The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 666 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1039Likes

post #19951 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
RAID doesn't help much with seek times and that's the primary bottleneck for game loads. 3.5 drives have much better random performance so I'm sure the desktop is faster in the ways that matter, but the plus fast is going the best you can do with bus powered.

RAID 0 means never having to wait for seeks through fragmented files (or when switching between multiple files), seeking to the next piece on the next drive while reading or writing to the other; you should always be doing transfer I/O (though there are patterns which can screw this up). RAID 0 is all about performance with nothing to enhance data integrity or reliability, which is the primary focus of other forms of RAID. Because of this people tend to say "with RAID 0 if one drive fails you lose all of your data"; true, but if you have a single drive of the same capacity if that single drive fails you lose all of your data. A RAID 0 stripe set must be thought of as being a single drive composed of multiple independent HDAs.

You can see some test results by one blogger who compared it to the internal drive and a 7200 RPM drive here. There were two tests in which it was slower than both, but usually it was at least as fast as the 7200 RPM drive and sometimes significantly faster.

Long ago, at the dawn of RAID tech (when that "Inexpensive Disk" part was of great interest) I worked on storage performance at a no longer existent company called Digital Equipment Corp (assimilated by Compaq which was then devoured by HP).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19952 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
RAID 0 means never having to wait for seeks through fragmented files (or when switching between multiple files), seeking to the next piece on the next drive while reading or writing to the other; you should always be doing transfer I/O (though there are patterns which can screw this up). RAID 0 is all about performance with nothing to enhance data integrity or reliability, which is the primary focus of other forms of RAID. Because of this people tend to say "with RAID 0 if one drive fails you lose all of your data"; true, but if you have a single drive of the same capacity if that single drive fails you lose all of your data. A RAID 0 stripe set must be thought of as being a single drive composed of multiple independent HDAs.

You can see some test results by one blogger who compared it to the internal drive and a 7200 RPM drive here. There were two tests in which it was slower than both, but usually it was at least as fast as the 7200 RPM drive and sometimes significantly faster.

Long ago, at the dawn of RAID tech (when that "Inexpensive Disk" part was of great interest) I worked on storage performance at a no longer existent company called Digital Equipment Corp (assimilated by Compaq which was then devoured by HP).

Interesting. I've used RAID 0 here or there over the years on my PC, I've never found it to improve loads that much over a single 7200rpm drive. I guess a single 7200rpm wasn't enough of a bottleneck that adding a second didn't change much, whereas the slower 2.5" 5400rpms get more out of it?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #19953 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Can Xbox One external drives be moved from system to system? If you have a game installed on one, can you plug it into another system, log into the account which purchased the game and play it there? I know that people were thinking that'd be possible when externals were introduced but I'm not sure that it panned out that way.

post #19954 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Can Xbox One external drives be moved from system to system? If you have a game installed on one, can you plug it into another system, log into the account which purchased the game and play it there? I know that people were thinking that'd be possible when externals were introduced but I'm not sure that it panned out that way.

Yes you can.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #19955 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Yes you can.

You've done it or seen someone else do it? (This would be another advantage of Backup Plus Fast over Backup Plus Desktop; if you want to take it to a friend's to play a game or games installed on it you just power down the Xbox, unplug it, slip it into your pocket and go ).
JChin likes this.

post #19956 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Anyone else purchase Bridge Constructor? Great puzzle game for $9.99 that was released this weekend. Easy to pick up and play and challenging to master. Nice game for a casual gaming session.
post #19957 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
You've done it or seen someone else do it? (This would be another advantage of Backup Plus Fast over Backup Plus Desktop; if you want to take it to a friend's to play a game or games installed on it you just power down the Xbox, unplug it, slip it into your pocket and go ).
I used to do it when I owned 2 XB1's and also when I wanted to show my brother a game I just brought my HD over. Works nicely.
michaeltscott and JChin like this.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #19958 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You do need to sign in with your GT though so you make sure you have an internet connection on that other XB1

post #19959 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I've done it. I have two Xbox ones.
michaeltscott and JChin like this.

post #19960 of 19979 Old 08-23-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Quote:
Yes you can.
This is awesome, curious will the loaded game on external drive from Xbox One work on 360 or vise versa?
kevin g. likes this.
post #19961 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
This is awesome, curious will the loaded game on external drive from Xbox One work on 360 or vise versa?
That's a great question...now that they have opened up the 360 to 2tb drives...Although Xbox One games obviously won't work on the 360...and it has to be a Backwards Compatible title for a 360 game to work on the One.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #19962 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

I've not tried it but I doubt it will work, I'm pretty sure the xbox 360 game format is different on the xbox one than it is on the xbox 360.

post #19963 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought they virtualized the 360 architecture to work on the One...which is how everything works, if the studio authorizes it. That would lead me to think it's possible...

