The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 673 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1363Likes

Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
The console it is bought on is a 360 thing. It doesn't apply to the One. On the One it is the home console plus another console. For the eBay thing to work you would have to log into that account, designate that console as the home console. Then you can delete that account from the Xbox. However if that guy can log into the account on another Xbox he can set that other Xbox as the home console, making your download worthless
i think you might be right and i might be wrong BUT i bought forza 5 on my titanfall bundle console, then i deleted my profile off the console and sold it, the buyer, a friend of mine says forza 5 and titanfall work great. they also work on my new console with the GT i bought them on. i have never designated my xbox one console as a home console either. how do you explain that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper515 View Post
So are all these eBay ads illegal? If there are so many and eBay is not doing anything about it maybe it is legal? These are the exact instructions I was given to download the game. It's probably not risking having my brand new XB1 turn into a brick over a DRM violation trying to save $35.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forza-Motors...item235920a8a8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forza-Motors...item2a58654bf7
yup, dont be surprised either, they sell fake beats headphones on there everyday.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 610
New preview of the new dashboard. I was not a fan of the up coming interface before and this video does not change my mind.

kevin g. likes this.

Last edited by spid; 09-18-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
So are all these eBay ads illegal? If there are so many and eBay is not doing anything about it maybe it is legal? These are the exact instructions I was given to download the game. It's probably not risking having my brand new XB1 turn into a brick over a DRM violation trying to save $35.

i can not find a single person that has been banned for this. my fear is if the game was bought with a stolen credit card you could be banned in the future. i would get my money back and not risk it. game sharing is ok but how they obtained the game is what we will never know and that concerns me. again i would get a refund and buy a legitimate digital code.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
New preview of the new dashboard. I was not a fan of the up coming interface before and this video does not change my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex1WjrkLjAA
Wow!! That is a big change!

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Looks like they have addressed everything I had issue with, that I detailed earlier...(speed of the UI/dashboard...moving from app to app...etc) It's abundantly clear to me, that I was not the only one with this issue.

Ugly UI aside, (not a fan of the minimalist Win 10 appearance, but I understand that they are tying it to the Win 10 launch)...it looks much more sleek, and speedy. ("more like the 360, was mentioned a couple times"). I have not yet opted in, but I think I will.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Well, the original UI for the One is so god-awful, I'll take almost anything. It was like they'd never designed a UI before. How do you make a NEW console that's more difficult/time consuming(chat/party/invites) than the previous one? If nothing else, it appears the interactions have been sped up significantly. That's a very welcome change. Right now the response time is SO annoyingly slow. I can't imagine how it could possibly be worse, but I guess we'll see.
CoreyM likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokozuna View Post
i think you might be right and i might be wrong BUT i bought forza 5 on my titanfall bundle console, then i deleted my profile off the console and sold it, the buyer, a friend of mine says forza 5 and titanfall work great. they also work on my new console with the GT i bought them on. i have never designated my xbox one console as a home console either. how do you explain that?
The console you gave him is still your "home console" until you designate your new one as the as the the home. When you do, he will no longer have access to the games. It sounds like you didn't actually delete your profile off the console because something is saved for him to have access if he didn't buy the digital copies himself on his account.

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-18-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Well, the original UI for the One is so god-awful, I'll take almost anything. It was like they'd never designed a UI before. How do you make a NEW console that's more difficult/time consuming(chat/party/invites) than the previous one? If nothing else, it appears the interactions have been sped up significantly. That's a very welcome change. Right now the response time is SO annoyingly slow. I can't imagine how it could possibly be worse, but I guess we'll see.
It was originally designed to be used with Kinect. So with Kinect, navigation is quick. But without a controller with the current UI, I would think it would be a pain to navigate.
mboojigga likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Looks like they have addressed everything I had issue with, that I detailed earlier...(speed of the UI/dashboard...moving from app to app...etc) It's abundantly clear to me, that I was not the only one with this issue.

