The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 685 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1817Likes

post #20521 of 21921 Old 11-26-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Has anyone noticed their One signing in really slow today? The sign-in circle seems to be spinning a lot longer than usual...
Mine has been slow for a couple of days.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20522 of 21921 Old 11-26-2015, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
Has anyone noticed their One signing in really slow today? The sign-in circle seems to be spinning a lot longer than usual...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Mine has been slow for a couple of days.
+1

Been for a couple days for me too. Once in, things seem to running fine though. We'll see how it goes through Black Friday through Cyber Monday.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #20523 of 21921 Old 11-27-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any suggestions for setting up xbox one to work more smoothly using One guide with TWC and a Harmony 700 Remote?

It'd be nice to easily set up the remote (and by easy I mean for my mom and father in law to be able to not have any issues when they sit my daughter) so that "Watch TV" command opens directly to TV and/or there were the ability to navigate the X1 home page to Live TV without having to toggle "devices" on the remote...

Any ideas, let me know!

post #20524 of 21921 Old 11-27-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
there is an option to launch directly to the TV mode. the Kinect helps out as well.
post #20525 of 21921 Old 11-28-2015, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 794
I've had the slow sign in as well. I just hit the A button and it launches the most recent all/game and completed the login. Work around for now.
post #20526 of 21921 Old 11-28-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
there is an option to launch directly to the TV mode. the Kinect helps out as well.
Got the Launch to TV part all set now... Too bad my Kinect has been defective for almost the entire time I've owned the X1... It usually starts up with the xbox but after a few minutes it cuts out and turns off. Been too lazy to look into buying a new one.
post #20527 of 21921 Old 11-28-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf2686 View Post
Got the Launch to TV part all set now... Too bad my Kinect has been defective for almost the entire time I've owned the X1... It usually starts up with the xbox but after a few minutes it cuts out and turns off. Been too lazy to look into buying a new one.
?

Why didn't you just replace it under warranty?
kevin g. likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #20528 of 21921 Old 11-30-2015, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Am I Stupid?

No doubt the dumbest post you will read all year, but I have no shame. If there is a prize, maybe it will be an Xbox?

By luck I discovered today that Microsoft is adding DVR functions to the Live TV capabilities. Knowing that Microsoft abandoned Media Center in Windows 10, I do not understand why they are providing it in this gear.

I love Media Center and have been trying to find a replacement, but the devices just aren't Media Center which was an experience I enjoyed. I simply time-shift my programs and don't need to do much with Live TV as all. I just want a "VCR" for my PC that is updated with the necessary drivers and codecs as necessary and that is reliable and Media Center has provided that to me for years.

Have I read correctly? Has anyone read up on the news and used Media Center in Win 7/8? Would that be a solution for my situation? I don't play games at all, so it would be an expensive replacement, but I just don't want to fiddle with the various other devices out there that are trying to be a Tivo. And I don't like Tivo subscription model because I watch so little and don't need my device to "make coffee" too.

Any suggestions?
post #20529 of 21921 Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post
No doubt the dumbest post you will read all year, but I have no shame. If there is a prize, maybe it will be an Xbox?

By luck I discovered today that Microsoft is adding DVR functions to the Live TV capabilities. Knowing that Microsoft abandoned Media Center in Windows 10, I do not understand why they are providing it in this gear.

I love Media Center and have been trying to find a replacement, but the devices just aren't Media Center which was an experience I enjoyed. I simply time-shift my programs and don't need to do much with Live TV as all. I just want a "VCR" for my PC that is updated with the necessary drivers and codecs as necessary and that is reliable and Media Center has provided that to me for years.

Any suggestions?
well, FresnoMan, this is ClovisWestMan. There is one part of the solution that you can do. Keep Windows Media Center on your PC (one of my PCs remains Windows 8.1). You can right-click on the file and play it to the Xbox One.

You can also use the Media Player app on the Xbox One and pick videos stored on your WMC.

This is for all the people getting the no devices found problem on the Xbox One. To fix it you have to turn on file sharing on your PC. This is a step-by-step for Windows 7 users.
Step 1. Click on the windows start button
Step 2. Click on Computer
Step 3. Click on Homegroup (will be on the left side of window, above Computer and below Libraries) If you haven't setup your homegroup before follow these steps
Step 4. Start the setup wizard
Step 5. As you go through the setup wizard look for Share libraries and printers
Step 6. There will be five check-boxes below called Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, and Printers.
Step 7. Check all check-boxes that you want to be able to see on your Xbox One (I left Documents and Printers unchecked for mine)
Step 8. Look for Share media with devices (should be right under the five check-boxes)
Step 9. Check the check-box "Stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my home network"
Step 10. Finish with the setup wizard

