The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 661 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 970Likes

post #19801 of 19818 Old Today, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
The addition of a DVR is making me seriously look at getting one.

Really!?!?
Nayan likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19802 of 19818 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Mike Ybarra posted an in-development image of the new dashboard. Seems to be slightly improved from the original one they demoed, but in my opinion still too gamer-centric for something that'll be in the living room used by a bunch of non-gamers. People need to somehow figure out that they need to press RT to jump to pins, or scroll through somewhere between two and six categories that they don't care about at all to get to media/entertainment stuff.
I've been using my XBOnes since launch and I didn't know that. But I also don't use my controller to navigate. I use Kinect. The few times I have used my controller to try and navigate it seemed more like a PITA compared to using Kinect.

LED DLP
post #19803 of 19818 Old Today, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Sorry, to clarify, the RT thing is how it's supposed to be for the new dash. On the current one, users can just scroll left, and it's easy to explain to them because they can see the header that says pins.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #19804 of 19818 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 310
DVR should have been there from launch. And not just ATSC, it should have drivers for cablecard tuners too.

WMC was a failure because it was too far ahead of its time. Everything was too expensive to be practical - PCs, extenders, tuners, storage space.

Now you can buy a 3TB drive for under $100 - that's hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of programming. More homes are wired with ethernet, and wifi, powerline, and moca have all come a long way.

I think they could partner with the cable companies to sell more Xbox Ones. Have some kind of internet and tv bundle that includes a subsidized Xbox One, a cablecard tuner, an Xbox Live sub, and the Xbox bandwidth not counting against a cap.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #19805 of 19818 Old Today, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
I edited my post to bitch about it some more, but yeah... I think the home screen does show the most recent items in the top two positions there, but I'm sure the 3 ads to the right will remain gaming focused the majority of the time just like they currently are on the Xbox One.

The biggest thing though is that pins is its own pivot point on the current dashboard, now they're de-emphasizing that to the point that you could look at the homescreen and not even know it existed. But yeah, there's a lot of cruft that the majority of people who currently use my console don't want to scroll though (and even myself, I couldn't care less about the 'community' tab or 'game hubs'.)

All of that being said, at least this dashboard will be fast. I'm just not looking forward to having to use a separate device for streaming like it appears Microsoft might end up forcing me to.

I don't think you can say exactly how it'll work yet. It's still a vast improvement over what they showed before. If they're serious about apps and non gaming stuff on Xbox they'll obviously have to do better than this. I'm kind of surprised how divergent the design is from windows 10 though. Even the original dash was closer in design to that. This bares a lot more resemblance to the Xbox app on windows 10, so it's kind of weird how the shell and the app are trading places like that.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19806 of 19818 Old Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
DVR should have been there from launch. And not just ATSC, it should have drivers for cablecard tuners too.

WMC was a failure because it was too far ahead of its time. Everything was too expensive to be practical - PCs, extenders, tuners, storage space.

Now you can buy a 3TB drive for under $100 - that's hundreds and hundreds of hours worth of programming. More homes are wired with ethernet, and wifi, powerline, and moca have all come a long way.

I think they could partner with the cable companies to sell more Xbox Ones. Have some kind of internet and tv bundle that includes a subsidized Xbox One, a cablecard tuner, an Xbox Live sub, and the Xbox bandwidth not counting against a cap.

Heh, that's like the exact opposite direction I want them to move. That's like the bundle to end all bundles. Cable and recording shows that air at a specific time is so 20th century anyway, I'd rather they moved towards breaking the stranglehold comcast and friends has on everything rather than teaming up with them.

post #19807 of 19818 Old Today, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Really!?!?
Don't worry, my PS4 isn't going anywhere, this will be an addition to my console collection .

You know you're getting old when the candles on your birthday cake cost more than the cake itself. Crap I say
post #19808 of 19818 Old Today, 02:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

The cable card market for retail devices is so miniscule, I can see why MS wouldn't even bother with it.