Ugly UI aside, (not a fan of the minimalist Win 10 appearance, but I understand that they are tying it to the Win 10 launch)...it looks much more sleek, and speedy. ("more like the 360, was mentioned a couple times"). I have not yet opted in, but I think I will.
I did not have an issue with the current one, and they are speeding up things I don't care about. For me it adds up to an ugly UI and an inconvenient location for everything I use a lot on the console so it is a overall loss for what I want from the console.

I never used the old guide much on the 360 so making it more 360 like is a waste for me.
jhoff80 likes this.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

New guide or Old doesn't matter to me, Kinect is still going to be how I get around. Personally I like the look of the new guide speed is what I am looking forward to overall speed.

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Spent 40 minutes talking to eBay, had my call escalated 3 times, and they finally said the ad is legit and they find nothing wrong with it. They said as long as all communication with the seller is done through eBay you are protected and they advised me to go through with the purchase and I would not be refunded unless for some reason the the game doesn't work. So although I could tell eBay the game doesn't work, that would be lying too. I had the game 30 percent downloaded before I deleted it...it would have taken me about 24 hours to download the entire game on my DSL connection.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing illegal about any of this. All he did was have you pay a flat fee to access the account and games associated with the account. What "possibly" is illegal the potential credit cards were stolen to purchase to this account. The process is no different than me going to my second Xbox console in my kids room and making it the home console while I have access on the console in my living room and bedroom with my account login.

Good call IMO to not download and just avoid a situation. This feature is only meant to do with someone you trust or in your home with multiple consoles.

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-18-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
What drives me crazy is this constant emphasis that 'with the right trigger shortcut, access to your pins is faster than before'. Again, that just will not work without any visual cue for non-gamers using the system for media. And while yes, the dashboard appears faster in general, there's also far more cruft to scroll through before I (or anyone in my household) get to the stuff I want to use.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 09-18-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
What drives me crazy is this constant emphasis that 'with the right trigger shortcut, access to your pins is faster than before'. Again, that just will not work without any visual cue for non-gamers using the system for media. And while yes, the dashboard appears faster in general, there's also far more cruft to scroll through before I (or anyone in my household) get to the stuff I want to use.
That is why they provide video guides and even on the current UI it pops up with reminder info in the top right corner "You can say Xbox ______". X1 box from Comcast has all types of features no one has a clue about either but you can watch videos of all the features right at the app. Honestly what is any different about a new dashboard not telling you to hit the right trigger than using a new Windows/Apple OS?

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Sorry...total newbie to this forum. I'm trying to help my brother, find the best way to stream Slingbox through his One?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUNDER - E.S.A.C. (Eastern Shore Audio Collective)

If you give 2 sh*ts, what I'm listening to CDs Rotation NEW & OLD
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
Honestly what is any different about a new dashboard not telling you to hit the right trigger than using a new Windows/Apple OS?
For one, they literally just had to roll back nearly all of their changes in Windows 8 because people couldn't figure out the new OS that used very similar hidden functionality.

To your larger point of people not figuring out features of the Comcast box, it's a little different. On the Comcast box, people can figure out basic video/media functionality pretty easily. The main video functionality is all right in front of you. On the new Xbox interface, you either have to teach every single person who is going to use the console that they have to hit the right trigger (which also, is not an option for those using the Xbox Media Remote), or they have to scroll through pages of gamer-centric junk that nobody cares about.
centking likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 09-18-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
I am going to have to take your advice here. The guy claims it is legal game sharing and refuses to refund the $35. Ultimately the $35 is not that big a deal and whether eBay refunds it to me or not is not that big a deal either. Just pissed at myself for buying it without reading the ad clearly. Once I was able to read the ad on a PC I knew something didn't sound right but by that time my wife had already responded to the email I sent to her to buy it for me and bought it on eBay.

The funny thing is that in one of his communications to me he referred to it as "our game". Maybe the guy really does believe it's legal to do this since he does not have a history of doing it before, at least not with this eBay account.
I am a little late to the discussion, but my suspicion is that this person recently made a live account and bought the digital version of the game on that account (now how he did that is uncertain) and is selling it (some form of 'laundering'?)