If you have already setup your homegroup before then follow these steps
Step 4. Click on View homegroup settings
Step 5. Look for Share libraries and printers
Step 6. There will be five check-boxes below called Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, and Printers.
Step 7. Check all check-boxes that you want to be able to see on your Xbox One (I left Documents and Printers unchecked for mine)
Step 8. Look for Share media with devices (should be right under the five check-boxes)
Step 9. Check the check-box "Stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my home network"
Step 10. Click the Save changes button
Step 11. Click on Choose media streaming options...(should be right under the check-box "Stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my home network") Step 12. Verify that your Xbox one is listed (mine is called Xbox-SystemOS) and that it's set to "Allowed" in the drop down to the right.
Step 13. Click the OK button
Step 14. Close the window
Step 15. Restart your PC (be sure to have your Xbox One on when the PC restarts)
Step 16. Once the PC has fully restarted make sure the Xbox One device under Devices and Printers is recognized.
Step 17. If device is still not recognized right click on it and then click on Troubleshoot.
Step 18. The Troubleshoot will more then likely say it can't solve the problem (but for whatever reason it does, at least for me it did)
Step 19. You're done! If all goes well then that should be it. You should now be able to stream movies, music, and pictures to your Xbox One. If not try restarting your X1. Well hopes this helps you guys.
DaverJ likes this.
post #20530 of 21921 Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
well, FresnoMan, this is ClovisWestMan. There is one part of the solution that you can do. Keep Windows Media Center on your PC (one of my PCs remains Windows 8.1). You can right-click on the file and play it to the Xbox One.

You can also use the Media Player app on the Xbox One and pick videos stored on your WMC.
Small world. Thanks for the reply and BIG Dodger fan here, but that's for a different forum I imagine.

I'm freaking out (prematurely) about losing this feature. Yeah, I could just not upgrade at all. But since I use my PC a lot, I do want to keep the OS most current. So I probably will switch to W10 before the free upgrade runs out.

I just wanted to get some feedback from people who have XBox and have wanted this feature on their devices. They most likely have been following the timeline more closely so I could determine if this is a possibility. I know nothing about Xbox and was trying to save some time if this is really not anything similar.

Go Bruins!
post #20531 of 21921 Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 141
just FYI, you can install WMC on win10 : http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-me...a-f-1729919907
post #20532 of 21921 Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
just FYI, you can install WMC on win10 : http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-me...a-f-1729919907
Ok here's my scenario...
Currently I have my media on my iMac with Plex.
It serves two Roku's and my Xbox One with the basic files.
I use each TV's built in tuner to watch OTA programming (right now I don't have an antenna on the livingroom TV, haven't got around to it yet).
What I would like to do is not have to put an antenna on each TV nor run the cabling for all. I also have a dedicated gaming system I built with Windows 10 on it.
I'm wondering if I could get a tuner card in the gaming PC and have it serve OTA programming to my Roku's and Xbox One and will WMC provide that

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
post #20533 of 21921 Old 12-01-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
Hey, thanks. I did see that link in my earlier readings, but haven't looked into it since I don't have W10 yet. I'm looking for a solution that provides updates when necessary or I'm just swapping the benefit of keeping my interface with the dreaded need to update patches via Kodi or something similar. I don't watch enough TV to warrant spending an equal amount of time keeping it going.

But I do appreciate you taking the time to mention it.
post #20534 of 21921 Old 12-01-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

while we all like free stuff, advocating pirated software is a no-no
post #20535 of 21921 Old 12-04-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone know if using an SSD will improve speeds of uploading apps like netflix etc? If so what will be a good "cheap" SSD, only need 500 GB-1 TB drive?
post #20536 of 21921 Old 12-07-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
while we all like free stuff, advocating pirated software is a no-no
It's not pirating as it will require you to authenticate with a valid Windows w/ Media Center key. It's more like upgrading Windows and retaining features of the previous version. Not piracy but it is against the license use I'm sure.

To the guy asking the core WMC questions, a big factor is whether your cable company (if you use CableCard) encrypts with the copy once flag. If no, or if you're over-the-air, then there are options. If not you're stuck with WMC DRM until SiliconDust gets their DRM solution rolled out.
post #20537 of 21921 Old 12-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer. I recently upgraded to a new 7.2 receiver however I'm running it at 5.1 since I am bi amping my polk left and right towers. I know the concensus is to use uncompressed format and not Bitstream output but since it is a 7.2 receiver should I send it 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed?

Edit: also a little off topic but what the heck does the diamond with a "v" in it mean next to my name mean? I see others have the tapatalk icon which makes sense but the v?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Always destroying exergy!

Last edited by superkyle; 12-08-2015 at 07:49 AM.
post #20538 of 21921 Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5252 Post(s)
Liked: 3160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoMan View Post

Have I read correctly? Has anyone read up on the news and used Media Center in Win 7/8? Would that be a solution for my situation? I don't play games at all, so it would be an expensive replacement, but I just don't want to fiddle with the various other devices out there that are trying to be a Tivo. And I don't like Tivo subscription model because I watch so little and don't need my device to "make coffee" too.

