The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 659 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 956Likes

post #19741 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Yeah I'm happy with 8.1 and am in no serious rush to upgrade my own systems though I am upgrading some of them to play around with 10. 8.1 is really mature and stable. And I have no issues with the UI. With touch, it's great. And it has plenty of keyboard shortcuts and nicer admin tools than 7. And one my wmc system I will forever keep 8.1 unto they stop updating the channel guide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19742 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Ugh. Hate the autocorrection on the phone. I look back at the messages and can't believe the choices it made.
post #19743 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Yeah I'm happy with 8.1 and am in no serious rush to upgrade my own systems though I am upgrading some of them to play around with 10. 8.1 is really mature and stable. And I have no issues with the UI. With touch, it's great. And it has plenty of keyboard shortcuts and nicer admin tools than 7. And one my wmc system I will forever keep 8.1 unto they stop updating the channel guide data.

I'm wavering because there are a few store apps I like. And I'm going to need it for dx12, so I might as well just get used to it now. But I still think it's really foolish they way they're rushing to upgrade people to an OS that's not fully baked. You only get one chance to make a first impression and this isn't a particularly good one.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19744 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I think everyone knew it was coming in hot. People were shocked that they were even saying summer 2015.

But they made it in time for back to school PC sales cycle.

There's a lot about Windows 10 I don't like yet. The lack of features in many apps is painful. You think they look at the previous apps and then say that they'll keep what works and what doesn't work. But it seems the programming teams start over and don't communicate with each other. The mail app in Windows 8.1 was far from perfect but it had useful features that the mail app in 10 doesn't have. Heck, you can't even turn off conversations in the Windows 10 mail app.

They should've made a more concerted effort to itemize features from previous versions and then improve or add more features rather than built from the ground up everytime. The teams should all get together and talk about the good features and incorporate them all together. Like there were some great ideas in Windows Phone. And some great ideas in Windows 8.1. And some of the great ideas in WP didn't cross over to the Windows side and vice versa.

But yeah, I fully expect the apps to be fleshed out in the upcoming months. I can stick to 8.1 on my primary machine (Surface Pro 2). Put 10 on my Surface 3 and primary desktop. 8.1 on my WMC machine.

As for family members and friends, I'll go according to each person's wishes. At work, their needs are simple so all machines are going to 10 except for maybe the mission critical machines will stay to 8.1 until 10 is more fleshed out.
post #19745 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Stripping out the Dolby Digital and MPEG2 decoders makes it worthless for me. I'll be happy with Windows 7 and Linux for the foreseeable future.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #19746 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
I think everyone knew it was coming in hot. People were shocked that they were even saying summer 2015.

But they made it in time for back to school PC sales cycle.

There's a lot about Windows 10 I don't like yet. The lack of features in many apps is painful. You think they look at the previous apps and then say that they'll keep what works and what doesn't work. But it seems the programming teams start over and don't communicate with each other. The mail app in Windows 8.1 was far from perfect but it had useful features that the mail app in 10 doesn't have. Heck, you can't even turn off conversations in the Windows 10 mail app.

They should've made a more concerted effort to itemize features from previous versions and then improve or add more features rather than built from the ground up everytime. The teams should all get together and talk about the good features and incorporate them all together. Like there were some great ideas in Windows Phone. And some great ideas in Windows 8.1. And some of the great ideas in WP didn't cross over to the Windows side and vice versa.

But yeah, I fully expect the apps to be fleshed out in the upcoming months. I can stick to 8.1 on my primary machine (Surface Pro 2). Put 10 on my Surface 3 and primary desktop. 8.1 on my WMC machine.

As for family members and friends, I'll go according to each person's wishes. At work, their needs are simple so all machines are going to 10 except for maybe the mission critical machines will stay to 8.1 until 10 is more fleshed out.

Yeah, the mail app is the worst of the bunch. But I personally think the most egregious error is the sorry state of the store. They just released the final SDK and started accepting submissions to the store yesterday. The store should have been filled with updated windows 10 versions of major apps instead of the junk it's filled with now...which still has the tablet focused win 8.1 UI. They're just reaffirming the impression that the store is a wasteland of crappy tablet apps. That's the one thing they needed to get right above everything else, but they put the cart before the horse by rushing it out. There's no "real" Xbox games in the store. You can't even connect a controller wirelessly. Think about how many people are going to click that store or that Xbox app and see nothing worthwhile, and then never click it again. The best I can say about win 10 is that the modern/metro stuff is now less offensive on the desktop. None of it is any good though.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19747 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Thus far it works fine for me but then my use of Windows is pretty simple; I run web browsers, Zune app for music (I may switch to the Groove Music app; the old Xbox Music app was horrendous), some music programs like Guitar Pro and occasionally view a video clip with Zune, WMP or VLC. Everything's working including the little app that let me run some Win7 gadgets so I'm happy so far. It's nice to have the Start button back and the Start screen gone.

Cortana is a cute feature and its voice recognition fairly impressive. Only time will tell whether I end up using it much. It'd be nice if it'd respond to information queries vocally as well as with a list of links like "Hey Google" on an Android tablet or phone.

I tried the Xbox game streaming for sh*ts and giggles and it seemed to work fine for displaying the dashboard, except that of course I don't have a controller for Windows nor any actual need for one .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #19748 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
You can keep both. When you upgrade to win 10 you aren't giving up your win8.1 key. It's making some kind of hardware profile that is stored on their side and that profile will say that you have an authenticate system and so it's kind of "no more key needed". If you want to go back to 8.1 you can. And dual boot is still allowed.
I'm assuming it's a system restore point to go back to 8.1?

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19749 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I'm assuming it's a system restore point to go back to 8.1?
There's an option to revert to 8.1 in the settings.

But I used a traditional backup from a third-party program.
post #19750 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Wasteland 2 coming October 13th to the Xbox One.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/was.../1100-6429323/
post #19751 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tropica 5 coming next year to the Xbox One.

http://news.yahoo.com/following-pc-p...131000380.html
post #19752 of 19753 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

ZombiU officially renamed Zombi for a release for Xbox one.

post #19753 of 19753 Old Today, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
ZombiU officially renamed Zombi for a release for Xbox one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIX5PNOyzTM
How much will it cost?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition