The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 659 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 959Likes
post #19741 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Yeah I'm happy with 8.1 and am in no serious rush to upgrade my own systems though I am upgrading some of them to play around with 10. 8.1 is really mature and stable. And I have no issues with the UI. With touch, it's great. And it has plenty of keyboard shortcuts and nicer admin tools than 7. And one my wmc system I will forever keep 8.1 unto they stop updating the channel guide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19742 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Ugh. Hate the autocorrection on the phone. I look back at the messages and can't believe the choices it made.
post #19743 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Yeah I'm happy with 8.1 and am in no serious rush to upgrade my own systems though I am upgrading some of them to play around with 10. 8.1 is really mature and stable. And I have no issues with the UI. With touch, it's great. And it has plenty of keyboard shortcuts and nicer admin tools than 7. And one my wmc system I will forever keep 8.1 unto they stop updating the channel guide data.

I'm wavering because there are a few store apps I like. And I'm going to need it for dx12, so I might as well just get used to it now. But I still think it's really foolish they way they're rushing to upgrade people to an OS that's not fully baked. You only get one chance to make a first impression and this isn't a particularly good one.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19744 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I think everyone knew it was coming in hot. People were shocked that they were even saying summer 2015.

But they made it in time for back to school PC sales cycle.

There's a lot about Windows 10 I don't like yet. The lack of features in many apps is painful. You think they look at the previous apps and then say that they'll keep what works and what doesn't work. But it seems the programming teams start over and don't communicate with each other. The mail app in Windows 8.1 was far from perfect but it had useful features that the mail app in 10 doesn't have. Heck, you can't even turn off conversations in the Windows 10 mail app.

They should've made a more concerted effort to itemize features from previous versions and then improve or add more features rather than built from the ground up everytime. The teams should all get together and talk about the good features and incorporate them all together. Like there were some great ideas in Windows Phone. And some great ideas in Windows 8.1. And some of the great ideas in WP didn't cross over to the Windows side and vice versa.

But yeah, I fully expect the apps to be fleshed out in the upcoming months. I can stick to 8.1 on my primary machine (Surface Pro 2). Put 10 on my Surface 3 and primary desktop. 8.1 on my WMC machine.

As for family members and friends, I'll go according to each person's wishes. At work, their needs are simple so all machines are going to 10 except for maybe the mission critical machines will stay to 8.1 until 10 is more fleshed out.
post #19745 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Stripping out the Dolby Digital and MPEG2 decoders makes it worthless for me. I'll be happy with Windows 7 and Linux for the foreseeable future.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #19746 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think everyone knew it was coming in hot. People were shocked that they were even saying summer 2015.

But they made it in time for back to school PC sales cycle.

There's a lot about Windows 10 I don't like yet. The lack of features in many apps is painful. You think they look at the previous apps and then say that they'll keep what works and what doesn't work. But it seems the programming teams start over and don't communicate with each other. The mail app in Windows 8.1 was far from perfect but it had useful features that the mail app in 10 doesn't have. Heck, you can't even turn off conversations in the Windows 10 mail app.

They should've made a more concerted effort to itemize features from previous versions and then improve or add more features rather than built from the ground up everytime. The teams should all get together and talk about the good features and incorporate them all together. Like there were some great ideas in Windows Phone. And some great ideas in Windows 8.1. And some of the great ideas in WP didn't cross over to the Windows side and vice versa.

But yeah, I fully expect the apps to be fleshed out in the upcoming months. I can stick to 8.1 on my primary machine (Surface Pro 2). Put 10 on my Surface 3 and primary desktop. 8.1 on my WMC machine.

As for family members and friends, I'll go according to each person's wishes. At work, their needs are simple so all machines are going to 10 except for maybe the mission critical machines will stay to 8.1 until 10 is more fleshed out.