Any suggestions?
A VCR for the PC?!? I did that with my HD recordings back from 2001 to 2004. I could not imagine going back to VCR type recordings where it was based on time and not name based like how DVRs record. I only dealt with it back in the early 2000's because that was the best way at the time for me to record HD broadcasts. But once the HD TiVo came out in 2004 with DirecTV, I quickly moved away from VCR type recording for HD content.
Nayan likes this.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #20539 of 21921 Old 12-08-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Any DOA5 players in here? My son and I were having some fun playing tonight (I'm the lady in red)... Ok I admit we were probably button mashing more than figuring out moves, but I did pull off this sweet spin move on him to help finish him off! One of the few games where I can openly whoop up on him and not feel guilty about any longer since he is now kicking my butt on everything else!
stevew24963 likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20540 of 21921 Old 12-08-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
A VCR for the PC?!? I did that with my HD recordings back from 2001 to 2004. I could not imagine going back to VCR type recordings where it was based on time and not name based like how DVRs record. I only dealt with it back in the early 2000's because that was the best way at the time for me to record HD broadcasts. But once the HD TiVo came out in 2004 with DirecTV, I quickly moved away from VCR type recording for HD content.
Good to know, Aaron. I was merely simplifying what I was looking for. WMC uses the EPG to label the recordings and I actually enjoy that. Could I live without it? If I had to. But that wasn't my point.

The point of my post was to request engagement in my inquiry as to whether the TV portion of the Xbox One was somewhat of a continuation of what MS was providing in Windows.

Your reply mirrored my results; there was very little response.
post #20541 of 21921 Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No one knows exactly what the DVR functionality will be like with the Xbox One.

If I had to guess, it would be pretty simple. If you want to record something, hit the record. If you see something on the guide, schedule it to record.

My guess is it won't have more advanced features like WMC. Things like "record The Big Bang Theory on any available channels (so that you can record new episodes on CBS and reruns in syndication on some random channel)". I doubt it'll have features like ad skipping. Or multi-tuner support.
post #20542 of 21921 Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
No one knows exactly what the DVR functionality will be like with the Xbox One.

If I had to guess, it would be pretty simple. If you want to record something, hit the record. If you see something on the guide, schedule it to record.

My guess is it won't have more advanced features like WMC. Things like "record The Big Bang Theory on any available channels (so that you can record new episodes on CBS and reruns in syndication on some random channel)". I doubt it'll have features like ad skipping. Or multi-tuner support.
No one will know until January. I had just hoped someone had read something but it's probably shrouded in their typical secrecy.

I'm inclined to agree with your predictions--they all seem logical. But with MS, logic isn't always utilized. I do appreciate you taking the time and sharing your thoughts. This isn't the route I'm likely to take though as there are a few products out there that are getting my interest.
post #20543 of 21921 Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Unravel story trailer. The game releases 2/9/16

post #20544 of 21921 Old 12-14-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2711 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post
Unravel story trailer. The game releases 2/9/16

I've seen a trailer for that before; if nothing else it is drop-dead gorgeous.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #20545 of 21921 Old 12-14-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I've seen a trailer for that before; if nothing else it is drop-dead gorgeous.
Yes it is but no way in hell that's going to translate to consoles. If it looks like that graphically on consoles I gotta look at every developer ever with the

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
post #20546 of 21921 Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Just got an update to my xb1. This is the first one since the big dashboard update from a month ago. Anyone know what it fixes/adds? Found nothing on google or Major Nelson's site.

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player
Arris DCX3600-M DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBox One
URC MX-780 remote control
post #20547 of 21921 Old 12-14-2015, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2711 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Yes it is but no way in hell that's going to translate to consoles. If it looks like that graphically on consoles I gotta look at every developer ever with the
I dunno--the screenshots on its page on Xbox.com look pretty good. Of course, they might not have been generated by the game on Xbox One but that's what they're leading us to expect (I pre-ordered it, given that it's only $20). They don't look quite as sharp as that demo but the Xbox can't render at the high resolutions that a PC can.

I doubt that those beautiful backgrounds are entirely rendered in realtime so it might not be as taxing as all that.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #20548 of 21921 Old 12-15-2015, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 496
It will be interesting to see how good the game looks on the Xbox One. Ori looked fantastic so I imagine Unravel will look just as good as that. I contemplated getting Ori on PC so I can try and compare the two, but just to many games to play. Unravel I do think I will get on PC just because of the graphics will most likely be better. Though I will miss having that 60" screen size to play on.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20549 of 21921 Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 794
That does look amazing but no way it will look like that on the xbox one. Sadly.
post #20550 of 21921 Old 12-17-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Really thought I was going to see the Bioshock series on the backward compatibility list for Dec.. A bit disappointing they aren't there.. I hope they make the cut soon. Glad to see Halo Reach made it through at least.
Nayan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition