The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 688 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1696Likes

Old 12-24-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewdpost View Post
Seagate Backup Plus Fast 4TB
It's worth the little bit extra for massively improved performance compared to the standard drives out there.
What he said ^^^.

If that's too much money, then a standard Seagate 2TB or Western Digital 2TB should do the trick, and are equal in speed to the XB1's internal HD. I use the WD with no problems.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Last edited by DaverJ; 12-24-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2015, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
What he said ^^^.

If that's too much money, then a standard Seagate 2TB or Western Digital 2TB should do the trick, and are equal in speed to the XB1's internal HD. I use the WD with no problems.
Sorry to belabor the point, but would going with either one of these external drives combined with the 1TB HD console that comes in the Tomb Raider bundle (for example) perform better in terms of speed/reliability/overall performance than the Elite console?

Does it just plug in via USB to one of the rear ports on the console? I'm assuming that you just designate it as the storage source in one of the menus, but is there much else that needs to be done?

By the way...thanks everyone for taking the time to talk through this stuff!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdavid570 View Post
Sorry to belabor the point, but would going with either one of these external drives combined with the 1TB HD console that comes in the Tomb Raider bundle (for example) perform better in terms of speed/reliability/overall performance than the Elite console?

Does it just plug in via USB to one of the rear ports on the console? I'm assuming that you just designate it as the storage source in one of the menus, but is there much else that needs to be done?

To the best of my knowledge:
  • Not sure about exact specs, but the internal hybrid 1TB drive in the Elite Console should be the fastest because everything - the OS, games, apps, etc. benefit from the speed boost.
  • An SSD connected via UBS3 ports on back or side should speed up the games and apps loaded on that drive, but limited size makes it not a good value in terms of bang-for-buck.
  • The Seagate Backup FAST 4TB gives very good (some claim almost SSD-like) speed for items installed on that drive, but runs just under $200.
  • Lastly, a standard USB3 drive such as a Seagate (non-FAST) or Western Digital gives decent performance comparable to the XB1's internal HD (non-Elite model), and 2TB drives can be had for around $75.

Installing an external USB3 drive is easy - just plug it in while the console is on, and a notification will appear to guide through the formatting, naming, and setting as the default install drive. MS did a fine job with this design!
sooke likes this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders

Last edited by DaverJ; 12-25-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:

Here's the thing. You get a regular Xbox One and you pair it with a fast drive. You're not going to want to really use that internal HDD. You're going to use the faster drive. I barely have anything installed on my internal HDD because why use that when you have a faster drive attached.

But with the Elite, you already have a fast drive inside. Maybe not the fastest. But in either case, you can always add fast external storage. But at least in the Elite case, you still have a fast internal drive that you would actually want to use.

And there's still the 2 external storage drives limit as far as I know. You want the ultimate setup? Get the Elite with the internal SSHD. Get a huge external (4TB+). And get a nice SSD for the favorites or the "flavor of the month".
DaverJ and Arutha_conDoin like this.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I read a posting (that I can't find right now) that said in taking the FAST drive apart, there were 2 non-Seagate drives packed in there.

I wasn't so sure about that.

So anyway, MY Plan of attack is to install all the games on my internal 1TB HDD, and than move the games I'm actively playing onto my 500GB Samsung EVO SSD. That should easily cover 7-8 games with some room to spare, which is plenty for me.

I'll keep everything I don't own (and don't play) on the internal HDD. Mostly for patch considerations. Halo MC took 19GB of patch, Gears took a 5GB patch, and the Halo 5 took like a 15GB patch? My internet connection was BANGING yesterday !
DaverJ likes this.

Gaming hard from October thru April.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:49 AM

My thought wasn't necessarily to pair the Elite with an external SSD, but rather a standard console with the external drive. I'm not worried so much about space, as I think 1 TB should be more than enough for me. I don't typically play more than one or two games at a time, and once I'm done with a game, I usually move on and trade it in. With that said, I don't necessarily need a ton of room to keep a large library of games. My main concern is solid, smooth performance of games, especially as they get more and more developed over the years. All in all, my concern is performance, not vast HD space.

I guess it comes down to the question of what should be the better performer? A standard console (e.g. with the TR bundle) paired with an external SSD, or the Elite console with the SSHD?