I have been playing Gears of War, and it looks as if I can jump in on 360 matches via LIVE...(haven't played any matches, but everything loads, it finds games, and gives me the option to join, so...) Cutscenes on Gears one are really laggy/stuttery, and freezy over the One.

post #19964 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

The fact that the entire game has to be downloaded if you have the disk (Downloaded not Copied) tends to make me think that they have done something different with the image so it isn't exactly the same.

post #19965 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Sorry, when I said between Medium and High I should have said "between Medium and anything higher than Medium". I'll play with it more tonight but I don't see a glaring difference between Medium and anything greater. It runs really well for me on MEdium so I'm not overtly concerned. I'll keep it on Very High anyway.
A little bit LTTP, but are you in the preview program ? there's a bug with people in the preview and the streaming app. you can check the bandwidth used in the xbox app while streaming (click on the little top left icon). High should use 12/15mbs while very high should use 20/25mbs. If you stay at 12/15mbs whatever setting you use, then you've got the bug...

PS : just discovered this part of the forum, i think i will come back more often now (you can't imagine how alone you can be when you have an Xbox One in Europe outside of UK...)
post #19966 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Looking for someone kind enough to send me an invite into the preview program. Please send me a Pm and I will get back with you my gamer tag. Thanks in advance!!

Always destroying exergy!
post #19967 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
A little bit LTTP, but are you in the preview program ? there's a bug with people in the preview and the streaming app. you can check the bandwidth used in the xbox app while streaming (click on the little top left icon). High should use 12/15mbs while very high should use 20/25mbs. If you stay at 12/15mbs whatever setting you use, then you've got the bug...

PS : just discovered this part of the forum, i think i will come back more often now (you can't imagine how alone you can be when you have an Xbox One in Europe outside of UK...)
Well you can always move to the States and experience our Craziness first hand and then you will not be so lonely Thanks for the bug on the streaming app. I'll have to give it a try. It may be why some people were saying they saw no difference between High and Very High. I know when I tried I didn't notice much of difference which was strange.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19968 of 19979 Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

Welcome Eric! And bingo, I think you nailed it. Regardless of which streaming option I choose it says the same bandwidth amount. And yes, I am in the preview program. Guess I'll wait out that fix, not a big deal. Good sleuthing.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #19969 of 19979 Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks guys I really like the US but i don't think I can live without my french wine and food

If you are part of the preview program, you can add your voice to the threads open for this problem here : http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_ac...t/2028804.aspx or here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_ac...t/2026628.aspx

When they rolled out the very high setting we didn't even have it in the xbox app, they made a correction but it seems that it was just cosmetic and didn't really solved the problem. At least we know that they are aware of it and will correct it ASAP.
post #19970 of 19979 Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tested out streaming outside of my home network and I was impressed. A few hiccups but overall a great experience. Played Madden 16 and some Halo campaign.

For those interested you have 2 options. Opening certain ports, this method would let me connect but I couldn't get a picture, or using DMZ. The DMZ worked for me. You also need to have the XB1 powered on as it will not let you turn it on like it does in your home network. I use the Harmony hub so I just power the XB1 from the Harmony app. You will need to know your IP address so you can tell the xbox app where to find your xb1.

Ports you need open

49000-65000

post #19971 of 19979 Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The fact that the entire game has to be downloaded if you have the disk (Downloaded not Copied) tends to make me think that they have done something different with the image so it isn't exactly the same.
Looks like you are correct on this...

NewEgg has the WD My Passport X 2TB on sale for the 80 bux, with Code EXLAWNS32. LINK: This is apparently all set up for the One, but you have to format it for the 360.