LED DLP
post #19809 of 19818 Old Today, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
It can tune a non-DVR cable box, can't it? I know that it can work the tuner on my TiVo, though IIRC it couldn't access recordings. I assume that if the HDMI input doesn't have copy protection flags asserted its DVR function could record it (a huge if for the output of a discrete CableCARD tuner).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #19810 of 19818 Old Today, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It can tune a non-DVR cable box, can't it? I know that it can work the tuner on my TiVo, though IIRC it couldn't access recordings. I assume that if the HDMI input doesn't have copy protection flags asserted its DVR function could record it (a huge if for the output of a discrete CableCARD tuner).

That's actually much harder to implement because they'd have to realtime encode the stream. I doubt they'd be able to pull that off without suspending the game DVR feature, and even then only for one channel. With ATSC or cablecard they can just save the compressed streams.

post #19811 of 19818 Old Today, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
That's actually much harder to implement because they'd have to realtime encode the stream. I doubt they'd be able to pull that off without suspending the game DVR feature, and even then only for one channel. With ATSC or cablecard they can just save the compressed streams.

I didn't realize that it could use USB tuners with compressed stream output.

post #19812 of 19818 Old Today, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
I didn't realize that it could use USB tuners with compressed stream output.

Ya, that's how most if not all digital tuners work. The tuners only job is to grab the already compressed mpeg2/ac3 streams from the air. It's basically just downloading a file, not recording or encoding anything.

post #19813 of 19818 Old Today, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
The biggest thing though is that pins is its own pivot point on the current dashboard, now they're de-emphasizing that to the point that you could look at the homescreen and not even know it existed. But yeah, there's a lot of cruft that the majority of people who currently use my console don't want to scroll though (and even myself, I couldn't care less about the 'community' tab or 'game hubs'.)
They said that it's one tap to scroll to the pins. it's at the bottom of the first column. I worried that I would have to scroll to the bottom to get to them. But they said it's one tap so I guess you're basically scrolling to the bottom of the list instantly.
post #19814 of 19818 Old Today, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I hate to be that guy but I'm really confused on this streaming feature. How does this work exactly. Can someone please explain it. I read through the thread but it kept going on and off track and I ended up more confused.

Always destroying exergy!
post #19815 of 19818 Old Today, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Ya, that's how most if not all digital tuners work. The tuners only job is to grab the already compressed mpeg2/ac3 streams from the air. It's basically just downloading a file, not recording or encoding anything.
I'm aware. However their initial support for TV tuners was external tuners connected via HDMI. Their support for USB OTA tuners seems limited to their own Xbox One Digital TV Tuner. With relatively little effort they should be able to support something like this Happauge WinTV-DCR-3250 with USB output, though I assume that they'd have to implement DTCP over USB which might incur licensing fees.

post #19816 of 19818 Old Today, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
They said that it's one tap to scroll to the pins. it's at the bottom of the first column. I worried that I would have to scroll to the bottom to get to them. But they said it's one tap so I guess you're basically scrolling to the bottom of the list instantly.
According to what they've said so far, only if the user knows to press RT though. And if you have a Xbox One Media Remote you're SOL too.

Who knows, I'm hoping for more improvements between now and the preview release, and then even more from then to official release.

Microsoft's UI teams haven't exactly been inspiring confidence in me though lately, so we'll see.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; Today at 04:35 PM.
post #19817 of 19818 Old Today, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm aware. However their initial support for TV tuners was external tuners connected via HDMI. Their support for USB OTA tuners seems limited to their own Xbox One Digital TV Tuner. With relatively little effort they should be able to support something like this Happauge WinTV-DCR-3250 with USB output, though I assume that they'd have to implement DTCP over USB which might incur licensing fees.

As long as they remain the exclusive supplier of tuners for the Xbox they can just fold whatever fees there are into the price. Either that or they go hands off and let third parties deal with it.

post #19818 of 19818 Old Today, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The DVR is a great feature. I can't wait for this one.

PSN: Artman22
Xbox live: Artman22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page