I noticed there is another thread dedicated to external drives, so I plan to check through that as well...

UPDATE: Ugh...I just read through the other thread about external drives, and my brain is spinning! I'm thinking more and more just not dealing with an external drive just going with the Elite...of course I'll probably go back and forth a few more times on this...

Last edited by markdavid570; 12-26-2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-26-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
So if any of you guys were buying an XB1 now...not upgrading, just buying outright...would you get the Elite or another 1 TB bundle?
Elite, for sure. I've spent money on an external hard (2TB WD, which works great by the way) and the elite controller. If the elite was available when I bought my X1, I would have got it.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post
Elite, for sure. I've spent money on an external hard (2TB WD, which works great by the way) and the elite controller. If the elite was available when I bought my X1, I would have got it.
Same.

If performance is priority, and packed-in games and/or bang-for-buck is secondary, the Elite Bundle is the way to go. It gives you an option to add external SSD, hybrid, or standard USB 3 drive(s) down the road for more storage and/or performance, plus the best controller ever made.

If I had to do it over again, I would hands-down get the Elite Bundle.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think the Elite is the way I'll go on this. It's nice to just have everyone in one console, even if the external drives are small and can be kept out of the way. I can always add an external drive later if needed. I also like the matte black of the console, but I suppose that's not a real issue.
DaverJ and Nayan like this.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 PM

Liked: 16
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post
I don't necessarily wear this badge with honor, but I have you all beat at 2649 hours. It also says that I'm in the top 1% for gamerscore for the year. So many good games came out this year!

With those numbers, Do you play games for a living ? That's like 50 hours a week
Old 12-27-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post
With those numbers, Do you play games for a living ? That's like 50 hours a week
I didn't get paid for it last year, but I sure should have lol: 2718hrs!!! I blame Destiny
Nayan likes this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 12-27-2015, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I didn't get paid for it last year, but I sure should have lol: 2718hrs!!! I blame Destiny
3161 hours for me. My tv runs through the Xbox, and it's in standby mode when we not using it. All that must be counting towards the time. Just thinking about those hours, I wonder if it's logging time for the 360 as well? It must. I do not play that much.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post
3161 hours for me. My tv runs through the Xbox, and it's in standby mode when we not using it. All that must be counting towards the time. Just thinking about those hours, I wonder if it's logging time for the 360 as well? It must. I do not play that much.
It can't be TV in standby. My TV is also hooked up to the TV with the Xbox in standby and I have nowhere near your hours.

It does include 360 time. It's simply Xbox Live time. Anything you do while connected to Xbox Live.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Almost made it to 4000. Most of it is TV streaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1146098  

Samsung 8550 65 Nova SEK-3500U/ZA
Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I think the Elite is the way I'll go on this. It's nice to just have everyone in one console, even if the external drives are small and can be kept out of the way. I can always add an external drive later if needed. I also like the matte black of the console, but I suppose that's not a real issue.
For what it's worth, as an update, I went with the Elite bundle! I haven't set it all up yet, but I'm looking forward to it!
DaverJ, Nayan and stevew24963 like this.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4151 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
To the best of my knowledge:
  • Not sure about exact specs, but the internal hybrid 1TB drive in the Elite Console should be the fastest because everything - the OS, games, apps, etc. benefit from the speed boost......................

Not sure how a Hybrid drive can speed up AAA game loads when those games are over 30GB in size and the solid state memory of a Hybrid drive is typically only 8GB. And for turning on the console it should only help when doing a cold boot instead of standby. Since standby has it own flash storage that system puts everything in when in standby. OF course smaller games and apps used a lot should speed up. Or is the Hybrid drive in the XBOne different than a typical one? And has different algorithms than the normal hybrid drives?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 12-30-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would imagine the SSHD in the Elite would assist most with OS functions and any system cache stored on disk. But I haven't really seen any like-for-like benchmarks.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

They never load the entire game at a time so the game size doesn't matter. The console only has 8 GB of RAM. There's no possible way to load all 30 GB.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
An SSHD will fill its solid state component with the most frequently accessed chunks of data. It's a persistent store cache.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
They never load the entire game at a time so the game size doesn't matter. The console only has 8 GB of RAM. There's no possible way to load all 30 GB.
It also has 8GB of flash storage to use when in standby. So the 8GB in an SSHD would come into play in a game when it first boots up. But I know if I have a game that I'm playing everyday, it rarely boots up from scratch and is already loaded in to the system when I come out of standby.