Yeah, the mail app is the worst of the bunch. But I personally think the most egregious error is the sorry state of the store. They just released the final SDK and started accepting submissions to the store yesterday. The store should have been filled with updated windows 10 versions of major apps instead of the junk it's filled with now...which still has the tablet focused win 8.1 UI. They're just reaffirming the impression that the store is a wasteland of crappy tablet apps. That's the one thing they needed to get right above everything else, but they put the cart before the horse by rushing it out. There's no "real" Xbox games in the store. You can't even connect a controller wirelessly. Think about how many people are going to click that store or that Xbox app and see nothing worthwhile, and then never click it again. The best I can say about win 10 is that the modern/metro stuff is now less offensive on the desktop. None of it is any good though.

post #19747 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Thus far it works fine for me but then my use of Windows is pretty simple; I run web browsers, Zune app for music (I may switch to the Groove Music app; the old Xbox Music app was horrendous), some music programs like Guitar Pro and occasionally view a video clip with Zune, WMP or VLC. Everything's working including the little app that let me run some Win7 gadgets so I'm happy so far. It's nice to have the Start button back and the Start screen gone.

Cortana is a cute feature and its voice recognition fairly impressive. Only time will tell whether I end up using it much. It'd be nice if it'd respond to information queries vocally as well as with a list of links like "Hey Google" on an Android tablet or phone.

I tried the Xbox game streaming for sh*ts and giggles and it seemed to work fine for displaying the dashboard, except that of course I don't have a controller for Windows nor any actual need for one .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #19748 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
You can keep both. When you upgrade to win 10 you aren't giving up your win8.1 key. It's making some kind of hardware profile that is stored on their side and that profile will say that you have an authenticate system and so it's kind of "no more key needed". If you want to go back to 8.1 you can. And dual boot is still allowed.
I'm assuming it's a system restore point to go back to 8.1?

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19749 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I'm assuming it's a system restore point to go back to 8.1?
There's an option to revert to 8.1 in the settings.

But I used a traditional backup from a third-party program.
post #19750 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Wasteland 2 coming October 13th to the Xbox One.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/was.../1100-6429323/
post #19751 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tropica 5 coming next year to the Xbox One.

http://news.yahoo.com/following-pc-p...131000380.html
post #19752 of 19764 Old 07-30-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

ZombiU officially renamed Zombi for a release for Xbox one.

post #19753 of 19764 Old 07-31-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked: 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
ZombiU officially renamed Zombi for a release for Xbox one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIX5PNOyzTM
How much will it cost?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19754 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
TBH I'm kind of tempted to roll back to 8.1 for now.This build still feels like a beta and there's quite a few regressions in functionality. And it's just plain ugly IMO, some really baffling design choices.
I feel the same way. I put it on my Surface Pro 3 and tablet mode just isn't up to Windows 8.1. Can't believe I said that. There are so many things I hate about 10 on my tablet yet on my office Desktop Machine I do like 10 better then 8.1. Seems like they totally botched the tablet experience with 10. I'm thinking of rolling back to 8.1. I don't think in my 30 years of computing have I ever rolled back to a previous OS....so that says something.
post #19755 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Once the apps have more features implemented (they feel like WIP) and the bugs ironed out, I think Windows 10 will be great. I'm actually liking it more and more. I love the new Weather app!

And some Modern apps completely benefit from Windows 10 like Notepad Classic. It was great in 8.1 but I mostly use Notepad on a desktop and so I defaulted to the traditional one when working on the desktop. But Notepad Classic can now float in a window so I get all the Modern benefits (autocorrection, word count, touchable buttons, etc.) but the windowed aspect.

But my main machines will still be 8.1 for now. And all the other machines will be Windows 10.

Surprisingly, it took me forever on how to set up Cortana in Windows 10. Considering how familiar I was with Cortana was already, that surprised me. So I feel like a lot of people will not set up Cortana properly and think it's just a glorified search bar.
post #19756 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 283
What I find interesting is Cortana and Groove Music are coming to Android. Looks like MS integrating into Android as much as possible. I also think Microsoft Edge is pretty dang fast. Just wished I could set it up like Chrome, but so far no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	android.PNG
Views:	12
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	863018  

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19757 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Xbox Music err... Groove Music, was already on Android and iOS. But apparently implementation on those platforms weren't good. Hopefully the new version is better.

Groove Music software design is a little better than the 8.1 version. But still has most of the weird behavior. For me, the biggest thing about music services is song discovery. Finding and listening to songs that you wouldn't normally know.

And Groove/Xbox Music isn't particularly great about music discovery. Like one of the big UI irritations for me is if you select the Top Songs list. You can hit the play button to start playing that list. Then you can hit the back or forward button to skip to the next track. But if you see a song further down the list, you can't just select it. You can but once you do, you are playing JUST that song. No longer will it allow you to skip forward or backward (the choices are grayed out). And once the song is done, no more music is playing because you've changed it from the Top Songs playlist to JUST playing that one song. At that point, you are relegated to choosing songs individually. You can tap on another song in the playlist you're interested in. But once that song ends, you have to select another song to play. This is such a pain if you're doing work and not wanting to hand-hold song selection. The only way to get back onto the Top Songs playlist and have autoplay is to start the playlist from the beginning and skipping down to the last song that you tried in the list. And Groove Music didn't fix this behavior of Xbox Music!!!

So the only solution is the most archaic way to play songs: hit the play button for the Top songs, hear a bad song, hit the skip button. Hit 5 bad songs in a row, hit skip 5 times. Keep hitting skip every time a bad song comes up. If I see a song I really want to hear in the top songs list while I'm in the middle of the playlist, I should be able to go straight to that song. And then when the song is done, it should just advance to the next song in the playlist.

If they fixed this one behavior, it would solve pretty so much for me.

Sure, you can add the songs to your collection and just play your collection but that's not the ideal way for song discovery. And the radio isn't really radio to me. The "radio" requires you to choose an artist and then it picks songs similar to that artist. Not exactly a great way for music discovery because my likes are diverse. I don't want ONLY music similar to Sam Smith. Just give me random popular songs so that I at least have a jumping point toward discovery. It does have a cool feature were I'm listening to a song and I can create a station with music similar to that song. But I need to discover songs before i can use these radio/collection features.

That aside, Groove Music has been fantastic to me in terms of content and service. No other service can give me the same features for $31/year. Download any song I want for fully offline playback? Done. Have my collection anywhere and on any machine? Done. Get the ability to play any song I want instead of random radio (like Pandora)? Done. Stream any of my music from OneDrive? Done.

As for Edge, I really like the speed. There are some web sites that kind of choke in Edge. Some forums, it seems the typing is really slow. And because it now has to render ads and everything, it's slower than when they finally do allow ad blockers as extensions. That's when the speed of Edge should shine when you're not rendering ads any more. But Edge still seems to have memory problems like Chrome. My PC was churning away like mad. I check the task manager and Edge had over a GB used up. But the taskbar didn't even show Edge was running.

Last edited by onlysublime; Yesterday at 02:21 PM.
post #19758 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
I need to give "Groove Music" a try; as I stated, the old "Xbox Music" Win8 app was horrible. It was functionally horrendous, slow as molasses and with stuff like a (very) limited displayed track name length, so if I was listening to classical music the movements of a piece might be truncated to "Sonata in F Minor, K336" without being able to see which movement. Playing with it a little right now it seems improved, but it's still a little pokey; I'll stick to Zune for the time being on the PC.

The old Xbox Music Android app wasn't beautiful, but it was functional; I tend to bounce around between it, Google Play Music and Amazon Music, looking for what I want to play (Xbox Music kept me from playing multiple things in my library on my tablet for some reason; I could usually play them with Google, even though I don't subscribe ). Strangely, I haven't played any music on my phone or tablet for the past few days so I haven't tried it yet.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #19759 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
What I find interesting is Cortana and Groove Music are coming to Android. Looks like MS integrating into Android as much as possible. I also think Microsoft Edge is pretty dang fast. Just wished I could set it up like Chrome, but so far no luck.
MS makes money off of Androids sold in general so knowing that it really isn't a surprise.

