy one specifically for it.

post #19733 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently I was over thinking the streaming feature for X1. I was hoping that if the wife is in the living room watching one of the shows she likes and I do not that I could come to my office and stream a game. Well that does not seem to be the case. Once the TV app is launched and I start streaming from the PC it shuts it down and launches the game. Wife is not happy with that, so as much I like the idea of streaming looks like I will not use it as much since if I can't play an X1 game while someone else is watching TV I may as well play PC games on my PC

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19734 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

OMG. I'm having flashbacks to the Windows 8.1 upgrade experience.

I have like 16 machines to upgrade. So the Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade required me to download the 8.1 update 16 times.

And now for the 7/8.1 to 10 upgrade, I have to apparently do so again??? I'm reading online that there's no way to convert the old key to the Windows 10 key without first upgrading. And after that, then I will have a Windows 10 key to allow for a clean install from an ISO/USB.
post #19735 of 19736 Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OMG. I'm having flashbacks to the Windows 8.1 upgrade experience.

I have like 16 machines to upgrade. So the Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade required me to download the 8.1 update 16 times.

And now for the 7/8.1 to 10 upgrade, I have to apparently do so again??? I'm reading online that there's no way to convert the old key to the Windows 10 key without first upgrading. And after that, then I will have a Windows 10 key to allow for a clean install from an ISO/USB.
Yeah, you need to upgrade to get an activated 10. Although you can upgrade via a USB stick or a local folder, so you don't have to download it 16 times. Just copy it to USB, copy it to all the PCs and run them in place. After that you can either refresh or reset or wipe the drive or whatever, you won't ever have or need a key but it'll still activate again as long as you upgraded an activated 7/8 to 10 on that machine. In my case I completely wiped the drive and skipped when it asked for a key and it activated automatically with no problem. I guess they're saving the hardware IDs somewhere in the cloud.

post #19736 of 19736 Old Today, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, you need to upgrade to get an activated 10. Although you can upgrade via a USB stick or a local folder, so you don't have to download it 16 times. Just copy it to USB, copy it to all the PCs and run them in place. After that you can either refresh or reset or wipe the drive or whatever, you won't ever have or need a key but it'll still activate again as long as you upgraded an activated 7/8 to 10 on that machine. In my case I completely wiped the drive and skipped when it asked for a key and it activated automatically with no problem. I guess they're saving the hardware IDs somewhere in the cloud.
I did a test setup like that and it didn't work. I had an 8.1 system. Ran the installer which didn't offer me an option for a clean installation or format. Rebooted and finished installation. Sitting at Windows 10 desktop. Pretty good. Then proceeded to run the installer from a cold boot to get a clean installation, chose the option to format the drive, proceeded with installation. Then reached the stage where it asked for a Windows 10 key. Wouldn't let me proceed with the installation without a key even though there's a skip option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page