For me, If I were getting a new system today and the cost was the same, then I would be getting the SSHD version. But I would still be connecting an external drive, like the 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Fast Drives I use. I think they offer the best bang for the buck, give you a lot of storage with fast read/write speeds. But if the non SSHD version were cheaper, like $50, I would go with the non SSHD version. Since with either version I would still be storing all my games and apps on the external drive.

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-30-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
[/LIST]
Not sure how a Hybrid drive can speed up AAA game loads when those games are over 30GB in size and the solid state memory of a Hybrid drive is typically only 8GB. And for turning on the console it should only help when doing a cold boot instead of standby. Since standby has it own flash storage that system puts everything in when in standby. OF course smaller games and apps used a lot should speed up. Or is the Hybrid drive in the XBOne different than a typical one? And has different algorithms than the normal hybrid drives?

Every SSHD I've seen uses internal logic completely independent of the OS. I'm assuming they're using an off the shelf drive because it doesn't seem worth the time to optimize beyond that.

It prioritizes reads in the first few minutes to ensure it speeds up boot. Then beyond that they prioritize caching blocks that are randomly accessed because those are the only ones that get any real benefit from solid state. So those few GB go much further than you'd think.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 01-01-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...ainst-apple-tv

So what do you guys think of this? Sounds more like a small windows 10 box than a mini Xbox, but by next year that might be the same thing. With the Xbox to PC streaming it would make a pretty good Xbox extender though.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 01-01-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

So what do you guys think of this? Sounds more like a small windows 10 box than a mini Xbox, but by next year that might be the same thing. With the Xbox to PC streaming it would make a pretty good Xbox extender though.
meh!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I had seen that article the other day, and thought that since they did away with MCE in Windows...what's the point? There are already a TON of streaming boxes out there, and everything else in the Microsoft universe already does their apps...
Give us MCE and the "gameless Xbox" as an extender...then I'll be excited.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Old 01-01-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I get the feeling at E3 we will see and hear the news of the Xbox Mini. A smaller and sleeker Xbox One Hell I'll even go out on a limb and put it in two flavors. One with the Blu Ray Drive and another without for those that just want to go all Digital!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 01-01-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I get the feeling at E3 we will see and hear the news of the Xbox Mini. A smaller and sleeker Xbox One Hell I'll even go out on a limb and put it in two flavors. One with the Blu Ray Drive and another without for those that just want to go all Digital!
Now that I would upgrade to. I don't use the optical drive in either of my XBOnes since I'm all digital. If a new box like that could have a new chipset with a much lower power draw and in a smaller enclosure, I would replace my two 2013 XBOnes with them.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
It was more than a year in before I finally used the BDROM drive in my Xbox One, for Rocksmith 2014. I caught a deal on disc+cable for $40 and couldn't resist the savings, since a spare cable wouldn't hurt and cost more than that package. Also the download was $20 more, though I might have gone with that anyway if it weren't for the cable.

In any case, since it's the only Xbox One game that I own on disc it lives in the drive, so it's not like I have to get off my ass to play the game (actually, I do have to go over to the Xbox to grab the cable but I don't have to find the disc ). If I see the download go on sale I'll double dip for it and ditch the disc, but not for the $60 everyday price.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 01-01-2016, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Well, I've about 200 blu-rays. Smaller even w/ a blu-ray drive, and no loss of performance/functionality? Now I'm interested...besides, they have already made a slim b4.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 01-02-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
As long as there are Internet caps, there will be people who want physical games. And the day will come when Microsoft turns off the Xbox 360 servers, and many of the digital download games stop working. Yes, it's not likely to happen for a LONG time, but there are folks out there that like to fire up their Atari 2600s, NES, Genesises (Genesi?), but once everything is digital, we're at the mercy of the provider.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 777
I would upgrade all 3 of mine to a all digital Xbox One.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

The 5.0 is here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition