The Official Xbox One thread... - Page 697 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1650Likes

post #20881 of 21438 Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
Finally, DX12 games starting to come out. Hopefully it helps out the Xbox as much as it's helped out PCs. Considering that AMD architecture especially has benefitted from DX12, it's good to know that Microsoft didn't go with Nvidia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWamwzhQ34
I'm not so sure on this yet. Gears ultimate was a complete mess. It's like the Q&A people were asleep when they sent it to the PC and it's bad for AMD and Nvidia. As for Ashes of the singularity I saw a decrease in the new version which surprised me. I'm not holding out much hope that the X1 gets much use out of DX12. I think the real benefit of it will be the porting of games and crossplay, but not having another gpu under the hood kind of blows

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20882 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I'm not so sure on this yet. Gears ultimate was a complete mess. It's like the Q&A people were asleep when they sent it to the PC and it's bad for AMD and Nvidia. As for Ashes of the singularity I saw a decrease in the new version which surprised me. I'm not holding out much hope that the X1 gets much use out of DX12. I think the real benefit of it will be the porting of games and crossplay, but not having another gpu under the hood kind of blows

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/t...dia-star-swarm

Ashes of the Singularity is yielding significant increases especially if you have an AMD card. And that's still factoring in thousands of light sources with DX12 versus DX11 being limited to 8 light sources.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...rity-Benchmark

You see the AMD getting 30-80% increase in FPS depending on the CPU.

http://wccftech.com/ashes-singularit...x12-benchmark/
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/21...o-head-to-head
post #20883 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I have it and ran the benchmark. Yes there is is an improvement, but when they updated they latest beta my score went down on dx12

Edit. The best PC setup going forward is going AMD and Nvidia 900 series cards in tandum. I expect nvidia numbers to go up once they release updated drivers enabling asynchronous compute on the 900 series.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 03-03-2016 at 01:22 AM.
post #20884 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
I've been dealing with this for a few months as well, with one difference...I have to re-insert the disc several times before it will read. And only when swapping discs to a new/different game. I assumed that I was experiencing a disc drive failure, except that, if I leave the disc in the drive, it will play every time. EVERY time...

I have been scouring the net for similar stories and have turned up nothing.
Some people have reported that if you hold the disc a little while inserting it, I.e. while the mechanism is trying to pull it in, hold the sides of the disc, or a finger on the top and make the XBOX struggle a little to pull it in, That makes it read it. Haven't tried it myself. Give it a go and let us know.
kevin g. and BDUB619 like this.
post #20885 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

Apparently it's an anomaly with the fury X? I've seen others saying the 290/390 and below run fine. Seems very VRAM heavy either way, but that's expected nowadays. I haven't picked it up yet myself though, too much else to play.

DX12 will be great for the Xbox though....anything they can do to make up for the piddly CPU they put in there will help. I bet games are a lot more API bound on console than on PC right now. But long term DX12 will mostly be great because it breaks the dependence on the original hardware.

It got me wondering though....they say they want things to be forward compatible, but I can't see devs adding in a bunch of graphics options. That's so anti-console. So the forward compatibility may be reliant on devs going back and patching their game to support higher resolution/settings....and I'm not so sure how many devs are going to do that. It would be an outrage if they tried to charge for it though. Hopefully MS has a plan here.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #20886 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuss View Post
Some people have reported that if you hold the disc a little while inserting it, I.e. while the mechanism is trying to pull it in, hold the sides of the disc, or a finger on the top and make the XBOX struggle a little to pull it in, That makes it read it. Haven't tried it myself. Give it a go and let us know.
If you got to do all of that, change the console. Especially if your under warranty. If you are under warranty I don't get why anyone is spending time on any methods.
onlysublime likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #20887 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Apparently it's an anomaly with the fury X? I've seen others saying the 290/390 and below run fine. Seems very VRAM heavy either way, but that's expected nowadays. I haven't picked it up yet myself though, too much else to play.

DX12 will be great for the Xbox though....anything they can do to make up for the piddly CPU they put in there will help. I bet games are a lot more API bound on console than on PC right now. But long term DX12 will mostly be great because it breaks the dependence on the original hardware.

It got me wondering though....they say they want things to be forward compatible, but I can't see devs adding in a bunch of graphics options. That's so anti-console. So the forward compatibility may be reliant on devs going back and patching their game to support higher resolution/settings....and I'm not so sure how many devs are going to do that. It would be an outrage if they tried to charge for it though. Hopefully MS has a plan here.
thats where I think this may ultimately fail. The whole purpose of a single architecture is that everyone has a known platform going forward for development. So if they start doing hardware revisions, then either games wont be supported on a 2yr old console and piss off the consumer or more development time will need to be spent supporting 1 or 2 generations of hardware. Thats not going to be cheap.
post #20888 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
thats where I think this may ultimately fail. The whole purpose of a single architecture is that everyone has a known platform going forward for development. So if they start doing hardware revisions, then either games wont be supported on a 2yr old console and piss off the consumer or more development time will need to be spent supporting 1 or 2 generations of hardware. Thats not going to be cheap.
I remember saying a year ago it wouldn't make sense because imagine more than 2 revisions on a shelf for someone to choose. Like u said at some point someone would have to upgrade to be able to benefit. The plan to be like iPhones won't work. It works in the mobile industry. I don't see how this becomes a benefit to every potential consumer.

The 5.0 is here
post #20889 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's really not a problem with modern games. They're already made to scale across everything from integrated GPUs up to quad-SLI Titans. The whole point of DX12 is that it's not tied to the underlying hardware architecture, so it's not a matter of *if* it runs, it's just how well.

You take any game and GPU reqs are linearly proportional to resolution. If you need X number of CUs, shader cores, etc for 720p, you need 2X for 1080p. And then 4x that for 4K. Same with VRAM, the reqs increase proportionally to texture resolution and screen resolution. Real easy to turn those down. Dev time isn't even a factor, every PC gamer can tweak these knobs in like a minute.

I don't expect they will over complicate things by changing anything but the GPU for quite a while, and that part really is that super easy to scale. Like its so straightforward you can use emulators to run ancient N64 and PS2 games in 4K. Once they upgrade the CPU it gets a lot trickier, but it'll most likely mean the high end gets held back by the old spec for a few years. Once they get variable refresh rate into TVs and consoles even that issue mostly goes away too though.

post #20890 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
I remember saying a year ago it wouldn't make sense because imagine more than 2 revisions on a shelf for someone to choose. Like u said at some point someone would have to upgrade to be able to benefit. The plan to be like iPhones won't work. It works in the mobile industry. I don't see how this becomes a benefit to every potential consumer.

What's so confusing about 2 different models? They already have a bunch as it is right now.

post #20891 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What's so confusing about 2 different models? They already have a bunch as it is right now.
You not paying attention. 2 different models. Cool. Now start adding revision 3, 4 and 5 on the shelf. That's where the problem comes in if that is the thinking here. Trying to mirror a yearly or 2 year update doesn't sound good like it is with iPhones.

The 5.0 is here
post #20892 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post
You not paying attention. 2 different models. Cool. Now start adding revision 3, 4 and 5 on the shelf. That's where the problem comes in if that is the thinking here. Trying to mirror a yearly or 2 year update doesn't sound good like it is with iPhones.

No way they're going to have more than 2 or 3 specs on sale at once, that would be insane. 3 different choices of good, better and best is easy enough for any consumer to understand.

post #20893 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

People are not going to pay PC prices for consoles. None of the Steam machines or premade machines sell in huge quantities. If they make the new machine the same price how are they going to move old inventory.
post #20894 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
People are not going to pay PC prices for consoles. None of the Steam machines or premade machines sell in huge quantities. If they make the new machine the same price how are they going to move old inventory.

By discounting the old one?

post #20895 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
By discounting the old one?
but they wont be able to play any new games?
post #20896 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill of materials as well as cost of logistics make dropping prices prohibitive. It's just not worth the effort. Why sell a 10 GB hdd when there's no way to sell it at a reasonable price when manufacturing the 1TB drove costs the same. And it's hard to move older gen hardware.
post #20897 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Official Xbox One thread...

Quote:
Bill of materials as well as cost of logistics make dropping prices prohibitive. It's just not worth the effort. Why sell a 10 GB hdd when there's no way to sell it at a reasonable price when manufacturing the 1TB drove costs the same. And it's hard to move older gen hardware.

You're way overthinking this. They already do price drops, often tied to new "slim" models. All they'd do is reintroduce a product at the higher price point.

So right now, the Xbox one is $349, right? Imagine a year from now, they finally die shrink it and release the Xbox one slim for $299. Then they also introduce the Xbox Pro, for $499. Maybe even use the same chassis as the original xbox one, redesign the faceplate or whatever. Everything can stay the same but the motherboard, so they don't have completely redesign it.

Whether or not the Xbox pro exists, the Xbox one is getting to $299 pretty soon anyway. So it's not like the $499 model is forcing it down, consoles always get redesigned and go down in price a few years later. This just introduces a new price tier above that. The $299 slim will still probably be the volume seller.

Last edited by bd2003; 03-03-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #20898 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
but they wont be able to play any new games?

Of course they will. Don't think of it like the new 3ds or whatever, where there are specific games to it. It's an Xbox one with a better GPU. Still the same games.

post #20899 of 21438 Old 03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 681
A lot of this story is based on unnamed sources but the author has had pretty reliable sources in the past for upcoming Windows 10 builds. I am highlighting the parts that pertain the recent discussion. Redstone is the next major release for Windows 10.

Quote:
We already know that Redstone will launch in two waves, the first of which will be happening in June. This first update is being developed under the tag RS1, and according to my sources who are familiar with the matter, will focus mostly on the convergence of different Windows 10 devices such as PC, Xbox and Phone. RS1 will heavily concentrate on the Universal App Platform, bringing the Windows Store to Xbox One and introducing more Project Centennial and Islandwood apps to the Store.

There will also be a bigger focus on universal AAA video game titles between Xbox and PC, which is something we have already started seeing as of recently. In short, the Windows Store in RS1 aims to be a hub for all media-related content on the Windows platform, accessible from any Windows 10 device.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-...ming-this-june

Last edited by spid; 03-03-2016 at 06:34 PM.
post #20900 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hello. Is there a way to change the "Change gamerpic" image or icon? I would like to know if you can upload your own image, like an image that you created yourself?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by mantaraydesign; 03-04-2016 at 10:51 AM.
post #20901 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Questions about charging the wireless controller? I am not using batteries to with the wireless controller. I am using the cable that connect from the wireless controller to the xbox one.

How long does it take to fully charge the wireless controller? Does the xbox one need to stay on in order to charge the wireless controller? Or can I turn off the xbox one while charging the wireless controller?

Also, can I charge the wireless controller from my PC using the cable?

Thanks for any advice!
post #20902 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Xbox One Elite Controller ordered. Not one Best buy had them in Stock in all of Oregon. On the bright side I saved $.99 going through Amazon Too bad I have to wait until Wed!
aaronwt, dbburns, DaverJ and 1 others like this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #20903 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post
Questions about charging the wireless controller? I am not using batteries to with the wireless controller. I am using the cable that connect from the wireless controller to the xbox one.

How long does it take to fully charge the wireless controller? Does the xbox one need to stay on in order to charge the wireless controller? Or can I turn off the xbox one while charging the wireless controller?

Also, can I charge the wireless controller from my PC using the cable?

Thanks for any advice!
You can leave the the Xbox One off to charge the wireless controller. You can also use your PC using the cable. Hell you should be able to use the controller and cable to play the controller on the PC!

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 03-04-2016 at 02:45 PM.
post #20904 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Hello. Is there a way to change the "Change gamerpic" image or icon? I would like to know if you can upload your own image, like an image that you created yourself?

Thanks for any advice!
That's your gamerpic, you cannot upload your own image unfortunately:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-acc...ic-on-xbox-one

Xbox Live Gamertag: TurdFerguson64
PSN Gamertag: TurdFerguson_64
post #20905 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked: 1257
If they allowed arbitrary images people would upload all manner of obscenity.
Nayan likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #20906 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
If they allowed arbitrary images people would upload all manner of obscenity.
PSN allows you to upload your own avatar image and I've never seen obscenity. The possibility of an account/console ban is all the deterrent needed. The more likely reason is that there is less incentive to buy avatar crap if you can upload whatever you want.
post #20907 of 21438 Old 03-04-2016, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis View Post
PSN allows you to upload your own avatar image and I've never seen obscenity. The possibility of an account/console ban is all the deterrent needed. The more likely reason is that there is less incentive to buy avatar crap if you can upload whatever you want.
There's been plenty of obscenity. You probably weren't around when they had Uno for the Xbox that supported the webcam. So many times guys would be showing their junk, especially if girls were around.
post #20908 of 21438 Old 03-05-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis View Post

But only friends that you share your real name can see that uploaded picture. The other friends and anyone else will only see the other avatar you have chosen. Yes some of my own friends have obscene pics. We find it funny in our small circle but it would be out of control if you could see any random person.

One of the greatest posts I have read

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/142-pl...l#post24609271
post #20909 of 21438 Old 03-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Is there a way to backup your game into a USB thumb drive? My daughter is playing the game Minecraft and I need to reset the Xbox One to factory setting. But before I do that, I wanted to know if I can backup her game where she left off. If I can not back up her game, she will have to start her game all over again.

Thanks for any advice!
post #20910 of 21438 Old 03-05-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a way to backup your game into a USB thumb drive? My daughter is playing the game Minecraft and I need to reset the Xbox One to factory setting. But before I do that, I wanted to know if I can backup her game where she left off. If I can not back up her game, she will have to start her game all over again.

Thanks for any advice!
The game save is in the cloud so there's no need to copy it to a thumb drive. You do need an Xbox Live account but you don't need a Gold account. Xbox Live Free is sufficient for Xbox One.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...game-saves-faq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Monoprice , Xbox One Console Day One Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page