Quote:
Microsoft makes much more money from Android than Windows Phone. Every time you buy an Android smartphone or tablet, Microsoft is likely receiving $5 to $15. They likely make at least $2 billion per year from Android.
http://www.howtogeek.com/183766/why-...d-device-sold/

The 5.0 is here
post #19760 of 19764 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Yeah, the mail app is the worst of the bunch. But I personally think the most egregious error is the sorry state of the store. They just released the final SDK and started accepting submissions to the store yesterday. The store should have been filled with updated windows 10 versions of major apps instead of the junk it's filled with now...which still has the tablet focused win 8.1 UI. They're just reaffirming the impression that the store is a wasteland of crappy tablet apps. That's the one thing they needed to get right above everything else, but they put the cart before the horse by rushing it out. There's no "real" Xbox games in the store. You can't even connect a controller wirelessly. Think about how many people are going to click that store or that Xbox app and see nothing worthwhile, and then never click it again. The best I can say about win 10 is that the modern/metro stuff is now less offensive on the desktop. None of it is any good though.
For the past month I have had Windows 10 I have been using my Xbox 360 controllers wirelessly. They have already announced around E3 that the wireless adaptor is coming this Fall for the Xbox One controllers.
onlysublime likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #19761 of 19764 Unread Yesterday, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
For the past month I have had Windows 10 I have been using my Xbox 360 controllers wirelessly. They have already announced around E3 that the wireless adaptor is coming this Fall for the Xbox One controllers.
Yeah, I'm talking about the xbox one controllers. I mean how can they take this long to release a wireless adapter? I've been able to use my ds4s on it from the first beta build! It's the kind of thing that should have been in there on day one, like so many other things.

post #19762 of 19764 Unread Yesterday, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Once the apps have more features implemented (they feel like WIP) and the bugs ironed out, I think Windows 10 will be great. I'm actually liking it more and more. I love the new Weather app!

And some Modern apps completely benefit from Windows 10 like Notepad Classic. It was great in 8.1 but I mostly use Notepad on a desktop and so I defaulted to the traditional one when working on the desktop. But Notepad Classic can now float in a window so I get all the Modern benefits (autocorrection, word count, touchable buttons, etc.) but the windowed aspect.

But my main machines will still be 8.1 for now. And all the other machines will be Windows 10.

Surprisingly, it took me forever on how to set up Cortana in Windows 10. Considering how familiar I was with Cortana was already, that surprised me. So I feel like a lot of people will not set up Cortana properly and think it's just a glorified search bar.
Yeah, I think it'll be great too about a year from now or so. I still like the direction their headed, I'm just not crazy about the order of execution. I think they're better off underpromising and overdelivering instead of making a bad first impression. But I guess it doesn't matter in the end if they're pushing everyone onto it.

I'm mostly looking forward to what third parties can do with the new app framework and store. I want to install everything from the store because it makes for a much cleaner and reliable system, but there's still no ETA on when win32 apps are hitting the store. (another thing that should have been there on day one!)

post #19763 of 19764 Unread Today, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

A year??? You crazy?

There's a major bug update already coming in August titled Service Release 1. And there's a major features update coming in October (especially looking forward to the integrated messaging though a preview version is coming in a few weeks).
post #19764 of 19764 Unread Today, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

OMG. finally got to really use the Xbox app for Windows 10. WOW!!!!

A huge improvement over previous versions of the app.

The media remote feature worked amazing on touchscreen. I was controlling Netflix, my Homeworx HW150PVR OTA box, and my TV.

OneGuide worked great. I was in Netflix. Hit the OneGuide button in the app and chose a TV show to watch. It caused the TV app to load and the Homework box loaded the appropriate channel.

Playing shared video clips was much better than previously. The video played back faster and it didn't start with the typical OneDrive blurred video until it buffered enough to be sharp. It was sharp right away. I was hopping from video to video because it was so fast and easy.

Now you can create parties in Windows 10 with Xbox One gamers!

And the app is much faster to load. The old versions of the Xbox app took forever to log into the account. This one was impressively fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page