Some simple steps can help you figure out the history of this account. Login to Microsoft live on your PC with that account. Use the email and password he has given you and you will get the full profile of the account (name, address, personal information etc), along will billing history and purchase history. You can immediately see when the game was bought by the account, and even the method of payment that was used. You might get some clues on the legitimacy of the account.

At the end, you have to decide if you are comfortable with this purchase. If you are, change the email and password to the account (and try to change the personal information as well). The email change can take 6-8 weeks and they (Microsoft) will lock the account during that time. You will be able to add secondary emails for communication purposes. Of course before doing this, assign your console as the 'home' console, and thus you will be able to play the game with your 'real' account. Then set up 2 stage verification for that account.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Old 09-18-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Nothing illegal about any of this. All he did was have you pay a flat fee to access the account and games associated with the account. What "possibly" is illegal the potential credit cards were stolen to purchase to this account. The process is no different than me going to my second Xbox console in my kids room and making it the home console while I have access on the console in my living room and bedroom with my account login.

Good call IMO to not download and just avoid a situation. This feature is only meant to do with someone you trust or in your home with multiple consoles.
so you are telling me the second listing there the guy bought the ultimate edition 4 times for $100 each, sold 1 for $40 and 2 for $50 and the fourth one is currently bid up to $46 and there is nothing wrong? wake up. you do not buy things for $100 x 4 and then resell them for $50 each. they are using stolen credit cards. it is fraud and against MS TOS and not worth the risk.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
For one, they literally just had to roll back nearly all of their changes in Windows 8 because people couldn't figure out the new OS that used very similar hidden functionality.

To your larger point of people not figuring out features of the Comcast box, it's a little different. On the Comcast box, people can figure out basic video/media functionality pretty easily. The main video functionality is all right in front of you. On the new Xbox interface, you either have to teach every single person who is going to use the console that they have to hit the right trigger (which also, is not an option for those using the Xbox Media Remote), or they have to scroll through pages of gamer-centric junk that nobody cares about.
As a Comcast installer, I can tell you this is not even close to being the case for a lot of customers lol. It isn't just video we are talking about it is the remote as well.

I honestly don't see with the new dashboard other than layout what is difficult navigating it. Everything I use now is immediately right on the first screen turning it on from power save and when I say Xbox go home or hit the Xbox button. The game is there disc or digital. Previous games or apps frequently access is right there along with the tab to access all the games and apps. What more do I need to get to except friends list which is much faster vs a preview now and then a splash screen to see all my friends on another page.

I can show how to provide shortcuts all day on a X1 box and customers are still going to tell me they rather do it the long way because that is how they will remember. Overtime everyone and newcomers will accidentally find new navigation tools. Been using Iphone for years and still have a brain fart at times trying to find something in the settings app lol.
onlysublime likes this.

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-18-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
The console you gave him is still your "home console" until you designate your new one as the as the the home. When you do, he will no longer have access to the games. It sounds like you didn't actually delete your profile off the console because something is saved for him to have access if he didn't buy the digital copies himself on his account.
you might be correct about this. i know my profile is not on his console but i never did make my new console my home console. i dont remember making the old console my home console either though.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
so you are telling me the second listing there the guy bought the ultimate edition 4 times for $100 each, sold 1 for $40 and 2 for $50 and the fourth one is currently bid up to $46 and there is nothing wrong? wake up. you do not buy things for $100 x 4 and then resell them for $50 each. they are using stolen credit cards. it is fraud and against MS TOS and not worth the risk.
I don't know or care about the portion of how he got the games or whatever from previous post. I was simply talking about the share feature. I made the point it isn't worth the risk if it was stolen credit cards used. The share feature is what I was focused on.