From the product page:

Quote:
  • Play anywhere

Take your gaming titles wherever you want. You can even plug it into your friend’s Xbox One or Xbox 360 video game system and it’s game on!* Internet required. Must be logged into your Xbox Live online account.
    * If game was purchased and loaded from disc, original discs may be required to verify ownership.

• Performance tweaked

Connecting the My Passport X gaming storage to your Xbox One or Xbox 360 is like equipping your gaming avatar with super-lifting strength and speed. It gives you the room to store a lot more games, plus the speed of a USB 3.0 compatibility for a lightning-quick gaming experience. My Passport X is backwardly compatible with USB 2.0 ports on Xbox 360 consoles. It’s built to deliver a great gaming performance for Xbox One, Xbox 360 or PC gamers.
    For Xbox 360 users, the My Passport X gaming storage is backwardly compatible with your USB 2.0 ports on your console.

• No sweat setup

My Passport X gaming storage takes just minutes to set up and you're locked and loaded to take on armed marauders, aliens and opponents of all types.
    For Xbox One users, plug it in and follow the easy on-screen instructions.
    For Xbox 360 users, simply navigate to the 'Storage Devices' section of the 'System Settings' dialog to format the drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post
Tested out streaming outside of my home network and I was impressed. A few hiccups but overall a great experience. Played Madden 16 and some Halo campaign.

For those interested you have 2 options. Opening certain ports, this method would let me connect but I couldn't get a picture, or using DMZ. The DMZ worked for me. You also need to have the XB1 powered on as it will not let you turn it on like it does in your home network. I use the Harmony hub so I just power the XB1 from the Harmony app. You will need to know your IP address so you can tell the xbox app where to find your xb1.

Ports you need open

49000-65000

This is very cool, as I already have mine in the DMZ...If I was away from home, I would be afraid that my Xbox One wouldn't shut off when I wanted to power it down.

post #19972 of 19979 Old 08-25-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
This is very cool, as I already have mine in the DMZ...If I was away from home, I would be afraid that my Xbox One wouldn't shut off when I wanted to power it down.
Funny you mention this, I didn't attempt to turn off the console through the controller as it never crossed my mind. I just hit the power button on the harmony app and the xbox app told me I lost connection so I just knew it was powered off. Will try the controller next time.

post #19973 of 19979 Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 286
@Mr Eric I was streaming Gears of Wars and checking out the streaming throughput. Not happy since I was only hitting 10MB which is interesting. I know when I do stream test I am good for Super High. Not sure what is going since NAT is open, and both my PC and Xbox are hard wired to my router. Have 1,000 M/bs service so I know that should not be a problem either. Sounds like I have that bug you were talking about.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #19974 of 19979 Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

if you are in the preview program, then it's definitively the bug i was speaking about. there's a temporary solution to make it work, just check the links I gave to the preview program forum, but I think it's safer to wait for the official update that shouldn't be to far away (at least i hope...).
post #19975 of 19979 Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Hello all, any advice on wireless ONE headphones? Here are the two I am looking at below. I see Pros and Cons on each.

AG7 -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XO041RQ/...I306M444NYMZ1J

420X-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXO5X4M/...I21QMB655BKPWN

Thanks in advance

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #19976 of 19979 Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Hello all, any advice on wireless ONE headphones? Here are the two I am looking at below. I see Pros and Cons on each.

AG7 -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XO041RQ/...I306M444NYMZ1J

420X-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YXO5X4M/...I21QMB655BKPWN

Thanks in advance
there's something missing on that 420X, but I can't tell what it is. I've the Stealth 500x, and it's more expensive...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #19977 of 19979 Old 08-26-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
there's something missing on that 420X, but I can't tell what it is. I've the Stealth 500x, and it's more expensive...

The main thing would be that the 500X is surround sound and the 420X is not.

post #19978 of 19979 Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
The main thing would be that the 500X is surround sound and the 420X is not.
Gotcha. I didn't realize it was stereo, seems like kind of a waste. You can get a used 500X on Amazon for roughly the same price.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #19979 of 19979 Old Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 101

http://majornelson.com/2015/08/31/ne...inkId=16684944

Xbox One Elite Bundle (1 TB SSHD) and Lunar White wireless controller announced.

Last edited by Mikazaru; Today at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page