The 5.0 is here
Old 09-18-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know or care about the portion of how he got the games or whatever from previous post. I was simply talking about the share feature. I made the point it isn't worth the risk if it was stolen credit cards used. The share feature is what I was focused on.
thats the difference between you and i, i do care! i do not want to see anyone get in trouble to save a few bucks on a game. enjoy your day
Old 09-18-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post
I am a little late to the discussion, but my suspicion is that this person recently made a live account and bought the digital version of the game on that account (now how he did that is uncertain) and is selling it (some form of 'laundering'?)

Some simple steps can help you figure out the history of this account. Login to Microsoft live on your PC with that account. Use the email and password he has given you and you will get the full profile of the account (name, address, personal information etc), along will billing history and purchase history. You can immediately see when the game was bought by the account, and even the method of payment that was used. You might get some clues on the legitimacy of the account.

At the end, you have to decide if you are comfortable with this purchase. If you are, change the email and password to the account (and try to change the personal information as well). The email change can take 6-8 weeks and they (Microsoft) will lock the account during that time. You will be able to add secondary emails for communication purposes. Of course before doing this, assign your console as the 'home' console, and thus you will be able to play the game with your 'real' account. Then set up 2 stage verification for that account.
it may not let him access the payment details section without sending a verification code to the email account on file. he may not have access to that email account but i could be mistaken.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 371
Quote:
you might be correct about this. i know my profile is not on his console but i never did make my new console my home console. i dont remember making the old console my home console either though.
I think when you get your first Xbox One it defaults to it after you first sign in. I know mine was set up that way already.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 09-18-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I think when you get your first Xbox One it defaults to it after you first sign in. I know mine was set up that way already.
that makes sense. so by making your console your home console its kinda like doing a license transfer?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
I'm guessing you did designate that console as your home console and didn't realize it.

And if you haven't designated your new console as the home console, the other console is still your home console.

It's kind of like the license transfer but it's much more seamless and instant. I remember the 360 time got shrunk down to a few weeks, but originally, it took months to get the transfer to happen. I think they got away from the 360 method because of the frequent warranty exchanges for 360 and because the One was originally designed for true sharing but the plans got all messed up with going back to a traditional console model.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
I'm guessing you did designate that console as your home console and didn't realize it.

And if you haven't designated your new console as the home console, the other console is still your home console.

It's kind of like the license transfer but it's much more seamless and instant. I remember the 360 time got shrunk down to a few weeks, but originally, it took months to get the transfer to happen. I think they got away from the 360 method because of the frequent warranty exchanges for 360 and because the One was originally designed for true sharing but the plans got all messed up with going back to a traditional console model.
i might have. i dont want to screw my friend out of those games so i wont make my new console my home console until i consult with him.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:

I think the new dash looks great.

Hopefully they don't gimp the Kinect navigation. It is by far the fast way around as long as you remember the commands. With Kinect, you didn't have to go through layers of menus. In fact, you can directly go from one place to another which rarely happens in tech (you look at Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, any gaming console, etc., you have to drill down or up through menus). I'm hoping they make navigation more natural with the Cortana tech versus the Kinect tech (separate teams doing redundant work). With the current Kinect, you have to use the right phrasing to get it to do it. Cortana has more leeway with verbiage (though this freedom does lead to amusing experiences when Cortana totally botches what you were trying to say).

My biggest problem with the current One dashboard with the 360 dashboard is the ability to jump from party to party which is what a lot of us did in the 360 days. The One design almost traps you inside the party.

Another problem not addressed by the video is this: on the 360, you get a party invite during a game, you hit the guide button and then join the party. You had plenty of time to choose to join. On the One, if you don't accept the party invite the moment it's received, you have to go to the home page (out of the game), go to the notifications, and then join the party. and then switch from the snapped party app to the game or close the snapped party app. That whole process took way too long. And if you waited too long, the invite was already expired. The invite can expire on the 360 but I remember having much more time.

Even if you do hit the accept on the party invite right away, you still have to unsnap the app or switch snaps.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 371
Quote:
that makes sense. so by making your console your home console its kinda like doing a license transfer?
Probably, but much less painless. What I like is being able to go to a friends house and just being able to sign in and download one of my games and play.
smokozuna likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition